Eddie Smith injury

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Kattywampus
New Recruit

Eddie Smith injury

Post by Kattywampus » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:58 pm

* * * INJURY UPDATE * * *
The injury bug bit the Bobcats for the first time Wednesday and Thursday, and the results caused MSU coach Mike Kramer consternation.

Sophomore cornerback Eddie Smith suffered a hamstring injury that will shelve him for 2-3 weeks. Smith spent the summer in Bozeman after transferring from a junior college, and had impressed Kramer. “Eddie is a wonderful guy and a terrific player, and this situation is hurtful for him. He loves to play football so much, standing on the sideline is not easy for him.” Kramer indicated that redshirt freshman Andre Fuller, who spent the spring working with the Bobcats’ first defensive unit, moves back into a starting role in Smith’s absence.
Unfortunate injury to a player who needs the reps to learn the system. As the countdown clock nears 22 Days 20 Hours and 3 Minutes and three weeks is 21 days that leaves 1 Day and 20 hours for him to get ready for Adams State. Hopefully he can come back in time or else our secondary will be even more young and unproven.
Last edited by Kattywampus on Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:54 am

Regarding "Learning the System", is there seriously a lot to learn at the Corner position? I honestly don't know. Aren't we almost 100% man to man? I know we have a few different looks\packages, etc, and they need to know how to line up, but after that it's pretty much "cover your guy and don't let him catch the ball, rig,ht?" I know that' a total armchair oversimplification but honestly how many different defensive packages can we really have where the corner does anything other than cover his receiver?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Bleedinbluengold
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:34 am

Probably about 30 variations, but you could end up changing 3-4 times in the last 10 seconds based on offensive or defensive audibles. If a DB misses an assignment, someone is wide-f-ing-open, and with the QBs in this conference - you are toast.

That's only half the equation - then there's run support.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:02 am

Bleedinbluengold wrote:Probably about 30 variations, but you could end up changing 3-4 times in the last 10 seconds based on offensive or defensive audibles. If a DB misses an assignment, someone is wide-f-ing-open, and with the QBs in this conference - you are toast.

So we're not always man to man?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:11 am

catatac wrote:
Bleedinbluengold wrote:Probably about 30 variations, but you could end up changing 3-4 times in the last 10 seconds based on offensive or defensive audibles. If a DB misses an assignment, someone is wide-f-ing-open, and with the QBs in this conference - you are toast.

So we're not always man to man?
I don't know all the X's and O's, but from really watching Joey last year he would line up with his guy 95% of the time and take him FULL TIME (not switch) .. so if Eddie Smith is a true cover corner he will take the other teams best receiver and do the same I would think. If he doesn't have the skill to do that, then the X's and O's come into effect more with him I think. So I guess its all going to come down to how well he can cover on an island I would think. Plus as stated above, he will be needed in the right place for run support (something Joey was very very good at). Joey was not really PHYSICAL, but he could take anyone down with his sure tackling ability and speed.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:14 am

Cardiac your forgetting one thing: He has to be in running shape to do this. How long before he gets his wheels back?
Last edited by jagur1 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:18 am

jagur1 wrote:Cardiac your forgetting one thing: He has to be in running shape to do this. How long before he gets his wheels back?
Very true, hopefully he can still run/work out in mean time (not football type workout) and keep in shape. That also will be a factor. My guess he is out for 2 weeks or so, and maybe will miss the Adams State game and be in action for the Cal Poly game. I don't know the true extent of injury but it sounds like its just precautionary like Griz are doing with Rodamer.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:24 am

You need him back for Cal Poly....2 weeks off, since CSU could be a rest week. I hate the cat early sched...one easy win, and one play up game that doesn't count. Gives the cats 3 weeks to get ready for the BSC. Just don't lose to Cal P or kiss a home playoff game good bye.

Four

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:27 am

jagur1 wrote:You need him back for Cal Poly....2 weeks off, since CSU could be a rest week. I hate the cat early sched...one easy win, and one play up game that doesn't count. Gives the cats 3 weeks to get ready for the BSC. Just don't lose to Cal P or kiss a home playoff game good bye.

I agree again, Cal Poly is a BIG game for this team this year. They have 5 of the first 7 at home and they need wins in ALL of the home games in order to get a shot at playoffs no matter what happens in conference. Plus I want PAYBACK from last year. I hope we pound them and their option attack with our front 7.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:33 am

Da## the cats will have other whitemeat rooting for you at the Cal P. game. I wonder...any way to stop him from leaving Helena...if spike strips on the Highway would work. :D Please, I beg cat not to give whitemeat to much Bud Light. Nothing would bother me more than to have a naked Griz fan on TV rooting for the cats. :D Remember whitemeat you have another game to watch at 7pm that night.

Four

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:49 am

jagur1 wrote:Da## the cats will have other whitemeat rooting for you at the Cal P. game. I wonder...any way to stop him from leaving Helena...if spike strips on the Highway would work. :D Please, I beg cat not to give whitemeat to much Bud Light. Nothing would bother me more than to have a naked Griz fan on TV rooting for the cats. :D Remember whitemeat you have another game to watch at 7pm that night.
What's the fine for running naked out on the field? I'll tell you what, I'm not cheering for any team where the fans give me Olympia beer to drink. However, wouldn't it be kinda cool to be watching a Cat game on T.V. and see a steaker running on the field with a maroon Go Griz emblem on their back. Do they even put Cat games on T.V.?

Jagur, the game that night is at 6pm Montana time. Don't want you missing the first hour. The game could be over by then. And don't worry, I won't cheer loud like at a Grizzly game. I will however, show up in a Griz hat. :) That should raise some eyebrows.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:57 am

No, not always in Man even though it might appear that way.

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:58 am

I'd give white meat whatever beer you want to see you do that! That might be funniest thing I would ever see in my lifetime.

bobcatpride
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcatpride » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:45 pm

Remember cat fans we just got two transfers at CB 1 -Fresno State and 1-Syracuse I think Eddie may be fighting for the starting job anyway.

These guys are on the current roster that I saw at practice yesterday.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:53 pm

bobcatpride wrote:Remember cat fans we just got two transfers at CB 1 -Fresno State and 1-Syracuse I think Eddie may be fighting for the starting job anyway.

These guys are on the current roster that I saw at practice yesterday.
Sweet, I guess know we know where they dropped down from. Thats great news.

Kattywampus
New Recruit

Post by Kattywampus » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:10 pm

Remember cat fans we just got two transfers at CB 1 -Fresno State and 1-Syracuse I think Eddie may be fighting for the starting job anyway.
The post said that Andre Fuller would be inserted into the starting lineup. Maybe the D1 transfers haven't overtaken Fuller yet until they take more reps. Good news to hear that those guys are in camp and suited up. That bodes well for our secondary depth.

BTW- I saw that the post made its way onto "that other board" and started a little contraversy. My original post wasn't intended to inflame anyone. I have been mostly an interested observer of this board and thought I'd contribute a little. I appreciate the insight on the board and especially the practice reports as information about the team is very hard to come by at this point in the year when the anticipation level is near its highest. Keep up the good work and lets keep the BobcatNation community thriving.
Last edited by Kattywampus on Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSU '99