The Bobcat Outsider

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Bobcat Outsider

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:40 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:57 pm
allcat wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:29 pm
:evil: I watched it. I could feel how he was trying to get inside my mind. In the past I would not have known it. The saner posters on the board have now alerted me to Choate trying to get inside all of our heads. :twisted:
I agree. Felt like he was playing mind games with everyone in the room that entire press conference...
Yep, and it was totally obvious when he said, direct quote, "There are no superstars on this team", he was effing with the heads of several players, including Troy Andersen. :roll:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:26 am

Drinking the cool aid man, drinking the cool aid! :suds:

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:02 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:10 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:03 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:44 pm
Thanks Driscoll, good stuff! Can someone post the Choate interview? Can't find it.
The upload just finished! It was pushed back a day because of some youth event held in the fieldhouse (along with Veterans' Day).

Here it is!

9:55 - 10:45 =D^

+1 Definitely worth listening to

FTG- GO CATS GO!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:41 am

Very astute observation by Choate.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:43 am

:lol: You said ass toot!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:52 am

DriscollCat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Thanks Driscoll, good stuff! Can someone post the Choate interview? Can't find it.
The upload just finished! It was pushed back a day because of some youth event held in the fieldhouse (along with Veterans' Day).

Here it is!

Some youth event in the Fieldhouse? WBB vs Carroll in the annual School Days game. :D

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Such a complete contrast listening to our guy vs the other guy. It's painfully obvious that Booby hates the media.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:57 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:52 am
DriscollCat wrote:
catatac wrote:

Here it is!

Some youth event in the Fieldhouse? WBB vs Carroll in the annual School Days game. :D
Haha, my mistake. I was reading between the lines from Choate’s comment of thousands of screaming kids (or something to that effect).

Apologies to our excellent women’s basketball team!

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RockyBearCat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:06 pm

Pretty cool aspect of TEAM when he ran down the numbers of players in certain areas. As coach said, it would be difficult to find these kinds of stats anywhere in football.

5 different "QBs" with TD passes this year. =D^

#1 rushing team in Big Sky but no individual higher than sixth.
18 different ball carriers (8 w/ 20 or more rushes) :shock:
10 carriers with a TD this year
7 carriers with 100+ yard games

17 different players with receptions
8 different receivers with TD catches

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 pm

RockyBearCat wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:06 pm
Pretty cool aspect of TEAM when he ran down the numbers of players in certain areas. As coach said, it would be difficult to find these kinds of stats anywhere in football.

I’ll try to name the TDs from memory:
“QBs” with TDs - Andersen, Rovig, Bauman, Jonsen, ???
Carriers with TDs - Andersen, Rovig, Ifanse, Jones, Sumner, Marshall, Jonsen, Perry, ???, ???
Receivers - Steel, Kassis, Scrempos, Snell, Jones, Sumner, ??? (Guessing Jonsen, but I don’t remember him catching one).

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:15 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 pm
RockyBearCat wrote:

Carriers with TDs - Andersen, Rovig, Ifanse, Jones, Sumner, Marshall, Jonsen, Perry, ???, ???
Receivers - Steel, Kassis, Scrempos, Snell, Jones, Sumner, ??? (Guessing Jonsen, but I don’t remember him catching one).
I believe Kassis has a TD pass vs SUU
other carriers O'reilly, Tucker, Hosey
Recievers Jaden Smith

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:15 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 pm
RockyBearCat wrote:

I believe Kassis has a TD pass vs SUU
other carriers O'reilly, Tucker, Hosey
Recievers Jaden Smith
https://montana_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/football/teamcume.htm

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:39 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:33 am
So, I should have mentioned that the Midweek Press Conference was delayed until tomorrow - In case you have been looking for that.

The good news is that it meant that I have been able to put together this week's episode of the Bobcat Outsider earlier than usual.

Here is my review of the Northern Colorado game along with a preview of the UC Davis game.

Thanks for watching!

Thanks for the video Driscoll Cat. I would agree that everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, I certainly wouldn't want my professional weaknesses under the same amount of scrutiny that Choate receives every week. However, there have been some glaring inadequacies in offensive scheme and skill player development at times. Playing devils advocate. . . what is Bobby Haucks weakness? How about Beau Baldwin when he was in the Big Sky? I really can't think of one area in which they were subpar.

Choate is a GOOD coach right now. . . but we will get beaten by teams of equal talent unless we can put it all together. I'm optimistic that we are starting to get there.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:02 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:39 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
So, I should have mentioned that the Midweek Press Conference was delayed until tomorrow - In case you have been looking for that.

The good news is that it meant that I have been able to put together this week's episode of the Bobcat Outsider earlier than usual.

Here is my review of the Northern Colorado game along with a preview of the UC Davis game.

Thanks for watching!

Thanks for the video Driscoll Cat. I would agree that everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, I certainly wouldn't want my professional weaknesses under the same amount of scrutiny that Choate receives every week. However, there have been some glaring inadequacies in offensive scheme and skill player development at times. Playing devils advocate. . . what is Bobby Haucks weakness? How about Beau Baldwin when he was in the Big Sky? I really can't think of one area in which they were subpar.

Choate is a GOOD coach right now. . . but we will get beaten by teams of equal talent unless we can put it all together. I'm optimistic that we are starting to get there.
You make good points. Let me clarify my position on two fronts:

First: I have my opinions on Haucks weaknesses, but I prefer not to get into them. I don’t know what Baldwin’s were, but I’m sure he had them. My perspective isn’t that all coaches are equal, but that even though they have a perceived weakness, we, as fans and amateurs really have to judge them based on results rather than particular aspects of their game.

Second: I was bummed that I forgot to boil my point down all the way to this - if the team’s talent exceeds the coaches ability to scheme for it, a fan can’t complain about the coaches lack of ability to game plan or adjust to a level commensurate with the talent, without at the same time acknowledging that the coach is a superior recruiter.

Half the reason a guy couldn’t keep up with great talent is Because he brings in great talent.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:41 am

Its no different in business, you may be good at product development (scheme), production (coaching) or sales (recruiting) but rarely do you find someone good at all 3 phases. That's where management comes in, good management will identify people that excel in each phase and use them to better the company. Poor management tends to look at whichever disciple they come from and promote it over the others.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:31 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

Thanks for watching!

What “is” Bobby Hauck’s “weakness?” Here are some of his weaknesses:
1) recruiting. He failed to adequately vet players.
2) leadership/role model. Some of his players seemed to adopt Hauck’s arrogant personality and it cost them.
3) big games. Lost all 3 championship games. Lost at home in first round when #1 seed to Wofford.
4) decision making. Called same play after TO vs. MSU in 2018. Stubborn. Many big games were lost due to this, especially Villanova.

It isn’t all about on-field success. UM had (still has in some ways) huge advantages when he was there the first time and the conference wasn’t as good.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:04 pm

I still find it humorous that Hauck was all but ran out of town his first time around. People were growing very thin of him losing in big games, Big Game Bobby. I still feel he got out while the getting was good because it wasn't going to be long before for sale signs started popping up on his lawn - which just goes to show you how spoiled and delusional Griz fans are. Now that they have seen the grass isn't greener they are eating him up like a hog does slop.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:10 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:04 pm
I still find it humorous that Hauck was all but ran out of town his first time around. People were growing very thin of him losing in big games, Big Game Bobby. I still feel he got out while the getting was good because it wasn't going to be long before for sale signs started popping up on his lawn - which just goes to show you how spoiled and delusional Griz fans are. Now that they have seen the grass isn't greener they are eating him up like a hog does slop.
:lol:

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:37 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:31 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:

Thanks for watching!

What “is” Bobby Hauck’s “weakness?” Here are some of his weaknesses:
1) recruiting. He failed to adequately vet players.
2) leadership/role model. Some of his players seemed to adopt Hauck’s arrogant personality and it cost them.
3) big games. Lost all 3 championship games. Lost at home in first round when #1 seed to Wofford.
4) decision making. Called same play after TO vs. MSU in 2018. Stubborn. Many big games were lost due to this, especially Villanova.

It isn’t all about on-field success. UM had (still has in some ways) huge advantages when he was there the first time and the conference wasn’t as good.
I don't agree with number 3. .. when we make even one national championship game we can start this conversation. I haven't seen our cats make the big game and I'm not exactly young

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:59 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:04 pm
Agree. Very interesting game in Missoula this weekend. Some of the score predictions are absolutely crazy... most have the Griz winning and a lot of posters have the Grizzlies blowing Weber out. That simply is just not going to happen, .00001% chance.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!