QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by iaafan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:08 pm

I heard Troy and Amandre took QB snaps. Wildcat.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:18 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:03 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:50 pm
Anyone make it to practice today? I got tied up. Curious if there was anything of note?
Only 30 minutes open for public.
They didn’t ask us to leave after the first 30.

I was there from about 11 to maybe around noon. Lots of good 11 on 11 stuff.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:26 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:18 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Anyone make it to practice today? I got tied up. Curious if there was anything of note?

Ya I assumed that 30 minute stuff was mainly for media? I don't know but I wasn't asked to leave after 30 minutes the last two days.

The energy so far this week has been fantastic.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:35 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:08 pm
Interesting........with TA, Jonsen & Kassis available to perform Wildcat duties, I wasn't expecting Amandre to be in the mix as well. I do seem to recall that shortly after Amandre transfered to MSU, coach Choate said he thought he might be used on some offensive sets. I just didn't think it'd be at QB since we have quite a few other options.

So who all do we think will get snaps this year at QB;

Rovig, Bauman, Andersen, Jonsen, Kassis???, Williams???, Beltran???....anyone I missed?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Such an interesting offense. I don't think having another QB take a snap is going to be a gimmick, we are going to do it a fair amount. And all of them can run and all of them can "throw". Andersen the home run threat, Jonsen the speed guy who can also break one, Kassis is elusive and can throw a TD, Williams can throw for sure but he will be the bruiser of the bunch at 250.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:42 pm

I think they'll show just enough of that to keep defensive coaches busy a few extra hours a week trying to prepare for what may or may not come. That has to make a difference at some point.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:43 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:35 pm
iaafan wrote:
Interesting........with TA, Jonsen & Kassis available to perform Wildcat duties, I wasn't expecting Amandre to be in the mix as well. I do seem to recall that shortly after Amandre transfered to MSU, coach Choate said he thought he might be used on some offensive sets. I just didn't think it'd be at QB since we have quite a few other options.

Rovig, Bauman, Andersen, Jonsen, Kassis???, Williams???, Beltran???....anyone I missed?
The Day 4 review on the website mentioned that today was going to be a lot of Red Zone stuff and that TA and Williams would be taking snaps in Goal Line situations. Maybe the guys who were at practice can confirm if this was the case?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:51 pm

In RZ situations, if you can get the defense to heaitate, or go the wrong way, it can result in easy TD's.

If you can have a 230 LB and 250 DE, that are both quite athletic and have played QB before, that's one hell of a RZ package. Run a dive with a jet option to Logan Jones, easy TD.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:59 pm

Williams brings a passing option. And a solid one at that. This offense can end up being a nightmare to prepare for.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:12 pm

I am all for letting the runners take snaps at QB, however we might want to curb our expectations for these guys. Many, myself included, thought that Jonsen was going to be a dual threat with passing chops along the same lines as Murray. It became obvious pretty quickly that that wasn't the case at all.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:13 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I wonder if Amandre will have the role they were hoping to have in Natee? As Natee was 6'1 260 and an ex-QB. That goal-line set was damn near unstoppable prior to Big Bacon's injury.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:15 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:13 pm
The MICKSTER wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I wonder if Amandre will have the role they were hoping to have in Natee? That goal-line set was damn near unstoppable prior to Big Bacon's injury.
I don’t know, but I doubt it. He can probably do that, but he’s more Tim Tebow, than Fridge Perry.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:21 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:42 pm
I think they'll show just enough of that to keep defensive coaches busy a few extra hours a week trying to prepare for what may or may not come. That has to make a difference at some point.
I always wonder how true this is.

Clearly our opponents last year never prepared for the Jonsen play where he fakes the jet sweep handoff and runs right up the middle. I think he only actually handed the ball off a couple times and wasn't really ever stopped for a loss. Teams were never ready for it out even though it was his only play at QB. It became so predictable that every game I would wait for it to happen. I think one of the teams at the end of the season figured it out but that was 10+ games into the season.

With so many versatile players available to take snaps we're either going to be really annoying for teams to prepare for or they're going to get burned big time.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:23 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:15 pm
RobertCats wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I wonder if Amandre will have the role they were hoping to have in Natee? That goal-line set was damn near unstoppable prior to Big Bacon's injury.
I don’t know, but I doubt it. He can probably do that, but he’s more Tim Tebow, than Fridge Perry.
I'm ok with having a Tim Tebow-esque player as our 4th? option at QB.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:30 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:23 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:15 pm
RobertCats wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
iaafan wrote:

I'm ok with having a Tim Tebow-esque player as our 4th? option at QB.
Andersen has speed and power. Williams has finesse and power. I can see Williams passing and running on the goal line.

toM StUber

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Exhibit A on managing expectations:

Comparing Amandre Williams to Tim Tebow.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:32 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:26 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Ya I assumed that 30 minute stuff was mainly for media? I don't know but I wasn't asked to leave after 30 minutes the last two days.

Yeah, I think so, but it was held in the stadium, and my understanding was that the previous practice held in the stadium they ushered people out (difference there between media access and public is small since everything is in plain view).

I agree about the energy. There is certainly a sense of a high standard that you get out there.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:52 pm

iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:32 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Yeah, I think so, but it was held in the stadium, and my understanding was that the previous practice held in the stadium they ushered people out (difference there between media access and public is small since everything is in plain view).

I agree about the energy. There is certainly a sense of a high standard that you get out there.
The 30 minutes was just the press. There was a bunch of us members of the public there for the whole practice. Same as Sunday.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:47 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:52 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:32 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

The 30 minutes was just the press. There was a bunch of us members of the public there for the whole practice. Same as Sunday.
Oh. I missed Sunday and was told that the public had been ushered out of the stadium. Must have just been press from the field (?)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:02 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:37 pm
Exhibit A on managing expectations:

Comparing Amandre Williams to Tim Tebow.
No, someone compared Williams to Natee. I stated he’s more Tim Tebow than Fridge Perry, who would be the Natee, as a relative reference point. Not that he’s equal to Tim Tebow. I could’ve used some obscure players for that, but feared the point would be lost. So, no expectation that Williams is the second coming (some Tebow humor there) of Tim Tebow.

toM StUber