2015 Commitment List

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2015 Commitment List

Post by catatac » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Very interesting that something like 75% of the recruits this far are from Montana. I don't know how many of them are preferred walk ons versus partial versus full ride, but two things come to mind. #1, we have to be killing the Griz this year with in state recruiting, especially with their scholli reductions. #2, are we putting too much focus on MT players? Sorry to open this can of worms back up but historically I think the general thought is that there would be only a handful of legit full schollie D1 players available each year.... probably 5 or less?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:12 pm

catatac wrote:Very interesting that something like 75% of the recruits this far are from Montana. I don't know how many of them are preferred walk ons versus partial versus full ride, but two things come to mind. #1, we have to be killing the Griz this year with in state recruiting, especially with their scholli reductions. #2, are we putting too much focus on MT players? Sorry to open this can of worms back up but historically I think the general thought is that there would be only a handful of legit full schollie D1 players available each year.... probably 5 or less?
Please see Colter's breakdown of who has been offered full, partial, and preferred walk-on spots located in the Recruiting thread at the top of the page.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:14 pm

2 Full-rides and 3 partials so far so that equates to 3.5 scholarships being given to 5 Montana players so far. The other three are preferred walk-ons.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:17 pm

catatac wrote:Very interesting that something like 75% of the recruits this far are from Montana. I don't know how many of them are preferred walk ons versus partial versus full ride, but two things come to mind. #1, we have to be killing the Griz this year with in state recruiting, especially with their scholli reductions. #2, are we putting too much focus on MT players? Sorry to open this can of worms back up but historically I think the general thought is that there would be only a handful of legit full schollie D1 players available each year.... probably 5 or less?
I think we have 50 plus offers. Half of the MT kids are PWO's and are quality "gets".
I think this blend embraces the state of Montana and extends improvement of program to quality out of state kids as well.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:29 pm

VimSince03 wrote:2 Full-rides and 3 partials so far so that equates to 3.5 scholarships being given to 5 Montana players so far. The other three are preferred walk-ons.
So three and a half for eight on in state talent. I think we have somewhere around 20 to give.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm sure the schollie reductions are a factor, but I believe the unsettled coaching situation is also really hurting UM, as per Wilkes' comments. If not for the history and tradition of their program, the coaching vacancy would probably be really killing them on the recruiting trail.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:19 pm

John K wrote:
I'm sure the schollie reductions are a factor, but I believe the unsettled coaching situation is also really hurting UM, as per Wilkes' comments. If not for the history and tradition of their program, the coaching vacancy would probably be really killing them on the recruiting trail.
It's not killing them out of state. Montana has 15 verbals, including five from 3-star recruits and four more from 2-star recruits. The center from Eastside Catholic, Alex Neale, and the defensive end from the same school, Cody Baker, are real-deal recruits. They led Eastside past perennial power Bellevue for the 3A state title.

As far as in-state guys go, Montana offered Daum and Konkol half scholarships. They showed a little interest in Ferriter and Wilkes, but offered nothing. Scarce interest shown to Cozzie and Brott, none for Reitler and Rollins.

grizhunter
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizhunter » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
John K wrote:
It's not killing them out of state. Montana has 15 verbals, including five from 3-star recruits and four more from 2-star recruits. The center from Eastside Catholic, Alex Neale, and the defensive end from the same school, Cody Baker, are real-deal recruits. They led Eastside past perennial power Bellevue for the 3A state title.

As far as in-state guys go, Montana offered Daum and Konkol half scholarships. They showed a little interest in Ferriter and Wilkes, but offered nothing. Scarce interest shown to Cozzie and Brott, none for Reitler and Rollins.
they didn't want them anyway :-^

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:18 pm

grizhunter wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
John K wrote:

:lol:
You can take the boy outta the grizz, but you can't take the grizz outta the boy.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:05 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
grizhunter wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
John K wrote:

You can take the boy outta the grizz, but you can't take the grizz outta the boy.
Your perception of my perceived bias runs thick. But in reality, my bias for the Griz does not exist. It just exists in your mind because you hate them so much.

You can't out recruit a school for an in-state kid that doesn't recruit said kid. In other words, Montana State did not beat Montana for Cozzie. MSU beat Carroll and Tech for Cozzie. I'm just saying until Jesse Sims, Dalton Daum, Holden Ryan are signed, then the in-state recruiting battle cannot be decided in favor of either side. Montana State has certainly won the battle in state the last two years. But I would argue that whoever gets 2-of-3 or 3-of-3 of Daum, Ryan and Simms wins. The rest of the kids are good players but not game-changers right away. MSU got a player along those lines in Grant Collins out of Bozeman High last year. He'll continue to endear himself to Montana State fans for years to come.

In other news, sorry this took me a little while. Marcus is also a basketball player and he had night practice last night then had school today so I just caught up with him a few hours ago.

Butte Central DE Marcus Ferriter commits to Montana State
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Very well said!! Thanks colter for all you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:17 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
grizhunter wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
John K wrote:

He's not wrong. I'd argue the Griz have better top level players in this recruiting class than we do, but we have more depth. At the end, it doesn't matter though. We'll find out in several years if the players pan out or not.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Look at when the Griz dominated, on the field and recruiting. They not only had a long list of Montana players, but they were all at the best players across the state at all level's AA to C. I still believe year after year, they always had guys(from Montana) on either side of the ball that were not only impact players but dominated.

MSU has been winning the recruiting battle by pure numbers, but like Colter said, we need to get 2 of 3 players that will make a impact, those guys who have that ability to start as a freshman.

This year we are getting a larger % of the best players in Montana, which in my mind equally success.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:33 pm

Maybe its just me, but it seems like when MSU gets a bunch of star-rated players, then that "doesn't really mean anything, because those rating systems are flawed and its better to go after in state guys," but the opposite is true if UM gets them. UM just got done doing the Montana county names deal on their hats and doing the Montana Pride, We Are Montana thing and now they're not recruiting Montana very hard. Its hard to hit this moving target. No matter what MSU does, UM wins. The discussion is pointless.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:49 pm

As far as the list of verbals so far is anyone else a little nervous that it seems we are getting more offensive verbals than defense with the large number if defensive guys we lost this year?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:04 am

catgrad05 wrote:As far as the list of verbals so far is anyone else a little nervous that it seems we are getting more offensive verbals than defense with the large number if defensive guys we lost this year?
There's something like 11 players gone on defense and six gone on offense. MSU needs immediate help on defense in the form of transfers and Ash has said he's looking to bring in two mid-year and two after spring (I'll be surprised if that's all). Those players will be the key to this class in terms of how successful the recruiting year is. That in and of itself should be nerve-wracking for any fan. Right now MSU only has a handful of known quality players on defense. There's a handful of promising players, but until spring practices start and they actually materialize, well, it's going to be a long, nail-biting off-season for the defense.

DT looks solid, but all other positions are up in the air.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:17 am

catgrad05 wrote:As far as the list of verbals so far is anyone else a little nervous that it seems we are getting more offensive verbals than defense with the large number if defensive guys we lost this year?
Yup. Noted the same concern earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:50 am

TomCat88 wrote:Maybe its just me, but it seems like when MSU gets a bunch of star-rated players, then that "doesn't really mean anything, because those rating systems are flawed and its better to go after in state guys," but the opposite is true if UM gets them. UM just got done doing the Montana county names deal on their hats and doing the Montana Pride, We Are Montana thing and now they're not recruiting Montana very hard. Its hard to hit this moving target. No matter what MSU does, UM wins. The discussion is pointless.
At this level, stars really don't matter. Film does. They're generally fairly accurate with 5 stars, less so so with 4 stars, and basically everybody else is either a 2-3 star. That's why you watch film. And if you watch the tape and think the Griz don't have some really good recruits, then I don't know what to tell ya.

But like I said earlier, we'll find out in a few years. That's what really matters.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:23 am

I would suspect that there may be some potential de-commits from the Griz class depending on the new coach hire. There may not be! Hopefully, Cat fans realize that the Griz are an extremely competitive program and they won't lie down for too long (in reference to their last two years of recruiting). They WILL get star recruits eventually and that is what makes the rivalry great. Regardless, our class of recruits has followed a trend the past three to four years where we get most of our star recruits after they have made their official visits....IN JANUARY. Last year, everyone was extremely worried about the list around this time as well. Then about 9 guys committed after their early January visit. Those recruits included (Tyrone Fa'anono, Braelen Evans, Bryce Alley, Wade Webster, Justin Paige, Mitch Herbert, etc.). These guys made up a good chunk of our star recruits of last years class! Just remember gentleman, we are a good program, kids want to come here (the mountains play a huge part in recruiting!), we have a special school (engineering, etc.), and a good community. These are things that our best recruits have listed off after their official visits as things that convinced them to come to MSU. We must be patient! However, I would be lying to you if I told you I wasn't checking the recruiting page twice a day for new commits... ](*,) [-o<

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:13 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Maybe its just me, but it seems like when MSU gets a bunch of star-rated players, then that "doesn't really mean anything, because those rating systems are flawed and its better to go after in state guys," but the opposite is true if UM gets them. UM just got done doing the Montana county names deal on their hats and doing the Montana Pride, We Are Montana thing and now they're not recruiting Montana very hard. Its hard to hit this moving target. No matter what MSU does, UM wins. The discussion is pointless.
At this level, stars really don't matter. Film does. They're generally fairly accurate with 5 stars, less so so with 4 stars, and basically everybody else is either a 2-3 star. That's why you watch film. And if you watch the tape and think the Griz don't have some really good recruits, then I don't know what to tell ya.

But like I said earlier, we'll find out in a few years. That's what really matters.
Did I say I don't think the Griz have good recruits? If so, please point that out for me like you did with your breakdown of what the "stars" mean. That was ever so enlightening. :roll:

toM StUber