Future schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Future schedule

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:51 pm
Writer Colton Pool must be young or new or both. Eastern Washington is the real deal, but Weber State is anything but a "Perennial Big Sky Power" They have, infact, won exactly five BSC championships since the conference began in 1963. Three in the last century plus the last two years. Montana State IS a perennial Big Sky Power, second only to the griz with fifteen outright or co-championships and three National Championships...two while in the Big Sky Conference. Previous HC Rob Ash won three in his eight years in Bozeman. The first was in his fourth season. Coach Mike Kramer who arrived in 2000 added three more, the first in his third season. For the record, Coach Choate was not brought in to compete with Weber State. He was brought in to restore the Bobcats and beat everyone.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 am

Another question... Say a school has gate receipts of $1,000,000. Thought I saw a post that the University has to pay a portion to the ncaa. Rough estimate, what would the amount be?

And I guess a second question... If gate receipts are so great for um why are they so deep into their reserves?

Thanks...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am

RickRund wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 am
Another question... Say a school has gate receipts of $1,000,000. Thought I saw a post that the University has to pay a portion to the ncaa. Rough estimate, what would the amount be?

And I guess a second question... If gate receipts are so great for um why are they so deep into their reserves?

Thanks...
I don't think regular season gate receipts have to be shared with the NCAA, just post-season. I'm sure dues are paid to the NCAA so you could say that a chunk of that revenue goes to the NCAA, but I don't believe they're asking for a percentage for regular season games.

And for UM, I think their deficit is coming from dwindling enrollment. Each student pays a certain amount towards athletics through their fees. When enrollment drops by 50% or whatever it is, it's easy to see that the revenue from that source (which is surely a huge chunk of the athletics budget) makes a huge impact. Football has always sustained that athletic department when enrollment was high, but they'd need to play a lot more games to get what they're losing from falling enrollment.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu May 09, 2019 9:57 am

catatac wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:15 pm
RickRund wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:10 pm
Question about schools paying opponent's to travel to their venue? Using um as the example here. Where do these monies come from? If um has $21,000 left in their reserves how would they pay, ex:$200,000, to anyone? Do they hope for huge gate receipts?

This would go for all universities...
Yes? A lot of people go to Griz games, even if they're playing a cupcake. 20,000 X $50(?) = $1,000,000 which doesn't include concessions, merchandise, etc.
Also, just because they have $21,000 in their coffers doesn't mean they only have $21,000. They still have an operating budget of some seven-digit number that they're getting from various sources. Beyond that, I'm sure they've already brought in $10 million or more (maybe a lot more) in season ticket sales and sponsorships.

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu May 09, 2019 10:23 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Writer Colton Pool must be young or new or both. Eastern Washington is the real deal, but Weber State is anything but a "Perennial Big Sky Power" They have, infact, won exactly five BSC championships since the conference began in 1963. Three in the last century plus the last two years. Montana State IS a perennial Big Sky Power, second only to the griz with fifteen outright or co-championships and three National Championships...two while in the Big Sky Conference. Previous HC Rob Ash won three in his eight years in Bozeman. The first was in his fourth season. Coach Mike Kramer who arrived in 2000 added three more, the first in his third season. For the record, Coach Choate was not brought in to compete with Weber State. He was brought in to restore the Bobcats and beat everyone.
Well said. Well said. :thumbup:

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu May 09, 2019 11:23 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
I guess it depends upon your frame of reference. Granted, WSU hasn't historically been a BSC power, but they have been one of the better programs in the league over the last 10 years or so, and they've been particularly good the last 4 or 5 years. During the last few years, they've been better than either MSU or UM, and pretty much right up there with EWU, as the two best programs in the BSC.

If you want an analogy at the FBS level, think of Clemson and Nebraska. I'm old enough that I still tend to think of Nebraska as being a "perennial power" even though they haven't been relevant nationally for about 15 years now, while I don't consider Clemson as being an historically elite program. Based upon recent history though, the last 5 years or so, Clemson and Alabama have clearly been the 2 best programs in the country.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu May 09, 2019 12:48 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am
RickRund wrote:

Thanks...
I don't think regular season gate receipts have to be shared with the NCAA, just post-season. I'm sure dues are paid to the NCAA so you could say that a chunk of that revenue goes to the NCAA, but I don't believe they're asking for a percentage for regular season games.

And for UM, I think their deficit is coming from dwindling enrollment. Each student pays a certain amount towards athletics through their fees. When enrollment drops by 50% or whatever it is, it's easy to see that the revenue from that source (which is surely a huge chunk of the athletics budget) makes a huge impact. Football has always sustained that athletic department when enrollment was high, but they'd need to play a lot more games to get what they're losing from falling enrollment.
And don’t forget that the new Student Center addition added $5 million in serviceable debt. Those payments added costs at a time their revenues are falling. The new facility also added additional operating costs which only add to the fiscal pain.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu May 09, 2019 5:09 pm

John K wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:23 am
Mr Lisle wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
I guess it depends upon your frame of reference. Granted, WSU hasn't historically been a BSC power, but they have been one of the better programs in the league over the last 10 years or so, and they've been particularly good the last 4 or 5 years. During the last few years, they've been better than either MSU or UM, and pretty much right up there with EWU, as the two best programs in the BSC.

If you want an analogy at the FBS level, think of Clemson and Nebraska. I'm old enough that I still tend to think of Nebraska as being a "perennial power" even though they haven't been relevant nationally for about 15 years now, while I don't consider Clemson as being an historically elite program. Based upon recent history though, the last 5 years or so, Clemson and Alabama have clearly been the 2 best programs in the country.
You'll have to forgive me if it looks like I'm pushing this, but Weber ranks right behind the griz when it comes to teams I enjoy disliking most. It's an old story and goes clear back to the era of "the riot". So when I saw the story mentioned the Bobcats are working their way to compete with "Perennial" favorite Weber State I gagged on my can of Vim. Let's look at the definition of "Perennial". "Lasting or existing for a long or infinite time; enduring and recurring." So, going back to just 2010, hardley infinite... Weber has gone just 1-5 vs. Eastern. Finally beat them last year 14-6. They are 3-3 vs. the griz winning 24-21 in 2015 and again in 2017 41-27. But these are not your PaPa Bear's Griz. Has anyone else noticed the griz have not won a conference championship since 2009? Now in Mizzoo THAT must feel like "infinite". Finally, Weber is 3-4 vs. the Bobcats. All three have come since 2016. Ash never lost to them. Since 2010 Weber is 7-12 vs. the other "Perennial" powers. So, I guess if the author's own definition of "Perennial" is the last three years...I guess he's right.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu May 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:09 pm
John K wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

You'll have to forgive me if it looks like I'm pushing this, but Weber ranks right behind the griz when it comes to teams I enjoy disliking most. It's an old story and goes clear back to the era of "the riot". So when I saw the story mentioned the Bobcats are working their way to compete with "Perennial" favorite Weber State I gagged on my can of Vim. Let's look at the definition of "Perennial". "Lasting or existing for a long or infinite time; enduring and recurring." So, going back to just 2010, hardley infinite... Weber has gone just 1-5 vs. Eastern. Finally beat them last year 14-6. They are 3-3 vs. the griz winning 24-21 in 2015 and again in 2017 41-27. But these are not your PaPa Bear's Griz. Has anyone else noticed the griz have not won a conference championship since 2009? Now in Mizzoo THAT must feel like "infinite". Finally, Weber is 3-4 vs. the Bobcats. All three have come since 2016. Ash never lost to them. Since 2010 Weber is 7-12 vs. the other "Perennial" powers. So, I guess if the author's own definition of "Perennial" is the last three years...I guess he's right.
I don't completely disagree with you...being at or near the top of the conference for a few years doesn't necessarily mean a program should be considered a "perennial power". A minor correction though...Ash lost to Weber at least 1 time that I can think of just off the top of my head, in 2008 when they also beat UM and tied them for the BSC title.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu May 09, 2019 6:54 pm

John K wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:25 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
John K wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

I don't completely disagree with you...being at or near the top of the conference for a few years doesn't necessarily mean a program should be considered a "perennial power". A minor correction though...Ash lost to Weber at least 1 time that I can think of just off the top of my head, in 2008 when they also beat UM and tied them for the BSC title.
You are correct John K! After further review...Weber did indeed beat the Cats and Ash in his first season, 2008. It was a butt kick of which I prefer not to print.

bob12
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bob12 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:53 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:54 pm
John K wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
John K wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

You are correct John K! After further review...Weber did indeed beat the Cats and Ash in his first season, 2008. It was a butt kick of which I prefer not to print.
Perennial is what the person makes of it. Since 2003 I have worried every time the Cats played Weber. They always play the Cats tough. I don't usually worry about Sac or Port St because they don't usually amount to much. Weber State is here for the now, whether we like it or not. Them being good is good for the Big Sky. I hope they are good year in and year out. Just like I hope the Griz are good every year, when our team wins it is a feather in the cap. Being part of the resurgence (even though I'm only fan) is amazing.

The players playing for the Cats don't care who they are about to beat, we put too much stock in that. It's coach speak, but they go one game at a time.

The only thing I want to know is, grades are definitely out. Is Murray ready to strap on and go or not?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri May 10, 2019 6:23 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:54 pm
John K wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
John K wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Yep, it was a butt kicking, and in Bozeman no less. But then we came back and beat them in Odgen the next year, thanks to that great goal line stand at the end of the game. Another minor correction though...Ash's first season was 2007, not 2008.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 am

I was at that game and while the final score was lopsided it wasn’t a bad game. Weber scored on an incredibly lucky play as they were trailing 9-7. The ball went in and out of the intended receiver and deflected to another receiver who had nothing but open field ahead since everyone on defense was moving toward where the intended receiver was. A 58 yard touchdown. MSU blew two scoring opportunities when a wide open receiver dropped a TD pass. Then MSU settled for fg after getting a first and goal. Cameron Higgins was stellar even without the lucky score. Weber tacked on a TD with about a minute left.

Homer9923
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Homer9923 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:48 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am
RickRund wrote:

Thanks...

And don’t forget that the new Student Center addition added $5 million in serviceable debt. Those payments added costs at a time their revenues are falling. The new facility also added additional operating costs which only add to the fiscal pain.
Another factor to consider is that UM has not had a home playoff game since 2015. Yes, the NCAA does take a cut of the gate. However, when you can add two or three playoffs games to your home schedule, that helps with revenue. I think one of the reasons Bob Stitt was let go was because he wasn't getting them home playoff games.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:12 pm

It's hard to find any exact numbers that the NCAA uses, but I found an article about Nicholls State and their playoff expenses. The numbers from their 2017 playoff game would be close to ours from last year. After a $50,000 bid ,with 9,612 in attendance, and the NCAA cut, they made between $10-$15,000.

https://www.houmatoday.com/sports/20181 ... aight-year

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:10 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:37 am
Rich K wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:13 am
Cool, the Griz come to Bozeman in ‘19, ‘20, and ‘21.
The dates are off for 2020 as well. Typical BSC :oops: :oops:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:16 pm

Rich K wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:09 am
catatac wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:05 am
Rich K wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:56 am

I think their must be a misprint. Here's from the MSU page
https://msubobcats.com/news/2019/5/7/bo ... slate.aspx

2020 MONTANA STATE FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Sept. 5 Long Island
Sept. 12 at Utah
Sept. 19 Dixie State
Sept. 26 *at Portland State
Oct. 3 *Northern Colorado
Oct. 10 *Cal Poly
Oct. 17 *at Weber State
Oct. 24 *Idaho State
Oct. 31 Open
Nov. 7 *at Eastern Washington
Nov. 14 *Idaho
Nov. 21 *at Montana
Boy, our away schedule here is brutal. Hopefully we don't have another tough opponent on that Octi 31 date, it will probably be an away game. Travel to Utah, Weber, EWU, and Montana already.
It could be brutal, but the open date before that last 3 game run before the playoffs might be a Godsend.
Pretty sure that will be a bye.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:24 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:06 am
Hawks86 wrote:
The Utah and Oregon State games each pay $675,000. The $2.3 million includes those two games and two others. That’s $575,000 per game. MSU is entering uncharted waters with these payouts. Not sure how many games MSU has received over $500,000 for previously, but not many.
Texas A&M, Michigan State, Kansas State were all in that range.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed May 15, 2019 9:46 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:24 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
The Utah and Oregon State games each pay $675,000. The $2.3 million includes those two games and two others. That’s $575,000 per game. MSU is entering uncharted waters with these payouts. Not sure how many games MSU has received over $500,000 for previously, but not many.
I thought the current going rate for a P5 opponent was closer to $1 million.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 am

Cledus wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:46 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:24 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
I thought the current going rate for a P5 opponent was closer to $1 million.
According the Hero Sports some of last year's largest payouts were P5 teams bringing in smaller FBS teams. Oregon State got 1.7 million to go to Ohio State. Utah State got 1.4 to go to Michigan State. It looks like most of the FCS vs FBS matchups are between 300,000 and 600,000 depending on the FBS opponent. Davis got 400 to play San Jose State last year. Weber got 550 to play Utah. Eastern IL got 525 for Arkansas. Incarnate Word got 325 for New Mexico. 675 is actually a pretty solid payout for us for OSU and Utah.