QB position

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB position

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:54 am
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:47 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:00 am
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:50 am
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 am
If we don't sign a transfer QB on early signing day, is that cause for concern or are we confident we'll find one for national signing day?
Concerning but not "panic button" worthy...would have been nice to round out that position early.
I have a couple thoughts.

1. If Chris Murray is back for spring, then not panic worthy at all.
2. I think Drop Downs can sign/transfer at any time. We could potentially add a guy mid January.
3. All this is assuming Rovig can't go for spring ball....which he very well could be back to full strength.
4. If Murray doesn't make it AND we don't sign a transfer before classes start in January, AND Rovig can't play during spring, then that would be mildly disappointed about going through spring ball with only 2 QBs, both freshman.
5. Our linebackers should be pretty badass.
If scenario number 3 happens though, do you think Choate moves Andersen to LB or keeps him at QB to compete for spring?

You want the QB situation more or less solved, if not a guy then at least 3 or 4 guys you think can be the guy, by spring so the offense can be catered to a different style of QB than Troy, and of course getting Troy more reps at LB. But if you only have 2 guys there, does it blow that plan up?
I am assuming that Troy will go back to full time linebacker/part-time running back, but who knows what types of conversations are happening between Troy and Choate right now.
You are correct on #2 and it is something many are forgetting. Transfers can be added to roster any time and can visit the campus any time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but MSU will still be searching for a transfer QB to add to the spring mix all the way up until next spring semester begins.
And there could likely be a handful of transfers waiting until after bowl season to start shopping for a new home.

This Wednesday is pretty much all geared toward high school recruits.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:34 am
RobertCats wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 am
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Jalen Chapman's recruiting is starting to take off - hope we get aggressive - need to get someone
Doesn't appear we offered him.
Correct, I think we definitely would have been in the mix if we made an offer. I REALLY liked his film and am worried about him playing in the Big Sky, I think he will be very good for PSU. I will not chastise the coaching staff for not offering him though. SOOOO much more goes into an offer than just the film and I'm sure they had their reasons.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:54 am
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:47 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:00 am
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:50 am
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 am
If we don't sign a transfer QB on early signing day, is that cause for concern or are we confident we'll find one for national signing day?
Concerning but not "panic button" worthy...would have been nice to round out that position early.
I have a couple thoughts.

1. If Chris Murray is back for spring, then not panic worthy at all.
2. I think Drop Downs can sign/transfer at any time. We could potentially add a guy mid January.
3. All this is assuming Rovig can't go for spring ball....which he very well could be back to full strength.
4. If Murray doesn't make it AND we don't sign a transfer before classes start in January, AND Rovig can't play during spring, then that would be mildly disappointed about going through spring ball with only 2 QBs, both freshman.
5. Our linebackers should be pretty badass.
If scenario number 3 happens though, do you think Choate moves Andersen to LB or keeps him at QB to compete for spring?

You want the QB situation more or less solved, if not a guy then at least 3 or 4 guys you think can be the guy, by spring so the offense can be catered to a different style of QB than Troy, and of course getting Troy more reps at LB. But if you only have 2 guys there, does it blow that plan up?
I am assuming that Troy will go back to full time linebacker/part-time running back, but who knows what types of conversations are happening between Troy and Choate right now.
You are correct on #2 and it is something many are forgetting. Transfers can be added to roster any time and can visit the campus any time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but MSU will still be searching for a transfer QB to add to the spring mix all the way up until next spring semester begins.
And there could likely be a handful of transfers waiting until after bowl season to start shopping for a new home.

This Wednesday is pretty much all geared toward high school recruits.
Its kind of turned into the official signing day for the top in-state kids. Also, a really important day to lock up prized out-of-state recruits already committed.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:08 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:34 am
RobertCats wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 am
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Jalen Chapman's recruiting is starting to take off - hope we get aggressive - need to get someone
Doesn't appear we offered him.
Correct, I think we definitely would have been in the mix if we made an offer. I REALLY liked his film and am worried about him playing in the Big Sky, I think he will be very good for PSU. I will not chastise the coaching staff for not offering him though. SOOOO much more goes into an offer than just the film and I'm sure they had their reasons.
Staff was definitely interested but he visisted PSU and NAU on his officials. Timing is everything.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:09 pm

I would love to see a dropdown and/or transfer join the team for spring, IF its a big recruit they couldn't pass up (example- Gresch would have been a game changer), but I don't know if the team NEEDS a transfer.

Personally I think between Rovig, Baumen, Beltran and hopefully Murray, that they we will be in good hands just with that group of QB's alone.

As long as TA is a LB going forward then I will be a happy camper. :)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Yes, they can sign a JC or FBS guy anytime. If they don't, I think they wait until after spring ball.
My guess on spring ball is that we'll have 4 QB's. Bauman,Beltran, and Murray will be full go. Rovig will be in red.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:47 pm

I hear more and more that Murray will be in the mix, but what is this based on? Has there been any updates besides Murray's initial Tweet?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Siouxfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Siouxfan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Gresch Jensen is going to Texas St, following Stitt.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Siouxfan wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:43 pm

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:53 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:50 pm
Siouxfan wrote:

Hahaha. Nailed it

FTG- GO CATS GO!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:32 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:50 pm
Siouxfan wrote:
=D^

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:01 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:47 pm
I hear more and more that Murray will be in the mix, but what is this based on? Has there been any updates besides Murray's initial Tweet?
Choate addressed it briefly yesterday, when asked. Basically he said Murray is working on his own to get eligible, and this upcoming semester will be the one that matters. Also that he'd applied for re-admission to school. Nothing definitive, nothing ruling him completely out, but when listing off our QBs and why he liked each one, Murray wasn't mentioned in that discussion. That's actually what prompted the reporter to ask, I think.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:08 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:01 am
CelticCat wrote:
Choate addressed it briefly yesterday, when asked. Basically he said Murray is working on his own to get eligible, and this upcoming semester will be the one that matters. Also that he'd applied for re-admission to school. Nothing definitive, nothing ruling him completely out, but when listing off our QBs and why he liked each one, Murray wasn't mentioned in that discussion. That's actually what prompted the reporter to ask, I think.
He may be in the mix, and I hope he is, but I think Bauman will blow everyone away.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:59 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I imagine he really can't say a lot about Murray until he is officially back on the team.

That said, if Murray doesn't get the chance to compete in spring, i really don't see him winning the QB job back.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:11 am

If Murray does come back, what position would be be placed at?
Since he played QB before that is an option. I see potential as WR, RB, or TE. He is a bit small for the TE and RB position.

With his wheels and agility he has big potential at a WR spot.

Would Murray be willing to play at a position other than QB?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 am

technoCat wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:59 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I imagine he really can't say a lot about Murray until he is officially back on the team.

That said, if Murray doesn't get the chance to compete in spring, i really don't see him winning the QB job back.
And I wouldn't count him out even if he doesn't. Depending what he has done with his time away, he has more starts in Cat/Griz games alone than Rovig or Bauman have combined for all of their games. Murray had been making progress and I was actually excited to see what he was going to do this year. If he took his time away seriously and kept honing his throwing skills, and he can work out with the team this next summer, I wouldn't stick a fork in him just yet.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 am

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 am
technoCat wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:59 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

And I wouldn't count him out even if he doesn't. Depending what he has done with his time away, he has more starts in Cat/Griz games alone than Rovig or Bauman have combined for all of their games. Murray had been making progress and I was actually excited to see what he was going to do this year. If he took his time away seriously and kept honing his throwing skills, and he can work out with the team this next summer, I wouldn't stick a fork in him just yet.
Murray will have to show quantum leap in his passing skills because I see MM revamping the offense this spring to throw the ball more. I think trying to learn a "new" offense is what will keep him behind the others.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 am

With Coach Choate confirming that Matt Miller will be the Offensive Coordinator going forward, and, that he feels the QB of the future is currently in the program in Bauman, Beltran or Rovig, with TA being his 'ACE' in the hole, it's fair to conclude that MM also thinks that one or more of those 3 (Bauman, Beltran, Rovig) has the skills to be our starter.

However, if that were truly the case, I'm not sure why you'd offer Jensen or Modster. It will be interesting to see come February 6th, or come Summer/Fall camp for that matter, if there is a transfer QB on the roster or not. GO CATS!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 am
With Coach Choate confirming that Matt Miller will be the Offensive Coordinator going forward, and, that he feels the QB of the future is currently in the program in Bauman, Beltran or Rovig, with TA being his 'ACE' in the hole, it's fair to conclude that MM also thinks that one or more of those 3 (Bauman, Beltran, Rovig) has the skills to be our starter.

However, if that were truly the case, I'm not sure why you'd offer Jensen or Modster. It will be interesting to see come February 6th, or come Summer/Fall camp for that matter, if there is a transfer QB on the roster or not. GO CATS!
Quite simply, we need a QB next year. Choate knows we can't suffer through another year or subpar QB play. He needs to go all in on finding a good solution, and if that means 4-5 scholarship QBs fighting it out so be it.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:55 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 am

You always have to keep the talent coming in. You want someone that can push the incumbent to be better. Competition does that. Also, you want solid backups the exact reason we had this year. Lose one, its next man up. I believe when they say our QB is on the roster but that doesn't mean stop bringing guys in.