QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: QB Update

Post by Norsky19 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:41 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:46 am
Norsky19 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:17 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm
So let me get this straight. A high school kid gets a scholly to play football at XYZ State U because he’s the fastest guy in XYZ. As he matures and adds weight and strength, he’ll never be faster than the day he set foot on campus? That’s the most rediculous thing I’ve heard in a while on BN.
Correct.
Some theories say muscle contracts at a speed determined by genetics. If this is true, top speed won't change as measured by a radar gun. However, with more muscle you can get to your inherent top speed quicker, realizing a faster 40 time. I'll take quickness over top speed in football....both are awesome. My own 40 times, vertical and cone drill results all improved greatly through Olympic lifts and heavy power lifting. I also gained 20 lbs over 3 years. Increased weight, increased quickness vastly increased impacts. Not to mention improved running mechanics and muscle memory through training and practice.....

Newer research contests some of these older ones by showing muscle can contract faster with training (fast twitch) and combined with explosive training...well you get the idea. BIGGER FASTER STRONGER. (not the program ;)

https://uk.humankinetics.com/blogs/exce ... tion-speed

Training the nervous system to recruit more fibers at any given moment in time is another factor in power output. Trained athletes are able to recruit a higher percentage then average folks through training and have vastly improved quickness with hypertrophied cells. Ironically couch potatoes have a higher percentage of Type IIB cells.....it's complicated. ;) (allows for fight or flight response with a dose of epinephrine)
What’s the average distance it takes an elite athletes to get to full speed? If it’s ‘burst’ that’s increasing, the 40 time is getting better albeit small increments (if I’m reading correctly). Troy Anderson it appears, hits max speed within a few strides. Chris Murray appears as such too. Not saying they are elite runners but damn impressive by Big Sky Conference standards.
Tell tale signs of speed mechanics: heel to butt, quad parallel to ground at front, ball of foot strike below and slightly behind center of mass....these are all traits of both Andersen and Murray. It sure doesn't hurt that they have long strides eating up territory. Sprinting is a series of linked recoveries from falling on your face. :) Add in explosive power from Cleans, Squats, Deadlifting, Snatch, KB Swings etc.... You can improve acceleration to maximum velocity(quickness) thereby improving 40 times. Football speed.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 am

I’ll bet anyone on here a donut that if Murray is eligible, healthy and with the team he’ll be starting QB next fall.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:52 am

utucats wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 am
I’ll bet anyone on here a donut that if Murray is eligible, healthy and with the team he’ll be starting QB next fall.
I'm with you here, been saying it since he was reinstated at school. His athleticism is too tantalizing not to start him. I'm thinking he's improved his throwing a little simply through physical maturation/strength. Will be very interesting in fall camp, to be sure.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:08 am

utucats wrote:
I will take that bet!

Hating the griz since 02.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:01 pm

utucats wrote:
I'll take that donut and add 2! Murray won't be QB...which doesn't mean he won't at times QB.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:11 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:52 am
utucats wrote:
I'm with you here, been saying it since he was reinstated at school. His athleticism is too tantalizing not to start him. I'm thinking he's improved his throwing a little simply through physical maturation/strength. Will be very interesting in fall camp, to be sure.
Agreed. I’ll believe someone else is the QB when I see it.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:50 pm

I'll make it a bakers dozen from granny's he's not the starter.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:42 am

I will happily take that bet.
I don't see the coaches ever putting the team in that situation again, relying on Murray to stay eligible. Plus Choate has already said Chris won't take many snaps in Spring ball until they see his grades come in, which happens in May, after Spring ball is done.

He'll certainly be on the field, probably in the same role as Travis Jonsen last season. But it will be Rovig or Bauman under center.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:02 am

I’m just looking for either Murray or Rovig to have improved their game. If not, MSU will need to rely on its ground game and defense again. Right now one of the QBs needs to have vastly improved their passing ability. Rovig is slightly better throwing the ball, but he’s light years behind running it. He needs to be a 65% completions, 250 passing per game, 25-30 passing TDs, <10 interceptions. Murray needs to be around 60%, 175, 18-20, <10. In both cases those numbers are much better than what I’ve seen from either player.

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HiLineCat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:29 am

I don't care who the QB is or what their numbers are, the only number that matters is W's.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:02 am
I’m just looking for either Murray or Rovig to have improved their game. If not, MSU will need to rely on its ground game and defense again. Right now one of the QBs needs to have vastly improved their passing ability. Rovig is slightly better throwing the ball, but he’s light years behind running it. He needs to be a 65% completions, 250 passing per game, 25-30 passing TDs, <10 interceptions. Murray needs to be around 60%, 175, 18-20, <10. In both cases those numbers are much better than what I’ve seen from either player.
We really don't need the QB to run if he can throw accurately and distribute the ball. That's what I'm looking for next season, we need to be more multiple, we got locked into just running down people's throats, which is great when you can dominate your opponent like that, but as we saw last year if you don't dominate, a one dimensional running game isn't that hard to stop.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 am
iaafan wrote:
We really don't need the QB to run if he can throw accurately and distribute the ball. That's what I'm looking for next season, we need to be more multiple, we got locked into just running down people's throats, which is great when you can dominate your opponent like that, but as we saw last year if you don't dominate, a one dimensional running game isn't that hard to stop.
I agree. Absolutely. However, I’ve yet to see a QB on roster that I think can consistently accurately distribute the ball against quality competition. Murray can get away with being somewhat less accurate, because of his great running abilities. Rovig will need to be a top 5 Big Sky passer.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:26 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I agree. Absolutely. However, I’ve yet to see a QB on roster that I think can consistently accurately distribute the ball against quality competition. Murray can get away with being somewhat less accurate, because of his great running abilities. Rovig will need to be a top 5 Big Sky passer.
I think Rovig can be, he was starting to look pretty good after he got some confidence. Damn that broken foot. I hope he takes it to the next level, or somebody in the QB room steps up and takes the lead at least.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:20 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:26 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
I think Rovig can be, he was starting to look pretty good after he got some confidence. Damn that broken foot. I hope he takes it to the next level, or somebody in the QB room steps up and takes the lead at least.
Agree. I think he might be "The Dude". You can tell Choate is really high on him, which is good by me.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:52 pm

This is not meant to be a slight on Chris at all. By all accounts he's doing everything he can do to be a member of this team again. I have not heard otherwise from anyone and I applaud his efforts.

That said, if we enter this upcoming season and he's our starting signal caller I'll have serious concerns. Unless he has improved dramatically over the last year, if he wins this job over our guys on the roster I'll be very worried about this staffs ability to judge qb talent. CM is dynamic. He's a hell of an athlete. He can do things with his feet that single-handedly won us football games. But every move we've made is with the idea that this team is not satisfied with where we are and expects to go farther. CM at Q would go against all of that in my opinion.

To be clear, I'd LOVE for him to be on the field this season. I think he needs touches. I'm even fine with him behind center from time to time. But as our primary signal caller I'd say we have issues.

Just my uninformed opinion...

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:49 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:52 pm
This is not meant to be a slight on Chris at all. By all accounts he's doing everything he can do to be a member of this team again. I have not heard otherwise from anyone and I applaud his efforts.

That said, if we enter this upcoming season and he's our starting signal caller I'll have serious concerns. Unless he has improved dramatically over the last year, if he wins this job over our guys on the roster I'll be very worried about this staffs ability to judge qb talent. CM is dynamic. He's a hell of an athlete. He can do things with his feet that single-handedly won us football games. But every move we've made is with the idea that this team is not satisfied with where we are and expects to go farther. CM at Q would go against all of that in my opinion.

To be clear, I'd LOVE for him to be on the field this season. I think he needs touches. I'm even fine with him behind center from time to time. But as our primary signal caller I'd say we have issues.

I think you’re right. It’d be ideal if Rovig has stepped up his game and can be an elite Big Sky QB. Also seems like he’s more likely to achieve that than Murray. I just think that the chances of Murray upping his throwing ability to the level I described above is just as possible as Rovig getting to the level I described above for him. I’m glad there are two chances.

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:14 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:49 am
ilovethecats wrote:

I think you’re right. It’d be ideal if Rovig has stepped up his game and can be an elite Big Sky QB. Also seems like he’s more likely to achieve that than Murray. I just think that the chances of Murray upping his throwing ability to the level I described above is just as possible as Rovig getting to the level I described above for him. I’m glad there are two chances.
I disagree with this completely. From what I have seen of Rovig I cannot imagine him being a better option than a healthy Chris Murry. And nothing against him, he is certainly a fine athlete. CM is a legit duel threat, his ability to throw the ball has gotten better and there is no reason to believe that he cannot develop that ability even further. He is still so young. I just don't see Bauman or Rovig ever being a duel threat which imho has a better chance of sustained success than the pro style at the FCS level.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am

seataccat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:14 am

I disagree with this completely. From what I have seen of Rovig I cannot imagine him being a better option than a healthy Chris Murry. And nothing against him, he is certainly a fine athlete. CM is a legit duel threat, his ability to throw the ball has gotten better and there is no reason to believe that he cannot develop that ability even further. He is still so young. I just don't see Bauman or Rovig ever being a duel threat which imho has a better chance of sustained success than the pro style at the FCS level.
How has he been able to do this without playing last year and not participating in spring ball?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am
seataccat wrote:

How has he been able to do this without playing last year and not participating in spring ball?
Another year of maturity. Do you have any idea what he has done with his time away? Do you think that a 19yo athlete cannot step back into his routine and within a short amount of time pick up where he left off? The backup QB is always the best player on the team but it is generally just a fallacy.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:39 am

seataccat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:49 am
ilovethecats wrote:

Couple thoughts

A. We can't assume Chris Murray will be eligible. I think he still has a ways to go.
B. Much of the decision for Choate and Matt Miller will be based as much on trust as talent. Who does the team trust, who do the coaches trust.
C. If Chris is eligible and Tucker looks good. I would bet that both QB's play significant minutes based on the gameplan. Especially early in the year.
D. I don't know much about Baumann or Beltran, so if one of them emerges as the clear cut star, thoughts A-C may not matter.