2020 commitments (38) and offers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2020 commitments (20) and offers

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:05 am

I bet we see 3 transfers and/or drop downs at safety. Maybe even more than that. We basically lose the entire 2 deep...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:44 am

Does anyone think Hardy could play that SS role? He's pretty fast and coming along fast. Probably not enough time to get him practiced up there to be effective.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:48 am

technoCat wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:44 am
Does anyone think Hardy could play that SS role? He's pretty fast and coming along fast. Probably not enough time to get him practiced up there to be effective.
I honestly just went through the roster to see if anyone had the body type and speed that Konkol had and the only one I saw was Hardy. I do know he only started playing football his senior year in high school and has had a steep learning curve. Not sure how long it would take to get him to understand all the coverages and back-end responsibilities but he is a bright kid. He is definitely starting to come into his own at OLB though......

joe_montana_state
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by joe_montana_state » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:16 pm

I bet they throw the 41 jersey on Troy Andersen and move him to strong safety. The LB group is holding their own without him and we get all those guys back.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:23 pm

joe_montana_state wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:16 pm
I bet they throw the 41 jersey on Troy Andersen and move him to strong safety. The LB group is holding their own without him and we get all those guys back.
TA would be a hell of a replacement for Konkel, the only thing is that at SAM we don't need a nickle back if TA is there. Its a tough decision

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:30 pm

technoCat wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:44 am
No.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2020 commitments (21) and offers

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:43 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:02 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:00 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:43 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:19 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:07 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:30 am
Well, I hope this will open up an opportunity to land a big time player for our d-line. Pretty sure QB is set for a while. Time to reload on some more talent on the defensive side.
Everyone keeps prioritizing d-line but we have some pretty damn good youth and depth at the position. What we should be talking about? Safety.
How about Okada at Safety? Sure tackler. Good speed, physical and great instincts.
Oh don't get me wrong, I like Okada at safety. But I would hate to lose him in that nickel role. Brayden, Jacque, Jojo, and Brian Campbell (will graduate despite one year of eligibility left) will all be moving on and MSU will need to fill some holes not just for depth but also experience. We can move this conversation to another thread but the current depth at the position for next year is Ty Okada, Luke May, Rylan Ortt...that's it. Last I heard Keaton Anderson took the year off to rehab and make a comeback but injuries have almost derailed his development. The only two corners who may be able to transition are Eric Zambrano or Tylor Bohannon. Alex Johnson may be able to transition from linebacker to strong safety but not sure he has the speed to play that position at this level. Anyway, I'm sure the coaches will bring in some transfers but I just don't understand everyone's concern about our defensive line when the safety cupboard is almost empty.
Okada is really freaking good in that nickel/slot corner role.
Agreed, but so is JCole. Hopefully he's able to make it back from injury.
Jalen Cole is nowhere near as good against the run as Ty is.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:49 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:43 pm
wbtfg wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Well, I hope this will open up an opportunity to land a big time player for our d-line. Pretty sure QB is set for a while. Time to reload on some more talent on the defensive side.
Everyone keeps prioritizing d-line but we have some pretty damn good youth and depth at the position. What we should be talking about? Safety.
How about Okada at Safety? Sure tackler. Good speed, physical and great instincts.
Oh don't get me wrong, I like Okada at safety. But I would hate to lose him in that nickel role. Brayden, Jacque, Jojo, and Brian Campbell (will graduate despite one year of eligibility left) will all be moving on and MSU will need to fill some holes not just for depth but also experience. We can move this conversation to another thread but the current depth at the position for next year is Ty Okada, Luke May, Rylan Ortt...that's it. Last I heard Keaton Anderson took the year off to rehab and make a comeback but injuries have almost derailed his development. The only two corners who may be able to transition are Eric Zambrano or Tylor Bohannon. Alex Johnson may be able to transition from linebacker to strong safety but not sure he has the speed to play that position at this level. Anyway, I'm sure the coaches will bring in some transfers but I just don't understand everyone's concern about our defensive line when the safety cupboard is almost empty.
Agreed, but his ability to cover guys JLM, Dean from ISU and Shaheed from Weber is where JCole really shines.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:51 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:49 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Agreed, but his ability to cover guys JLM, Dean from ISU and Shaheed from Weber is where JCole really shines.
I would argue Ty did just as well covering JLM, if not better. The other two I can't comment on, because we didn't play them.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:53 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:51 pm
wbtfg wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
I would argue Ty did just as well covering JLM, if not better. The other two I can't comment on, because we didn't play them.
Totally agree that Okada was JLM's daddy. I'm just saying if JCole comes back healthy, then we don't drop off at nickel if we move Ty back to free safety.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:10 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:53 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:51 pm
wbtfg wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Totally agree that Okada was JLM's daddy. I'm just saying if JCole comes back healthy, then we don't drop off at nickel if we move Ty back to free safety.
This is me quibbling, but I don't think Ty is a FS. People want to put him there because he's on the smaller side, but his skill set lends him more towards the SS spot. He plays closer to the line of scrimmage, good tackler, not really sure if he has the deep speed to be a FS. Now with that said, I would also argue that even though the coaches called Alleyne a rover, and Konkol a FS, Konkol played more of a stereotypical SS role. Now if Ty is a SS, can he handle covering TE's? I'm not sure he could.

I think ideally in base you have him at SS, then in nickel or dime packages you have him on the slot.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:13 pm

joe_montana_state wrote:
I've been thinking this since the UNC game. There's almost no way Troy doesn't get the 41 next year and he's likely not big enough to play LB on Sundays so we might as well move him to Safety now so that he can shore up that position (and make the All-Conference team at his third different position \:D/ ) for us and develop the skills needed for the future.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:19 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:13 pm
joe_montana_state wrote:
I've been thinking this since the UNC game. There's almost no way Troy doesn't get the 41 next year and he's likely not big enough to play LB on Sundays so we might as well move him to Safety now so that he can shore up that position (and make the All-Conference team at his third different position \:D/ ) for us and develop the skills needed for the future.
Here I'm going through the roster thinking who could actually play SS next year...and I didn't even think about Troy. Well there you have it...Troy and Ty at safety next year. Problem solved!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:25 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:13 pm
joe_montana_state wrote:
Not big enough to play LB in the NFL?

That's not true.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:11 pm

joe_montana_state wrote:

Hmmm... I hadn’t thought of that idea. I like it!.... it’s about time that we move him to a new position anyway. 😁

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:17 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:11 pm
joe_montana_state wrote:

Hmmm... I hadn’t thought of that idea. I like it!.... it’s about time that we move him to a new position anyway. 😁
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we lose Josh Hill after this season. That's a big loss in my opinion.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:19 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:17 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:11 pm
joe_montana_state wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we lose Josh Hill after this season. That's a big loss in my opinion.
It is but I fully believe in the development of our LB core under the tutelage of Bobby Daly. It's a loaded room.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:22 pm

joe_montana_state wrote:
This! We were just discussing this exact thing at work this morning. Boy if he could nail that position with his athleticism and size he'd be a mid-round draft pick for sure!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:58 pm

The closer Andersen is to the LOS, the better.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:59 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:58 pm
The closer Andersen is to the LOS, the better.
Put him at Nose then.

:lol: