Butte ATH Mellott commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Butte ATH Mellott commits

Post by seataccat » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:53 pm
rivercat wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:08 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:00 am
Seems like a great kid. Excited that we got him.

I would imagine that he spends a RS year at QB, and then moves to WR or Safety. Really good athlete.
I don't understand this train of thought. I hope a kid like this, a natural born leader, extremely high character and intelligence, and freakishly athletic, can be the next great Bobcat qb.
Well...hope ain't got nothing to do with it.

I hope they're all the best ever, but I try to be realistic.

What I posted earlier is just how I think it turns out. Might be wrong, might be right, I just don't see him as an FCS QB.
The odds are against Mellott, but it could easily happen considering his work ethic. I wouldn’t put anything past him.

There’s only been one full time starting QB from Montana at MSU or down I 90 the past 18 years and that only lasted one year. Probably a total of 50 QBs during that time.
This kid is exactly what we need as a future QB. He has great potential. Give me the athlete with the heart over the paper prototype guy anyday. That is why we are stuck now without a QB.
Everettgriz said something crappy about the kid on here earlier. I see he's pulled it down, what a jackass.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:01 am

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:47 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:01 am
Plays like a natural born football player. You can see why he gets the “athlete” label.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:26 am

I love Rovig. I think he will build on this year and get better and better. But wouldn't it be great to see a Montana kid like Mellott become a star at MSU? How long has it been since we've had a great QB from Montana?

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:12 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:26 am
I love Rovig. I think he will build on this year and get better and better. But wouldn't it be great to see a Montana kid like Mellott become a star at MSU? How long has it been since we've had a great QB from Montana?
Brock Alan Osweiler comes to mind.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

nutman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by nutman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:42 am

I watch recruiting videos from time to time. This one is really fun to watch. Mellott displays a ‘feel’for the game and a tenacity that is fun to watch. More importantly, his game isn’t only about having the best skills, the video shows that he has the ability to keep his goal in focus while things are blowing up. That clarity of purpose is great to see in a kid.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:56 am

nutman wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:42 am
I watch recruiting videos from time to time. This one is really fun to watch. Mellott displays a ‘feel’for the game and a tenacity that is fun to watch. More importantly, his game isn’t only about having the best skills, the video shows that he has the ability to keep his goal in focus while things are blowing up. That clarity of purpose is great to see in a kid.
“Feel” for the game is a good way of putting it.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:20 am

Hypothetical-

It would be pretty cool to see Mellott and Rostad (griz), battle each other for several years. Who knows, maybe even 4 years if they both came in and redshirted then won the job. Two Montana kids from the same recruiting class.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:43 am

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:12 am
84CatGrad wrote:
I should have been more clear. What I meant to ask was, how long has it been since the Bobcats have had a great QB from Montana?

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:14 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:43 am
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:12 am
84CatGrad wrote:
I should have been more clear. What I meant to ask was, how long has it been since the Bobcats have had a great QB from Montana?
Last one that was pretty darn good was Rob Compson in the 90s from Great Falls High.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:53 am

84CatGrad wrote:
??? Last year? Andersen made 1st team BSC

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:57 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:53 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Good point. I guess what I meant and have failed miserably to make clear is I'm wondering who the last great Bobcat QB was who was from Montana, played only QB, and had a great career (lots of wins, conference honors, etc.) for multiple years.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:03 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:57 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Good point. I guess what I meant and have failed miserably to make clear is I'm wondering who the last great Bobcat QB was who was from Montana, played only QB, and had a great career (lots of wins, conference honors, etc.) for multiple years.
I gotchyer back, it was clear to me what you were saying! Agree, it'd been a long time. Seems like the good QB prospects from MT always end up fizzling out..... Desin, Bleskin, McQueary, etc. the list goes on.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:29 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:03 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
I gotchyer back, it was clear to me what you were saying! Agree, it'd been a long time. Seems like the good QB prospects from MT always end up fizzling out..... Desin, Bleskin, McQueary, etc. the list goes on.
Bleskin had ONE bad game and would have been a starter on many BSC teams. He was a great back up to Prukop. I think one of Ash's biggest problem was sticking with personnel when they were so injured they were ineffective or they were having a horrible game. McQueary was great at MT Tech and could have been good for the Cats. Ash made it very clear that he would rather stick with Bleskin having the worst possible game against the griz than play McQueary. That decision left a very bad impression of Bleskin and McQueary left the program. Still makes me shake my head.

Not saying they were "great MT qbs", but they didn't fizzle out as you stated. Their legacy is compliments of Ash.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Oh for sure RiverCat, I meant no disrespect to any of those players whatsoever. I was just echoing what the poster said in terms of how cool it would be, and how long it's been since we've had a career 3 or 4 year starter like a Lulay or McGhee but from MT.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:02 pm

rivercat wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:29 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:03 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Bleskin had ONE bad game and would have been a starter on many BSC teams. He was a great back up to Prukop. I think one of Ash's biggest problem was sticking with personnel when they were so injured they were ineffective or they were having a horrible game. McQueary was great at MT Tech and could have been good for the Cats. Ash made it very clear that he would rather stick with Bleskin having the worst possible game against the griz than play McQueary. That decision left a very bad impression of Bleskin and McQueary left the program. Still makes me shake my head.

Not saying they were "great MT qbs", but they didn't fizzle out as you stated. Their legacy is compliments of Ash.
Agreed, Bleskin had all the ability, but played behind Prukop. The added pressure of the griz game and playing calling didn't help him. Mcqueary should have been in the game sooner, just maybe that game would have turned out differently, maybe we still don't win, but a closer game. I still think Mcqueary would have left for Tech, because of Ash. I was excited to see either one play @ MSU, lots of talent between those 2 guys.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:31 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:42 am
iaafan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:54 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:45 am
This has to hurt Hack to lose out on this kid
Maybe, but he has a way of weaseling out of things like this. “I don’t recruit kids that play for ex-Bobcat coaches.” Or, “we already got our guy (Rostad).” Kinda like you weaseled out of paying up on that you had with wbtfg.

What does that FTG stand for? Favor The Griz?
Haha, seriously FTG_1984 you don't have ANYONE fooled. You are so transparent, probably the saddest effort of disguising oneself as a Cat fan as I've ever seen.

Sir?