The Good, Bad, and the Ugly from Gold Rush

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BethanyCordell
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: The Good, Bad, and the Ugly from Gold Rush

Post by BethanyCordell » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:08 am
I also thought the gameday production was awesome. Got rid of some of the lame cams. Added some good classic sing alongs. Horses and pyro are always awesome. Good job @BethanyCordell and crew.

Also. Student section was awesome. Band was huge! the entire crowd was in mid season form. .
Hey thanks! Lots of work by lots of people in the offseason, so that first game is always such a reward for us to see FINALLY happen.

Ya'll better be back in two weeks!

Bethany Cordell
Bobcat Athletics

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:20 pm

One bad. In the intro's one player's name was used twice. Once for himself and once for someone else.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:26 pm

allcat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:20 pm
One bad. In the intro's one player's name was used twice. Once for himself and once for someone else.
Konkel wasnt mentioned, Allen was mentioned twice

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:46 pm

BethanyCordell wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm
wbtfg wrote:
I also thought the gameday production was awesome. Got rid of some of the lame cams. Added some good classic sing alongs. Horses and pyro are always awesome. Good job @BethanyCordell and crew.

Also. Student section was awesome. Band was huge! the entire crowd was in mid season form. .
Hey thanks! Lots of work by lots of people in the offseason, so that first game is always such a reward for us to see FINALLY happen.

Bethany Cordell
Bobcat Athletics

I will be back Bethany...and, oh, by the way......Walmart had lots of White Claw........FYI

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:36 pm

110010110 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:26 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:26 pm
Good: Andersen’s Jumbotron intro. That was like Peyton Manning funny. Whoever had that idea should get a raise. Two Cool Cats right there.
In case anyone missed his intro:

Anderson’s intro was great!

I also enjoyed Sterks intro:

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:40 am

The Big Meowski wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:08 pm
tdub wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:45 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:57 pm
Stadium game announcer did a great job, but where was the 3rd down music?
It played. The crowd was louder. =D^
That’s crazy. Now that I think about it, I couldn’t tell you songs/or songs played on third down. That’s loud.
If anything I think they need to let the crowd know its 3rd down sooner. Not as the other team is lining up. But as soon as the previous play is over.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:47 am

Some of those passes by Boomer(Bauman)(Boomin Bauman) looked prettay. There was one that he threw over towards our sideline during the 3rd or 4th that was a nice spiral on a rope that just looked beautiful.

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:46 am

MountainCat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am
-Good: Casey Bauman played damn good football last night, especially considering this is his second game. He looks solid and confident leading this team, especially with his very limited experience, that gets me excited for his future! Casey, Troy, and Travis seem to be comfortable being constantly switched in and out which provides a lot of confusing looks for the defense. The D-line is a beast! Bryce Sterk is a quarterback eating MONSTER! If the D-line was heavily involved in the play, they created havoc and mismatches most of the time.

-We played 2 inspired, dominating quarters of football

-The Bad: I believe that part of the reason Casey misses on some of those passes is simply because he has a hard time getting in a rhythm when it’s constant substitution in and out with Anderson and Johnson. Casey will get better with his touch...

-I’ll likely get flamed for this, but... Our defense was excellent last night on the line and for much of our linebacker play, but I thought our back end play SUCKED! Intermediate throws were typically wide open and allowed solid gains almost every time. There were some HUGE holes on a few run plays that should have been stopped 3-6 yards deep, and we didn’t have a defensive player within several yards. I’m not sure if that’s inexperience or scheme creating the gaps, but they need to tighten it up... We gave up 2 passing touchdowns that should have been easily defended, and the scrambling, no look, lob-it-up catch/score in the end zone with 2 clueless Bobcat defenders within feet of the receiver was just embarrassing! We were also lucky on a few passing plays that would have gone for large gains had the receiver caught (very catchable) balls when our guys were simply beat. We got the win, and it looked the part, and we are improving, but there is still work to be done in my opinion on our D. Like everyone else I’m excited for the win last night, but I also think we can clean it up and improve substantially, it’s going to matter in the next 6-8 weeks...

-We played 2 lifeless quarters.
You are a tool and should not be allowed to watch any more games! Our Secondary on the majority of passing plays held for 6-10 seconds before a sack, hurried throw or a short dump pass was completed. Do you have any idea how hard it is cover in the secondary let alone 6-10 seconds??
This should be a post on the Official-unofficial “Hot pocket eating” game day thread.. You missed your bus....

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:56 am

Yea I think several of the sacks were coverage sacks.

SEMO did drop a wide open pass over the middle, and the TD lob was bad, but other than that I thought they played pretty well. Remember this is a group without a 1st team preseason selection Greg Filer.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:29 am

1984champ wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:51 am
Ugly: No clue or defense of the onside kick. It worked out as our defense got the stop but we gave up an offensive possession with the chance to score points and run time off the clock.
Agree, we totally unprepared. No excuse for that.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:36 am

imacat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:29 am
1984champ wrote:
Ugly: No clue or defense of the onside kick. It worked out as our defense got the stop but we gave up an offensive possession with the chance to score points and run time off the clock.
It would be interesting to hear the commentary behind that. Not sure if it was a coaching/schematic error or a lapse of concentration error. When we were lining up, I remember thinking that an onside kick was possible and when I looked at our alignment, it appeared we had more guys up front than normal.

That said, when the kicker approached the ball, at least some of the guys up front were started running back getting ready to set up the return.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:39 am

THE GOOD
My first game back in Bozeman since 1981. Impressed. Patti has never been to that type of game. She has been at Sac a few times and once at unr for a CAT game. Sac is like warm, sour milk. She ABSOLUTELY LOVED it.
The BOBCAT D was so much fun to watch. If not for 3 great grabs (by my memory) by SEMO it would been even more lopsided. Depth looks incredible, different "schemes" being run in and out.
Impressed with the offensive groups that were being shuttled in and out. Great depth there also. Thought CB looked good. I think he has a good touch. His throws may have been a fingertip or so long but that is better than a fingertip or two short. Adrenaline...
Was in the Field House before the game and got to meet Coach Choate.
Was able to visit the BOBCATNATION tailgate. Good to meet KMAX and tdub. Also visited the Triangle tailgate.
The FANS!!!

THE BAD
ST play was iffy. Mixed results there.
Really saw some strange officiating. The Kassis call and what seemed to be a VERY LONG walkoff. Where should that spot have been. Saw a facemask/hold that went unnoticed. A PF on the CATS that I though should have been a possible ejection on SEMO. Calls didn't really hurt either team but just some strange calls/noncalls.

The ugly
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sweet Caroline but that is probably a big minority from the response in the stands.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:40 am

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:36 am
imacat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:29 am
1984champ wrote:
It would be interesting to hear the commentary behind that. Not sure if it was a coaching/schematic error or a lapse of concentration error. When we were lining up, I remember thinking that an onside kick was possible and when I looked at our alignment, it appeared we had more guys up front than normal.

That said, when the kicker approached the ball, at least some of the guys up front were started running back getting ready to set up the return.
Yes, forgot about the onside kick...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:13 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:23 pm
MountainCat wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:59 am
wbtfg wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 am
MountainCat wrote:
-Good: Casey Bauman played damn good football last night, especially considering this is his second game. He looks solid and confident leading this team, especially with his very limited experience, that gets me excited for his future! Casey, Troy, and Travis seem to be comfortable being constantly switched in and out which provides a lot of confusing looks for the defense. The D-line is a beast! Bryce Sterk is a quarterback eating MONSTER! If the D-line was heavily involved in the play, they created havoc and mismatches most of the time.

-The Bad: I believe that part of the reason Casey misses on some of those passes is simply because he has a hard time getting in a rhythm when it’s constant substitution in and out with Anderson and Johnson. Casey will get better with his touch...

-I’ll likely get flamed for this, but... Our defense was excellent last night on the line and for much of our linebacker play, but I thought our back end play SUCKED! Intermediate throws were typically wide open and allowed solid gains almost every time. There were some HUGE holes on a few run plays that should have been stopped 3-6 yards deep, and we didn’t have a defensive player within several yards. I’m not sure if that’s inexperience or scheme creating the gaps, but they need to tighten it up... We gave up 2 passing touchdowns that should have been easily defended, and the scrambling, no look, lob-it-up catch/score in the end zone with 2 clueless Bobcat defenders within feet of the receiver was just embarrassing! We were also lucky on a few passing plays that would have gone for large gains had the receiver caught (very catchable) balls when our guys were simply beat. We got the win, and it looked the part, and we are improving, but there is still work to be done in my opinion on our D. Like everyone else I’m excited for the win last night, but I also think we can clean it up and improve substantially, it’s going to matter in the next 6-8 weeks...

My perception of the DBs was totally different.

Their stud QB went 13/28 for 114 yards. That’s pretty damn good defense. Their preseason all American WR had 77 yards.

Also I consider that long ball down the sideline a lucky fluke. Our guys were both playing the ball in the air and I think they ran into each other and the ball landed right in the WRs hands.

I would have liked to have held them to zero yards passing, but that’s just not going to happen.

Ha ha ha! Maybe I’m looking at it the wrong way and I want too much fellas, I’m selfish like that!! 😂

Personally, I felt the low passing yards from SEMO we’re because of the constant pressure up front and collapsing pocket around the QB, not because our DB’s were smothering their receivers. I feel like better passing teams will exploit us on short to medium passes this season IF we don’t tighten up there. I may be wrong fellas, I truly hope I am.

So yep, I’m being score stingy. 😁 I’m a HUGE believer in Coach Choate and the culture he’s growing here for Montana State, selfishly I just want to see this team that I feel is incredibly talented be top tier because I know they can be. Last night we soundly beat a team ranked a spot ahead of us and there was no question that we were the DOMINANT team for at least 2+ quarters. I’m excited to see us put it all together and continue to grow! So please forgive me for a bit of selfish ambition for our team guys, too much early enthusiasm I guess...... 😉
I'm actually with you on this. A lot of times a strength can cover up a weakness. I don't think the back end is a weakness for the Bobcats, but it wasn't great in the game. Or maybe it was schematic, I probably need to watch again. But Santacaterina missed on a bunch of throws and every one of them seemed to be due to the pressure up front. But so many of those throws were intended for an open receiver. I think if you strictly look at the stats, I think that story is more about the pressure on the QB. And maybe that strength is going to be good enough all season, but if somebody figures out how to protect a QB (big IF), that could bear fruit.
I can't really say if our DB group is strong or weak at this point, but do know that Santacatarina has a habit of carving up backends if he has time to throw, and simply couldn't in this last game due to pressure got on him.
Last edited by codecat on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:24 pm

codecat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:13 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
MountainCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
MountainCat wrote:

I can't really say if our DB group is strong or weak at this point, but do know that Santacatarina has a habit of carving up backends if he has time to throw, and simply couldn't in this last game due to pressure got on him.

Their stud QB went 13/28 for 114 yards. That’s pretty damn good defense. Their preseason all American WR had 77 yards.

Also I consider that long ball down the sideline a lucky fluke. Our guys were both playing the ball in the air and I think they ran into each other and the ball landed right in the WRs hands.

I would have liked to have held them to zero yards passing, but that’s just not going to happen.

Ha ha ha! Maybe I’m looking at it the wrong way and I want too much fellas, I’m selfish like that!! 😂

Personally, I felt the low passing yards from SEMO we’re because of the constant pressure up front and collapsing pocket around the QB, not because our DB’s were smothering their receivers. I feel like better passing teams will exploit us on short to medium passes this season IF we don’t tighten up there. I may be wrong fellas, I truly hope I am.

So yep, I’m being score stingy. 😁 I’m a HUGE believer in Coach Choate and the culture he’s growing here for Montana State, selfishly I just want to see this team that I feel is incredibly talented be top tier because I know they can be. Last night we soundly beat a team ranked a spot ahead of us and there was no question that we were the DOMINANT team for at least 2+ quarters. I’m excited to see us put it all together and continue to grow! So please forgive me for a bit of selfish ambition for our team guys, too much early enthusiasm I guess...... 😉
I'm actually with you on this. A lot of times a strength can cover up a weakness. I don't think the back end is a weakness for the Bobcats, but it wasn't great in the game. Or maybe it was schematic, I probably need to watch again. But Santacaterina missed on a bunch of throws and every one of them seemed to be due to the pressure up front. But so many of those throws were intended for an open receiver. I think if you strictly look at the stats, I think that story is more about the pressure on the QB. And maybe that strength is going to be good enough all season, but if somebody figures out how to protect a QB (big IF), that could bear fruit.
I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I think there's a bit of confusing a good defensive game passing yard stat-wise with having a solid secondary. On the TV broadcast, it looked like at times there were a lot of soft spots in the zone with open receivers that were missed. The dominance of the Dline covered a lot of those mistakes in this game however, which is a good thing. Hopefully I am wrong, and the secondary is solid and buckles down, but the season will tell. I think the Cats keep it rolling this week and get a win on the road, and come back home to close out the non-conference schedule strong.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:55 pm

BethanyCordell wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm
wbtfg wrote:

Bethany Cordell
Bobcat Athletics
Yes good job Bethany!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:06 pm

bcats wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:49 pm
Merle Haggard “Somewhere in the middle of Montana” could be a big hit with everyone.
Boy....during one of those damn long commercial breaks, a good HD board showing that beautiful scenery and Merle playing in the background....yeah I could sing along with that.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:07 pm

msuhunter wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:24 pm
codecat wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:13 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
MountainCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
MountainCat wrote:

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I think there's a bit of confusing a good defensive game passing yard stat-wise with having a solid secondary. On the TV broadcast, it looked like at times there were a lot of soft spots in the zone with open receivers that were missed. The dominance of the Dline covered a lot of those mistakes in this game however, which is a good thing. Hopefully I am wrong, and the secondary is solid and buckles down, but the season will tell. I think the Cats keep it rolling this week and get a win on the road, and come back home to close out the non-conference schedule strong.
Just great overall team defense, which will only get better if we get some dudes healthy in the secondary.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:28 am

Most recently, a large contingent of Southeast Missouri State University fans joined our Redhawk football team on a trip to play the Montana State Bobcats in an exciting FCS match-up. While the outcome may not have been what the Redhawk faithful would have liked, the sting was made tolerable due to the hospitality, class and graciousness exhibited by the entire Bozeman and Bobcat nation!

From the moment we arrived in Bozeman, everyone was incredible and without exception, welcomed and thanked our group for making the trip! I could only hope the fine folks of Cape Girardeau would be as gracious and classy as the people of Bozeman were!

Upon arriving Friday night, we experienced the vibrant Bozeman nightlife and found ourselves in several friendly discussions with the Bobcat faithful. On Saturday morning we were greeted by the charismatic Montana State director of athletics, Mr. Leon Costello. He systematically walked us through the impressive football facility that is home to the MSU football team. He explained how the improvements have been funded and talked enthusiastically about the future phases that are being proposed. He took every opportunity to heap major praise on Montana State President Waded Cruzado for the leadership she has demonstrated as well as the students, faculty and entire Bobcat nation.

While our recent trip to Bozeman didn’t yield an outcome we would have preferred, it did showcase a shining example of a university that is on the move! But even more impressive was the entire Bozeman community! A community that all of you should be extremely proud of! Again, thank you for being wonderful hosts!

Jay B. Knudtson

Cape Girardeau, Missouri
https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/o ... n=bozchron

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:35 am

Classy.