Montana Recruits 2021

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana Recruits 2021

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:50 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:09 am
He has his picks narrowed down to BYU, Minnesota, Oregon St., Montana St. and North Dakota St. NDSU hasn't offered yet.

It isn't likely, but it also isn't inconceivable, that he picks MSU. Sounds like the Bobcats have the right team culture and curriculum. His brother, Byron, plays at MSU, as well and he'll be close to home, so his parents won't need to travel far to see him play and they won't be split on game days. Those are some big checks in the MSU column. All three FBS on the list are good (OSU just beat Oregon), but they all seem to be up and down on the national scene. Mostly down at Minnesota and Oregon St. BYU is the most consistently good team out of that bunch, but they're independent and don't get a lot respect when stacked up against the top teams nationally, especially now that Utah is in the PAC 12 and is right next door.

Speaking of his brother, I think there's a really good chance he starts this spring. He looked very good last year when he got on the field. He made several tackles and, more importantly, was always active and around the ball.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:56 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:50 am
Hawks86 wrote:
He has his picks narrowed down to BYU, Minnesota, Oregon St., Montana St. and North Dakota St. NDSU hasn't offered yet.

It isn't likely, but it also isn't inconceivable, that he picks MSU. Sounds like the Bobcats have the right team culture and curriculum. His brother, Byron, plays at MSU, as well and he'll be close to home, so his parents won't need to travel far to see him play and they won't be split on game days. Those are some big checks in the MSU column. All three FBS on the list are good (OSU just beat Oregon), but they all seem to be up and down on the national scene. Mostly down at Minnesota and Oregon St. BYU is the most consistently good team out of that bunch, but they're independent and don't get a lot respect when stacked up against the top teams nationally, especially now that Utah is in the PAC 12 and is right next door.

Speaking of his brother, I think there's a really good chance he starts this spring. He looked very good last year when he got on the field. He made several tackles and, more importantly, was always active and around the ball.
He'll start this spring if one of Chase Benson or John Clark don't play...because they are the current starters on the inside. Strong-side will be Amandre and the Buck will be Daniel Hardy. However, Bryon will be heavily in the rotation.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:35 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:56 am
iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

He'll start this spring if one of Chase Benson or John Clark don't play...because they are the current starters on the inside. Strong-side will be Amandre and the Buck will be Daniel Hardy. However, Bryon will be heavily in the rotation.
Byron went on a LDS mission. Will Dylan do the same or is he going straight to college?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:08 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:35 am
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Byron went on a LDS mission. Will Dylan do the same or is he going straight to college?
When they go on a mission how long might they be gone?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:24 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:08 pm
iaafan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

I think it kind of depends, but it's generally 2 years and leave summer/fall after graduating high school. At least, that's my anecdotal data from having high school friends who have served missions.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:01 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:24 pm
RickRund wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:08 pm
iaafan wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

I think it kind of depends, but it's generally 2 years and leave summer/fall after graduating high school. At least, that's my anecdotal data from having high school friends who have served missions.
Thank you..

msubobcats@outlook.com

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:21 am

I just saw the Lang brothers are heading to Missoula. Their dad was a good player here so I figured we’d go after them. I thought maybe they had scholarships from the Griz that we couldn’t match but they are PWOs?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:32 am

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:21 am
I just saw the Lang brothers are heading to Missoula. Their dad was a good player here so I figured we’d go after them. I thought maybe they had scholarships from the Griz that we couldn’t match but they are PWOs?
MSU didn't offer anything. I think they are both future special team aces with one or the other having future starter potential after several years of development. I thought Padraig was a heck of a safety his junior year but I haven't dove into the senior year tape yet.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:56 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:32 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:21 am
MSU didn't offer anything. I think they are both future special team aces with one or the other having future starter potential after several years of development. I thought Padraig was a heck of a safety his junior year but I haven't dove into the senior year tape yet.
Thanks for your info. I don’t know how you keep up with all of it! With the family ties I would have guessed PWO from us as well but maybe it’s not a position of need either.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:58 am

Numbers game. We already have Aby,Cutler, and Pottenger at Safety. You never know who is going to pan out for the MT kids, but I think we got the 2 with the most potential in Aby and Cutler.
Last edited by Hawks86 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:00 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:58 am
Numbers game. We already have Aby,Cutler, and Pottenger at Safety.
This.

ibleedblue

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:12 pm

Kind of fun comparing the recruiting battle now that most have made a commitment. Outside of Junior Bergen, it seems the majority of top MT talent have made a choice. Anyone know if Bergen is leaning here?

In looking at Vim’s OP, both the Cats and the Griz have 8 players total from the “full ride” and “partial ride” lists. I’m always a bit surprised when the number gets that high (16) from just MT kids as I think there are probably about 8-10 on any given year who will truly be solid contributors down the road. Anything above that is taking a flier in my opinion, which we’ve seen work out in the past just fine for both teams. Some of the walk ons can turn into total gamers, so I understand it.

It didn’t just stop at 16 though. Missoula took on another 6 from the PWO list and the Cats took on 1 more. So that’s a total of 23 MT kids going to play for the Cats and Griz (9 Cats/14 Griz), with the potential for more in Bergen or a couple of others. That seems really high to me. Is that typical for that many MT kids to land on one of the rosters or was this a unique year?

Hard to say, in my opinion, which class looks best. We got some absolute studs and it looks like they got some good ones too. Bergen May be the tipping point if he chooses one of the schools. I think they got some solid players as PWOs, especially in Leonard. I also would have liked to see the Lang bros end up here instead.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:31 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:12 pm
Kind of fun comparing the recruiting battle now that most have made a commitment. Outside of Junior Bergen, it seems the majority of top MT talent have made a choice. Anyone know if Bergen is leaning here?

In looking at Vim’s OP, both the Cats and the Griz have 8 players total from the “full ride” and “partial ride” lists. I’m always a bit surprised when the number gets that high (16) from just MT kids as I think there are probably about 8-10 on any given year who will truly be solid contributors down the road. Anything above that is taking a flier in my opinion, which we’ve seen work out in the past just fine for both teams. Some of the walk ons can turn into total gamers, so I understand it.

It didn’t just stop at 16 though. Missoula took on another 6 from the PWO list and the Cats took on 1 more. So that’s a total of 23 MT kids going to play for the Cats and Griz (9 Cats/14 Griz), with the potential for more in Bergen or a couple of others. That seems really high to me. Is that typical for that many MT kids to land on one of the rosters or was this a unique year?

Hard to say, in my opinion, which class looks best. We got some absolute studs and it looks like they got some good ones too. Bergen May be the tipping point if he chooses one of the schools. I think they got some solid players as PWOs, especially in Leonard. I also would have liked to see the Lang bros end up here instead.
From what Choate has said a couple times this fall this is the COVID effect on recruiting. Since we are more or less even in MT I wonder how the out of state commits stack up between the two schools.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:45 am

Apparently Colter Nuanez said that there were 8 blue chip in-state recruits and MSU got 5, UM 2, and BYU 1. I think he has Reynolds, Eiden, Daily and Bergen as four of the five. Anyone know who the fifth one was? I'm guessing either Aby, Brott, Fedyk, Cutler or Fitzgerald since they're on Vim's partial scholarship list.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:51 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:45 am
Apparently Colter Nuanez said that there were 8 blue chip in-state recruits and MSU got 5, UM 2, and BYU 1. I think he has Reynolds, Eiden, Daily and Bergen as four of the five. Anyone know who the fifth one was? I'm guessing either Aby, Brott, Fedyk, Cutler or Fitzgerald since they're on Vim's partial scholarship list.
I think it was a reference to Cutler. UM's 2 were Klucewich and Detrick. That said, I know MSU offered Olson as well, not sure if Colter forgot about him or just didn't consider him to be a blue chip.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:52 pm

On that site to not be named they really think they scored a hat trick, hit a 5 run homer on the signings.

msubobcats@outlook.com

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:56 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:51 am
iaafan wrote:
I think it was a reference to Cutler. UM's 2 were Klucewich and Detrick. That said, I know MSU offered Olson as well, not sure if Colter forgot about him or just didn't consider him to be a blue chip.
Paul Brott turned heads this year. Would've been MVP of the AA title game if West won. He started to fill out that 6'4" frame in 2020 and it showed this fall. Coaches are VERY excited about his future development on the defensive line.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:09 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:56 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:51 am
iaafan wrote:
Paul Brott turned heads this year. Would've been MVP of the AA title game if West won. He started to fill out that 6'4" frame in 2020 and it showed this fall. Coaches are VERY excited about his future development on the defensive line.
Totally agree. I’m just reporting on the impression I got from listening to colters podcast.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 am

Final 2021 rankings are done and will start to be released. Keeping the same "tiered" system as last year.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:58 pm