Path to the Playoffs - 2019 Edition

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: Path to the Playoffs - 2019 Edition

Post by catatac » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:45 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:41 pm
Looking at the tea leaves, I think MSU is currently 10th in the eyes of FCS bracket makers. The loser of SDSU/UNI won't be a seeded team above a 9-2 FCS MSU team nor would UM in this instance. I think - barring any REAL upsets - NDSU, Weber, JMU, Sac State, Illinois State, and the winner of UNI/SDSU will be ranked above the Cats if we win out. Furman still has a tough game against Wofford, so I'm 50/50 if they survive. That leaves MSU with a max seed of #7 barring major upsets.

I also believe Weber earns the #2 seed if they win out. Their body of work would be significantly better than JMU. If MSU runs the table, I believe they get paired with Weber, not NDSU.
You think Weber gets the #2 over JMU if they both win out? I doubt that.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Catprint
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Catprint » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:05 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:39 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:28 am
Great stuff as always but I have spot of opposition. Under the Weber vs UM game you state you are rooting for UM to help the Cats get a seed. I don't think it matters.

Say Weber loses to the griz you have to think they will beat Idaho State the following week. ISU has lost their last 4 games being blown out in all of them including to SUU and NCU, the 2 supposed worst teams in the conference. That would mean they (Weber) would finish 9-3 (7-1 in conference). They would still get a seed.
UM then loses the Brawl the next week and finish 9-3 (6-2 in conference).
Lets say Sac State wins out @UI and vs UCD for this argument 9-3 (7-1 conference)
MSU needs to win out to finish 9-3 (6-2 conference)

If the Cats lose either of these last 2 games the point is moot but what I am trying to say is they control their own destiny. Win out and we finish with the same record as the griz and we would own the tiebreaker having just beat them. Griz would most likely be the team losing out on the seed even with a win this weekend. The only other way the seeds for the BSC get shook up is if Sac Sate loses their last 2 because they own the tiebreaker vs both the Cats and the Griz (not likely so we'll ignore it), or they give the BSC 4 seeds also unlikely. So I wont cheer for the griz as i'd rather bathe in razer blades and lemon juice.
Totally agree, and that's what I was thinking too. Cats win out and I believe are a lock for a seed 100% whereas Griz would have to play a first round game. Curious to see if CatPrint disagrees.
I have posted twice in response to others about the seeding and extensively in my main post. However, I will admit it is convoluted at times. Here is another stab at it.

1) I agree with every major FCS web site - #1 seed is NDSU and #2 is JMU. I don’t see heaven and earth moving those seeds. I believe Weber had a shot with a #2 seed with a strong showing against UND but winning the game on a last minute fumble from UND really hurt Weber’s standing. IF Weber and JMU win out, JMU gets #2. I would put money on this but my wife won’t let me. :lol:

2) I have said numerous times in a number of posts.
a. Cats win last two, we will almost certainly be seeded.
b. Cats go 1-1, we will host a first round playoff game.
c. Cats go 0-2 and it is unlikely we get into the playoffs due to the 12-14 seven D-1 win schools jockeying for the last 2 or 3 at-large spots. And one of those teams will be UND who by virtue of our loss will automatically be considered before the Cats.

3) Scenario 1: If the Griz beat Weber this weekend AND Cats beat UC Davis.
a. Davis out of the playoffs
b. Griz will rise to a #3 or #4 seed as they are already #5 or #6 everywhere.
c. Cats will rise to #7/#8 given either UNI or SDSU will drop from the seeding with a loss.
d. Cat/Griz game is for a seed for Cats but likely a seed for Griz either way.
e. If Cats win (9-3), they have beat the #3/#4 seed.
f. Griz (9-3) still get #7/#8 seed; Cats #6. There is a whole argument about Big Sky not getting four seeds but some sites have MVFC getting four seeds right now. Nothing to say it can’t happen. Unlikely but it could happen. If one it out, it will be Griz.
g. We could even move up to #4/#5 if another game or two goes our way – say, Illinois State loses badly at NDSU or SDSU loses to rival USD. Or Wofford beats Furman but then loses to The Citadel. Those are all possible results but not highly probable.
h. Now with a #6 seed, we get the bye, play maybe a SELA/San Diego winner or a Nicholls/Southern Ill. winner. Then a trip to Weber or to Sac State. Both winnable games.

The main point is this keeps us out of the #8 seed. I contend a number #8 seed is worse than being unseeded! I made that point earlier and below.

4) Scenario 2: Weber beats Griz, Cats beat UC Davis.
a. Davis out.
b. Now Weber has strangle-hold on #3 seed.
c. Griz move to #7 or #8 or possible out of the seed list
d. Now Cat/Griz game is for a seed. Winner is seeded. Loser gets home first round game (Because MONEY is the primary (but not only) reason for awarding a home game in the first round. Cats, JMU, Griz, NDSU always provide the top money bids). The bid provided by all the teams is a major factor.
e. But because the Cats (9-3) beat a #8/#9 Griz (8-4) team, our seed is no better than #7 or #8.
f. Highly possible we get the dreaded #8 seed, play winner of CAU/SEMO and then get NDSU in the LightsOutDome. At some point, the Cats can challenge NDSU but not this year.

SO that is my logic. Yes, we control our destiny and we will get a seed with 2 wins. However, I am highly certain that a Griz victory over Weber will move us up one or two seeds after we beat the Griz and will absolutely keep us out of the #8 seed which I contend no team wants. Thoughts?

Catprint

Post by Catprint » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:16 pm

Cledus wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:44 am
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:40 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:46 am
I don’t think MSU gets a seed at 9-3.

I think it’ll be:
1. Ndsu
2. Jmu
3. Weber
4. Sac
5. SDSU
6. CAU
7. Nova
8. Illinois St.

I got MSU bracketed with 6) CAU and 3) Weber. Tough, but doable. Probably play a 4-5 MVFC team or a 2-3 Southland team in first round.
Both CAU and Nova are ranked lower than the Cats right now, all sitting at 7-3. I imagine if all are 9-3, the Cats will likely be ranked about 7th or so, so I don't know how MSU doesn't get a seed in that scenario. A 7th ranked Big Sky team that's 9-2 against the FCS gets a seed IMO.
Which would include wins over SEMO and scum.
There is NO WAY Central Arkansas at 9-3 gets a seed over the Cats at 9-3. The Southland is very weak; no FCS site has UCA (University of Central Arkansas although i often want to call them CAU) as a seed and Hero sports does not even have them as a near seed. Cats will have wins over SEMO, Davis and a highly ranked UM team. UCA has the FBS win over the Hilltoppers (who have the worst 10 year record against FCS teams: 3-3.) and have beat NO ranked FCS teams. UCA is 14th in Stats polls and some writers have them much lower.

Nova is another story as is Furman. Both of those teams have a legitimate chance of a seed ahead of the Cats. But with Nova's three consecutive losses, it will be hard for them to make that climb especially since their last game is against a very poor FCS team. Furman has a much better chance of picking up a seed with 2 wins. Hence, my belief we cheer for Wofford against Furman and Griz against Weber. We need a better final opponent to avoid Furman or Nova moving ahead of us.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 pm

I think I see what you're saying now. We all agree no question if the Cats win out they get a seed, it's just a matter of which seed - 6,7, or 8. I don't know that the Griz would still get a seed if they beat Weber but lose to us but maybe I'm wrong on that. IF they did, then it would be 8 and we'd get a better seed.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:45 pm

I do believe so and have said so for a couple weeks. I notice that Brian McLaughlin (Hero Sports) alluded to it in the weekly playoff projections this week...I guess we'll see.
catatac wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:45 pm

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:08 pm

Catprint wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:05 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:39 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:28 am
Great stuff as always but I have spot of opposition. Under the Weber vs UM game you state you are rooting for UM to help the Cats get a seed. I don't think it matters.

Say Weber loses to the griz you have to think they will beat Idaho State the following week. ISU has lost their last 4 games being blown out in all of them including to SUU and NCU, the 2 supposed worst teams in the conference. That would mean they (Weber) would finish 9-3 (7-1 in conference). They would still get a seed.
UM then loses the Brawl the next week and finish 9-3 (6-2 in conference).
Lets say Sac State wins out @UI and vs UCD for this argument 9-3 (7-1 conference)
MSU needs to win out to finish 9-3 (6-2 conference)

If the Cats lose either of these last 2 games the point is moot but what I am trying to say is they control their own destiny. Win out and we finish with the same record as the griz and we would own the tiebreaker having just beat them. Griz would most likely be the team losing out on the seed even with a win this weekend. The only other way the seeds for the BSC get shook up is if Sac Sate loses their last 2 because they own the tiebreaker vs both the Cats and the Griz (not likely so we'll ignore it), or they give the BSC 4 seeds also unlikely. So I wont cheer for the griz as i'd rather bathe in razer blades and lemon juice.
Totally agree, and that's what I was thinking too. Cats win out and I believe are a lock for a seed 100% whereas Griz would have to play a first round game. Curious to see if CatPrint disagrees.
I have posted twice in response to others about the seeding and extensively in my main post. However, I will admit it is convoluted at times. Here is another stab at it.

1) I agree with every major FCS web site - #1 seed is NDSU and #2 is JMU. I don’t see heaven and earth moving those seeds. I believe Weber had a shot with a #2 seed with a strong showing against UND but winning the game on a last minute fumble from UND really hurt Weber’s standing. IF Weber and JMU win out, JMU gets #2. I would put money on this but my wife won’t let me. :lol:

2) I have said numerous times in a number of posts.
a. Cats win last two, we will almost certainly be seeded.
b. Cats go 1-1, we will host a first round playoff game.
c. Cats go 0-2 and it is unlikely we get into the playoffs due to the 12-14 seven D-1 win schools jockeying for the last 2 or 3 at-large spots. And one of those teams will be UND who by virtue of our loss will automatically be considered before the Cats.

3) Scenario 1: If the Griz beat Weber this weekend AND Cats beat UC Davis.
a. Davis out of the playoffs
b. Griz will rise to a #3 or #4 seed as they are already #5 or #6 everywhere.
c. Cats will rise to #7/#8 given either UNI or SDSU will drop from the seeding with a loss.
d. Cat/Griz game is for a seed for Cats but likely a seed for Griz either way.
e. If Cats win (9-3), they have beat the #3/#4 seed.
f. Griz (9-3) still get #7/#8 seed; Cats #6. There is a whole argument about Big Sky not getting four seeds but some sites have MVFC getting four seeds right now. Nothing to say it can’t happen. Unlikely but it could happen. If one it out, it will be Griz.
g. We could even move up to #4/#5 if another game or two goes our way – say, Illinois State loses badly at NDSU or SDSU loses to rival USD. Or Wofford beats Furman but then loses to The Citadel. Those are all possible results but not highly probable.
h. Now with a #6 seed, we get the bye, play maybe a SELA/San Diego winner or a Nicholls/Southern Ill. winner. Then a trip to Weber or to Sac State. Both winnable games.

The main point is this keeps us out of the #8 seed. I contend a number #8 seed is worse than being unseeded! I made that point earlier and below.

4) Scenario 2: Weber beats Griz, Cats beat UC Davis.
a. Davis out.
b. Now Weber has strangle-hold on #3 seed.
c. Griz move to #7 or #8 or possible out of the seed list
d. Now Cat/Griz game is for a seed. Winner is seeded. Loser gets home first round game (Because MONEY is the primary (but not only) reason for awarding a home game in the first round. Cats, JMU, Griz, NDSU always provide the top money bids). The bid provided by all the teams is a major factor.
e. But because the Cats (9-3) beat a #8/#9 Griz (8-4) team, our seed is no better than #7 or #8.
f. Highly possible we get the dreaded #8 seed, play winner of CAU/SEMO and then get NDSU in the LightsOutDome. At some point, the Cats can challenge NDSU but not this year.

SO that is my logic. Yes, we control our destiny and we will get a seed with 2 wins. However, I am highly certain that a Griz victory over Weber will move us up one or two seeds after we beat the Griz and will absolutely keep us out of the #8 seed which I contend no team wants. Thoughts?
While I will always want the best for the 'Cats, however, I wonder what our chances are of beating the griz if they beat Weber. Man, if they pull that off, they must be awfully good. Of course, if we then beat them, it would mean that we are even better. Frankly, I don't think the griz are good enough to beat Weber, even at home. I have no clue how we would do against Weber, but them smacking SSU is impressive since SSU handily took the griz and squeaked by the 'Cats. I'm thinkin' we be best to just win out and take our chances on where we get seeded. After all, we can only really control what we can control. Required disclaimer - rooting for the griz in any scenario would be hard for me, however, if it would help the 'Cats, count me in - but man we'd better beat them whether or not the beat Weber.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:18 pm

I appreciate all the work that catprint and many others have put into this topic. It has been fun to follow and learn more about the FCS beyond the Big Sky. I wouldn't have the time nor the talent to do it that's for sure.
One scenario that I haven't seen anyone talk about is what if SAC state loses their final 2 games. Currently they only have 6 D1 wins. They play at Idaho and while the spuds have mostly been duds this year they can be a whole lot tougher at home in their dome. Sacs other remaining game is against a very respectable UC Davis and it's their biggest rivalry game and much like our biggest rivalry game, team records mean little to nothing.
What does anyone think happens to the bracket if SAC were to lose out leaving them at 6 D1 wins, or split those two games giving them 7 D1 wins?

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 pm

Catprint - the problem with your "scenario 1" is that it would put 4 big sky teams in the 8 seeds if Sac also wins out. I promise you that's not happening. No conference will get more than 3 seeds.
But it would certainly put the committee in a predicament, as they'd either have to leave a 9-3 MSU team out of the seeds or else a 9-3 griz team.

Catprint

Post by Catprint » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:00 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:45 pm
I do believe so and have said so for a couple weeks. I notice that Brian McLaughlin (Hero Sports) alluded to it in the weekly playoff projections this week...I guess we'll see.
catatac wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:45 pm
I have listened to Brian's podcast and you are right. However, when push comes to shove Brian Mac put JMU at number 2 in his last poll and his last seeding. He is willing to consider Weber over JMU if Weber wins out. The problem with this scenario is Brian is one of only a few very thoughtful, analytical poll voters. And he does not get a vote in the committee. Based on SOS and historical record, there is no way in my mind that the AD's on the playoff committee are going to put Weber over JMU if they both win out. That is based more on the eye test than on any analytics. But the committee has surprised us before (putting UNH at #10 in the prerelease AND putting both Lamar and Incarnate Word in the brackets last year). I will eat the crow if wrong!

Catprint

Post by Catprint » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:03 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 pm
Catprint - the problem with your "scenario 1" is that it would put 4 big sky teams in the 8 seeds if Sac also wins out. I promise you that's not happening. No conference will get more than 3 seeds.
But it would certainly put the committee in a predicament, as they'd either have to leave a 9-3 MSU team out of the seeds or else a 9-3 griz team.
I agree in theory but not sure why. As of today, most bracketeers have 4 MVFC teams in a seed (NDSU, SDSU, UNI and Ill. State). One will fall out when SDSU/UNI play. So who moves in? Why not MSU? And why not MSU staying there if Griz are in. I will agree that getting 4 is unlikley and it requires a certain set of circumstances. I also agree if 4 Big Sky don't get a seed, the odd man out is the loser of Cat/Griz, unless Sac State has a meltdown in one or both of its final games.

Catprint

Post by Catprint » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:14 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:18 pm
I appreciate all the work that catprint and many others have put into this topic. It has been fun to follow and learn more about the FCS beyond the Big Sky. I wouldn't have the time nor the talent to do it that's for sure.
One scenario that I haven't seen anyone talk about is what if SAC state loses their final 2 games. Currently they only have 6 D1 wins. They play at Idaho and while the spuds have mostly been duds this year they can be a whole lot tougher at home in their dome. Sacs other remaining game is against a very respectable UC Davis and it's their biggest rivalry game and much like our biggest rivalry game, team records mean little to nothing.
What does anyone think happens to the bracket if SAC were to lose out leaving them at 6 D1 wins, or split those two games giving them 7 D1 wins?
I got so carried away in my main post that i forgot to include my Big Sky Summary Chart. I have included it here (only playoff possible teams included). In it, we see that Sac State still needs 1 more D-1 win. What if they don't get it? They end up 7-5 with only 6 D-1 wins? Anyone's guess but i think they get in as the final at-large team. However, that would be a huge disservice to the 10 or so 7 win D-1 teams that get left out. But high in polls means really hard to drop out. IF they beat Idaho, they are in. But I would love to see Sac State lose both games. Odds are really small. That train left the station when they survived NAU with a miracle. I do think they could lose to Davis but then that means Davis is playing really well which does not bode well for our game this Saturday.

Catprint

Post by Catprint » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:33 am

I will say one more thing tonight. The two toughest games this year IMHO are the next two. I think UC Davis is playing well and it will be very difficult to win. And for all the talk about cheering for the Griz to beat Weber, I grasp the reality that if the Griz beat Weber this week, they are really good and they may be ranked #4 in the country. I am not entirely sure we match up well with that team. Cat/Griz is always an unknown but I am one who does not believe Choate owns the Griz anymore than I believed it about Read during the streak. Every year is year zero (which i firmly believe Choate states all the time). If we are truly seeded playoff caliber, we have to win both games. The proof is in our performance on the field. The Cats will have to play their best game at Cat/Griz, with every one healthy and some part of the game will simply have to bounce our way! We are not blowing out this year's Griz team even on our home field but I firmly believe it is winnable. I will be proud to be in the stands in 30 degree weather!!

Go Cats!!

Catprint

Post by Catprint » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:29 pm

First Installment of Week 13

We are in! Guaranteed!

Cats vs UC Davis
OK – Unreal. Bend but not break defense. Holding UC Davis to three points in three trips inside the 10 yard line in the first half was the game. It kept us in the game and up at half time. Then in the fourth quarter, the run game came alive and the defense was unreal. UC Davis was 2-14 in third down conversions and 0-3 in fourth down conversions. That is really unheard of for an offense as powerful as UC Davis. While the defense gave up a ton of yards in the first half – something like 325 they only gave up 102 yards in the second half and 60 was in the one scoring drive.

Here is a brief overview the playoff situation with a full update later tomorrow or Monday

Big Sky
• Griz won as I thought was best for the Cats. Griz will move up to #3 in the Polls.
• Sac State won handily. They still have to beat Davis to guarantee a seed but they are in the playoffs. Problem is if they don’t get a seed, they will submit a poor bid for first home game and may end up playing all their games on the road. Even with a loss to UC Davis next week, they could still get a seed. But I think there are 10-11 teams seed worthy depending on the last game.
* UND is likely in with a final win.
• UC Davis is out of the playoff picture – best they can be is 6-6.
• Eastern Washington won so they still could get to 7-5. However, they have a D-II win as one of the seven. I don’t see them getting in.

Other Seeds
• NDSU #1
• JMU #2
• SDSU and Ill. State likely get a Seed
• Big Sky gets at least 3 of the 4 remaining seeds
• Last seed will be a toss up - UNI, Villanova, UM (WHEN they lose to MSU), Central Arkansas, Furman – all in the running. I put my money on Villanova.
I will give full seed projection later week.

Best Set Bubble Teams
• Albany and Towson seem in good position in CAA.
• Southern Illinois in good spot in Missouri Valley
• North Dakota needs only a win against Southern Utah at home.
• SEMO and UT Martin might both get in from OVC
• Kennesaw State in Big South

OUT of the Playoffs
• New Hampshire lost. Hmm, lost twice after they made the committee’s Top 10. Good call committee. Stony Brook and Richmond also from CAA
• All other NEC teams but Central Connecticut
• Youngstown State from MVFC
• Citadel in Southern
• Incarnate Word and Sam Houston in Southland

More later. This will be the most historic Cat-Griz game in ?? 35 years? I know of no game where each team was playing for a seed. Too bad we did not field that punt at UND!! We would be playing for conference championship. Technically could still tie with a win, a UC Davis win and a ISU win over Weber. Don't think so!!!

Go Cats.

Catprint

Post by Catprint » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Second Installment of Week 13

So we know we are in the playoffs, what is there to write about? While where we get placed and the who gets a seed matters a lot. Get a bad placement and we might have a first round home game agains t a very good opponent where we could lose. Get a good placement and we might get a bye, a great home opponent, go to the quarterfinals, have a second winnable game and suddenly be in the semi-finals. It could happen. The placement in the brackets matters a lot. Not much the Cats can do about it except win but we can all speculate and discuss it until the cows come home. Next week’s games do matter.

Path to the Playoffs chart

One game ahead of my predictions! Partly because UC Davis is not at the top of the league like everyone expected.

A quick review of Saturday’s games.

Big Sky Games

I went 6-1 in my predictions at the Big Sky level. Only missed Southern Utah’s upset over NAU. Nailed it. A review of the chart shows 4 teams a given in the playoffs (Weber, Sac St, Montana and MSU) and one, maybe two on the bubble (UND, EWU). More on that later but I only see UND as a potential playoff team. However, I think it possible the Big Sky could get 4 seeded teams and will almost certainly get three, barring a complete Weber State meltdown – they have had two poor games.

Overall Playoff Status across conferences

A few teams dropped out last week and there were a few upsets. For the most part, it went according to script – the better teams won. Last week, for all teams who were alive in the playoff hunt, I correctly predicted 25 out of the 30 games or 83%. Maybe I should make the trip to Vegas. I was only predicting games with playoff implications and granted there were lots of no brainers in the group. And I did miss some big ones like Wofford over Furman; NW State over Sam Houston (don’t think anyone got that one) and Bryant over Duquesne. But I like my chances. The chart shows who is now OUT and who is IN and who is on the bubble. As of now I show the following:
Auto Bids: 8 spots filled (only Big Sky and Southland left) Technically, Patriot and OVC are not decided but Patriot is irrelevant and I am giving the OVC auto bid to Austin Peay. Leaves only the Big Sky and Southland not settled.

At Large Guaranteed: Based on at least 8 wins in a P3 conference or 9 or more in other conferences, I have 8 at-large guaranteed. Total spots taken is now 16 (2 of these at-large will be Auto bids).

At Large Likely: These are teams based on schedule and conference they are likely to get an at-large. They really control their own destiny. I have 6 teams in the likely category. One of these teams could slip into the bubble with a loss or a really poor win next week. That is 22 spots.

Bubble: This group needs help from other teams losing or they need help from the committee looking favorably on them for the last 2 or 3 spots. I have 12 teams in the bubble looking for 2 final spots. The teams from the Power 3 have the upper hand: Albany, Maine, Southern Ill. and UND.

The next chart shows my final prediction for who is IN, OUT and on the bubble. I will deal with seeding and Cat/Griz later. I have predicted the final 27 games with a playoff implication. Some of the games from the chart now match up two teams that are out so I have not predicted the score. It is the bubble teams that matter.

So why does this matter? Because by the grace of the football gods, we want some weaker teams to slip in the west region. Because of the regionalization of the playoffs. The first round and the second round are largely made of teams on their side of the Mississippi. The requirement to keep teams in their own area of the country is explicitly listed in the rules for the playoff committee. This is mostly a money and travel issue. What this means for the Cats is there are LOTS of Missouri Valley and Big Sky teams in the playoffs. Let’s say the Big Sky gets 5 (including UND) and MVFC gets 5 (including Southern Ill.). That means 10 out of 24 seeds are coming from two conferences. And it means the chances of a match up with another Big Sky team is really high – either in first or second round. Remember, the rules are the committee will NOT do a first round matchup between two teams who played each other. However, there are NO guidelines for the second round and it is HIGHLY likely that any unseeded Big Sky team if they win a first round game will play a Big Sky team in the second round. The only other possible west teams are San Diego, Central Arkansas and either Nicholls or SELA (I know – Louisiana is only partially west of the Mississippi!).

Thoughts
• This year NO 7-win team from the OVC, NEC, Patriot, Pioneer, Big South or Southern conference are going to get into the playoffs. There are too many good teams. Historically, at large teams from these conferences MUST win 8 or more games. This year that is absolutely true.
• There are only a few games that are truly 50-50 (not excluding the normal upsets that no one expects)
.....o Maine vs UNH
.....o Albany vs Stony Brook
.....o SELA vs Nicholls
.....o Jacksonville State
• I really don’t want to see Maine in the playoffs. They are coming on strong and beat Weber State last year on the road. They are a good team. Much rather see an Albany.
• We can hope for an upset in the Southland to get a weaker team into the west region.
• The CAA (and to some degree the MVFC) get all the weaker teams from NEC, Big South, Southern, and Patriot league. This overloads the first and second round with weaker teams
• The committee can do some juggling with conferences that get 4 or more teams in the playoffs. That should be Big Sky and Missouri Valley this year.
• There does not appear to be very many weak sisters in the likely field this year. When the bubble teams are Southern Illinois (who have a FBS win and destroyed Western Ill.) and UND (who beat MSU and took Weber to the wire), this could be the toughest field in years.
• San Diego as a first game is a BAD match up for anyone. They have beaten Big Sky teams in the past. The least amount of points they have scored this year is 31. They scored 34 and 35 in their early season loses to Cal Poly and UC Davis. They should have beat Davis.
• I am thinking the last two at-large go to North Dakota and Southern Illinois assuming all the “Likely At-Large” teams hold serve. Suppose there will be one or two upsets in that group. If so, then the next two in are Albany and Maine or SELA.
• All of this was done BEFORE I looked at any posts, any web sites with bracket predictions or listened to any podcasts. Good or bad, I own it.

In a third installment, I am going to look at the seeds and what are the Cats chances for a seed and what placement they might get. In this case, I am going to take advantage of all the resources on the Net to have the best possible picture.

GO CATS!

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Great write up! Thanks for doing this!

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:51 pm

@Catprint, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I like your analysis this week, though I have SELA beating Nicholls and taking their spot.