2020 commitments (38) and offers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2020 commitments (32) and offers

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:37 am

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:51 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:52 pm
That hurts.
I’m not sure we were actively pursuing him.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:59 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:37 am
AFCAT wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
That hurts.
He wasn't picking Sac State over us, I know that.

It was a numbers situation. Needed DL more than LB.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:10 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:59 am
wbtfg wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
That hurts.

It was a numbers situation. Needed DL more than LB.
I am sure that Troy Taylor and a number of Ngata’s high school coaches from Folsom High are now running Sac State probably had a lot to do with it.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:26 am

wbtfg wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
That hurts.
Well, a lot of the coaching staff started following him on Twitter when he announced he was transferring.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Sac_hornets
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sac_hornets » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:32 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
That hurts.

It was a numbers situation. Needed DL more than LB
That’s a bit conceded don’t you think 🤔
He would be very familiar with the Sac State coaching staff and we would be overwhelming favorites over MSU. So hell yeah he would pick Sac State over MSU. Get off your high horse.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:24 pm

Sac_hornets wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:32 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
That hurts.

He would be very familiar with the Sac State coaching staff and we would be overwhelming favorites over MSU. So hell yeah he would pick Sac State over MSU. Get off your high horse.
Conceded? I believe you meant conceited. Anyway, MSU does have a lot of connections with UW and Ngata, including multiple coaches, staff personnel, and players. I doubt SAC was an overwhelming favorite, but be happy SAC got Ngata. I’m sure he will be a great player and I wish he had come to MSU.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Sac_hornets
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sac_hornets » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:09 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:24 pm
Sac_hornets wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:32 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
That hurts.

Conceded? I believe you meant conceited. Anyway, MSU does have a lot of connections with UW and Ngata, including multiple coaches, staff personnel, and players. I doubt SAC was an overwhelming favorite, but be happy SAC got Ngata. I’m sure he will be a great player and I wish he had come to MSU.
Yeah, meant conceited. I mean come one, the Sac State coaches, coached the kid for four years, know him inside and out, MSU may have knew him a little, but nothing like Sac State. Very excited to get him, but I do think both MSU and Sac State had amazing new kids added for the new season. The other thing you’re forgetting is Ngata also played with many of the kids on Sac State team, knows the and likes the area very well.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:01 pm

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:15 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:01 pm
I never gave much thought to recruiting over current players until a few years ago, but I've come to realize it happens almost everywhere and if you're a player and you don't realize this, then you'd have to be pretty naive. The only place that it isn't a common practice is probably at DIII schools, which I really like about DIII. I think most of them are just happy to have players willing to pay for half or more of their school at schools where the tuition is astronomical. Many, if not most, DIII school have great academics.

Even the Frontier Conference teams do this to a certain extent, but the Big Sky teams have to do it.

I've grown rather annoyed at all the press commits and individual signings have gotten. I can see talking about recruiting in general, but the commits' media coverage is a bit much. I understand that this is a big moment for athletes, but at the same time only about 1/4 to 1/3 actually stick for four years. I much prefer to hear about how kids are playing via game and pre-game stories, than read about them in a feature when they sign. Game and pre-game stories are so vague these days that a lot of times the signing day story is the first I've heard of the athlete, which is kind of sad.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:39 pm

If guys are worried about getting recruited over, they're probably not mentally strong enough to handle college football.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:36 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:39 pm
If guys are worried about getting recruited over, they're probably not mentally strong enough to handle college football.
Somewhere back when Choate got here, I thought he said his job as a coach was to recruit the best talent each and every year and to recruit the best possible recruit available. So his job was to force the players to compete to play or sit.
Or words to that effect.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:33 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:15 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
I never gave much thought to recruiting over current players until a few years ago, but I've come to realize it happens almost everywhere and if you're a player and you don't realize this, then you'd have to be pretty naive. The only place that it isn't a common practice is probably at DIII schools, which I really like about DIII. I think most of them are just happy to have players willing to pay for half or more of their school at schools where the tuition is astronomical. Many, if not most, DIII school have great academics.

Even the Frontier Conference teams do this to a certain extent, but the Big Sky teams have to do it.

I've grown rather annoyed at all the press commits and individual signings have gotten. I can see talking about recruiting in general, but the commits' media coverage is a bit much. I understand that this is a big moment for athletes, but at the same time only about 1/4 to 1/3 actually stick for four years. I much prefer to hear about how kids are playing via game and pre-game stories, than read about them in a feature when they sign. Game and pre-game stories are so vague these days that a lot of times the signing day story is the first I've heard of the athlete, which is kind of sad.
This is a great point and I find it exhausting, too. But the fact of the matter is recruiting is a big business. We do recruiting stories for two reasons: one, its the No. 1 thing you folks read and pay for. And No. 2, I always tell every athlete to start an interview the same line: "I will interview you today as you commit and I will interview you when you are a senior for another feature about your career. The rest of how much coverage you get or earn is up to you."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:22 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:33 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

This is a great point and I find it exhausting, too. But the fact of the matter is recruiting is a big business. We do recruiting stories for two reasons: one, its the No. 1 thing you folks read and pay for. And No. 2, I always tell every athlete to start an interview the same line: "I will interview you today as you commit and I will interview you when you are a senior for another feature about your career. The rest of how much coverage you get or earn is up to you."
I’m mostly talking about picking up a newspaper and seeing a big story with a photo about a player that the newspapers barely talked about all year committing or signing somewhere. First, since they barely covered or half-covered that player it’s hard to connect. I have this weird tic that makes me think I should’ve heard of this kid before they’ve committed. It’s kinda like only going to mass on Christmas or the only game they go to is Cat-Griz.

Skyline’s are understandable in that the players are often from out of state, so it’s a get-to-know thing.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:46 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:22 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

I’m mostly talking about picking up a newspaper and seeing a big story with a photo about a player that the newspapers barely talked about all year committing or signing somewhere. First, since they barely covered or half-covered that player it’s hard to connect. I have this weird tic that makes me think I should’ve heard of this kid before they’ve committed. It’s kinda like only going to mass on Christmas or the only game they go to is Cat-Griz.

Skyline’s are understandable in that the players are often from out of state, so it’s a get-to-know thing.
Tom do you think it has something to do with the fact that--at least in Montana--anybody writing about high school sports during the season is chasing a thousand little stories (and scores) all over the state and can't even think about individual features? Then when the season ends and high school basketball hasn't really hit full stride yet, they can start to chase down individual athletes? I guess I'm just wondering if the only reason we hear about anybody even at signing time is because it happens to be during a down time for sports news. I completely agree with you though, even as somebody who's very plugged in to high school sports, I always find myself saying "I've never even heard of this kid" when he announces he's signing with the Cats or Griz.

And my annoyance is with so much of the self-generated hype that recruits have. It's one thing to get hype, it's another thing altogether to create it for yourself. I mean good for them because it matters, but it's annoying. It's just what social media has created I guess, this idea that everybody can promote themselves, and it's not just athletes. For crying out loud, people have parties to announce the gender of their babies and get 200 "likes" for posting a picture of their breakfast, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Rant over...for a minute.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:23 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:46 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:22 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Tom do you think it has something to do with the fact that--at least in Montana--anybody writing about high school sports during the season is chasing a thousand little stories (and scores) all over the state and can't even think about individual features? Then when the season ends and high school basketball hasn't really hit full stride yet, they can start to chase down individual athletes? I guess I'm just wondering if the only reason we hear about anybody even at signing time is because it happens to be during a down time for sports news. I completely agree with you though, even as somebody who's very plugged in to high school sports, I always find myself saying "I've never even heard of this kid" when he announces he's signing with the Cats or Griz.

And my annoyance is with so much of the self-generated hype that recruits have. It's one thing to get hype, it's another thing altogether to create it for yourself. I mean good for them because it matters, but it's annoying. It's just what social media has created I guess, this idea that everybody can promote themselves, and it's not just athletes. For crying out loud, people have parties to announce the gender of their babies and get 200 "likes" for posting a picture of their breakfast, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Rant over...for a minute.
I think they should focus on the teams (With pregame and game stories) in their team immediate area. That should be the backbone. Features and columns should flow out of those. If someone commits, then put a couple paragraphs in the briefs, then one story on everyone on signing day. Committing/signing isn’t that interesting. It’s pretty much a boilerplate story with the names and college name changed. Quotes don’t vary much. “The coaches made me feel at home.” “It’s like a big family.” That’s true and cool and great, but...yawn.

Games (the moment) need to be hyped and then lauded. Everything boils down to that 40 or 60 minutes, so that’s the focus. Typically, I like to read about a player’s exploits, THEN get to know more about the person. A 4.0 student, raised by the grandma, saved from sharks by a dolphin...well that one could go first. :wink:

toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:26 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:22 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:26 pm
Same guy...

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:05 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:26 pm
Could be something, could be nothing. But 5 of the coaches just followed a U of Arizona grad transfer safety as well. And Chacho Ulloa followed them all back.....

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:36 am

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:37 pm