ESPN - Joe O'Brien

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: ESPN - Joe O'Brien

Post by John K » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:15 pm

suptscott wrote:Joe did not leave Simms on good terms. Plenty of issues...I don't think anybody questioned his football knowledge or ability to get kids to play hard. However, his demeanor did not always fit a high school setting. To much foul language, ego, and personality for the high school level. I admire him for having the convictions to fight public opinion and get the job. He just did not have the personality to be a small town coach. After talking to a parent of one of the players, the words "spoiled rotten pre madonna with a foul mouth" was a direct quote. CMR won't touch him with a 10 foot pole.
If that's accurate, then his coaching career is probably over. Addictive behavior is often just a manifestation of deeper personal issues within an individual, and those issues usually remain with the person, even if/when they conquer their primary addiction. It would be a shame, because he seemed to have the potential to be a great coach, but if he couldn't make it work at a Montana Class C high school, it's doubtful that he'll ever get a chance at a higher level.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:23 pm

John K wrote:
suptscott wrote:Joe did not leave Simms on good terms. Plenty of issues...I don't think anybody questioned his football knowledge or ability to get kids to play hard. However, his demeanor did not always fit a high school setting. To much foul language, ego, and personality for the high school level. I admire him for having the convictions to fight public opinion and get the job. He just did not have the personality to be a small town coach. After talking to a parent of one of the players, the words "spoiled rotten pre madonna with a foul mouth" was a direct quote. CMR won't touch him with a 10 foot pole.
If that's accurate, then his coaching career is probably over. Addictive behavior is often just a manifestation of deeper personal issues within an individual, and those issues usually remain with the person, even if/when they conquer their primary addiction. It would be a shame, because he seemed to have the potential to be a great coach, but if he couldn't make it work at a Montana Class C high school, it's doubtful that he'll ever get a chance at a higher level.
Not many HSs tolerate that. Even if you win a lot.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Maybe there's an easy answer and this has been discussed, but would Kramer ever give him a shot? I would think he could make it again at the college level, just not high school.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:03 pm

John K wrote:
While I sympathize with your attitude towards Joe and the charactorization of his behavior as "addictive", sometimes people are just dicks.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:06 pm

Rich K wrote:
John K wrote:
While I sympathize with your attitude towards Joe and the charactorization of his behavior as "addictive", sometimes people are just dicks.
They are what are called "dry drunks." People tend to attribute all the negative characteristics to the substance they were abusing. They assume once they are clean and sober that they will be a different person. Truth is a jerk is a jerk dry or sober. Not referring to O'Brien, because I don't know him. Just have a lot of experience with the rehab process. He won't even get an interview at CMR.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:24 pm

I was thinking that his leaving Simms after only one year, a program that let him back into coaching, was a red flag in itself - guess this could explain it.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

basincat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by basincat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:56 pm

grizatwork wrote:
Rich K wrote:
John K wrote:
They are what are called "dry drunks." People tend to attribute all the negative characteristics to the substance they were abusing. They assume once they are clean and sober that they will be a different person. Truth is a jerk is a jerk dry or sober. Not referring to O'Brien, because I don't know him. Just have a lot of experience with the rehab process. He won't even get an interview at CMR.

Although I have nothing to back it up, I highly doubt what the parent said was an accurate description of Joe. To think someone who has been where he has been and gone to jail is spoiled or a pre madonna is far fetched. Far more likely is that the parents at Simms aren't as serious about football as him. His style I'm sure is far more suited for a big school where the kids that are on the team are kids that want to be there and are willing to work in season and out of it and can take discipline. In a small town, you don't always get that. And the parents are by far the worst part about small town athletics. They all think their kid is the best, and they all think they know what is suppose to happen when half of them don't know what they are talking about and don't really care anyway. There are towns with tradition and great coaches and they run the program like that and that's why they traditionally win. But for a town like Simms that has struggled forever, the majority of them could care less about winning and discipline. It's all about fun and games and everyone gets a trophy.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:01 pm

I think Joe could really thrive at a place like MSU northern up in Havre

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:47 pm

wbtfg wrote:I think Joe could really thrive at a place like MSU northern up in Havre
I wouldn't be around Sampson if you paid me.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

FBCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by FBCat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:53 pm

basincat wrote:
grizatwork wrote:
Rich K wrote:
John K wrote:

Although I have nothing to back it up, I highly doubt what the parent said was an accurate description of Joe. To think someone who has been where he has been and gone to jail is spoiled or a pre madonna is far fetched. Far more likely is that the parents at Simms aren't as serious about football as him. His style I'm sure is far more suited for a big school where the kids that are on the team are kids that want to be there and are willing to work in season and out of it and can take discipline. In a small town, you don't always get that. And the parents are by far the worst part about small town athletics. They all think their kid is the best, and they all think they know what is suppose to happen when half of them don't know what they are talking about and don't really care anyway. There are towns with tradition and great coaches and they run the program like that and that's why they traditionally win. But for a town like Simms that has struggled forever, the majority of them could care less about winning and discipline. It's all about fun and games and everyone gets a trophy.

No, I've heard similar stories about him from very good sources. They are true. His style doesn't work in Montana high school football.

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:47 pm

FBCat wrote:
basincat wrote:
grizatwork wrote:
Rich K wrote:
John K wrote:

No, I've heard similar stories about him from very good sources. They are true. His style doesn't work in Montana high school football.
....and that he allegedly was involved in the same type of situation that was going on in Manhattan......allegedly. I was really rooting for him....all he had to do was go in there as a humble human and mind his p's and q's...I think he would have been fine......didn't happen.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:45 pm

basincat wrote:
grizatwork wrote:
Rich K wrote:
John K wrote:

I know I'm being the grammar nazi, but FYI it's Prima Donna (it's Italian)

pri·ma don·na

1: a principal female singer in an opera or concert organization
2: a vain or undisciplined person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team

Carry on.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:09 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but I don't care who the heck applies for the CMR job - if Lowry isn't the next head coach I will quit going to the games. The man has more than put in his time and deserves a shot.

grizatwork

Post by grizatwork » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:53 pm

Clinton T wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but I don't care who the heck applies for the CMR job - if Lowry isn't the next head coach I will quit going to the games. The man has more than put in his time and deserves a shot.
He has been hand picked by Jack to have the job. Jack has a lot of say still. I would be surprised if it were anyone else but him.

Kind of old cat
New Recruit

Post by Kind of old cat » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:31 pm

I wish him well. There are former and present athletes with much worse pasts than Coach O'Brien back in their chosen fields. Throw the first stone.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:23 pm

Kind of old cat wrote:I wish him well. There are former and present athletes with much worse pasts than Coach O'Brien back in their chosen fields. Throw the first stone.
And that somehow justifies his behavior? I'll throw the stone - the day he starts getting a check from MSU or any other school I support is the last day they see any support from me.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:42 pm

People that deserve 2nd chances:

Players- most of the time, yes

Meth dealing coaches- hell no

FTG- GO CATS GO!

grizatwork

Post by grizatwork » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:12 pm

mslacatfan wrote:People that deserve 2nd chances:

Players- most of the time, yes

Meth dealing coaches- hell no
I don't have a dog in the race, but look at his interview with the Great Falls TV station. He talks about how he already paid his debt and deserves forgiveness. I just get a bad , slimy vibe from him. He left Simms so quick. Either he was in a hurry to leave Simms or vice versa. Something is off.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 am

He presented himself as being humbled before, not it comes across as entitled.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Cheshire-CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cheshire-CAT » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Wow - finally watched that interview. All I heard was "I, I, I, I, I, I, I . . ."
allcat wrote:He presented himself as being humbled before, not it comes across as entitled.
I think the key word here is "presented," total fabrication. The man hasn't a humble bone in his body.

He comes off as smarmy and incredibly self-centered.

BLUE and GOLD all the way!