A little game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

A little game

Post by mslacat » Wed May 12, 2004 9:05 am

Guess which one came from the local paper and guess which one was written by the sports information director of a school published perbatum but cedited with the by line: from the newspapers staff .

Artical #1
Montana State men's basketball coach Mick Durham continued to rebuild his backcourt Tuesday with the addition of Ja'Ron Jefferson, a guard who earned Junior College All-American honors this season at Rose State (Okla.) College.

Durham, who signed heralded combo guard Branden Miller of Colby (Kansas) Community College last fall, said Jefferson will vie for playing time next season with Miller and MSU starting point guard Frank Brown, who will be a junior.

"We felt it might take two guys to replace Jason Erickson," said Durham, referring to the graduated MSU superstar guard.

Erickson was a two-time All-Big Sky Conference performer who started for most of his four years in Bozeman and last season averaged 17 points and a league-high 38 minutes per game.

Jefferson, a 6-foot-1, 180-pounder, averaged 15 points, seven rebounds, four assists and two steals at Rose State. He was named to the National Junior College Athletic Association Division II All-America squad as a second-team selection.

"Ja'Ron, I just think he's a great fit for us," Durham said. "He plays bigger than he is, he's strong and he's got a good mid-range game."

Durham said his three guards are fine players for different reasons.

"Branden Miller brings us 3-pointers and Frank brings us a burst to take it to the hole," Durham said. "Ja'Ron has the mid-game, the post-up game and the ability to shoot off the dribble. That's what I really like about him."

Durham also recently signed 6-6, 230-pound power forward Marvin Moss of West Hills (Calif.) Junior College. And because the NCAA has rescinded the so-called "5-8 rule," which limited teams to five scholarship recruits in any one year and no more than eight in a two-year period, the Bobcats aren't done recruiting.

The Cats had only 10 players on scholarship last year, three less than is allowed, and lost Erickson and three other scholarship seniors to graduation. When the "5-8 rule" was scrapped, it put Durham in position to sign as many as seven players. Under the old rules he'd have been able to add only three recruits.

Durham said he hopes to sign three of four more athletes in the coming days, but that he's especially pleased with his recruiting so far.

"We're trying to improve our talent level and our quickness, and I think we've done that," said Durham, whose 107 Big Sky victories and 217 triumphs at Montana State are league records. "Marvin Moss was our top (targeted recruit) inside. ... He played center but he's got power forward skills in that he can go outside. I think he's got a great upside.

"Ja'Ron Jefferson does, too. He's a great kid and and a great leader."

Meanwhile, Durham said he is close to finalizing MSU's 2004-05 schedule.

The Bobcats will open the season Nov. 19 at Washington State before traveling to Hawaii for a tournament over Thanksgiving weekend. The Cats face difficult nonconference road tests at San Jose State and Colorado State, take on Wisconsin-Green Bay in Bozeman, and are slated to meet the Wyoming Cowboys in Billings.
Artical #2
The Montana State basketball program became more versatile Tuesday, adding combination guard Ja'Ron Jefferson from the Oklahoma junior college ranks.

Jefferson, a 6-foot-1, 180-pound guard from Rose State College in Oklahoma, has signed a National Letter-of-Intent to join the Bobcat men's team next fall. Jefferson, who can play point or shooting guard, averaged 15 points, seven rebounds, four assists, and two steals a game at Rose.

"Ja'Ron played both the point and two-guard positions for us, so he's considered a combo guard," Rose coach Calvin Pierce said. "He has a great work ethic. I've been coaching for 18 years, and Ja'Ron would win the award as the hardest working student-athlete I've ever had.

"He loves being in the gym, and he does a great job in the classroom. He's a very intelligent kid with great character."

Pierce also lauded Jefferson's offensive versatility.

"He can hit the three, but he's so strong that when he goes to the hole, the only way to stop him is to foul him," the coach said. "He can score outside, and also take it to the basket."

MSU coach Mick Durham is certainly pleased to get a guard with some college-level experience since All-Big Sky Conference standout Jason Erickson has graduated.

"Ja'Ron can do a lot of things, and I think his stats prove that out," Durham said. "He can score and rebound. He's a very good defensive player because he's so strong. He will give us a lot of versatility, and he makes our backcourt very athletic and pretty deep.

"He's kind of an in-between guard - strong enough to post up and he can knock down a three-pointer," Durham added. "He's a player that can do what the team needs him to do. He's a great person off the court, and we think Ja'Ron is going to fit in very well."

Jefferson is the third player the Bobcats have signed for the 2004-05 season, joining guard Branden Miller and forward Marvin Moss.
Answer: see Links
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/news/s ... 01982.html
http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articl ... zsprts.txt
Last edited by mslacat on Wed May 12, 2004 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:18 am

at least there was something in the Comical :wink:

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed May 12, 2004 12:27 pm

Mslacat has been a bad boy today!
OK, I may have stirred a hornets nest! I read the Great Falls paper today and then checked out the Bozeman Chronicle. Once again I was tickled pink with Mansch's article on Jefferson, But the Chronicle just regurgitated MSU's S.I.D. Bill Lamberty's press release. I was a little irritated so I sent my little quiz to the editor of the Chronicle. I am not sure he got my point about the quality of the two pieces but I am afraid I may have caused some problems Bozeman way.

The following responce was sent back:
Robert,
Thanks for the heads up. I generally don't read the MSU web site
each day so the odds are very good that I would not have noticed this
without you alerting me. I have sent Peter Fields an email asking for a
little more information before I proceed. Thanks again,
Rick Weaver
I guess I found one way to get through, but.................

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed May 12, 2004 1:13 pm

Good work... the uncredited regurgitations of Lamberty's articles that appear from time to time in the Chronicle have been bugging me for a while. They've been doing them since at least last football season.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu May 13, 2004 9:18 am

Interesting work Mslacat.
The byline on this morning's article is "MSU Sports Information"

http://www.bozemanchronicle.com/article ... zsprts.txt

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu May 13, 2004 9:36 am

I guess it is one step at a time, but would have hurt to make one phone call to Durham.
BTW the internet version of the Trib did not have any write up on the two signings, does this mean that the Comical scooped Mansch. That would be a first!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu May 13, 2004 9:58 am

I did find it interesting that while the byline for this morning's article was correct, there was no apology or retraction for the many articles they have ripped off in the last year or so.

Hey mslacat, now that you seem to have the Editor's ear on something, try sending him this link: http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatboard ... .php?t=229 so he can get a small feeling for how bobcat fans really feel about his paper and their coverage.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu May 13, 2004 12:37 pm

I don't think the Chronicle needs to be 'attacked.' But they should be worked with to correct these issues. I think they have capable writers, but the writers get their direction from the managing editor and publisher. I mentioned before that many of the upper management people at the Chronicle are pro-UM. They were seen at last Cat-Griz sporting Griz gear.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu May 13, 2004 1:11 pm

To be honest I agree with that no one should be attacted (with noted exceptions to Rush Limbuagh, ang Gov. Marts) but my purpose was mainly to try to let them understand that a paper 200 or so miles away was doing their job better. The secondary issue was the "by line" issue. MSU know what is going on and is just happy to see anything in print concerning Bobcat athletics. I decided to go to the editor basically because I reallly did not think I would get any where with the reporters directly, under the theory that they are doing the best job they can under the circumstances. If change need to happen it needs to happen because the management wants it to happen!