South gym roof collapse

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: South gym roof collapse

Post by 3-7-77 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:11 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:14 pm

MSU's buildings can kill you quicker than UM's I guess: https://www.kulr8.com/news/high-levels- ... be57f.html
Read your article. Only had one or two classes in the building over the years. Maybe I can get some bucks for the cough I've developed lately. What is really upsetting, after I found out what the old building name was (Women's Center), is that this place housed a day care at least since 1970.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:41 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:14 pm
3-7-77 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:03 pm
I thought MSU was an Engineering School, as well as Architectural School. I know Bozeman is a relatively heavy snow area. :-k Are both schools fully accredited? Just joking.
Looks like whomever was the Architect and whomever did the Engineering have a lot to answer for in the coming months.
Freaky winter, no chinooks for the past month. Go figure, with Bozeman on the EASTSLOPES of the Rocky Mountains, no EASTSLOPE chinook winds(emphasis for those on the school board, and outlanders).
MSU's buildings can kill you quicker than UM's I guess: https://www.kulr8.com/news/high-levels- ... be57f.html

I doubt the engineers and architects of record (who may or may not have been MSU grads) are still practicing. I guess we'll find out eventually.

What a mess.
So....What's the actual score?
How many died in that accident?

msufaithful
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by msufaithful » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:54 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:23 pm
Amen that it happened at 2 AM! My son plays Bball in there quite often. He, his fellow students, staff and the school are EXTREMELEY FORTUNATE!

I know it's been there for a long long time. If it has been there since 1973 that's ~46 years, it may be that it isn't a design or construction issue but rather a maintenance/inspection issue. It could simply have been a fluke as well. Although there is a hell of a lot of snow in Bozeman, I'm guessing over the years there has been more at times. The cause is something that most likely will be able to be determined I believe. I wish them luck in their investigation and whatever protocols that come of this that will prevent these kind of things from happening in the future.
second that AMEN!! FEELING EXTREMELEY FORTUNATE! football team was in there last Saturday practicing.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:58 am

msufaithful wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:54 am
The MICKSTER wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:23 pm
Amen that it happened at 2 AM! My son plays Bball in there quite often. He, his fellow students, staff and the school are EXTREMELEY FORTUNATE!

I know it's been there for a long long time. If it has been there since 1973 that's ~46 years, it may be that it isn't a design or construction issue but rather a maintenance/inspection issue. It could simply have been a fluke as well. Although there is a hell of a lot of snow in Bozeman, I'm guessing over the years there has been more at times. The cause is something that most likely will be able to be determined I believe. I wish them luck in their investigation and whatever protocols that come of this that will prevent these kind of things from happening in the future.
second that AMEN!! FEELING EXTREMELEY FORTUNATE! football team was in there last Saturday practicing.
Seriously? Jesus, can you imagine if this would have killed a bunch of football players or any students for that matter.......

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:14 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:03 pm
I thought MSU was an Engineering School, as well as Architectural School. I know Bozeman is a relatively heavy snow area. :-k Are both schools fully accredited? Just joking.
Looks like whomever was the Architect and whomever did the Engineering have a lot to answer for in the coming months.
Freaky winter, no chinooks for the past month. Go figure, with Bozeman on the EASTSLOPES of the Rocky Mountains, no EASTSLOPE chinook winds(emphasis for those on the school board, and outlanders).
So many Architects and Engineers design to the minimum allowed by code, mainly due to budget. Recently the building codes increased the design requirements for snow loads. So any buildings designed and constructed before that code change should be reviewed.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:41 pm

MSU now worried about North Gym...Knock them both down and build indoor practice facility...

Team10

Post by Team10 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:12 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:41 pm
MSU now worried about North Gym...Knock them both down and build indoor practice facility...
If only the north and south gyms weren't separated by indoor tennis courts, and racquetball courts, I'd say bulldoze it all and put up a big indoor facility.

5yearfreshman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 5yearfreshman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:30 pm

North, South and tennis courts are all the same construction. No way it will meet new seismic codes. It was a cheep, poorly designed building from the start and a bulldozer is the best solution. I would bet money all the 1973 construction comes down.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:37 pm

The measured snow depth at the two closest stations (MSU and Bozeman 1.5 SSE) was 31.0 inches and 29.0 inches at the latest readings before the collapse. That's a lot more snow than Bozeman has had on the ground for a long time. The maximum snow depth measured during last year's snowy winter was about 19 inches. On Monday the snow water equivalent at Bozeman 1.5 SSE was measured at 5.24 inches. That's a lot of weight, but not beyond what the building should have been designed for.

Due to the lack of Chinooks and recent very cold temperatures and heavy snowfall, it makes one wonder if the drains were properly removing any melt water. If the drains were frozen, the water load could have been greater.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Would I be wrong to assume that there should be some insurance money involved in replacing the lost facilities. I know some have mentioned that we should be making lemonade from this incident. (Thank God, no one was hurt)

Use the raised money and the insurance money to make MSU students and athletes better served by useful facilities.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:30 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:44 pm
Would I be wrong to assume that there should be some insurance money involved in replacing the lost facilities. I know some have mentioned that we should be making lemonade from this incident. (Thank God, no one was hurt)

Use the raised money and the insurance money to make MSU students and athletes better served by useful facilities.
It would be really cool to have an indoor turf gym.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:55 pm

On the 22nd of February there was a magnitude 3.8 earthquake centered near Manhattan. I read that it was felt by many in Bozeman? Did anyone here feel it? I know that's a small quake, but maybe not to a building that was on edge anyway. There have been some aftershocks as well.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:38 pm

You make two good points. Earthquake activity in the greater Yellowstone area. Huh. Go figure. Maybe it pushed this building beyond its tolerances,given the heavy snow. Which brings me to a question, and honest question, about snow removal from flat roofs. Is it done routinely? Wbtfg made a cryptic reference about the new high school having a flat roof. I realize this years snowfall is an outlier value, but are roofs cleared of snow? More than one structure with a flat roof in danger of collapse, statewide. My neighbor, who doesn't shovel her sidewalk, had her roof shoveled.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:31 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:38 pm
You make two good points. Earthquake activity in the greater Yellowstone area. Huh. Go figure. Maybe it pushed this building beyond its tolerances,given the heavy snow. Which brings me to a question, and honest question, about snow removal from flat roofs. Is it done routinely? Wbtfg made a cryptic reference about the new high school having a flat roof. I realize this years snowfall is an outlier value, but are roofs cleared of snow? More than one structure with a flat roof in danger of collapse, statewide. My neighbor, who doesn't shovel her sidewalk, had her roof shoveled.

My brother is an architect and has made the case that flat roofs can carry the load if they are constructed properly and have adequate drainage. As mentioned above, it is possible that the older construction from 73 was not adequate for this kind of situation. It likely has to do with how her house was constructed, how it drains liquid, and was it built according to best code.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 am

According to KULR-TV, MSU told them the design snowload for roofs is a minimum of 30 lbs. per square foot. The measured snow water equivalent at the Bozeman 1.5 SSE station (not much more than a mile away and at nearly the same elevation) on March 1 was 5.24 inches. A quick calculation yields a load of 27.26 lbs. per square foot. That's pretty close to the limit.

St George

Post by St George » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:37 am

Table 2.2: Output from Snow Load Finder-Belgrade

Station Type Lat Long Elev Snow Load
Bozeman 6 W Exp. Farm NWS 45.67 -111.16 4775 29.8
Bozeman MSU NWS 45.66 -111.05 4913 42.3
Belgrade Airport NWS 45.79 -111.15 4427 33.3
point of interest na 45.74 -111.13 4541 31.5

Snow Loads for Structural Design in Montana (Revised 2004)

bertram
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bertram » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:29 pm

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:23 pm

bertram wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:29 pm
This is awesome.

Mountains, Minds and Open Gyms!

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Went to the Wilson School Gym in Bozeman this morning for some YMCA basketball action. I was blown away the gym that was built in 36'-37'(someone correct me if I'm wrong) has a slightly curved roof(positive drainage) , extremely beefy steel truss's, solid concrete walls with windows, has lasted longer than a flat roof building, weird. Why over time did construction get away from the common sense approach and go to the cost savings only approach?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:37 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:33 pm
Went to the Wilson School Gym in Bozeman this morning for some YMCA basketball action. I was blown away the gym that was built in 36'-37'(someone correct me if I'm wrong) has a slightly curved roof(positive drainage) , extremely beefy steel truss's, solid concrete walls with windows, has lasted longer than a flat roof building, weird. Why over time did construction get away from the common sense approach and go to the cost savings only approach?
I think you just answered your own question. The reason is money.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter