Sagarin Rankings

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 13403
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Sagarin Rankings

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:45 am

John K wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:53 am
I can't imagine that they'd award 4 of the 8 seeds to BSC teams, even if they're legitimately deserving of that many (and I think they may be). I could see them getting 3 seeds though, with UM the odd man out. I think Sac and WSU are deserving of being seeded ahead of us, since they tied for the title, and Sac beat us easily. If they give the BSC a 3rd seed, we'd have to get the nod over UM, after the beatdown we gave them yesterday. I believe the BSC got 3 seeds last year...right?
What six teams besides Weber and SAC do you have getting seeded ahead of MSU?


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
catgrad05
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1742
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am
Location: North Central Montna

Re: Sagarin Rankings

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:56 am

The team I can’t figure out is Weber. Sac should be the highest rank out of BSC only one FCS loss. But that loss was to Weber who also has one FCS loss but wins the Auto Bid. The Big Sky is a mess for seeding and I don’t know if that’s helps or hurts the conference. If UND gets in that’s basically 5 teams that played a BSC conference schedule.



onceacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1621
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: Sagarin Rankings

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:59 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:45 am
John K wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:53 am
I can't imagine that they'd award 4 of the 8 seeds to BSC teams, even if they're legitimately deserving of that many (and I think they may be). I could see them getting 3 seeds though, with UM the odd man out. I think Sac and WSU are deserving of being seeded ahead of us, since they tied for the title, and Sac beat us easily. If they give the BSC a 3rd seed, we'd have to get the nod over UM, after the beatdown we gave them yesterday. I believe the BSC got 3 seeds last year...right?
What six teams besides Weber and SAC do you have getting seeded ahead of MSU?
A week ago, I didn't think the committee would go to 4 BSC teams...with the ISU & SDSU losses, its pretty possible.

So, to answer your question: NDSU & JMU obviously get the nod over MSU. Plus WSU & SSU...then, if I had my way, I'd slide anybody...maybe UNI or 'Nova, or even Wofford over MSU in order to make the QF matchup MSU vs Weber, instead of MSU vs Sac.

Last week, I would have thought a 34 point loss knocked the Griz out of the seeds...but do you give the nod to SDSU or ISU after losing to non-playoff teams...its hard to see that. Griz probably deserve the #8.



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 8081
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Sagarin Rankings

Post by John K » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:33 am

A few years ago, people were saying that the BSC was in decline...maybe only the 5th best FCS conference. Now it appears that it's stronger than it's ever been, and quite possibly the best conference in the nation, even better than the mighty MVFC. Of course the CAA and Southern have been weakened by the defections of several powerhouses programs to the FBS.



Catsrgrood
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm
Location: Billings

Re: Sagarin Rankings

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:02 pm

Might as well update again, added in Albany

Cats up 3 spots in the overall to 97th and 7th in the FCS.

Texas Tech- 50th overall, 49th in FBS (NDSU is 38th overall)
SEMO- 158th overall and 35th in FCS
WIU- 211th overall and 83rd in FCS
Norfolk State- 221st overall and 92nd in FCS
Albany- 139th overall and 21st in FCS

Big Sky (opponents in bold):

UM- 92nd overall, 4th in FCS
Weber-94th overall, 5th in FCS
Sac St- 96th overall, 6th in FCS
MSU- 97th overall, 7th in FCS
EWU- 123rd overall, 10th in FCS
UC Davis- 134th overall, 18th in FCS
North Dakota- 153rd overall, 32nd in FCS
Idaho- 155th overall, 34th in FCS
Portland State- 168th overall, 44th in FCS
Cal Poly- 174th overall, 49th in FCS
NAU- 177th overall, 52nd in FCS
Idaho State- 188th overall, 61st in FCS
Southern Utah- 189th overall, 62nd in FCS
Northern Colorado- 203rd overall, 75th in FCS

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Albany comes in between UC Davis and UND, making them the 4th toughest FCS opponent the Cats have faced up to this point.



Catsrgrood
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm
Location: Billings

Re: Sagarin Rankings

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:30 am

Cats up 7 spots in the overall to 90th and 4th in the FCS.

Texas Tech- 50th overall, 49th in FBS (NDSU is 37th overall)
SEMO- 158th overall and 35th in FCS
WIU- 210th overall and 82nd in FCS
Norfolk State- 221st overall and 92nd in FCS
Albany- 142nd overall and 24th in FCS
Austin Peay- 123rd overall and 10th in FCS

Big Sky (opponents in bold):

UM- 86th overall, 3rd in FCS
MSU- 90th overall, 4th in FCS
Weber- 93rd overall, 5th in FCS
Sac St- 110th overall, 8th in FCS
EWU- 124th overall, 11th in FCS
UC Davis- 134th overall, 18th in FCS
North Dakota- 154th overall, 33rd in FCS
Idaho- 156th overall, 34th in FCS
Portland State- 169th overall, 45th in FCS
Cal Poly- 174th overall, 49th in FCS
NAU- 177th overall, 52nd in FCS
Southern Utah- 187th overall, 60th in FCS
Idaho State- 189th overall, 62nd in FCS
Northern Colorado- 203rd overall, 75th in FCS

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Going off of these rankings, Austin Peay will be the 3rd toughest FCS opponents that Cats have faced this year.



User avatar
luckyirishguy25
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3608
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Sagarin Rankings

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:53 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:30 am
Cats up 7 spots in the overall to 90th and 4th in the FCS.

Texas Tech- 50th overall, 49th in FBS (NDSU is 37th overall)
SEMO- 158th overall and 35th in FCS
WIU- 210th overall and 82nd in FCS
Norfolk State- 221st overall and 92nd in FCS
Albany- 142nd overall and 24th in FCS
Austin Peay- 123rd overall and 10th in FCS

Big Sky (opponents in bold):

UM- 86th overall, 3rd in FCS
MSU- 90th overall, 4th in FCS
Weber- 93rd overall, 5th in FCS
Sac St- 110th overall, 8th in FCS
EWU- 124th overall, 11th in FCS
UC Davis- 134th overall, 18th in FCS
North Dakota- 154th overall, 33rd in FCS
Idaho- 156th overall, 34th in FCS
Portland State- 169th overall, 45th in FCS
Cal Poly- 174th overall, 49th in FCS
NAU- 177th overall, 52nd in FCS
Southern Utah- 187th overall, 60th in FCS
Idaho State- 189th overall, 62nd in FCS
Northern Colorado- 203rd overall, 75th in FCS

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Going off of these rankings, Austin Peay will be the 3rd toughest FCS opponents that Cats have faced this year.
I don't put much stock into ratings that have a team we absolutely own ahead of us.



Catsrgrood
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm
Location: Billings

Re: Sagarin Rankings

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:58 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:53 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:30 am
Cats up 7 spots in the overall to 90th and 4th in the FCS.

Texas Tech- 50th overall, 49th in FBS (NDSU is 37th overall)
SEMO- 158th overall and 35th in FCS
WIU- 210th overall and 82nd in FCS
Norfolk State- 221st overall and 92nd in FCS
Albany- 142nd overall and 24th in FCS
Austin Peay- 123rd overall and 10th in FCS

Big Sky (opponents in bold):

UM- 86th overall, 3rd in FCS
MSU- 90th overall, 4th in FCS
Weber- 93rd overall, 5th in FCS
Sac St- 110th overall, 8th in FCS
EWU- 124th overall, 11th in FCS
UC Davis- 134th overall, 18th in FCS
North Dakota- 154th overall, 33rd in FCS
Idaho- 156th overall, 34th in FCS
Portland State- 169th overall, 45th in FCS
Cal Poly- 174th overall, 49th in FCS
NAU- 177th overall, 52nd in FCS
Southern Utah- 187th overall, 60th in FCS
Idaho State- 189th overall, 62nd in FCS
Northern Colorado- 203rd overall, 75th in FCS

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Going off of these rankings, Austin Peay will be the 3rd toughest FCS opponents that Cats have faced this year.
I don't put much stock into ratings that have a team we absolutely own ahead of us.
Again, it’s a computer algorithm that takes into account full body of work and strength of schedule. Both Cats and griz are ahead of Sac St now since they lost yesterday even though they both got worked by them a few weeks ago.

It’s not meant to be the end all of rankings, but it’s interesting to track throughout the season. It’s widely regarded as the go to for computer rankings, but still isn’t perfect.



Post Reply