Mike Person

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: kmax, SonomaCat, rtb

Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Mike Person

Post by Cataholic » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:11 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:53 pm
Z_RustyDuck wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:59 pm
One last high note to cap off Mike's terrific season... He was awarded the Bobb Mckittrick Award,issued to the 49ers offensive lineman who best represents the courage, intensity and sacrifice. (I) As a teammate of Mike's in Glendive on the baseball diamond, gridiron, or track and field arena, he would not be outworked or outdone by anyone and always found a way to persevere.

What a great representative to the State of Montana and OUR Montana State University!

https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-2019-t ... er-mostert
So AWESOME!!! Mckittrick was quite a gentleman. To be honored with his award is, well, a distinct honor.
What adds even more distinction is that the award is voted on by his teammates. Very impressive.



77matcat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2507
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Mike Person

Post by 77matcat » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:50 pm

Wow.

Very cool.



User avatar
LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 5178
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Lewistown, MT

Re: Mike Person

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:10 pm

I'm not exactly sure how it works because I believe he still has 1 year on his contract but I read something today talking about SF may want to release him to save cap space???



BleedingBLue
Member # Retired
Posts: 2993
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Mike Person

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:32 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:10 pm
I'm not exactly sure how it works because I believe he still has 1 year on his contract but I read something today talking about SF may want to release him to save cap space???
This is probably the thing I hate the most about the NFL (there are a lot of things but this tops my list). Their "contracts" are a joke, and for the most part protect the organization and not the player. Most of the guaranteed money in contracts comes on the front end, or in signing bonuses. By the time a guy gets to the last year or 2 of his deal, there is nothing to prevent the team from cutting a guy loose and having almost no financial repercussions. Some contracts still have a small cap hit, but most of them are for the highest paid guys. I would guess cutting Mike would cost the 49ers nothing financially.



User avatar
RickRund
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4599
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Mike Person

Post by RickRund » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:54 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:10 pm
I'm not exactly sure how it works because I believe he still has 1 year on his contract but I read something today talking about SF may want to release him to save cap space???
Hello RAMS... Are you listening?



sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:40 pm

Re: Mike Person

Post by sdsyvie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:46 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:32 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:10 pm
I'm not exactly sure how it works because I believe he still has 1 year on his contract but I read something today talking about SF may want to release him to save cap space???
This is probably the thing I hate the most about the NFL (there are a lot of things but this tops my list). Their "contracts" are a joke, and for the most part protect the organization and not the player. Most of the guaranteed money in contracts comes on the front end, or in signing bonuses. By the time a guy gets to the last year or 2 of his deal, there is nothing to prevent the team from cutting a guy loose and having almost no financial repercussions. Some contracts still have a small cap hit, but most of them are for the highest paid guys. I would guess cutting Mike would cost the 49ers nothing financially.
Couldn't this theoretically be a good thing for mike, new salary, with guaranteed money and up front dollars. Obviously risk of him not getting signed, but possibly good



BleedingBLue
Member # Retired
Posts: 2993
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Mike Person

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:40 pm

sdsyvie wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:46 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:32 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:10 pm
I'm not exactly sure how it works because I believe he still has 1 year on his contract but I read something today talking about SF may want to release him to save cap space???
This is probably the thing I hate the most about the NFL (there are a lot of things but this tops my list). Their "contracts" are a joke, and for the most part protect the organization and not the player. Most of the guaranteed money in contracts comes on the front end, or in signing bonuses. By the time a guy gets to the last year or 2 of his deal, there is nothing to prevent the team from cutting a guy loose and having almost no financial repercussions. Some contracts still have a small cap hit, but most of them are for the highest paid guys. I would guess cutting Mike would cost the 49ers nothing financially.
Couldn't this theoretically be a good thing for mike, new salary, with guaranteed money and up front dollars. Obviously risk of him not getting signed, but possibly good
Most definitely. I was actually going to add that to my post but didnt. The Niners could save money but lose a great lineman to another team in the process. I just think the "contracts" in the NFL are total crap.



User avatar
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired
Posts: 2552
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm
Location: Back in the US, but not home

Re: Mike Person

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:55 pm

Pittsburgh needs a new left guard. I'd be stoked to see Person in Black & Gold!


"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9412
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Mike Person

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:59 pm

I've read two 49er sites on Mike and the salary cap. They say the opposite of each other.


"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

User avatar
PapaG
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6476
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:44 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Mike Person

Post by PapaG » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:03 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:55 pm
Pittsburgh needs a new left guard. I'd be stoked to see Person in Black & Gold!
He’s best at right guard.


Greg K.

User avatar
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired
Posts: 2552
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm
Location: Back in the US, but not home

Re: Mike Person

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:03 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:55 pm
Pittsburgh needs a new left guard. I'd be stoked to see Person in Black & Gold!
He’s best at right guard.
Agree to disagree. IMO he does his best work in space, pulling or blocking on the second level. The LG has more opportunities to do that than the RG.


"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

User avatar
Hawks86
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9412
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: MT

Re: Mike Person

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:33 am



"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Image

superbobcat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Mike Person

Post by superbobcat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:46 am

Welcome to the business and here is a good punch in the teeth. I kind of saw this coming. Hopefully after the draft he will be picked up.



User avatar
WeedKillinCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1922
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:19 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Mike Person

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Maybe my hapless Lions will pick him up. They need help on the o-line as usual....


1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

FTG247365
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: Mike Person

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:36 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:33 am
This was a surprise, "Thanks for kicking A$$ and helping getting us to the Superbowl..... there's the door". I guess its just part of the business, maybe he'll end up making more on another team. Watch he gets picked up by KC.



BleedingBLue
Member # Retired
Posts: 2993
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Mike Person

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:36 pm

There are a large number of teams looking for o line help. He will have no shortage of suitors.



User avatar
mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4427
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: Mike Person

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:36 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:33 am
This was a surprise, "Thanks for kicking A$$ and helping getting us to the Superbowl..... there's the door". I guess its just part of the business, maybe he'll end up making more on another team. Watch he gets picked up by KC.
no kidding! I realize that this is just how the NFL operates.... but man, he grades out as one of the best OL in the league, and his reward is getting cut. ha.


FTG- GO CATS GO!

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Re: Mike Person

Post by autocat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:54 pm

Was it this past year or the year before when Person was grading as the best guard in the NFL on a regular basis?

Don't think he'll be free agent for very long, he might been happy to get out of Marin County!



profisme
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:05 pm
Location: Bozeman, MT
Contact:

Re: Mike Person

Post by profisme » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:17 am

Would like to see him in a Bears uniform.


-Elias P. Harmon-

User avatar
luckyirishguy25
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3695
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Mike Person

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:19 pm

Green Bay should be all over Mike, he's exactly what they need right now and he's a huge value compared to grabbing an expensive untested draft pick.



Post Reply