QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 pm

Yep, in addition to several players on the roster that were star QB's in high school but were recruited to likely play other positions, I think this list of players were actutally recruited to be the next "guy", like TL, DM, DP.

Bruggman
Jonsen
Rovig
Bauman
Beltran
Knight
Thelen (Maybe? I know he was told he can come in and compete at QB)
Andersen - I don't he was intended to be QB at MSU, not sure

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:08 am

Just to prove that QBs can, and do get better.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:25 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:08 am
Just to prove that QBs can, and do get better.

Yeah, but he plays at VMI, so that’s different. Our quarterback can only be good if he’s good in his first game.

Kind of like on Stripes when they were talking about Czechoslovakia.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:56 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:42 pm
Didnt want to really bump this thread, but again kinda did in the drive for 100 pages!

Question, and I'll probably catch crap for asking it, but Choate's recruiting philosophy has been to recruit QBs, as they're often the best athletes on the field. Is he or the staff ACTUALLY recruiting quarterbacks, or is it just a hunt for great athletes? I ask seriously, not to be a smart alec, but for having struggled so mightily for 4 years finding "the guy" at QB, it seems more we recruit 20 QBs, throw them all in a room and try to figure out which one of them is closest to being a D1 quarterback, rather than trying to recruit "the guy" who's GOING to be our QB. Kassis? Nope, receiver. Jonsen? Nope, receiver. O'Reilly? Nope. Andersen? (kinda, but nope), LB. I can go on. Has he recruited a guy and went "he's our next QB"?
99% weren't recruited to play QB though. Jonsen and maybe O'Reilly signed as QB's and got moved.
O'Reilly was recruited to play QB first with the thought that he'd move to LB if he didn't cut it. Same with Luke May except his secondary position was safety.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:58 pm

I think there’s a lot of confused fans out there. Choate says he likes to recruit quarterbacks. Some fans think he’s recruiting them to actually play QB. He recruits them because they’re usually good athletes that can play other positions. But people think he’s recruiting them to play QB and that he’s therefore failing miserably to find a QB.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:03 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:58 pm
I think there’s a lot of confused fans out there. Choate says he likes to recruit quarterbacks. Some fans think he’s recruiting them to actually play QB. He recruits them because they’re usually good athletes that can play other positions. But people think he’s recruiting them to play QB and that he’s therefore failing miserably to find a QB.
Exactly! Choate is a master at finding QBs and turning them into LBs and RB/WRs.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:05 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
I don't think most fans here are confused. We understand that he recruits QBs as generic ATHs (get them in the door and figure out where to put them). The problem has been the QBs that actually play QB. Without looking at the stats since Choate arrived, I doubt we've been in the top half of the conference in passing in any year. Far from it most likely. We've had our share of bad breaks (literally in some cases) at the position and the guys on the depth chart are young this year, but many of us just wish there was more there by now. This is largely because it seems to be the only non-strength (I wouldn't call it a weakness as neither guy has lost us any games) position on the team.

Edit: I'll add that I think most people here would feel much better about the position if the site was locked for 24 hours starting at opening kickoff of every game. :)

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:30 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:05 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
I don't think most fans here are confused. We understand that he recruits QBs as generic ATHs (get them in the door and figure out where to put them). The problem has been the QBs that actually play QB. Without looking at the stats since Choate arrived, I doubt we've been in the top half of the conference in passing in any year. Far from it most likely. We've had our share of bad breaks (literally in some cases) at the position and the guys on the depth chart are young this year, but many of us just wish there was more there by now. This is largely because it seems to be the only non-strength (I wouldn't call it a weakness as neither guy has lost us any games) position on the team.

Edit: I'll add that I think most people here would feel much better about the position if the site was locked for 24 hours starting at opening kickoff of every game. :)
That was my point exactly. Staff is doing a good job of recruiting QBs as athletes and turning them into other projects. I'm just asking how much attention is going into actually recruiting QBs to be QBs. Or do we just recruit as many as we can and the best of the lot takes the snaps?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:37 pm

I'm pretty sure they don't spend much time at all. Probably just pick a couple names from a hat. :shrug:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:39 pm

They’re having some bad luck and have had to go back to square one three times. It has slowed down the improvement curve, but they’ve also built strengths that are hard to develop. They know what a good QB looks like. It’s just a matter of time.

The offensive line is second to none and a very good defensive line. When you get into big games like this weekend, that’s when those areas really get leaned on and shine.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:48 pm

Prukop was a below average passer who couldn't win games despite putting up record breaking numbers for two full seasons (in the other thread). But Bruggeman, Murray, Bruggeman, Murray, Andersen, Rovig, Andersen, Bauman, Rovig, Josen, Kassis Andersen in 3+ seasons.....is just bad luck that'll straighten itself out if given time?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:54 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:30 pm
coloradocat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

That was my point exactly. Staff is doing a good job of recruiting QBs as athletes and turning them into other projects. I'm just asking how much attention is going into actually recruiting QBs to be QBs. Or do we just recruit as many as we can and the best of the lot takes the snaps?
Yep, I think the list I provided above represents the QBs that they recruited to actually come in and compete to be THE GUY. Everyone else as ATH to be moved elsewhere.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:54 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:54 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:30 pm
coloradocat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yep, I think the list I provided above represents the QBs that they recruited to actually come in and compete to be THE GUY. Everyone else as ATH to be moved elsewhere. VIM could probably amend my list wherever I'm off.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:56 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:48 pm
Prukop was a below average passer who couldn't win games despite putting up record breaking numbers for two full seasons (in the other thread). But Bruggeman, Murray, Bruggeman, Murray, Andersen, Rovig, Andersen, Bauman, Rovig, Josen, Kassis Andersen in 3+ seasons.....is just bad luck that'll straighten itself out if given time?
No, being the coach of two QBs that have broken their foot, another who broke his hand, another who failed academically, and one who transferred to Oregon and one who was lights out in practice, but failed in games in the span of less than four years is pretty bad luck.

toM StUber

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:06 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
I highly doubt that's the reason people think Choate is failing miserably to find a QB. I think it has a lot more to do with the production (or lack thereof) from the passing game so far with Choate.

EDIT: This is not to say I've given up on Rovig. Heck, Prukop was not ready as a freshman either, so I'm not ready to give up on Bauman permanently. I'm just saying that I don't think anyone is criticizing Choate's ability to find QBs because guys like Kevin Kassis and Brayden Konkol aren't 3000 yard passers.
Last edited by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:09 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:06 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
I highly doubt that's the reason people think Choate is failing miserably to find a QB. I think it has a lot more to do with the production (or lack thereof) from the passing game so far with Choate.
Are you sure? Based on what I’ve read on various subjects on here, I’m not.

toM StUber

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:13 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:09 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Are you sure?
Did I say I was?

That said, all of the criticisms I've read on here are related to either the performance of the guys who have actually played QB for the Bobcats, or to the absence of any player who has the qualities they want in a quarterback.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:17 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:13 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Are you sure?
Did I say I was?

That said, all of the criticisms I've read on here are related to either the performance of the guys who have actually played QB for the Bobcats, or to the absence of any player who has the qualities they want in a quarterback.
Well, I assume you’re aware Prukop was an average quarterback. Among other things.

toM StUber

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:29 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:17 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Are you sure?
Did I say I was?

Well, I assume you’re aware Prukop was an average quarterback. Among other things.
I'm aware that he is not as universally beloved as Lulay and McGhee, if that's what you're saying.

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:37 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:29 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:17 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Are you sure?
Did I say I was?

I'm aware that he is not as universally beloved as Lulay and McGhee, if that's what you're saying.
His passing skills were average, according to posters here on Bobcat Nation.

toM StUber