article in Chronicle today

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4649
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:39 am

Lutecat: good point about Colter. He reached out to Ekern and gave him an opportunity to say he hasn’t heard from MSU. That probably would’ve prompted a call from MSU. I don’t think the coach did this kid any favors by ripping MSU.

Nothing personal against Ekern, but he simply does not look like FCS talent. Especially FCS playoff team talent. I’m not sure what Cole saw and I wonder how he was able to convince Choate to make an offer. Was he a partial or PWO? That would explain it a little bit. Can’t believe that they would’ve offered a full.



User avatar
The Butcher
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1753
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 am

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by The Butcher » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:48 am

This really doesn't hurt the young man's chances of playing college football. He has until February to catch on with another school (the second signing period). That is a lot of time to find a new place to play. I don't see a big issue here (coming from a former Bobcat that held 5 scholarship offers including Iowa State).
Also, "not communicating" during the season doesn't mean a whole lot. There are strict restrictions of communicating during the season, so it isn't like they were talking everyday on the phone and then just nothing...



User avatar
mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4228
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:45 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:39 am

Nothing personal against Ekern, but he simply does not look like FCS talent. Especially FCS playoff team talent. I’m not sure what Cole saw and I wonder how he was able to convince Choate to make an offer. Was he a partial or PWO? That would explain it a little bit. Can’t believe that they would’ve offered a full.

yeah, have to agree with you here. I feel bad talking negatively about the guy, since he is now having to figure this out..... but I thought the same thing back when he was initially recruited, nothing about his highlights really got me too excited. I just assumed the coaches were better at evaluating talent then me (which obviously they are).

anyway, hope he can get on with another school.


FTG- GO CATS GO!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:53 am

I thought for sure this would be breaking news on ESPN and other networks this morning. After all, I read on egriz and here that this is the first time a team has ever offered a scholarship and then rescinded. Why on earth am I not seeing it anywhere? Seems like this would be HUGE news if it was in fact the first time this has ever happened. I guess I don’t understand....



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9791
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:54 am

It sucks that it is so close before signing day, you have to feel for the kid, but like others have said this is sometimes just the way it is, and also like The Butcher said this is the early signing period, he still has plenty of chances until the normal signing period to find a new home.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2155
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by Cataholic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:54 am
It sucks that it is so close before signing day, you have to feel for the kid, but like others have said this is sometimes just the way it is, and also like The Butcher said this is the early signing period, he still has plenty of chances until the normal signing period to find a new home.
I don’t think this just happened. The timeline by Schweldeson is vague but it does not appear like this “just happened”. It seems this all transpired back closer to when Cole was fired back in October. Also according to Vims earlier post, his offer was pulled back when Cole was let go, not last week. Also, Colter Nuanez tried to reach out to Ekern back when this occurred but Ekern would not return his calls...



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4649
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:04 am

At what position? I see he also played defense. He’s not going anywhere to play quarterback with these numbers:

As a junior Ekern was 32 for 59 for 455 yards three tds and four ints. 35 carries for 92 yards and one TD.
He was offered a scholly by Cole based on that?
Then as a senior he’s 107 for 215 for 1,397 yards, 1 TD and 4 Int. 71 carries for 173 yards and two TD.

C’mon.
Last edited by iaafan on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.



Joe Bobcat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1810
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:05 am

The Chronicle reporter did a poor job of reporting the when of this story. Saying making contact was difficult for a couple of weeks leaves a lot to be desired. The week or two following coach Cole being let go had to be enough of a hot mess that contact with a recruit would’ve been pointless. If the staff took a couple of weeks to determine if they would be staying the course or going a different direction that seems appropriate to me. While this wasn’t a complete staff change it evidently was a big enough change to warrant some other changes. The kid didn’t help himself with the pedestrian season and the HS coach doesn’t sound like he’s helping anyone. The whining bitchy grizaddict is his typical sad self.


I have reached a point in my life where I feel nothing almost all of the time that I am alive. It's very empowering. --- Colter Nuanez - adopted as a credo by Joe Bobcat because it fits so well

Cataholic
Member # Retired
Posts: 2155
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by Cataholic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:15 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:53 am
I thought for sure this would be breaking news on ESPN and other networks this morning. After all, I read on egriz and here that this is the first time a team has ever offered a scholarship and then rescinded. Why on earth am I not seeing it anywhere? Seems like this would be HUGE news if it was in fact the first time this has ever happened. I guess I don’t understand....
I was curious what was being said on egriz so I just took a look. I found nothing but 2 minor mentions at the bottom of another thread... it seems that the only person that this was “unheard of” and that it struck a nerve with was GrizAgenda.



Catsrgrood
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:49 pm
Location: Billings

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:15 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:53 am
I thought for sure this would be breaking news on ESPN and other networks this morning. After all, I read on egriz and here that this is the first time a team has ever offered a scholarship and then rescinded. Why on earth am I not seeing it anywhere? Seems like this would be HUGE news if it was in fact the first time this has ever happened. I guess I don’t understand....
I was curious what was being said on egriz so I just took a look. I found nothing but 2 minor mentions at the bottom of another thread... it seems that the only person that this was “unheard of” and that it struck a nerve with was GrizAgenda.
They must have just taken the thread down. As of last night there was a 5 page thread on it. Good to know egriz is so concerned with MSU recruiting.



ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4021
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:12 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:29 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:15 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:53 am
I thought for sure this would be breaking news on ESPN and other networks this morning. After all, I read on egriz and here that this is the first time a team has ever offered a scholarship and then rescinded. Why on earth am I not seeing it anywhere? Seems like this would be HUGE news if it was in fact the first time this has ever happened. I guess I don’t understand....
I was curious what was being said on egriz so I just took a look. I found nothing but 2 minor mentions at the bottom of another thread... it seems that the only person that this was “unheard of” and that it struck a nerve with was GrizAgenda.
They must have just taken the thread down. As of last night there was a 5 page thread on it. Good to know egriz is so concerned with MSU recruiting.
Ya they moved it to smack where it belongs. No griz coach or any coach in the country has ever offered a kid a schollie only to pull it later. It’s fascinating!



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9791
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:40 am

They think it's the worst move in college football history and we are the only program to ever not communicate with a recruit for 2 weeks and then pull his offer.

It's crappy but this isn't going to stain the program like they think it will.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1797
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:02 pm

You hate to read an article and still have questions at the end, so I'll go ahead and make assumptions. I'll assume he knew on November 3 that the offer had been rescinded since the article said a couple weeks. In that couple weeks, the burden was on Jeff Choate and Matt Miller to, among their other tasks, decide if they really liked a certain kid or not that the previous coach liked enough to vouch for him to the head coach. I'm assuming Miller wasn't very familiar with him until that time, and a reasonable person can't expect Miller, under those circumstances, to dedicate a ton of time to researching a recruit. It sucks for the kid, but seriously what do you expect the staff to do in that moment? And just because the article came out a few days ahead of the early signing day (not the last signing day, mind you) doesn't mean he's only had five days to find another place to play. He's had six weeks to find something else before the earliest period. Not ideal, but if you're any good you'll find something else.

And regardless of the coaching change, I think it's safe to say MSU's QB needs have changed since July. It's too bad but I don't think there's anybody that needs to be crucified here.


Image

User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9791
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:05 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:02 pm
You hate to read an article and still have questions at the end, so I'll go ahead and make assumptions. I'll assume he knew on November 3 that the offer had been rescinded since the article said a couple weeks. In that couple weeks, the burden was on Jeff Choate and Matt Miller to, among their other tasks, decide if they really liked a certain kid or not that the previous coach liked enough to vouch for him to the head coach. I'm assuming Miller wasn't very familiar with him until that time, and a reasonable person can't expect Miller, under those circumstances, to dedicate a ton of time to researching a recruit. It sucks for the kid, but seriously what do you expect the staff to do in that moment? And just because the article came out a few days ahead of the early signing day (not the last signing day, mind you) doesn't mean he's only had five days to find another place to play. He's had six weeks to find something else before the earliest period. Not ideal, but if you're any good you'll find something else.

And regardless of the coaching change, I think it's safe to say MSU's QB needs have changed since July. It's too bad but I don't think there's anybody that needs to be crucified here.
Let's not forget that the standard signing day is in February either.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

doebrmn
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:37 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by doebrmn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Is it possible that Cole made the offer without Choate's knowledge and that's once reason he isn't on the staff anymore?



bobcat99
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:11 am

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:41 pm

doebrmn wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 pm
Is it possible that Cole made the offer without Choate's knowledge and that's once reason he isn't on the staff anymore?
No.



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7122
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:42 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:41 pm
doebrmn wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 pm
Is it possible that Cole made the offer without Choate's knowledge and that's once reason he isn't on the staff anymore?
No.
Choate signs off on every offer.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

User avatar
catgrad05
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1741
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 am
Location: North Central Montna

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:52 pm

So first we have a radio guy dissing the cats after the Cat griz game and he was a known fan of Missoula, now we have a report complaining about the Cat staff on a recruit coming from a griz bias sports section. Is it safe to say that the griz fan base is trying anything and everything to make the Cats look bad? I would say yes.

Would MSU have a valid complaint about tampering with the recruiting cycle?



iaafan
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4649
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:03 pm

[quote=catgrad05 post_id=654991 time=1545079963 user_id=16756]
So first we have a radio guy dissing the cats after the Cat griz game and he was a known fan of Missoula, now we have a report complaining about the Cat staff on a recruit coming from a griz bias sports section. Is it safe to say that the griz fan base is trying anything and everything to make the Cats look bad? I would say yes.

Would MSU have a valid complaint about tampering with the recruiting cycle?
[/quote]

Schwedelson is a Syracuse grad.



Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1394
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:17 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:03 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:52 pm
So first we have a radio guy dissing the cats after the Cat griz game and he was a known fan of Missoula, now we have a report complaining about the Cat staff on a recruit coming from a griz bias sports section. Is it safe to say that the griz fan base is trying anything and everything to make the Cats look bad? I would say yes.

Would MSU have a valid complaint about tampering with the recruiting cycle?
Schwedelson is a Syracuse grad.
Not to mention a bozeman chronicle sports writer covering MSU sports. Holy ****** I’ve heard it all. :lol:



Post Reply