QB position

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB position

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:18 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:19 pm
Isn't having spring ball and fall camp giving these guys a serious shot to win the job. Roving had a chance in both and Didn't win it.
I personally don't think you put them in games we have a shot to win just to give them a shot. That occurs at practice and camp. Having said that, it doesn't mean they aren't capable because they haven't don't it yet.
...and he was coming back from injury. Man, some people have short memories.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 am

superbobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:43 am
Does anybody know the official status on Murray? Is he back in Bozeman, coming back, or is that just a bunch of gossip? It would be a great story if he could put it together and return better than ever. As young as he is, a year off may have been a good thing.
Would assume he is back as a student indicated by an annual fund raising email I received from a Chris Murray.

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 am

kwcat wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 am
superbobcat wrote:
Does anybody know the official status on Murray? Is he back in Bozeman, coming back, or is that just a bunch of gossip? It would be a great story if he could put it together and return better than ever. As young as he is, a year off may have been a good thing.
Would assume he is back as a student indicated by an annual fund raising email I received from a Chris Murray.
That Chris Murray is the president of the foundation....not the qb

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:48 am

I think Rovig showed enough in the 2 or so games he came in that he has some talent throwing the ball. He needs to work on his quick underneath/outside passes, but there was no denying he can throw the passes over the middle and down the field with zip and touch. I for one am curious to see how he does with another off season because he really does throw a nice ball. The same can be said of Bauman I'm sure as well but we haven't seen in game results just yet. These 2 will only get better so it is silly to count them out right now. I also think there might be some struggle with these guys in camp because we were juggling a running QB with passing quarterbacks. The blocking scheme is totally different with those different styles (creating a pocket etc.). So the coaches need to pick a guy and get him installed in the system early this year so we can have some chemistry with the OL moving forward (I'm not blaming the coaches as Murray was a late scratch and they had to scramble).

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:22 am

Yup, we need to start the competition in the spring, and install whatever else we need to around that.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:36 am

catamaran wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 am
kwcat wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 am
superbobcat wrote:
That Chris Murray is the president of the foundation....not the qb
Didn't know there were two! :oops:
Thanks for the heads up!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:06 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:48 am
I think Rovig showed enough in the 2 or so games he came in that he has some talent throwing the ball. He needs to work on his quick underneath/outside passes, but there was no denying he can throw the passes over the middle and down the field with zip and touch. I for one am curious to see how he does with another off season because he really does throw a nice ball. The same can be said of Bauman I'm sure as well but we haven't seen in game results just yet. These 2 will only get better so it is silly to count them out right now. I also think there might be some struggle with these guys in camp because we were juggling a running QB with passing quarterbacks. The blocking scheme is totally different with those different styles (creating a pocket etc.). So the coaches need to pick a guy and get him installed in the system early this year so we can have some chemistry with the OL moving forward (I'm not blaming the coaches as Murray was a late scratch and they had to scramble).
:goodpost:

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:17 pm

Looks like Rovig’s rehab is going well.......

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Great attitude!!

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:57 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:17 pm
Looks like Rovig’s rehab is going well.......
Glad to hear he is healing up! Looking forward to spring ball to see how the QBs have progressed.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:17 pm

DEAR SANTA,

Report: Former five-star quarterback Justin Fields transferring from Georgia

BY CHANCE WOULD HE WANT TO COME TO MONTANA AND BE A BOBCAT!!??

I know, I know, but it is worth a try.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:55 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:17 pm
DEAR SANTA,

Report: Former five-star quarterback Justin Fields transferring from Georgia

BY CHANCE WOULD HE WANT TO COME TO MONTANA AND BE A BOBCAT!!??

I know, I know, but it is worth a try.
Well, hope NCAA doesn't grant a transfer waiver. Then maybe.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Jalen Chapman's recruiting is starting to take off - hope we get aggressive - need to get someone

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:34 am

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 am
Bozcat003 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:56 pm
Jalen Chapman's recruiting is starting to take off - hope we get aggressive - need to get someone
Doesn't appear we offered him.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 am

If we don't sign a transfer QB on early signing day, is that cause for concern or are we confident we'll find one for national signing day?

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:50 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:39 am
If we don't sign a transfer QB on early signing day, is that cause for concern or are we confident we'll find one for national signing day?
Concerning but not "panic button" worthy...would have been nice to round out that position early.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:00 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:50 am
CelticCat wrote:
Concerning but not "panic button" worthy...would have been nice to round out that position early.
I have a couple thoughts.

1. If Chris Murray is back for spring, then not panic worthy at all.
2. I think Drop Downs can sign/transfer at any time. We could potentially add a guy mid January.
3. All this is assuming Rovig can't go for spring ball....which he very well could be back to full strength.
4. If Murray doesn't make it AND we don't sign a transfer before classes start in January, AND Rovig can't play during spring, then that would be mildly disappointed about going through spring ball with only 2 QBs, both freshman.
5. Our linebackers should be pretty badass.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:47 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:00 am
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

2. I think Drop Downs can sign/transfer at any time. We could potentially add a guy mid January.
3. All this is assuming Rovig can't go for spring ball....which he very well could be back to full strength.
4. If Murray doesn't make it AND we don't sign a transfer before classes start in January, AND Rovig can't play during spring, then that would be mildly disappointed about going through spring ball with only 2 QBs, both freshman.
If scenario number 3 happens though, do you think Choate moves Andersen to LB or keeps him at QB to compete for spring?

You want the QB situation more or less solved, if not a guy then at least 3 or 4 guys you think can be the guy, by spring so the offense can be catered to a different style of QB than Troy, and of course getting Troy more reps at LB. But if you only have 2 guys there, does it blow that plan up?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:54 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:47 am
wbtfg wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

If scenario number 3 happens though, do you think Choate moves Andersen to LB or keeps him at QB to compete for spring?

You want the QB situation more or less solved, if not a guy then at least 3 or 4 guys you think can be the guy, by spring so the offense can be catered to a different style of QB than Troy, and of course getting Troy more reps at LB. But if you only have 2 guys there, does it blow that plan up?
I am assuming that Troy will go back to full time linebacker/part-time running back, but who knows what types of conversations are happening between Troy and Choate right now.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:54 am
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:47 am
wbtfg wrote:
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

I am assuming that Troy will go back to full time linebacker/part-time running back, but who knows what types of conversations are happening between Troy and Choate right now.
You are correct on #2 and it is something many are forgetting. Transfers can be added to roster any time and can visit the campus any time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but MSU will still be searching for a transfer QB to add to the spring mix all the way up until next spring semester begins.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."