Facilities - Coach Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MTCat75
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by MTCat75 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:56 am

Long time booster and season ticket holder here. Also a little old school. Build it nice and fancy with all the bells and whistles. Not a problem with me as long as it is donated money.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:30 am
catbooster wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:07 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:20 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:08 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:51 am
Just saying, our locker room will look this good next year.
IF you want to KILL giving to the new stadium, then just build one of these locker rooms! :coffee:
I was thinking the same thing. I've had season passes for decades, tailgate, etc. but I wouldn't support something this extravagant despite being a die-hard fan.

I never played at the college level, and I'm from an older generation, but is there any practical purpose for a locker room like that other than trying to impress impressionable young men in recruiting wars?
These last two posts are exactly why we can't have nice things at MSU.
:lol: :lol: :lol: !

If you can't see the difference between quality and bling then you might be the problem. Quality lasts and has the capacity to transcend trends. This locker room looks like a game room for a video game lounge not a place to bond as a team, sweat and communicate and build community. It's bells and whistles... and while I appreciate a "Cool factor", that speaks glam!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Anyone have pictures of our current (Choate era) locker room?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:15 pm

If you can afford it why not the bling? You might pick up some top players. FCS teams are not usually in this financial bracket, so I can't see why or how an FCS school would have one like that. Maybe NDSU with the oil money they get.

2024 Resume dominance

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:25 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:52 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:40 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:25 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:52 pm
You can really see the difference between the locker rooms. Ours has character while the other one is just flashy soullessness.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:42 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:26 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
catbooster wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
IF you want to KILL giving to the new stadium, then just build one of these locker rooms! :coffee:
I was thinking the same thing. I've had season passes for decades, tailgate, etc. but I wouldn't support something this extravagant despite being a die-hard fan.

I never played at the college level, and I'm from an older generation, but is there any practical purpose for a locker room like that other than trying to impress impressionable young men in recruiting wars?

If you can't see the difference between quality and bling then you might be the problem. Quality lasts and has the capacity to transcend trends. This locker room looks like a game room for a video game lounge not a place to bond as a team, sweat and communicate and build community. It's bells and whistles... and while I appreciate a "Cool factor", that speaks glam!
Fortunately for us, MSU is not in a position where facilities like that are an expectation. If you're not getting those kinds of upgrades in the SEC, you're not getting the recruits that are looking for something that says "we can't pay you, but we'll give you just as much as we can". If all else is equal (game day experience, coaching, academic opportunities, etc), there has to be a tiebreaker. That's the arms race in the Power 5 conferences, and I'm sure there are plenty of crotchety old donors there who hate it, but somebody is paying for it. The arms race in the BSC is not as far along, but we're paying for things we never would have paid for 20 years ago. Now we're trying for better facilities that we as fans will never benefit from directly because we understand that some of those things directly impact the product on the field and some are for recruiting.

But someday things like fancy locker rooms will be the expectation, and we'll lose a few recruits to another school who has the same as MSU but also offers the best locker room in the BSC. Whoever is the coach at that time will come to us and say "we can't keep up on the field if we can't get these players, and this is what these players want". We'll pony up whatever we can to do whatever it takes to stay competitive. Some won't, and that'll be fine. But the current locker room will be upgraded (not like LSU's) and we'll pay for it somehow, whether it's through tickets, taxes, contributions, or a big capital push.

You can say until you're blue in the face that it shouldn't matter what the locker rooms are like or what the uniforms are like or what hotel the team stays in, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:49 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:42 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:26 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
catbooster wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

Fortunately for us, MSU is not in a position where facilities like that are an expectation. If you're not getting those kinds of upgrades in the SEC, you're not getting the recruits that are looking for something that says "we can't pay you, but we'll give you just as much as we can". If all else is equal (game day experience, coaching, academic opportunities, etc), there has to be a tiebreaker. That's the arms race in the Power 5 conferences, and I'm sure there are plenty of crotchety old donors there who hate it, but somebody is paying for it. The arms race in the BSC is not as far along, but we're paying for things we never would have paid for 20 years ago. Now we're trying for better facilities that we as fans will never benefit from directly because we understand that some of those things directly impact the product on the field and some are for recruiting.

But someday things like fancy locker rooms will be the expectation, and we'll lose a few recruits to another school who has the same as MSU but also offers the best locker room in the BSC. Whoever is the coach at that time will come to us and say "we can't keep up on the field if we can't get these players, and this is what these players want". We'll pony up whatever we can to do whatever it takes to stay competitive. Some won't, and that'll be fine. But the current locker room will be upgraded (not like LSU's) and we'll pay for it somehow, whether it's through tickets, taxes, contributions, or a big capital push.

You can say until you're blue in the face that it shouldn't matter what the locker rooms are like or what the uniforms are like or what hotel the team stays in, but that ship sailed a long time ago.
Here is a rendering of the locker room in the new football facility.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:37 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:48 am
FTG247365 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:08 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Looks like it was designed by someone playing Minecraft. IMO seems like a locker room is still a locker room, at what point is it a waste of money? I get it's a selling point for recruits, but if your only getting recruits based on what a locker room looks like, then maybe their priorities are messed up. I would think the stadium, game day atmosphere, fans, school, career after school, etc. would out weigh a locker room. But then again I'm not 18 either.
It reminds me of a new modern bowling alley. :) You can still have a nice locker room but that is just overkill.
Agree, it might seem cool now to a few, then in ten years that fad will pass. Will a locker room turn them from a 3 star to a 5 star player?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:48 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:37 pm
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Looks like it was designed by someone playing Minecraft. IMO seems like a locker room is still a locker room, at what point is it a waste of money? I get it's a selling point for recruits, but if your only getting recruits based on what a locker room looks like, then maybe their priorities are messed up. I would think the stadium, game day atmosphere, fans, school, career after school, etc. would out weigh a locker room. But then again I'm not 18 either.
It reminds me of a new modern bowling alley. :) You can still have a nice locker room but that is just overkill.
Agree, it might seem cool now to a few, then in ten years that fad will pass. Will a locker room turn them from a 3 star to a 5 star player?
No, but it might sway the 5 stars to play there. As for being a fad, sorry but this is here to stay. Not saying the flavor of the year, hot buttons, etc. won't change as times change but state of the art, contemporary setups like this aren't going anywhere. In fact I'd say they'll get more extravagant, probably end up with virtual reality connected gaming systems at each station for players to go up against each other, or re play the games in simulations where they correct mistakes, etc.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Brad_CAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Brad_CAT » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:18 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:48 pm
FTG247365 wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
No, but it might sway the 5 stars to play there. As for being a fad, sorry but this is here to stay. Not saying the flavor of the year, hot buttons, etc. won't change as times change but state of the art, contemporary setups like this aren't going anywhere. In fact I'd say they'll get more extravagant, probably end up with virtual reality connected gaming systems at each station for players to go up against each other, or re play the games in simulations where they correct mistakes, etc.
Imagine this but instead of Purple and Yellow, think Blue and Gold in the new BAC.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:31 pm

Brad_CAT wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:18 pm
catatac wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Imagine this but instead of Purple and Yellow, think Blue and Gold in the new BAC.
I knew you were going to come here and say that. Just wondering when.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:07 am

Have they started the east-side repair/painting yet?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:54 am

Brad_CAT wrote:
catatac wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Except for Mr. Lisle and the individual who(m?...don't actually care anymore) and the individual with 1957 in their online moniker, I know of few individuals posting here much older than I am and I suupose there are some retired or golden posters younger than some of my kids who are about to retire...so for the kids involved, I like to go back in time and show the timeline of certain programs and the continual growth of some individuals and their careers.

This Times article from the past shows what one coach who is really big on the full cost of attendance and paying the student athletes feels about the continual need to be competitive with regards to facilities. I thought it fascinating that the Davey O'Brien finalists show Chad Pennington as one of the finalists--you know, one of the six quarterbacks chosen before Brady...anyway, it's kind of nice to see a few comparisons to LSU facilities versus MSU facilities because I'll always be amazed that Willie Weeks held Pete Marivich 28 points below his season average...

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Wonder if anyone who posts here is capable of finding an article from the past who knows who a former football player for the Cats by the name of Brown is and why older MSU graduates think so highly of him? I seriously doubt it...

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:07 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:54 am
Brad_CAT wrote:
catatac wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Except for Mr. Lisle and the individual who(m?...don't actually care anymore) and the individual with 1957 in their online moniker, I know of few individuals posting here much older than I am and I suupose there are some retired or golden posters younger than some of my kids who are about to retire...so for the kids involved, I like to go back in time and show the timeline of certain programs and the continual growth of some individuals and their careers.

This Times article from the past shows what one coach who is really big on the full cost of attendance and paying the student athletes feels about the continual need to be competitive with regards to facilities. I thought it fascinating that the Davey O'Brien finalists show Chad Pennington as one of the finalists--you know, one of the six quarterbacks chosen before Brady...anyway, it's kind of nice to see a few comparisons to LSU facilities versus MSU facilities because I'll always be amazed that Willie Weeks held Pete Marivich 28 points below his season average...

Wonder if anyone who posts here is capable of finding an article from the past who knows who a former football player for the Cats by the name of Brown is and why older MSU graduates think so highly of him? I seriously doubt it...
I finally realized who CatGrad reminds me of. The Sean Connery on SNL “Jeopardy!”

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:08 am

Montanabob wrote:
Reminds me of one of a skanky party bus. All it needs is a stripper pole.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:26 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:07 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:54 am
Brad_CAT wrote:
catatac wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

I finally realized who CatGrad reminds me of. The Sean Connery on SNL “Jeopardy!”
Yea, but do you know who's sister swatted a fly on the set of the taping of that skit and why she referred to it as one small swat for non-sean, one giant bug splatter for New York? (not a real question,just a random cryptic post.)

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:57 am

UC Davis coach's thoughts on facilities and fundraising:

“Our athletic director (Kevin Blue) came from Stanford. He helped raise $350 million there. We just raised $50 million; we just built a new practice facility, and an athletic facility. But I just really feel like the stars are kind of aligning."

“Like when I went to Willamette (in Salem, Ore., where Hawkins went 40-11-1 from 1993 to ’97), people were saying, ‘Don’t go there, you can’t win there,’ and I said it’s different. Their president was tired of losing, their AD was tired of losing. And they built a new locker room and a new field, and a new weight room. They said, we’re going to get this thing going. And we went from one win to the (NAIA) national championship in five years. We didn’t win it, but we were there.

“So I do feel some parallels that way. People are jumping in and helping … and all those little things, they matter. They matter a lot.”

Here's the entire interview.
https://cdapress.com/sports/20190728/th ... compassion

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

fsburr1
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by fsburr1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:19 am

Got a site tour for this facility last week. Construction has yet to start. Like the article says, FCS Div I football facilities are in an arms race.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports ... e-facility

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:55 am

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber