Montana Recruits 2016

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Montana Recruits 2016

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:44 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:Leaving feet has nothing to do with it. It is all about position. At full speed it is a 50/50 call. One side is going to be pissed. It is the close refs call. Lead always has the call. The Center ref is secondary call.
To be clear, the ref on the right of the screen was trail, not center, and because it was a secondary defender, you're right, it was the lead's call and a good one. He didn't obtain a legal guarding position until Hadley was airborne.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:Agreed, rarely is there one that is agreed with on both sides. I personally would have called a block with the and 1. But I can't fault the ref for his call either.
You bring up a great point about full speed. To be honest I thought it was a good call until the slow-mo view. The ref didn't have that advantage. I'll still maintain that at the level of that game (state title) they should have conferred when the one in the background had block.
At that level the other official shouldn't have made the block motion. He should have just let the lead make the call. He did right in calling the foul, but then he only makes the motion for the call if the lead did not call the foul too. The lead needs to sell that call. Make it so there was no doubt in his mind. The Center actually made it worse by making that block motion. But regardless, it was a nice dunk over a guy. :)
Right. The trail could whistle and signal closed fist but not necessary. This was clearly a secondary defender situation coming right at the lead. His call.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:50 pm

JDoub wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:From what I'm hearing, its looking like Payton O'Reilly will be taking his talents to Miami of Ohio of the MAC conference. If true, good for him and I hope he excels on the gridiron. He was one of my favorite players in this 2016 class. He had that "it" factor.

The best remaining 2016 Montana players on my list:

Chaffin Ross - Whitefish (DE/OLB)
Michael Banna - Missoula Big Sky (FB)
Joe Mueller - Helena High (CB)
Matt Packer - Baker (MLB)
Jayson Leinwand - Billings West (MLB)
Josh McCracken - Kalispell Flathead (RB)
Will Martel - Bozeman (SS)
Chris Park - Whitefish (RB)
Luke Weber - Forsyth (OLB)
Blake Arneson - Columbia Falls (C)

If anyone has any info on where these kids sign or if they even plan on playing college football, let me know.
Good to see Martel on your list, and on the Badlands Bowl roster - he might've been buried a bit on an overloaded Hawk roster. Would love to see Martel play on Martel Field! I grew up with his folks and they were both athletic -- his dad was tough to bring down as a RB. Will's tape shows good instincts and a real motivation to knock a guy's block off. I think he could be a successful walk-on.

I haven't talked with them in a while though, I have no insight if he wants to play college football.
Good call on Martel :)

Glen47
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Glen47 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Weber going to wrestle for Nebraska.Arneson playing for Northern...

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:51 pm

Glen47 wrote:Weber going to wrestle for Nebraska.Arneson playing for Northern...
Had Weber marked down. Thanks for the info on Arneson.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:58 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Glen47 wrote:Weber going to wrestle for Nebraska.Arneson playing for Northern...
I thought Martel was already established as a walk-on next year? I could be remembering wrong, but I thought he was coming to msu

If your left, you aren’t right.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
I thought Martel was already established as a walk-on next year? I could be remembering wrong, but I thought he was coming to msu
He is. Does the front page confuse you? I might have to change it up.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:20 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
He is. Does the front page confuse you? I might have to change it up.
Maybe the comment made by Jdub was made awhile ago so that is what was confusing me, probably my mistake. I didn't go back and read when he initially made it.

If your left, you aren’t right.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:22 am

Yes, my post about Martel was made before he signed as a PWO. If Will Martel wants to, he can work his way into becoming an all conference player IMO. He has great field awareness and anticipation, which will make up for any lack of top end speed. He's got great ball skills, and he hits hard. I think he does need to work on pad level at impact, but that is more of a minor technique adjustment for most guys. He's 6'2" and almost 190, and has a frame to build up to 210 it seems, so maybe SS/Nickel. If he stays at FS, he could be a punisher.

grizpack
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizpack » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:12 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
JDoub wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:From what I'm hearing, its looking like Payton O'Reilly will be taking his talents to Miami of Ohio of the MAC conference. If true, good for him and I hope he excels on the gridiron. He was one of my favorite players in this 2016 class. He had that "it" factor.

The best remaining 2016 Montana players on my list:

Chaffin Ross - Whitefish (DE/OLB)
Michael Banna - Missoula Big Sky (FB)
Joe Mueller - Helena High (CB)
Matt Packer - Baker (MLB)
Jayson Leinwand - Billings West (MLB)
Josh McCracken - Kalispell Flathead (RB)
Will Martel - Bozeman (SS)
Chris Park - Whitefish (RB)
Luke Weber - Forsyth (OLB)
Blake Arneson - Columbia Falls (C)

If anyone has any info on where these kids sign or if they even plan on playing college football, let me know.
Good to see Martel on your list, and on the Badlands Bowl roster - he might've been buried a bit on an overloaded Hawk roster. Would love to see Martel play on Martel Field! I grew up with his folks and they were both athletic -- his dad was tough to bring down as a RB. Will's tape shows good instincts and a real motivation to knock a guy's block off. I think he could be a successful walk-on.

I haven't talked with them in a while though, I have no insight if he wants to play college football.
Good call on Martel :)
I didn't read through the entire thread to see if it had been brought up, but Banna has some "issues" that need to be cleared up before he plays anywhere. Good kid, just making some really dumb decisions.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:25 am

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/744936349426290688 Top (Left to Right): Jacob Hadley, Karl Tucker, Derek Marks, Jered Padmos, Will Martel, and Michael Jobman
Bottom (Left to Right): Sean Opland and Alec Steele

Who is Alec Steele? Alec was a First Team All-State DB and Honorable Mention All-State Receiver from Missoula Sentinel in 2016. He will be trying out for the team in the fall and will likely become a fall walk-on because he should make the roster.

topey711
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by topey711 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:37 pm

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/sports/lo ... bd2d0.html. Here's a link to a good article on all the talented kids in the NW area of Montana. And of course, GO SEAN!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:23 pm

https://twitter.com/CoachBJ_MSU/status/755100708236435456 Denver Krone (Preferred Walk-On), Luke Channer (Preferred Walk-On) and Alec Steele (will tryout in the fall) were also recruits who played.

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:57 pm

VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/CoachBJ_MSU/status/755100708236435456 Denver Krone (Preferred Walk-On), Luke Channer (Preferred Walk-On) and Alec Steele (will tryout in the fall) were also recruits who played.
Talented group of Montana boys there! Hadley was amazing on those deep throws, Sessions is a road grader, marks and jobman were in the backfield all evening, padmos showed he is more than just a kicker, finch and some great tackles and Opland made some plays too.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:01 am

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/ ... /87464316/

Nice write-up on Andrew Grinde. Already turning heads at Yale summer workouts. One quote that jumped out at me reading the article:
Paul Rice, who is an outside linebacker and special teams coach at Yale, headed the recruitment of Grinde, which began roughly 16 months ago. He covers 11 states for recruiting purposes, and the Treasure State is among them. Rice visited C.M. Russell High, met with Grinde and introduced himself to head coach Gary Lowry.

At the time, Grinde was the name, the prized commodity, the sought-after prospect recruiters near and far converged on like ants to a picnic.

“You go to Montana and talk football,” Lett said, “you talk Grinde.”
Just adds more to my opinion of having him as the #1 Montana prospect in 2016. Everyone knew he was strong but he was an underrated athlete.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:06 am

Grinde obviously went to Yale for the academics, because he's too good to play football there. He's above the competition and is going to do really well on the field.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:10 am

Interesting. The exact opposite of what I thought.
While Lett is adamant about Grinde having a chance to play in his freshman season – redshirting is not an option at Ivy League schools

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:49 am

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/763053703037190144 Has a good shot be an early special teams contributor. Would like him to redshirt!

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:06 pm

VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/763053703037190144 Has a good shot be an early special teams contributor. Would like him to redshirt!
We all want him to, he doesn't want to. He wants to play. Surprising, not. Hahahaha

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:11 pm

Bemiller49 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/763053703037190144 Has a good shot be an early special teams contributor. Would like him to redshirt!
We all want him to, he doesn't want to. He wants to play. Surprising, not. Hahahaha
Heck, I think he has a good shot to back up Newell at FB this season, seems perfect fit at FB.