Beer sales being considerd

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Beer sales being considerd

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:50 am

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:27 am
What if the tailgates were allowed to stay up longer after the game. You would have time before and after to visit friends you don't sit by in the stadium
It's certainly an option and should be considered. They extended the pre-game tailgate time at UO as well to help with these concerns from the fans.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:59 am

Would be interested in hearing from some on here who have said they would quit coming whether this would help. I enjoy the tailgate as much as others but by the time you get out and back it seems like you only get 15 minutes maybe extra visiting. Getting to talk about the final outcome after seems more fun

Sports is not bigger than life

MSUBOBCAT4LIFE
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MSUBOBCAT4LIFE » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Students will leave at half no matter if there are beer sales or not. If the whole reason to get people to stay at half is solely based on having beer sales and play areas this will not only harm the population after half it will completely take a majority of the students out of the stadium. Lets be real many of them arent of drinking age so they leave at half and for the most part are partying. Closing the gates to keep people in is not going to work hear. It may at large stadiums, and that is because there arent tailgates like the personal tailgates people have at bozeman. People will be in their seats at half before kickoff if they want to, and closing them out from going to visit their tale gate that they pay all year for is not going to stop them from leaving. Go ahead sell beer in the stadium that may very well keep some people in, but closing re-entrance will not work and i for one think it would be a major mistake and misguidance of what people really want. You want people in their seats at half then give incentive to be there for the kickoff, but closing out re-entrance will only deplete the amount of people there. My opinion, but its the opinion of many i am sure that go to games for both the game and visiting and having a place for friends and family to go to if they need to change, or get something they forgot or rest in the vehicle if its cold. There is no way they can regulate which people are going to get something for their kids and which people they dont let back in.

I Bleed Blue & Gold & Find Myself Watching Replays Of The Game The Day After Being There In Person. Some Call Me Crazy I Call It Dedication

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:47 pm

MSUBOBCAT4LIFE wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:22 pm
Students will leave at half no matter if there are beer sales or not. If the whole reason to get people to stay at half is solely based on having beer sales and play areas this will not only harm the population after half it will completely take a majority of the students out of the stadium. Lets be real many of them arent of drinking age so they leave at half and for the most part are partying. Closing the gates to keep people in is not going to work hear. It may at large stadiums, and that is because there arent tailgates like the personal tailgates people have at bozeman. People will be in their seats at half before kickoff if they want to, and closing them out from going to visit their tale gate that they pay all year for is not going to stop them from leaving. Go ahead sell beer in the stadium that may very well keep some people in, but closing re-entrance will not work and i for one think it would be a major mistake and misguidance of what people really want. You want people in their seats at half then give incentive to be there for the kickoff, but closing out re-entrance will only deplete the amount of people there. My opinion, but its the opinion of many i am sure that go to games for both the game and visiting and having a place for friends and family to go to if they need to change, or get something they forgot or rest in the vehicle if its cold. There is no way they can regulate which people are going to get something for their kids and which people they dont let back in.
I don't know if it'll work or not but the part I underlined isn't true. They have many personal spots here in Eugene.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Another luxury we have is our stadium only holds roughly 20k. Seems to me the bigger schools can more easily implement the no re entry because of the larger crowd capacity. It would take an hour to get out and back in at half time. Part of the uniqueness we have and I enjoy that.

For me the beer money, and let’s just say a national championship, are not worth losing the luxury and ability we have to enjoy catching up with old alum and friends as well as meeting new people in the tailgates. I know the team and coaches might not appreciate it but to me it’s all part of being a bobcat and getting to comeback and enjoy the game.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Can't you do that before and after. I am really struggling with someone saying they would not come at all because they couldn't go out at halftime. If they choose to do that they do not get to see any old friends or meet any new people. Seems a very hard stance for that 15 minutes list at halftime.

Sports is not bigger than life

MSUBOBCAT4LIFE
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MSUBOBCAT4LIFE » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:13 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:37 pm
Can't you do that before and after. I am really struggling with someone saying they would not come at all because they couldn't go out at halftime. If they choose to do that they do not get to see any old friends or meet any new people. Seems a very hard stance for that 15 minutes list at halftime.
The whole point is blocking any re entrance no matter what the person is doing will lead to smaller crowd second half. People have reasons to leave and we have a great tailgate parking that is just outside the stadium with entrance to get back in pretty quick. Holding people in against what they want to do will not drive up enthusiasm and attendance. Just because many of you don’t care to leave at half, or don’t have your own spots doesn’t mean your want to have full seats after half will be fixed by telling those that do to stay in or you won’t be allowed back in. He’ll give it a try my guess is you will have many more empty seats as those will just go watch it at the bar or wherever . You start losing tailgate donors and you lose a large portion of those people who pay more money a year than just for tickets. Ps tailgates at Oregon game are not the same. Much longer to get to them much longer to get back in. More people at the game who just stay in do to the population. Can’t compare Oregon stadium to bobcat stadium it’s completely different

I Bleed Blue & Gold & Find Myself Watching Replays Of The Game The Day After Being There In Person. Some Call Me Crazy I Call It Dedication

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:18 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:27 am
What if the tailgates were allowed to stay up longer after the game. You would have time before and after to visit friends you don't sit by in the stadium
Bingo! I'm starting to stay at the half but it would be great if we had an extra hour or two after to catch up with friends and family. Besides, you can't get out of the Fieldhouse lot anyway! :D

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:25 pm

I just don’t see a need to change what we have going. There are already weekends where we struggle to get everyone to show up. Montanans don’t like being told what to do and considering many are already tempted to spend their weekends at the hunting cabin I don’t like the idea of giving people an excuse to stay away.

For those of us posting on BN regularly, the purpose of attending the game is to watch every play but for many it is an excuse to socialize. Also, I like the fact that we don’t do things like Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Michigan and Oregon.

I like the idea of the stadium packed for every play but not enough to force anyone to do anything. If someone isn’t in their seat at the start of the 2nd half it’s because they don’t want to be and what right do I have to force them to?

Last point, people pay substantial money for the tailgating experience and freedom we currently enjoy. I don’t think we are smart to mess with that revenue and some of the tradition that many of those folks have built over the years.

Put me in the camp of against beer sales all together. We have easy access to booze at the tailgates, liability for the University is low and what we have going seems to work fine.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Just to be clear because after a lot of discussion here the last couple days I think it may have been lost, this is not something that (at least to my direct knowledge) is being actively pursued at this time by the Athletic Dept. This is a 4 year old thread that was brought up again due to the recent report of the revenue that JMU generated and if that was worthwhile for MSU to investigate. So before everyone gets all worked up, please remember this is just a discussion on this board, not something to be concerned about anything actually changing at this time.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:53 pm

kmax wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:35 pm
Just to be clear because after a lot of discussion here the last couple days I think it may have been lost, this is not something that (at least to my direct knowledge) is being actively pursued at this time by the Athletic Dept. This is a 4 year old thread that was brought up again due to the recent report of the revenue that JMU generated and if that was worthwhile for MSU to investigate. So before everyone gets all worked up, please remember this is just a discussion on this board, not something to be concerned about anything actually changing at this time.
Don't go throwing common sense and facts into an emotional argument. You are risking tarring and feathering.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:07 pm

tetoncat wrote:
We travel 160 miles one way, we come down the morning of the game, get there about 2 hours for pregame, and usually leave right after the game and get home around 9:00 or so (stop and eat on way home). So the 2 hours pre game and halftime and about 15 minutes after the game are all for seeing other people.

I would dislike the no re-entry policy but would still go to the games. it would definitely devalue the tailgates and that needs to be considered because some might drop their tailgates and it would be a big change in the game-day atmosphere. Personally I dont know why we want or need beer sales in the stadium, but that is just me.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:26 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:07 pm
I would dislike the no re-entry policy but would still go to the games. it would definitely devalue the tailgates and that needs to be considered because some might drop their tailgates and it would be a big change in the game-day atmosphere. Personally I dont know why we want or need beer sales in the stadium, but that is just me.
I tend to agree with this, even though I don't do much tailgating and am one of those who stays in the stadium at halftime. There's plenty of opportunity to have a couple drinks before and/or after the game, and with a much greater selection of options at non-stadium prices. People get up in arms a bit about having empty seats at the beginning of the third quarter, but I don't buy that this has any effect on the team's performance. Case in point, by the time many of our seat neighbors got back after halftime of the SEMO game, MSU had already turned the 10-10 halftime tie into a 24-10 lead.

I actually think that beer sales would make more sense at basketball games in the Fieldhouse, because those aren't weekend-long events for many fans like the football games are. Show up to the game just before tip-off, buy a beer to enjoy while watching if you want one, and then head home afterwards.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:57 pm

I hate to break the news, but they do sell beer at MSU football games. Whisky too.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:54 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:57 pm
I hate to break the news, but they do sell beer at MSU football games. Whisky too.
Yes but the people buying those don’t watch the games anyway. :wink:

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 pm

MSUBOBCAT4LIFE wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:13 pm
tetoncat wrote:
The whole point is blocking any re entrance no matter what the person is doing will lead to smaller crowd second half. People have reasons to leave and we have a great tailgate parking that is just outside the stadium with entrance to get back in pretty quick. Holding people in against what they want to do will not drive up enthusiasm and attendance. Just because many of you don’t care to leave at half, or don’t have your own spots doesn’t mean your want to have full seats after half will be fixed by telling those that do to stay in or you won’t be allowed back in. He’ll give it a try my guess is you will have many more empty seats as those will just go watch it at the bar or wherever . You start losing tailgate donors and you lose a large portion of those people who pay more money a year than just for tickets. Ps tailgates at Oregon game are not the same. Much longer to get to them much longer to get back in. More people at the game who just stay in do to the population. Can’t compare Oregon stadium to bobcat stadium it’s completely different
Tetoncat really summed it well. A lot of people are taking a hard stance for 15 minutes of tailgating. There is plenty of time to socialize before and after the game. How can 15 minutes be so important that you are willing to give up your season tickets AND also support of the program? And if you are committed to being in your seat at the second half kickoff, those 15 minutes are probably less than 10 minutes of socializing and/or drinking. And honestly, how many beers can you have in 10 minutes? My chugging beer days are behind me and that giving up that one beer at halftime would not be a major sacrifice.

Many of ask what can we do to make the team stronger and more competitive. If Coach Choate came and asked us to do something to help the program, hundreds and even thousands of people make that commitment. But if Choate asks for a no-rentry policy to make sure that people are in their seats for second half kickoff, supposedly thousands of fans will give up their tickets. I call BS on that... And Choate has said that the empty stands have affected his decision making after the coin toss. He doesn’t want the visiting team to open the second half with the ball and half the stadium empty. He would like to see the stands full and raucous and loud when the opposition has the ball. I just can’t understand how 15 minutes of socializing can be more important than providing a home field advantage to our team.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:44 pm

I attended the South Dakota State game last year. Before the game, many of us were given a tour of the new facilities. At the end of the tour I asked their administration if they had any push-back from fans when they implemented their no-readmission policy when they built their new stadium. Their answer was "NO". (President Cruzado was standing next to me when I asked)

South Dakota State's tailgating is right next to the stadium, just like ours.

Frankly, the lack of crowd noise to start the 2nd half when the visitors get the ball first takes away our supposed home field advantage. We received the 2nd half kickoff against Southeast Missouri State and scored on that drive, by the time they got the ball, more of the crowd was back to help the defense.

do not underestimate the power of our crowd noise. AND, as a crowd we should be loud the whole time they have the ball, not just when the opponent breaks their huddle and the PA announcer tells us to get loud. That shouldn't be needed.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:04 am

"Bye FELICIA."

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:55 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 pm
MSUBOBCAT4LIFE wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
Tetoncat really summed it well. A lot of people are taking a hard stance for 15 minutes of tailgating. There is plenty of time to socialize before and after the game. How can 15 minutes be so important that you are willing to give up your season tickets AND also support of the program? And if you are committed to being in your seat at the second half kickoff, those 15 minutes are probably less than 10 minutes of socializing and/or drinking. And honestly, how many beers can you have in 10 minutes? My chugging beer days are behind me and that giving up that one beer at halftime would not be a major sacrifice.

Many of ask what can we do to make the team stronger and more competitive. If Coach Choate came and asked us to do something to help the program, hundreds and even thousands of people make that commitment. But if Choate asks for a no-rentry policy to make sure that people are in their seats for second half kickoff, supposedly thousands of fans will give up their tickets. I call BS on that... And Choate has said that the empty stands have affected his decision making after the coin toss. He doesn’t want the visiting team to open the second half with the ball and half the stadium empty. He would like to see the stands full and raucous and loud when the opposition has the ball. I just can’t understand how 15 minutes of socializing can be more important than providing a home field advantage to our team.
I think you are dead wrong in your assumption that thousands wouldn’t give up their tickets if we limited the socializing aspect of game day. A lot of people on here are offering opinions making the assumption that Bobcat Stadium is filled with 19000 people who feel about the program like we do. That is not the truth at all.

If Choate asked me to do anything for the program I would but for those of us who attended games back in the day we know what the game day experience can turn into. I use to have endzone tickets that turned into sit wherever you want tickets every Saturday. 0-12 or 12-0 if I’m not working I’ll be there but that is not the case with most. Somewhere, magically, we’ve picked up about 12000 fans over the last 15-20 years and the reason they showed up is because Bobcat football became a social hotspot again. They aren’t fanatics which is why they aren’t in their seats for every snap but their money spends as good as anyone’s.
I’d be willing to wager that half the people in attendance are there more for the tailgating than supporting the program.

As diehard fans we can sit and grumble when these guys take until the middle of the 3rd quarter to find their seats but limiting the ability for them to enjoy every minute of what they really showed up for is counter productive to our overall goals.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:28 am

utucats wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:55 am
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:08 pm
MSUBOBCAT4LIFE wrote:
tetoncat wrote:

I think you are dead wrong in your assumption that thousands wouldn’t give up their tickets if we limited the socializing aspect of game day. A lot of people on here are offering opinions making the assumption that Bobcat Stadium is filled with 19000 people who feel about the program like we do. That is not the truth at all.

If Choate asked me to do anything for the program I would but for those of us who attended games back in the day we know what the game day experience can turn into. I use to have endzone tickets that turned into sit wherever you want tickets every Saturday. 0-12 or 12-0 if I’m not working I’ll be there but that is not the case with most. Somewhere, magically, we’ve picked up about 12000 fans over the last 15-20 years and the reason they showed up is because Bobcat football became a social hotspot again. They aren’t fanatics which is why they aren’t in their seats for every snap but their money spends as good as anyone’s.
I’d be willing to wager that half the people in attendance are there more for the tailgating than supporting the program.

As diehard fans we can sit and grumble when these guys take until the middle of the 3rd quarter to find their seats but limiting the ability for them to enjoy every minute of what they really showed up for is counter productive to our overall goals.
And I think you are dead wrong about the importance of 15 minutes of socializing. It is 15 minutes... My suggestion to MSU: allow everyone to renew tickets for the 2020 season. Prior to the first game, announce new beer gardens, warming den and no reentry. People will complain, but they will renew for 2021 season with Cat Griz home game. By 2022, no reentry will be established and the days of the halftime tailgate will be long forgotten.