Greenbay / Joey Thomas news

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Greenbay / Joey Thomas news

Post by mslacat » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:34 am

Found this on a NFL site.

Green Bay Packers
The Packers selected two cornerbacks in the 2004 draft: Arkansas' Ahmad Carroll in the first round and Montana State's Joey Thomas in the third.

In the post-draft mini-camp, Carroll gave too much cushion to receivers, looked sluggish coming out of his turns and was overshadowed by Thomas.

In the June mini-camp, Carroll showed improvement and closed the gap on Thomas. He covered more closely and showed that at the very least he should be in the dime defense.

"I think he has drastically improved from the first time he got in here," director of college scouting John Dorsey said. "He's starting to get it."

Carroll, who stands 5-9 1/2, is the shortest cornerback in Green Bay since Terrell Buckley from 1992-'94.

What the Packers haven't seen from Carroll is an ability to finish plays on a consistent basis. But Dorsey figures that should come as his technique becomes refined.

"What he needs to do is gain a little confidence and be able to close at the end," Dorsey said. "Utilize his speed."

Thomas has the size (6-1, 195) that the Packers much prefer to go with good, not great speed. He had bright moments in both minicamps but still is very much a work in progress.

"Joey has to utilize those long features: the arms, the body," Dorsey said. "You can start to see him do that."

The Packers struck it rich in the first round a year ago when Nick Barnett took the middle linebacker job and ran with it. Barnett was the 29th pick. Carroll was drafted No. 25.

Will Carroll be another Barnett? Meaning, if Mike McKenzie doesn't return, is Carroll capable of starting across from Al Harris?

"We started making those assumptions when the pads went on," Dorsey said, referring to projections for Barnett. "I think you have to wait for that, too. But it's unfair to compare him (to Carroll and Thomas) because he's such a unique animal. Do they have the drive and wannabe to be like him? Yeah. But do they have his feel and instincts? Barnett had an innate feel."

Notes, quotes, anecdotes
--The Packers didn't get the length of contract they wanted but at least they did get their desired quarterback.

After a three-month flirtation former Browns starter Tim Couch signed a one-year deal rather than the two-year arrangement that the Packers preferred. He reportedly received a $625,000 signing bonus and a $625,000 base salary in 2004. The deal also contains incentives to compensate Couch if he should start for Brett Favre.

--The Packers' final mini-camp was marred by the absence of cornerback Mike McKenzie and the abbreviated appearances put in by defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt and running back Ahman Green.

Perhaps as a result, coach Mike Sherman seemed even more communicative than normal. He also was noticeably more visible in the locker room, spending plenty of time talking to veteran players.

Sherman disputed the idea that there was dissension in the ranks.

"This was a non-mandatory camp, No. 1," Sherman said. "I do tell them, 'If you're not here, I'm disappointed. I expect you to be here.'

"Is there rebellion? We've had maybe two people miss in four years since I've been here. In past years people have missed and great players have missed, so I wouldn't make any more out of that. It's unfortunate. Things come up; if they disappoint me, they know how I stand on that."

QUOTE TO NOTE
"I understand that my career is year to year, and now maybe training camp to training camp, but I'm not going to worry about it. It's been that way for 14 training camps. For a guy who was never drafted, to be in this league and have a 12-year career, I can't complain about that." - QB Doug Pederson.

Strategy and personnel
The Packers signed former Arizona tight end Steve Bush but aren't done looking for another solid backup.

Mikhael Ricks, the starter in Detroit the last two seasons, visited the Packers Monday and Tuesday and then headed for New York and a visit with the Jets. The Packers are seeking a complement to Bubba Franks and David Martin.

"I'm OK with being a role player now, and, hopefully, get an opportunity to play and contribute," Ricks said.

bronco
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bronco » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:20 am

Now that he's not covering Griz receivers anymore I wish him all the best and hope he makes the team. I love it when I hear the starting line up on Monday night football and there is usually a 1AA player announced on both sides of the ball on both teams. Good for all 1AA.