Bryce Leighton Commits!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bryce Leighton Commits!

Post by AFCAT » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:27 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:01 pm
For what it's worth:

https://community.hsbaseballweb.com/top ... -more-long

Steve Spurrier was the first coach to complain to the NCAA about the schools that used athletic scholarships rather than use their athletic money and he also whined that the kids did not count against the scholarship total--the NCAA does in fact place a total limit to the FBS count and the scholarships can't be split as in the FCS and nonrevenue sports. For those of you with more time on your hands than you know what to do with, you can read the NCAA regs. Athletic scholarships do not count as one of the school's athletic scholarships.
“Athletic scholarships do not count as one of the schools athletic scholarships.” :-s

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Can student-athletes combine academic and athletic scholarships?
The short answer is yes—but it depends. The NCAA has a few specific rules about how Division I and Division II student-athletes should handle non-athletic financial aid. To accept an academic scholarship as an incoming freshman, student-athletes need to meet the following criteria:

Division I

Top 10% of the high school graduating class
Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
Score 1200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105
Division II

Top 20% of high school graduating class
Achieved a 3.5 cumulative GPA out of 4.00
ACT Sum score of 100 or SAT of 1140
The student must also show that athletic information was not required as part of the application process. If colleges could give athletes academic or merit-based scholarships freely, then there would be no limit on the amount of money they could offer athletes to compete at their school! By imposing these rules, the NCAA is ensuring that athletes who receive academic scholarships are getting them based on their academics, not their athletics.

If the coach sees I have an academic scholarship, will I receive a smaller athletic scholarship?
Some athletes are under the impression that having an academic scholarship might hurt their chances of maximizing their athletic scholarship amount. The answer here, once again–it depends. Each athlete on a team is worth is a certain amount of money. The coach will offer athletic scholarship money to the athlete based on that amount. If a coach sees that an athlete has an academic scholarship that covers a portion of their worth, he will use athletic scholarship money to make up the difference. Then, he has a little extra money left over to recruit more high-quality athletes.

In other words, recruits are worth a certain amount to coaches. It’s better for coaches if recruits receive academic scholarships to get to that number, so the coach can stretch their scholarship dollars a little further.

Student-athletes need to do their research to get the most robust financial aid package. Athletic scholarships are a great way to pay for college, but don’t discount academic scholarships, either. They are a safer bet overall, and can even make a recruit more attractive to college coaches.
https://usatodayhss.com/2017/how-athlet ... ships-work

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:34 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:27 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:01 pm
For what it's worth:

https://community.hsbaseballweb.com/top ... -more-long

Steve Spurrier was the first coach to complain to the NCAA about the schools that used athletic scholarships rather than use their athletic money and he also whined that the kids did not count against the scholarship total--the NCAA does in fact place a total limit to the FBS count and the scholarships can't be split as in the FCS and nonrevenue sports. For those of you with more time on your hands than you know what to do with, you can read the NCAA regs. Athletic scholarships do not count as one of the school's athletic scholarships.
“Athletic scholarships do not count as one of the schools athletic scholarships.” :-s
...oops...academic doesn't count against the athletic...duh! Good catch.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:29 pm
Can student-athletes combine academic and athletic scholarships?
The short answer is yes—but it depends. The NCAA has a few specific rules about how Division I and Division II student-athletes should handle non-athletic financial aid. To accept an academic scholarship as an incoming freshman, student-athletes need to meet the following criteria:

Division I

Top 10% of the high school graduating class
Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
Score 1200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105
Division II

Top 20% of high school graduating class
Achieved a 3.5 cumulative GPA out of 4.00
ACT Sum score of 100 or SAT of 1140
The student must also show that athletic information was not required as part of the application process. If colleges could give athletes academic or merit-based scholarships freely, then there would be no limit on the amount of money they could offer athletes to compete at their school! By imposing these rules, the NCAA is ensuring that athletes who receive academic scholarships are getting them based on their academics, not their athletics.

If the coach sees I have an academic scholarship, will I receive a smaller athletic scholarship?
Some athletes are under the impression that having an academic scholarship might hurt their chances of maximizing their athletic scholarship amount. The answer here, once again–it depends. Each athlete on a team is worth is a certain amount of money. The coach will offer athletic scholarship money to the athlete based on that amount. If a coach sees that an athlete has an academic scholarship that covers a portion of their worth, he will use athletic scholarship money to make up the difference. Then, he has a little extra money left over to recruit more high-quality athletes.

In other words, recruits are worth a certain amount to coaches. It’s better for coaches if recruits receive academic scholarships to get to that number, so the coach can stretch their scholarship dollars a little further.

Student-athletes need to do their research to get the most robust financial aid package. Athletic scholarships are a great way to pay for college, but don’t discount academic scholarships, either. They are a safer bet overall, and can even make a recruit more attractive to college coaches.
https://usatodayhss.com/2017/how-athlet ... ships-work

Good article. There must be a thousand of them out there if you want to post them for those too lazy to do a simple google search.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:02 am

Looking through our new signees tapes this morning, this one is flying under the radar a bit. This is a HUGE signing, especially with Padmos and Bailey both graduating.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:05 am

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:02 am
Looking through our new signees tapes this morning, this one is flying under the radar a bit. This is a HUGE signing, especially with Padmos and Bailey both graduating.
It's been huge since he committed several months ago. Absolutely needed him.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:04 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Leighton is the first #1 or #2 rated player in the country at any position the Bobcats have ever signed.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Since we're talking about it a little bit, I totally understand that he's slated to be our next punter presumably. But what's the plan at kicker? I figured we'd bring in a kicker with this class. Does Bryce placekick as well?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:52 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:28 pm
Since we're talking about it a little bit, I totally understand that he's slated to be our next punter presumably. But what's the plan at kicker? I figured we'd bring in a kicker with this class. Does Bryce placekick as well?
Yes he does both. Not bringing in a kicker tells me that they are happy with Caleb Mancini.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."