ESPN - Joe O'Brien

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: ESPN - Joe O'Brien

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed May 04, 2022 9:58 am

I know a kid who's going there to play next year. He says they barely had enough players to do spring ball this year. Honestly I don't know if that means they had 30 kids or 60 kids, but they have a lot of spots to fill. If a Big Sky team would have gotten Souers and O'Brien on a coaching staff 20 years ago it would've been a really good start to a really good staff. Steve Broussard, who played 9 years in the NFL, is their offensive coordinator. Tim Davis, who was the OL coach at NAU, Florida, Utah, USC, and the Miami Dolphins, is their OL coach. I'm pulling for Northern to put something together here. I think O'Brien deserves a chance to coach, and I think Souers can still get it done. Havre isn't the easiest place to recruit to, but in terms of experience and name recognition, they have more than most BSC coaching staffs.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed May 04, 2022 10:00 am

They had a major house cleaning! Sounds like it was needed.

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Wed May 04, 2022 2:57 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:58 am
I know a kid who's going there to play next year. He says they barely had enough players to do spring ball this year. Honestly I don't know if that means they had 30 kids or 60 kids, but they have a lot of spots to fill. If a Big Sky team would have gotten Souers and O'Brien on a coaching staff 20 years ago it would've been a really good start to a really good staff. Steve Broussard, who played 9 years in the NFL, is their offensive coordinator. Tim Davis, who was the OL coach at NAU, Florida, Utah, USC, and the Miami Dolphins, is their OL coach. I'm pulling for Northern to put something together here. I think O'Brien deserves a chance to coach, and I think Souers can still get it done. Havre isn't the easiest place to recruit to, but in terms of experience and name recognition, they have more than most BSC coaching staffs.
Are you saying that telling 18 year olds from Texas “Havre has it!”isn’t getting the recruiting job done?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed May 04, 2022 3:44 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:57 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Are you saying that telling 18 year olds from Texas “Havre has it!”isn’t getting the recruiting job done?
How about cold enough? Or spitting distance to Canada? Or oh, not much of a breeze today (50 mph)

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed May 04, 2022 6:38 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
I'm saying it's a tough sell even for a kid from Montana!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed May 04, 2022 8:41 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 6:38 pm
BStinsMSU wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
I'm saying it's a tough sell even for a kid from Montana!
Yep. But hey, they at least have Bear Paw Snow Bowl!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed May 04, 2022 9:15 pm

Limited degrees offered, many are 2 year programs, tough to get to, really hard to keep kids 4-5 years.

Sports is not bigger than life

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu May 05, 2022 8:47 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:05 pm
I think its great. I truly think he has paid his debt to society at this time, but he will always have a cloud over his head. I mean look we hired a coach with a DUI on his record. We all do stupid stuff in life and his was extremely stupid, but at sometime you gotta think people learn from their mistakes and grow up. I have known Joe only after all this stuff and had met him several times before realizing his story and what went on and such. He is a true family man that would give anything for his kids. I hope that he gets a chance someday to climb back up the ranks a little and I know it won't happen here unfortunately. Good luck to him and Jerome as they have their work cut out for them up in Havre.
In all fairness; selling meth is WAY worse than getting a DUI.

As a Northern fan would I have a problem with this hire; probably not because I would agree he has paid his due.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu May 05, 2022 10:30 am

The Butcher wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:47 am
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
I think its great. I truly think he has paid his debt to society at this time, but he will always have a cloud over his head. I mean look we hired a coach with a DUI on his record. We all do stupid stuff in life and his was extremely stupid, but at sometime you gotta think people learn from their mistakes and grow up. I have known Joe only after all this stuff and had met him several times before realizing his story and what went on and such. He is a true family man that would give anything for his kids. I hope that he gets a chance someday to climb back up the ranks a little and I know it won't happen here unfortunately. Good luck to him and Jerome as they have their work cut out for them up in Havre.

As a Northern fan would I have a problem with this hire; probably not because I would agree he has paid his due.
Who knows, enough meth users on The high line they may start going to games and support him.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu May 05, 2022 10:52 am

The Butcher wrote:
GrizgradCatFan wrote:

Such a "Montana" thought process. I'm guessing the families of people killed by drunk drivers would think it's every bit as bad as a person selling meth. :-k

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu May 05, 2022 12:44 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:52 am
The Butcher wrote:
GrizgradCatFan wrote:

Such a "Montana" thought process. I'm guessing the families of people killed by drunk drivers would think it's every bit as bad as a person selling meth. :-k
If the legal punishment is any clue, then he is right - selling meth is much worse than getting a DUI (assuming first offense for each).

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu May 05, 2022 12:51 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:44 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
GrizgradCatFan wrote:

If the legal punishment is any clue, then he is right - selling meth is much worse than getting a DUI (assuming first offense for each).
And I think if you put yourself in a parent's shoes it's pretty different too. If I'm making a decision on where to send my kid to college and I hear a coach at one place has a DUI and a coach at the other place was convicted of selling meth, I'd venture to guess most would not see those two things exactly the same. And maybe that's wrong, but I don't think it's limited to Montana.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu May 05, 2022 1:07 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:44 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
GrizgradCatFan wrote:

This is a valid point. And while I don't want to open a can or worms, my personal opinion is we have WAY too many people locked up for drug offenses and we're not NEARLY hard enough on DUI offenses. But that is another topic all together.

I guess my point was both offenses are wrong, and both can lead to death. In that case they are equal.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu May 05, 2022 2:19 pm

Here's what I find interesting. The local detention center allows volunteers to bring Bible studies and AA and NA meetings into the facility, provided the volunteer can pass a background check. Here's what I can positively conclude from public available documents: Joe O'Brien would not be allowed to bring in any of these volunteer services into the facility because he would fail the background check. Good thing he's allowed around college students.

In general there are two types of crimes, misdemeanors and felonies. In my mind a misdemeanor is reserved for what might be considered a lapse in thinking or a bad one time decision. Felonies requires some "work". Joe's felonious behavior(s) put him in a position that trust ought to be given only after serious thought.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act