Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
GoldstoneCat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 pm

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:03 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:34 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:32 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:22 pm
I wasn’t disagreeing with you Vim on a juco or drop down QB, I just see doing it on the defensive side of the ball as a bigger area I guess. I know people want Tom Brady taking snaps for us, but besides a couple mistakes here and there, I feel like Rovig and Bauman did a good job this season considering how things played out.
The two things are not mutually exclusive. They should likewise seek transfer help on the DL and at safety, given the losses of Sterk, Marks, Scrempos, Ferriter, Konkol, Alleyne, and Henderson.

It's funny, though, that if people aren't totally sold on Rovig at QB in the long term, it must be because their standards are ridiculous.

Should I make some crack about how you're content to have the FCS version of Mitchell Trubisky at QB? So helpful.
Please stop reminding me that my team has that bum as a QB.

So close, but so far away...
Ugh. He's the worst. Cutler was never great either but watching trubisky you can understand why they overpaid Cutler. Franchise QB talent is hard to find. This has been your "bears fans QB misery" interlude. To get the thread back on topic, if I'm the bears I'm drafting Grady Robison 3rd round in 5 years, no question!



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3534
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:51 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:44 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:20 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:32 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:11 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:29 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:27 am
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:40 am
It's hard to tell from high school tape, but for those who have some evaluation knowledge, question for you. Does this kid look like he has the ability to compete for the starting job immediately as a true frosh?
I would be incredibly surprised if he doesn't redshirt.

Tucker has improved by a fair amount the past few weeks. How he performs in the playoffs will determine how hard the staff pursues a transfer QB, imo. If he falters, they have to bring in a transfer. If he does well, they can go after a quality backup (in case somebody transfers).
They're gonna pursue a transfer anyway. Need more competitive arms in that room next year.
This one somewhat surprised me unless I missed something along the way. I completely understand keeping your eyes open and if you end up with a total stud FBS drop down in your lap, but I'm surprised we'd actively pursue a transfer? We've recruited and supposedly are developing several QBs, so obviously we have some sort of serious flaw here in how we're handling Freshmen QBs. From recollection, we have Tucker Rovig, Casey Bauman, Ruben Beltran, John Knight, Blake Thelen, Tommy Mellott, Grady Robison, there might be others I'm missing? I know we have other QBs on the roster but I think they were recruited to other positions. Isn't 7 QBs in the room enough?
My recollection was that Knight was recruited as an athlete but was being given the chance to compete for QB. I thought the same was being said for Thelen, but I may be wrong on that. Mellot was also announced as an athlete recruit but he has lit it up as a QB this year. I could see Mellot as a wildcat option but with serious ability to throw the ball as well.
I don't think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott ever play meaningful QB snaps here. Thelen might, but I'd be surprised.

So then you have Rovig, Bauman, and Robison. Can't trust Robison as a true freshman. Rovig has been average at best this year, and Bauman flat out wasn't very good. They're young, and should develop though.

With all that in mind, Vim is right, they should pursue a transfer QB. Ideally one who can compete for the starting job, of course.
I do agree that TR made some huge strides in the last few weeks of the season and if he can continue to improve he will be a pretty good BSC QB. What makes you think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott will never play meaningful snaps at QB? I absolutely think the Thelen kid could develop into a fine QB. I think there is a heavy bias on what a BSC QB looks like physically and none of them fit the mold but that is a piss poor way to judge a kid coming in to compete and has been proven wrong many times.
Who said anything about what they look like? I sure didn't. If this was all about physical measurable, then Bauman would be a first round pick.

I did say that Thelen might, because I think he has a good arm, but I think we're bringing in recruits that are better than him. Again, I could be wrong, I'm just saying what I think.

Who is Beltran going to beat out to get playing time? That's what I'm going on. Who's he going to beat out? I just don't see it.

Knight is a good athlete. I think he switches positions. I

like Mellott as an athlete, but I just don't see an FCS QB when I watch him. He's a very good athlete, and I think he's better used elsewhere.

Now I hope all these kids develop and prove me wrong. I'm just saying what I see when I watch them on tape.
Peace man, I am sure you know way more about this than I do. It just seemed odd that you would assume Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott would be less capable than Rovig, Bauman, and Robison judging by the on-field performance.
I know very little about any of these kids except what I have seen from Rovig and Bauman. I do know the Thelen kids dad have heard he is a very capable athlete and I have heard similar things from relatives in Butte about Mellott.
In other words, he has very little evidence to make such a statement. Some of these kids haven’t even stepped onto campus yet some “experts” have already declared that we need a transfer?? And we are 9-3... Nobody knows how Thelen or Knight are performing unless you have been at every practice.
$50 says we bring in a QB transfer before the next season starts. We're not exactly strong at the position.

I have as much evidence as the next guy saying that they'll all be great QB's here. It's just a different opinion that you don't like.



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2249
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:58 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:51 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:44 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:20 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:32 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:11 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:29 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:27 am


I would be incredibly surprised if he doesn't redshirt.

Tucker has improved by a fair amount the past few weeks. How he performs in the playoffs will determine how hard the staff pursues a transfer QB, imo. If he falters, they have to bring in a transfer. If he does well, they can go after a quality backup (in case somebody transfers).
They're gonna pursue a transfer anyway. Need more competitive arms in that room next year.
This one somewhat surprised me unless I missed something along the way. I completely understand keeping your eyes open and if you end up with a total stud FBS drop down in your lap, but I'm surprised we'd actively pursue a transfer? We've recruited and supposedly are developing several QBs, so obviously we have some sort of serious flaw here in how we're handling Freshmen QBs. From recollection, we have Tucker Rovig, Casey Bauman, Ruben Beltran, John Knight, Blake Thelen, Tommy Mellott, Grady Robison, there might be others I'm missing? I know we have other QBs on the roster but I think they were recruited to other positions. Isn't 7 QBs in the room enough?
My recollection was that Knight was recruited as an athlete but was being given the chance to compete for QB. I thought the same was being said for Thelen, but I may be wrong on that. Mellot was also announced as an athlete recruit but he has lit it up as a QB this year. I could see Mellot as a wildcat option but with serious ability to throw the ball as well.
I don't think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott ever play meaningful QB snaps here. Thelen might, but I'd be surprised.

So then you have Rovig, Bauman, and Robison. Can't trust Robison as a true freshman. Rovig has been average at best this year, and Bauman flat out wasn't very good. They're young, and should develop though.

With all that in mind, Vim is right, they should pursue a transfer QB. Ideally one who can compete for the starting job, of course.
I do agree that TR made some huge strides in the last few weeks of the season and if he can continue to improve he will be a pretty good BSC QB. What makes you think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott will never play meaningful snaps at QB? I absolutely think the Thelen kid could develop into a fine QB. I think there is a heavy bias on what a BSC QB looks like physically and none of them fit the mold but that is a piss poor way to judge a kid coming in to compete and has been proven wrong many times.
Who said anything about what they look like? I sure didn't. If this was all about physical measurable, then Bauman would be a first round pick.

I did say that Thelen might, because I think he has a good arm, but I think we're bringing in recruits that are better than him. Again, I could be wrong, I'm just saying what I think.

Who is Beltran going to beat out to get playing time? That's what I'm going on. Who's he going to beat out? I just don't see it.

Knight is a good athlete. I think he switches positions. I

like Mellott as an athlete, but I just don't see an FCS QB when I watch him. He's a very good athlete, and I think he's better used elsewhere.

Now I hope all these kids develop and prove me wrong. I'm just saying what I see when I watch them on tape.
Peace man, I am sure you know way more about this than I do. It just seemed odd that you would assume Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott would be less capable than Rovig, Bauman, and Robison judging by the on-field performance.
I know very little about any of these kids except what I have seen from Rovig and Bauman. I do know the Thelen kids dad have heard he is a very capable athlete and I have heard similar things from relatives in Butte about Mellott.
In other words, he has very little evidence to make such a statement. Some of these kids haven’t even stepped onto campus yet some “experts” have already declared that we need a transfer?? And we are 9-3... Nobody knows how Thelen or Knight are performing unless you have been at every practice.
$50 says we bring in a QB transfer before the next season starts. We're not exactly strong at the position.

I have as much evidence as the next guy saying that they'll all be great QB's here. It's just a different opinion that you don't like.
You are correct that you don’t have more evidence than the next guy. However, I don’t recall anybody saying 6 or 7 of these QBs will be great. But with the same set of data, you have stated that 4 of these QB’s will never take meaningful snaps, or that neither Bauman or Rovig are serviceable. Seems like you are making some huge assumptions with little data. Two of the kids aren’t even on campus yet...



User avatar
vike_king
Member # Retired
Posts: 2867
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:51 pm
Location: Helena, MT/Chester, MT/Fort Benton, MT

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by vike_king » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:12 pm

Somebody PM me when this thread gets back to Grady Robison........


Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3534
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:16 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:58 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:51 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:44 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:20 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:32 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:11 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:29 am


They're gonna pursue a transfer anyway. Need more competitive arms in that room next year.
This one somewhat surprised me unless I missed something along the way. I completely understand keeping your eyes open and if you end up with a total stud FBS drop down in your lap, but I'm surprised we'd actively pursue a transfer? We've recruited and supposedly are developing several QBs, so obviously we have some sort of serious flaw here in how we're handling Freshmen QBs. From recollection, we have Tucker Rovig, Casey Bauman, Ruben Beltran, John Knight, Blake Thelen, Tommy Mellott, Grady Robison, there might be others I'm missing? I know we have other QBs on the roster but I think they were recruited to other positions. Isn't 7 QBs in the room enough?
My recollection was that Knight was recruited as an athlete but was being given the chance to compete for QB. I thought the same was being said for Thelen, but I may be wrong on that. Mellot was also announced as an athlete recruit but he has lit it up as a QB this year. I could see Mellot as a wildcat option but with serious ability to throw the ball as well.
I don't think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott ever play meaningful QB snaps here. Thelen might, but I'd be surprised.

So then you have Rovig, Bauman, and Robison. Can't trust Robison as a true freshman. Rovig has been average at best this year, and Bauman flat out wasn't very good. They're young, and should develop though.

With all that in mind, Vim is right, they should pursue a transfer QB. Ideally one who can compete for the starting job, of course.
I do agree that TR made some huge strides in the last few weeks of the season and if he can continue to improve he will be a pretty good BSC QB. What makes you think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott will never play meaningful snaps at QB? I absolutely think the Thelen kid could develop into a fine QB. I think there is a heavy bias on what a BSC QB looks like physically and none of them fit the mold but that is a piss poor way to judge a kid coming in to compete and has been proven wrong many times.
Who said anything about what they look like? I sure didn't. If this was all about physical measurable, then Bauman would be a first round pick.

I did say that Thelen might, because I think he has a good arm, but I think we're bringing in recruits that are better than him. Again, I could be wrong, I'm just saying what I think.

Who is Beltran going to beat out to get playing time? That's what I'm going on. Who's he going to beat out? I just don't see it.

Knight is a good athlete. I think he switches positions. I

like Mellott as an athlete, but I just don't see an FCS QB when I watch him. He's a very good athlete, and I think he's better used elsewhere.

Now I hope all these kids develop and prove me wrong. I'm just saying what I see when I watch them on tape.
Peace man, I am sure you know way more about this than I do. It just seemed odd that you would assume Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott would be less capable than Rovig, Bauman, and Robison judging by the on-field performance.
I know very little about any of these kids except what I have seen from Rovig and Bauman. I do know the Thelen kids dad have heard he is a very capable athlete and I have heard similar things from relatives in Butte about Mellott.
In other words, he has very little evidence to make such a statement. Some of these kids haven’t even stepped onto campus yet some “experts” have already declared that we need a transfer?? And we are 9-3... Nobody knows how Thelen or Knight are performing unless you have been at every practice.
$50 says we bring in a QB transfer before the next season starts. We're not exactly strong at the position.

I have as much evidence as the next guy saying that they'll all be great QB's here. It's just a different opinion that you don't like.
You are correct that you don’t have more evidence than the next guy. However, I don’t recall anybody saying 6 or 7 of these QBs will be great. But with the same set of data, you have stated that 4 of these QB’s will never take meaningful snaps, or that neither Bauman or Rovig are serviceable. Seems like you are making some huge assumptions with little data. Two of the kids aren’t even on campus yet...

Avoiding the transfer thing now, huh?

I never said that Rovig wasn't serviceable. I actually don't recall using that word at all. I've been saying that Rovig has been average this year, is that what you're referring to?

And yeah, man, I'm saying a bunch of guys won't play meaningful snaps. It's called basic math and logic. Only one QB plays. Let's say Rovig starts the rest of his career. After he graduates, Bauman and Beltran(if still here) would be seniors. Thelen, Knight, juniors. Robison and Mellott most likely sophomores (assuming they both redshirt). Now Robison is the guy I think is the best QB in this recruiting class. Not a slam on anybody else, I just really like Robison. If he wins the starting job, then you would have three upperclassman and a guy in the same class as him that wouldn't be taking snaps. Basic math. Now if say, Bauman wom that competition, and then Robison won the job the following year, you've got the same amount of people. Again, this is the reality of playing QB in college. Only one guy gets to play. That's why you see a large amount of transfers and position switches at QB. We should also probably discuss the fact that it would be very rare, and a poor use of scholarships to have 6 QB's on the roster at one time. Logically it just makes sense that there will be either transfers, or position switches, or both.

All of what I'm saying is just that I think Robison is really good, and can start in his 2nd or 3rd year on campus. The reality is that if he does, that means there a few guys that won't ever get meaningful snaps, unless if there are injuries.



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2249
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:34 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:16 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:58 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:51 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:44 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:20 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:32 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:11 am


This one somewhat surprised me unless I missed something along the way. I completely understand keeping your eyes open and if you end up with a total stud FBS drop down in your lap, but I'm surprised we'd actively pursue a transfer? We've recruited and supposedly are developing several QBs, so obviously we have some sort of serious flaw here in how we're handling Freshmen QBs. From recollection, we have Tucker Rovig, Casey Bauman, Ruben Beltran, John Knight, Blake Thelen, Tommy Mellott, Grady Robison, there might be others I'm missing? I know we have other QBs on the roster but I think they were recruited to other positions. Isn't 7 QBs in the room enough?
My recollection was that Knight was recruited as an athlete but was being given the chance to compete for QB. I thought the same was being said for Thelen, but I may be wrong on that. Mellot was also announced as an athlete recruit but he has lit it up as a QB this year. I could see Mellot as a wildcat option but with serious ability to throw the ball as well.
I don't think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott ever play meaningful QB snaps here. Thelen might, but I'd be surprised.

So then you have Rovig, Bauman, and Robison. Can't trust Robison as a true freshman. Rovig has been average at best this year, and Bauman flat out wasn't very good. They're young, and should develop though.

With all that in mind, Vim is right, they should pursue a transfer QB. Ideally one who can compete for the starting job, of course.
I do agree that TR made some huge strides in the last few weeks of the season and if he can continue to improve he will be a pretty good BSC QB. What makes you think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott will never play meaningful snaps at QB? I absolutely think the Thelen kid could develop into a fine QB. I think there is a heavy bias on what a BSC QB looks like physically and none of them fit the mold but that is a piss poor way to judge a kid coming in to compete and has been proven wrong many times.
Who said anything about what they look like? I sure didn't. If this was all about physical measurable, then Bauman would be a first round pick.

I did say that Thelen might, because I think he has a good arm, but I think we're bringing in recruits that are better than him. Again, I could be wrong, I'm just saying what I think.

Who is Beltran going to beat out to get playing time? That's what I'm going on. Who's he going to beat out? I just don't see it.

Knight is a good athlete. I think he switches positions. I

like Mellott as an athlete, but I just don't see an FCS QB when I watch him. He's a very good athlete, and I think he's better used elsewhere.

Now I hope all these kids develop and prove me wrong. I'm just saying what I see when I watch them on tape.
Peace man, I am sure you know way more about this than I do. It just seemed odd that you would assume Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott would be less capable than Rovig, Bauman, and Robison judging by the on-field performance.
I know very little about any of these kids except what I have seen from Rovig and Bauman. I do know the Thelen kids dad have heard he is a very capable athlete and I have heard similar things from relatives in Butte about Mellott.
In other words, he has very little evidence to make such a statement. Some of these kids haven’t even stepped onto campus yet some “experts” have already declared that we need a transfer?? And we are 9-3... Nobody knows how Thelen or Knight are performing unless you have been at every practice.
$50 says we bring in a QB transfer before the next season starts. We're not exactly strong at the position.

I have as much evidence as the next guy saying that they'll all be great QB's here. It's just a different opinion that you don't like.
You are correct that you don’t have more evidence than the next guy. However, I don’t recall anybody saying 6 or 7 of these QBs will be great. But with the same set of data, you have stated that 4 of these QB’s will never take meaningful snaps, or that neither Bauman or Rovig are serviceable. Seems like you are making some huge assumptions with little data. Two of the kids aren’t even on campus yet...

Avoiding the transfer thing now, huh?

I never said that Rovig wasn't serviceable. I actually don't recall using that word at all. I've been saying that Rovig has been average this year, is that what you're referring to?

And yeah, man, I'm saying a bunch of guys won't play meaningful snaps. It's called basic math and logic. Only one QB plays. Let's say Rovig starts the rest of his career. After he graduates, Bauman and Beltran(if still here) would be seniors. Thelen, Knight, juniors. Robison and Mellott most likely sophomores (assuming they both redshirt). Now Robison is the guy I think is the best QB in this recruiting class. Not a slam on anybody else, I just really like Robison. If he wins the starting job, then you would have three upperclassman and a guy in the same class as him that wouldn't be taking snaps. Basic math. Now if say, Bauman wom that competition, and then Robison won the job the following year, you've got the same amount of people. Again, this is the reality of playing QB in college. Only one guy gets to play. That's why you see a large amount of transfers and position switches at QB. We should also probably discuss the fact that it would be very rare, and a poor use of scholarships to have 6 QB's on the roster at one time. Logically it just makes sense that there will be either transfers, or position switches, or both.

All of what I'm saying is just that I think Robison is really good, and can start in his 2nd or 3rd year on campus. The reality is that if he does, that means there a few guys that won't ever get meaningful snaps, unless if there are injuries.
Not once did I say anything about the prospect of a transfer, so don’t put words in my mouth. I am guessing that if Choate has an opportunity to improve the QB position, he will.

However, what you are stating is a complete GUESS with limited knowledge. You have said that 5 won’t play. You have made plenty of comments about Rovigs ability I’ve the past two years. You have not seen Robison in person but somehow you know he is the QB in 2 or 3 years. After you make such statements, another poster justifiably asked you why these guys won’t pan out and you jumped his ****** for questioning you. I wish you would let Choate use that crystal ball of yours. It would really improve our success rate at QB.



User avatar
GoCats18
Member # Retired
Posts: 2466
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm
Location: MT

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:35 pm

Okay....I will bring us back. Would really love to see Grady end up at MSU. I am glad we put on a show for him and any other recruit that was there. Not only was the game awesome, but the atmosphere was pretty sweet too.


Punters are people too!!

bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3534
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:14 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:34 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:16 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:58 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:51 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:44 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:20 pm
seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:32 pm

My recollection was that Knight was recruited as an athlete but was being given the chance to compete for QB. I thought the same was being said for Thelen, but I may be wrong on that. Mellot was also announced as an athlete recruit but he has lit it up as a QB this year. I could see Mellot as a wildcat option but with serious ability to throw the ball as well.
I don't think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott ever play meaningful QB snaps here. Thelen might, but I'd be surprised.

So then you have Rovig, Bauman, and Robison. Can't trust Robison as a true freshman. Rovig has been average at best this year, and Bauman flat out wasn't very good. They're young, and should develop though.

With all that in mind, Vim is right, they should pursue a transfer QB. Ideally one who can compete for the starting job, of course.
I do agree that TR made some huge strides in the last few weeks of the season and if he can continue to improve he will be a pretty good BSC QB. What makes you think Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott will never play meaningful snaps at QB? I absolutely think the Thelen kid could develop into a fine QB. I think there is a heavy bias on what a BSC QB looks like physically and none of them fit the mold but that is a piss poor way to judge a kid coming in to compete and has been proven wrong many times.
Who said anything about what they look like? I sure didn't. If this was all about physical measurable, then Bauman would be a first round pick.

I did say that Thelen might, because I think he has a good arm, but I think we're bringing in recruits that are better than him. Again, I could be wrong, I'm just saying what I think.

Who is Beltran going to beat out to get playing time? That's what I'm going on. Who's he going to beat out? I just don't see it.

Knight is a good athlete. I think he switches positions. I

like Mellott as an athlete, but I just don't see an FCS QB when I watch him. He's a very good athlete, and I think he's better used elsewhere.

Now I hope all these kids develop and prove me wrong. I'm just saying what I see when I watch them on tape.
Peace man, I am sure you know way more about this than I do. It just seemed odd that you would assume Thelen, Knight, Beltran, or Mellott would be less capable than Rovig, Bauman, and Robison judging by the on-field performance.
I know very little about any of these kids except what I have seen from Rovig and Bauman. I do know the Thelen kids dad have heard he is a very capable athlete and I have heard similar things from relatives in Butte about Mellott.
In other words, he has very little evidence to make such a statement. Some of these kids haven’t even stepped onto campus yet some “experts” have already declared that we need a transfer?? And we are 9-3... Nobody knows how Thelen or Knight are performing unless you have been at every practice.
$50 says we bring in a QB transfer before the next season starts. We're not exactly strong at the position.

I have as much evidence as the next guy saying that they'll all be great QB's here. It's just a different opinion that you don't like.
You are correct that you don’t have more evidence than the next guy. However, I don’t recall anybody saying 6 or 7 of these QBs will be great. But with the same set of data, you have stated that 4 of these QB’s will never take meaningful snaps, or that neither Bauman or Rovig are serviceable. Seems like you are making some huge assumptions with little data. Two of the kids aren’t even on campus yet...

Avoiding the transfer thing now, huh?

I never said that Rovig wasn't serviceable. I actually don't recall using that word at all. I've been saying that Rovig has been average this year, is that what you're referring to?

And yeah, man, I'm saying a bunch of guys won't play meaningful snaps. It's called basic math and logic. Only one QB plays. Let's say Rovig starts the rest of his career. After he graduates, Bauman and Beltran(if still here) would be seniors. Thelen, Knight, juniors. Robison and Mellott most likely sophomores (assuming they both redshirt). Now Robison is the guy I think is the best QB in this recruiting class. Not a slam on anybody else, I just really like Robison. If he wins the starting job, then you would have three upperclassman and a guy in the same class as him that wouldn't be taking snaps. Basic math. Now if say, Bauman wom that competition, and then Robison won the job the following year, you've got the same amount of people. Again, this is the reality of playing QB in college. Only one guy gets to play. That's why you see a large amount of transfers and position switches at QB. We should also probably discuss the fact that it would be very rare, and a poor use of scholarships to have 6 QB's on the roster at one time. Logically it just makes sense that there will be either transfers, or position switches, or both.

All of what I'm saying is just that I think Robison is really good, and can start in his 2nd or 3rd year on campus. The reality is that if he does, that means there a few guys that won't ever get meaningful snaps, unless if there are injuries.
Not once did I say anything about the prospect of a transfer, so don’t put words in my mouth. I am guessing that if Choate has an opportunity to improve the QB position, he will.

However, what you are stating is a complete GUESS with limited knowledge. You have said that 5 won’t play. You have made plenty of comments about Rovigs ability I’ve the past two years. You have not seen Robison in person but somehow you know he is the QB in 2 or 3 years. After you make such statements, another poster justifiably asked you why these guys won’t pan out and you jumped his ****** for questioning you. I wish you would let Choate use that crystal ball of yours. It would really improve our success rate at QB.

Lol.

Check your posts above. You definitely mocked the "experts" saying we need to bring in a transfer.

I didn't jump anybody, I just explained my thought process. The only thing I questioned was why he brought the size argument into it, when I never mentioned size. That's fair, isn't it?

I've said multiple times that it's just my opinion, and of course it's essentially an educated guess. I've never stated otherwise. I also said I'd be surprised if a few players ever played meaningful snaps at QB. That's a true statement for the majority of QB's on a college roster. I never said they absolutely won't play, I said it's my guess they wouldn't. I also never said "I know" Robison will be the QB in 2-3 years. I said I think he will. There's a difference. You seem to think I view all my opinions as facts, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

I've never said that my opinions are fact. That I call them "opinions" is proof of that.



Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2249
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:52 pm

🤦‍♂️



User avatar
utucats
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1919
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by utucats » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:31 am

This seems like a great debate for the offseason. Maybe after our commits have actually signed :-k


Image

lutecat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2332
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by lutecat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:26 am

I feel bad for the kid. He comes here to read his thread about his commitment and he gets this BS from a couple posters. Muddying up the thread. Guys. Please knock this off.



superbobcat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by superbobcat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:49 am

I think Grady is going to be a fine BOBCAT QB. Just remember patience, more patience than some of you have allowed our current QB’s. He is a young guy with lots of talent, but that doesn’t mean he will be ready to play at this level on day 1. I am anxious to see what he offers.



User avatar
grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5896
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:23 pm
Location: Billings via Livingston
Contact:

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:03 am

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:52 pm
🤦‍♂️
Dude, YOU'RE the problem here, and usually are in almost any discussion on this board. I don't know if you truly have a reading comprehension problem or if you purposely twist what people say to suit your narrative. Whatever the reason, just stop arguing man, it gets really annoying.



User avatar
RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by RobertoGato » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:20 am

lutecat wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:26 am
I feel bad for the kid. He comes here to read his thread about his commitment and he gets this BS from a couple posters. Muddying up the thread. Guys. Please knock this off.
If he does read this, I would hope he understands that Bobcat Nation is thrilled to have him. This debate, which to your point in misplaced in this thread, is about what to do at the position during what we assume will be a redshirt season.



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3534
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:15 am

Hahahaha.

Me saying I don't think somebody will play is too negative, and me saying I think somebody is the future QB is too positive. Maybe I'll just stop having opinions. I can't win!



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3534
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:16 am

lutecat wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:26 am
I feel bad for the kid. He comes here to read his thread about his commitment and he gets this BS from a couple posters. Muddying up the thread. Guys. Please knock this off.
My apologies. I'll stop. Just wanted to clear up some misconceptions about what was posted here. I do think that's fair to do.

Anyways, I think Grady is a really good QB, and look forward to having him here.



Marana CAT
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:08 pm
Location: Whiskey Buttes

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by Marana CAT » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:12 pm

Why is he not on the 2020 committed list?


"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

User avatar
kmax
Site Admin
Posts: 8808
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:23 pm
Location: Belgrade, MT
Contact:

Re: Grady Robison QB Eastlake WA commits

Post by kmax » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Marana CAT wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:12 pm
Why is he not on the 2020 committed list?
He is no longer committed, changed to Western Kentucky.


“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6323
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: BOOM

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:21 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:52 am
I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he ends up at MSU but he looks like an FBS QB and will likely get some MWC offers if not a few Pac12 offers like an Oregon State or Utah.
Wrong conference, correct division. FBS QB. Best of luck as a a Hilltoppers!


Greg K.

User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6323
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: BOOM

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:23 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:13 pm
I'd actually be surprised if he decommits. QB's rarely decommit compared to other positions.

It's nice to get a QB recruit at this time of the year. It helps with recruiting so much. Players are naturally driven to want to play with other good QB's. We saw it with Tucker Rovig too. Makes your skill position players feel secure in coming.
Well, he looked like an FBS player on film and his senior season was outstanding. Western Kentucky is a surprise, though. I was thinking more Nevada, UNLV, San Jose State which are closer to home.


Greg K.

Post Reply