Col. DE Possible Griz Transfer

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bigtime75
BobcatNation Redshirt

Col. DE Possible Griz Transfer

Post by Bigtime75 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:51 pm

I know this is not a forum for Grizzly news, but when I heard from a buddy of mine that Marques Harris, Col. Def MVP and All-Big12 selection, is considering becoming a Griz , I'll admit i was a little disturbed. Now it isn't a sure thing by any means, but i was told by my buddy, who works in the Darkside of the U of M Athlet. Dept, that he has been in to missoula for a visit and will make a decision in a week or two. It pisses me off that we aren't landing these type of prospects! Matakis is a great get, dont get me wrong, but he is far from a sure thing-he hasn't even played defense in two seasons. You can make the case that a IA transfer with only 1 year of eligibility ruins the dynamics of a team and pisses off the players that are already there, but you are delusional if you think Kramer wouldn't take this guy in a second. My point is, why can't we compete with UM for these type of players?Dont get wrong, I love our chances next year and recruits dont mean a thing until they step onto the field and prove themselves, but I hate the feeling that we are getting outhussled/outclassed in the recruiting dept. Anybody with me on this???

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:02 pm

If they do get him, it might have something to do with Hauck's previous stint at Colorado (similar to the MSU connections that gave us Junior Adams). I don't think anyone could have forseen the meltdown that has happened to that program, and those with close ties to the program who happen to be I-AA head coaches may turn out to have some good fortune out of the misfortune of others. The fact that Ochs came out of there always plays strongly into their hands.

I-A transfers are great, sure, when they work out. I hope ours work out great, but I don't think we can beat ourselves up because they got one that we didn't.

Not to cast a negative light on things or anything (as I kind of got yelled at once for suggesting that the UCLA receiver might not be a very solid bet due to his grade problem), but wasn't this guy also suspended for something earlier as well? It might be nothing, but there's a chance that there is some risk associated with this guy, and some coaches are more willing than others to take on that risk.

So if this guy ends up at Northern Colorado, do we join UM in complaining that we both got outclassed by Northern Colorado?

This raises a troubling question -- are I-AA schools becoming more and more a competition to see who can get the most drop-downs? It seems to be a larger part of everyone's impact player list each year. Are we becoming the division where guys who can't make the cut at the higher division (or have problems of other kinds that force them off a team) drop down and appear to turn into stars (although it's somewhat rare for that to happen, but that seems to be the expectation).

As always, I am a little troubled that this will perpetuate the perception on the part of the snobby I-A fans that I-AA truly is a J.V. league. Granted, there are guys that have some bizarre circumstances who end up at this level as a result of a drop down that did so by choice. However, it troubles me when I-AA fans begin to pitch tents over the slightest whisper of a I-A drop down. Are the players that we (I-AA collectively) recruit out of high school and JC's really that bad, despite all of the back patting we give ourselves? Or are we really just the AAA minor leagues of college football where guys go to rehab?
Last edited by SonomaCat on Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:34 pm

I don't see anything wrong with our recruiting class this year. And I'd wager that by season's end nobody else will either.

As far as this possible new guy goes, I've said my peace over on eFriz. I could care less who they line up at DE, for I still feel we can and should roll those fools this Nov.

*edit It seems that more and more these days we base the strength of a recruiting class on who can immediately step in and play at an all conference calibre. In reality, we should look at the career MSU guys who have been waiting in the wings for their time to be the next generation of great 'Cat ballplayers. We will no doubt have a few of those this year.
Last edited by GavinDonos on Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:08 pm

From what I know of the current rosters of the two teams, if I'm a transfer DE looking at a 1-AA school I'm going to UM, not MSU.

Both teams have gotten their share of quality 1-A transfers, and will continue to do so. I just like to see how the same Griz fans who could not criticize Kramer enough for bringing in Junior Adams are now drooling over a guy who seems to have had his share of off the field problems as well.
Last edited by MSU01 on Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:45 am

it's great if you can get a good div 1a drop. the problem i see is when you get the reputation as a 1a drop home. i think the griz could be hurt in attracting a quality high school qb.

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:51 am

I think the fact that 1A's drop to 1AA is situational. They simply don't have to sit out a year to compete again. I agree with BAC, there may be a JV perception, but if a guy like Randy Moss could have transferred to another 1A and played immediately he undoubtedly could have gone anywhere. Fact is, he kept his hand in play at a high level going to Marshall. I believe if a 1A could transfer to another 1A and play immediately then 1AA would likely see fewer imports.
On the flip side, I've enjoyed those rare instances when a 1AA goes 1A and does well, such as QB Brad Otten leaving Weber State for USC a few years ago.
On the downside, I hate watching former Bobcats perform well somewhere else. Does the name Mitch Jones do anything for you?

KSCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by KSCAT » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:13 pm

I just saw on egriz that there have been some reports from an AGS poster indicating that Harris will be transfering to Southern Utah.

Bobcat Born, Bobcat Bred, Gonna Be a Bobcat til' the day I'm Dead!!!!!!!!!!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:07 pm

From Colorado Def MVP and All-Big12 selection to Southern Utah !?!
Boy how the mighty have fallen! Last I remember Southern Utah has never been a football power house or a destination sport type university. I have alway looked at it as one of those, "If you can qualify there you stand little chance of qualifing any where"!