Which incoming def. player will have the most impact?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Which new defensive player will have the most impact?

Eddie Smith
45%
Andy Matakis
36%
Corky Lindsay
9%
Other
9%

Total votes: 22

ecat
New Recruit

Which incoming def. player will have the most impact?

Post by ecat » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:07 pm

What do you think and why?

Matakis will have the biggest impact. He (and the rest of the line) will keep pressure on the opposing quarterback, thus making things much easier for Smith and Lindsay. Hopefully he can learn the position quickly and be ready to lead the league in sacks. The key to the defense this year will be the front seven.
Last edited by ecat on Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catdad39
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catdad39 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:13 pm

The Bobcat defense is predicated on having a shut-down corner. Without that ability, the whole philosophy changes. Therefore, by design, I think it has to be Eddie Smith, or we could be in trouble. It is a great question!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:51 am

The defense is also predicated on pressure from the ends, therefore one compliments the other. Whichever player Smith or Matakis does his job the best will have the biggest impact.

2024 Resume dominance

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:44 am

Catdad39 wrote:The Bobcat defense is predicated on having a shut-down corner. Without that ability, the whole philosophy changes. Therefore, by design, I think it has to be Eddie Smith, or we could be in trouble. It is a great question!
Those were my thoughts also Catdad. I hope both of them come out strong this year.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:45 am

My thinking it has to be Matakis. The quicker the d-line can pressure the QB (without special blitzes) the more mistakes a QB is going to make. This D-Line has the potentail to have two double digit sack producers this year. Matakis I think for sure will have double digits as well as either Lowe or Gluhm.

Coaches are going to test Smith early on. It will be up to the d-line to ease his tansition to playing Big Sky Football. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a good one for us, I just think that the transition will be a little tougher for him than Matakis.

GO CATS!!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:11 am

I'm thinking both are gonna be studs (Matakis and Smith) ... they will compliment each other nicely. Matakis collapses the pocket while Smith uses his speed to jump early on the ball (INT - other way for a TD).

GO CATS!

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:53 am

I talked to one of the coaches the other day and he said that if Eddie plays like they they think he can, then we should have no problem filling the shoes of Joey. He could even turn out to be better than Joey when it's all said and done.

I've also heard whispers of another big time DB transfer coming in, anyone else heard of this?

I finally saw some tape of Chaz Guinn and the guy looks amazing. He goes after the ball wherever it is thrown; and on a few of the catches he made he must have been completely parallel to the ground. Now that Gatewood is ready to rock, and a fire has been lit under Sullivan and Co. we should have a rec corps that is hungry and ready for a breakout year.

I haven't seen anything film of Matakis, but the guy sounds like he could be the anchor of our D-line this year. I agree that we could have two, maybe even three double-digit sack guys.

And who isn't jacked about the sudden depth we have at RB?

I'll tell you what, if these guys bust their butts this offseason, we could be
in store for something great this fall.

Catdad39
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catdad39 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:30 pm

It is awesome that, in early July, so many Bobcat fans have read this topic and replied. I am exited to see Matakis and he will definitely help. However, I must reiterate that our defensive philosophy leaves that corner on an island, without safety help. If a corner is not able to lock down and run with a "burner", the opposing quarterback will take a 5-step drop and let it fly before ANY defensive player can get there. Northern Iowa did this to us when Joey had to leave the game due to an injury and they scored on a huge play. I thought it was the turning point of the game. I love the fact that we pressure the quarterback, but we HAVE to be able to match up with the outside receivers or its all over! I think we could be tough on defense again with these "key" additions!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:42 pm

GavinDonos wrote:I talked to one of the coaches the other day and he said that if Eddie plays like they they think he can, then we should have no problem filling the shoes of Joey. He could even turn out to be better than Joey when it's all said and done.

I've also heard whispers of another big time DB transfer coming in, anyone else heard of this?

I finally saw some tape of Chaz Guinn and the guy looks amazing. He goes after the ball wherever it is thrown; and on a few of the catches he made he must have been completely parallel to the ground. Now that Gatewood is ready to rock, and a fire has been lit under Sullivan and Co. we should have a rec corps that is hungry and ready for a breakout year.

I haven't seen anything film of Matakis, but the guy sounds like he could be the anchor of our D-line this year. I agree that we could have two, maybe even three double-digit sack guys.

And who isn't jacked about the sudden depth we have at RB?

I'll tell you what, if these guys bust their butts this offseason, we could be
in store for something great this fall.
Ditto. Visiting with another Bobcat fan at a BBQ last night, and we came to the conclusion that assuming we solidify the O-Line, (Which I'm confident in, given Kramer's focus on it!) this will be Lulay's breakout year. Not that he hasn't done incredible things already, but he has the talent, smarts, and feel for the game to really erupt, now that it looks like the receiving and running game will be there. We're talking 20+ TD's, 70% completion rate, etc. Should be a blast to watch this fall, counting the days!!!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

4dcats
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 4dcats » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:47 am

Does anyone know when Andy M. will be getting to Bozeman, or is he already here?