R&R Cat Cast - New Bobcat Fan Podcast

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Re: R&R Cat Cast - New Bobcat Fan Podcast

Post by coachouert » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:52 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:55 am
Well the 2019 season came to an end in Fargo. We recap the NDSU loss, talk a little bit about what we need to do to compete, discuss the pre-NDSU Jeff Choate press conference "controversy", and answer all your Golden Koozie questions.

Congrats to @coachouert for winning a #GoldenKoozie! Hit either @Common Cat or myself up, or email us at rrcatcast@gmail.com and we'll get that sent out to you.

iTunes:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/n ... 0461439567

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Ve5rM3grsupFmNzJJ6Xde

Stitcher

Thanks and as always excellent work, fellas!

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:02 pm

Next week we are going to record at least 1 episode, possibly two if our "All-Decade All-Star" segment runs long. We're putting each position group to a vote on Twitter, feel free to vote for who you think was the best by position. I'll just keep responding to that Tweet for each new poll.

Right now it's neck and neck between Elvis Akpla and Tanner Bleskin:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:19 am

I'm not going to spam this thread with each poll, but we're onto all-purpose right now. We've done WRs, PKs, Centers, and DEs so far, and all are still open to vote. Each poll is a reply to the previous poll, so they are cascading if you will.

And if anyone wants to help me pick the top 4 safeties between Joel Fuller, Brayden Konkol, Jahque Alleyne, Bryson McCabe, Steven Bethley and Rob Marshall just let me know. :lol:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:58 am

Burning through the position groups. Latest is running backs, but we've done all-purpose, WR, PK, Center, DE, QB, TE, S, P, and OL (non-C). Some surprises to me, I think there is some recency bias going on.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:58 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:58 am
Burning through the position groups. Latest is running backs, but we've done all-purpose, WR, PK, Center, DE, QB, TE, S, P, and OL (non-C). Some surprises to me, I think there is some recency bias going on.

Definitely some recency bias.

But I think it's pretty clear what the answer is for QB and RB. Even WR.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:45 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:58 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:58 am

Definitely some recency bias.

But I think it's pretty clear what the answer is for QB and RB. Even WR.
Where do you see recency bias? The voting is for the last decade only.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:22 pm

There really isn't a ton of recency bias, things have levelled out a bit in some spots where it may have existed, and where it does exist is for the 2-4 spots anyway in races that weren't going to be close regardless.

One that really jumps out is Everett Gilbert is dead last in the all-purpose voting, but that's Shawn Johnson's position to lose anyway. But Gilbert had a much better career statistically than people remember I think, and certainly better than Logan Jones or Gunnar Brekke. Gilbert still holds the all-time record for kick return yards and is 3rd in all-purpose yards.

Also a little surprised to see Sandland over Salanoa but that's not necessarily recency bias. Joel Fuller dead last in the safety voting is also a little surprising but I think people may have thought he was a bit overrated if I remember correctly.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:30 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:22 pm
There really isn't a ton of recency bias, things have levelled out a bit in some spots where it may have existed, and where it does exist is for the 2-4 spots anyway in races that weren't going to be close regardless.

One that really jumps out is Everett Gilbert is dead last in the all-purpose voting, but that's Shawn Johnson's position to lose anyway. But Gilbert had a much better career statistically than people remember I think, and certainly better than Logan Jones or Gunnar Brekke. Gilbert still holds the all-time record for kick return yards and is 3rd in all-purpose yards.

Also a little surprised to see Sandland over Salanoa but that's not necessarily recency bias. Joel Fuller dead last in the safety voting is also a little surprising but I think people may have thought he was a bit overrated if I remember correctly.
Konkol specifically jumped out to me regarding the recency argument. There wasn't a ton but that one stood out.

That and someone was talking about Ifanse but obviously his career isn't done. But I wouldn't put him above Kirk at all for the decade argument.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:47 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:22 pm

In regards to Joel Fuller, I think it comes down to big games. Fuller seemed to play great in regular games, but against the Griz and in the playoffs, he got beat continuously. And maybe I'm only remembering the negatives, but that's how I remember it. I could definitely be wrong. Konkol raised his play in big games and typically had huge games against the Griz. That's my theory to account for the discrepancy.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:20 am

This will ruffle some feathers but it is my opinion so who cares.

Shawn Johnson is NOT an all time Bobcat great. He fumbled often. He ran sideline to sideline too avoid the big hit. He wouldn’t field a punt for fear of getting hit. He frequently lost yards, both as a return guy and at RB. If for the love of God, he stuck his foot in the ground on HALF of his carries and stuck his nose up into the pile like Logan Jones, THEN AND ONLY THEN would I consider him an all time great. SJ was fast as lightning. But SJ was a CH!CKEN SH!T

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:24 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:20 am

Shawn Johnson is NOT an all time Bobcat great. He fumbled often. He ran sideline to sideline too avoid the big hit. He wouldn’t field a punt for fear of getting hit. He frequently lost yards, both as a return guy and at RB. If for the love of God, he stuck his foot in the ground on HALF of his carries and stuck his nose up into the pile like Logan Jones, THEN AND ONLY THEN would I consider him an all time great. SJ was fast as lightning. But SJ was a CH!CKEN SH!T
Yes, the guy who holds the career record for all-purpose yards and career rushing YPC (6.1) was a chicken ******. I get the fumble thing that was certainly an issue but calling him a chicken ****** is going a little too far.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:20 am

CelticCat wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:24 am
94VegasCat wrote:

Yes, the guy who holds the career record for all-purpose yards and career rushing YPC (6.1) was a chicken ******. I get the fumble thing that was certainly an issue but calling him a chicken ****** is going a little too far.
Calling him a ****** is going way too far. Franco goddamn Harris ran out of bounds, too.

When you're 5'6" and 190, you get low and try to slip through some tackles. When you're 5'9" and 160 but the fastest guy on the field, you try to get to the edge and break contain. Sometimes you lose 6, sometimes you score 6. High risk, high reward.
Last edited by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:43 am

I’m a little bit technically challenged. The only way to vote is on Twitter? So if you don’t have an account you can’t vote?

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:44 am

As far as Shawn Johnson goes. Would love to have another player like him. When he started out he went a little too much side to side. As he progressed in his career he found his stride and gotten north and south. If you wanna argue that. You have to look at his career yards.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 am

kwcat wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:44 am
As far as Shawn Johnson goes. Would love to have another player like him. When he started out he went a little too much side to side. As he progressed in his career he found his stride and gotten north and south. If you wanna argue that. You have to look at his career yards.
Agree 100%. Early on I was often frustrated with his side to side runs. But as stated, later on he became a north/south runner and productive.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:49 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:20 am
CelticCat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:

Calling him a ****** is going way too far. Franco goddamn Harris ran out of bounds, too.

When you're 5'6" and 190, you get low and try to slip through some tackles. When you're 5'9" and 160 but the fastest guy on the field, you try to get to the edge and break contain. Sometimes you lose 6, sometimes you score 6. High risk, high reward.
Too many 3 and outs with that philosophy. Maybe he should’ve ran track.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:54 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:49 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:20 am
CelticCat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:

Too many 3 and outs with that philosophy. Maybe he should’ve ran track.
Yeah, the highest scoring offenses in Bobcat history had too many 3 and outs. Maybe you should stay in your lane and not libel anymore Bobcats.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:41 am

94VegasCat wrote:

Did he dump your daughter or something? No reason at all to say that type of crap about him and call him names. You deserve a timeout from the board for that.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:01 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:41 am
94VegasCat wrote:

Did he dump your daughter or something? No reason at all to say that type of crap about him and call him names. You deserve a timeout from the board for that.
Gee thanks dad 🙄.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:12 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:01 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:41 am
94VegasCat wrote:

Gee thanks dad 🙄.
I mean, you did this lol