Alex Singleton

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Alex Singleton

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:00 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:25 am
Cledus wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:47 pm
I don't know how it's possible for him to be on the bubble given the preseason he's had. I checked out the box score and there isn't even a close second to Singleton in tackles made. I think it was 15 solo tackles, and 1 assist (or two halves).
Because NFL teams generally give drafted guys the benefit of the doubt over undrafted guys.

Because nobody in the front office loses face if they cut the CFL tryout guy.

Because Alex doesn't look very big.

Because tackles are a worthless stat.

I'm not saying Alex shouldn't make the team. I'm just saying there are reasons he might not.

I get what you are saying. but disagree on the "alex doesn't look very big" comment. isn't he like 6'3", and pushing 240 pounds? pretty big dude, even for NFL Linebacker standards.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:11 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Cledus wrote:
I don't know how it's possible for him to be on the bubble given the preseason he's had. I checked out the box score and there isn't even a close second to Singleton in tackles made. I think it was 15 solo tackles, and 1 assist (or two halves).
Because NFL teams generally give drafted guys the benefit of the doubt over undrafted guys.

I'm not saying Alex shouldn't make the team. I'm just saying there are reasons he might not.
Could you elaborate on the tackles? From a predictive analytic perspective I see what you're saying. But I see a player's tally as an objective way to measure instinct, coachibility(sp?), native talent, and being in the correct position.

Everything else you mentioned, I get. It's a shame at the highest level of competition the front offices still put their ego ahead of the business. If it were me, I'd say "Yeah, we missed on him the first time but given the second chance we weren't about to make the same mistake again."

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:29 am

Cledus wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:11 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Cledus wrote:

Could you elaborate on the tackles? From a predictive analytic perspective I see what you're saying. But I see a player's tally as an objective way to measure instinct, coachibility(sp?), native talent, and being in the correct position.

Everything else you mentioned, I get. It's a shame at the highest level of competition the front offices still put their ego ahead of the business. If it were me, I'd say "Yeah, we missed on him the first time but given the second chance we weren't about to make the same mistake again."
I think the answer is somewhere in between. Seems like we're always so black and white on here but the reality is usually in the grey area. I wouldn't agree that tackles are a "worthless" stat, but I'd certainly say they're an overrated stat. They are probably an even more overrated stat given the fact that he was playing against a bunch of guys last night who are about to get cut. By all accounts he impressed last night, so we'll see. If he's getting cut I'm guessing somebody is losing a lot of sleep over him.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:32 am

Every projection I’ve seen has Singleton getting cut and the Eagles keeping Edwards, who is three years younger. Guess we will know either later today or tomorrow.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:03 am

PapaG wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:32 am
Every projection I’ve seen has Singleton getting cut and the Eagles keeping Edwards, who is three years younger. Guess we will know either later today or tomorrow.
I have seen the same thing on cut list. Many project he will be placed on the practice squad but I expect someone thin at LB will pick him up. It really seems crazy that Edwards would get the nod because he is 3 years. Doesn’t that also translate to Alex having 3 years more experience playing at a pro level (albeit Canada)? And he excelled at that pro-level.

Last nights performance should clearly show that he is better than the guys getting cut... It should be a virtual lock that Alex gets activated on a 53 man roster (either Philly or elsewhere) by the end of the season. Guys get hurt all the time.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:21 am

I hope he makes the 53 but he's in an interesting position. If he gets cut, does he want to go through the whole practice squad experience again when he can re-sign in Canada?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:28 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:21 am
I hope he makes the 53 but he's in an interesting position. If he gets cut, does he want to go through the whole practice squad experience again when he can re-sign in Canada?
This time around he may be in different territory because if he gets cut, another team may not want him on their practice squad because they'll want him on their 53-man roster.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Danster21
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Danster21 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:46 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:28 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:21 am
This time around he may be in different territory because if he gets cut, another team may not want him on their practice squad because they'll want him on their 53-man roster.
Yep, he would have to clear waivers to get put on the PS, but that leaves him vulnerable (in a good way) to get picked up by another squad. Godspeed, Alex.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:30 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:00 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Cledus wrote:

I get what you are saying. but disagree on the "alex doesn't look very big" comment. isn't he like 6'3", and pushing 240 pounds? pretty big dude, even for NFL Linebacker standards.
Alex is listed at 6'2" 240. In my opinion, I don't really want my LBers to be 6'3" or higher in a 4-3 anyway, but in this case I'm talking about bulk. He doesn't really look like he's carrying 240+. This is not really my original thought. A bunch of Eagles fans commented on it, but I can't really deny what they're saying.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:41 pm

Cledus wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:11 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Cledus wrote:

Because it's a stat that lumps very good things and very bad things together into a single number and pretends that they are equal.

If all 16 of those tackles are behind the line of scrimmage, he's the best player who ever lived.

If all 16 of those tackles are 4 yards past the line of scrimmage on running plays, he's getting his ass beat and killing the team.

If all 16 of those tackles are 2 yards past the line of scrimmage, he's piling up an above-average number of approximately average plays in a way that helps his team overall. So this is good. For more about what average really means in the running game, click here.

If all 16 of those tackles are in coverage then he's giving up a ton of catches, which is a problem now that almost all coaches have figured out that passing is by far the best way to move the ball. Now if it's a 3-yard dumpoff on 3rd and 13, it's still a good play, but you can't be giving up fifteen and a half catches.

Obviously, there's no way all 16 tackles are in any one of those categories. They're a mix. But if they're mostly team-killing tackles with a few good ones mixed in, then overall the stat is bad. If they're mostly the good ones, you can live with a few bad ones. And the way tackle stats are typically reported, there is almost no way a fan will ever be able to find out if it's a good mix or a bad mix.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:45 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:41 pm

Because it's a stat that lumps very good things and very bad things together into a single number and pretends that they are equal.

If all 16 of those tackles are behind the line of scrimmage, he's the best player who ever lived.

If all 16 of those tackles are 4 yards past the line of scrimmage on running plays, he's getting his ass beat and killing the team.

If all 16 of those tackles are 2 yards past the line of scrimmage, he's piling up an above-average number of approximately average plays in a way that helps his team overall. So this is good. For more about what average really means in the running game, click here.

If all 16 of those tackles are in coverage then he's giving up a ton of catches, which is a problem now that almost all coaches have figured out that passing is by far the best way to move the ball. Now if it's a 3-yard dumpoff on 3rd and 13, it's still a good play, but you can't be giving up fifteen and a half catches.

Obviously, there's no way all 16 tackles are in any one of those categories. They're a mix. But if they're mostly team-killing tackles with a few good ones mixed in, then overall the stat is bad. If they're mostly the good ones, you can live with a few bad ones. And the way tackle stats are typically reported, there is almost no way a fan will ever be able to find out if it's a good mix or a bad mix.
OK, but the Jets only scored 6 points and Singleton played 100% of the snaps with 15 tackles. I tend to use points allowed along with tackles as a good indicator of a player's influence on the game.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:03 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:45 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

OK, but the Jets only scored 6 points and Singleton played 100% of the snaps with 15 tackles. I tend to use points allowed along with tackles as a good indicator of a player's influence on the game.
Faulty logic.

Tackles are typically an overrated statistic for the reasons listed above. Best way to tell is by watching the game tape.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:10 pm

Alex Singleton just got Cut.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:12 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:10 pm
I expect him to be on a NFL team by no later than Monday. The Eagles are going to try and sneak him through on their practice squad. I'm guessing he won't clear waivers and will get picked up.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:15 pm

SACCAT wrote:

Well that is just stupid.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Just unfollowed all the eagle experts and can resume hating them completely.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:31 pm

F the Eagles. I hope my Packers pick him up.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:55 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:03 pm
PapaG wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

Faulty logic.

Tackles are typically an overrated statistic for the reasons listed above. Best way to tell is by watching the game tape.
Would it be more of an overrated team stat but not necessarily an overrated player stat? At least in this instance.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:17 pm

RickRund wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:55 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:03 pm
PapaG wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

Faulty logic.

Would it be more of an overrated team stat but not necessarily an overrated player stat? At least in this instance.
The EaglesWire noted he was waived after making 15 tackles last night vs. the Jets and acknowleged there should be a list of NFL suitors on the way.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:19 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:12 pm
SACCAT wrote:
I expect him to be on a NFL team by no later than Monday. The Eagles are going to try and sneak him through on their practice squad. I'm guessing he won't clear waivers and will get picked up.
The Eagles know they can't put him on the practice squad because he said he would play in Canada instead.

-Trent King, Playmakers