SAY IT AINT SO!!! (Note: Hoax!)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Viva Los Gatos
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: SAY IT AINT SO!!!

Post by Viva Los Gatos » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:36 pm

canyoncat wrote:Actually there were some players during the Kramer era that did transfer up. There was an O-Lineman (can't remember his name, but started with an A) that transfered to Colorado State and was a starter. Lamata (sp?) a DT transfered to Arizona State after he left MSU to go on a mission and became a starter for them. There was also a big DT from Kramer's first year that transfered (I think his first name was Willie) I am pretty sure to a PAC 10 School after playing his true freshman year. Also, Jason Goodman tried to walk on with Washington. What all these guys have in common though is they played their true fresman year, so they had their redshirt year to use to sit out where DMac doesn't. There was also a griz DB that transfered to I think Boise State (Chote?).

It can happen, I just hope it doesn't in this case. DMac has a chance to become a legend here at MSU if he wants.
I remember eric laumatia and william koffe. Not sure what happened to laumatia after he left for his mission, but koffe ended up as a starting d-lineman for arizona state. Don't remember the CSU guy at all.
Last edited by Viva Los Gatos on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Viva Los Gatos wrote:
canyoncat wrote:Actually there were some players during the Kramer era that did transfer up. There was an O-Lineman (can't remember his name, but started with an A) that transfered to Colorado State and was a starter. Lamata (sp?) a DT transfered to Arizona State after he left MSU to go on a mission and became a starter for them. There was also a big DT from Kramer's first year that transfered (I think his first name was Willie) I am pretty sure to a PAC 10 School after playing his true freshman year. Also, Jason Goodman tried to walk on with Washington. What all these guys have in common though is they played their true fresman year, so they had their redshirt year to use to sit out where DMac doesn't. There was also a griz DB that transfered to I think Boise State (Chote?).

It can happen, I just hope it doesn't in this case. DMac has a chance to become a legend here at MSU if he wants.
I remember eric laumatia and william koffe. Not sure what happened to laumatia after he left for his mission, but koffe ended up as a starting d-lineman for arizona state. Don't remember the CSU guy at all.
You are correct, I was mixing up Laumatia and Koffe. The O-Lineman I think was in Cliffs last class and transfered after playing a year under Kramer. I just can't remember his name, but do remember it started with the letter A because it was a mouth full to say it. I am also thinking of another DT that played under Kramer during his first or second year. Played as a true frosh, but left and I do believe transfered up some where. Great big kid!

GO CATS!!!

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:42 pm

No doubt that he can play at that level. There is also little doubt that he will START here next year. It would take tremendous confidence in one's self, and the willingness to risk not ever getting into the game again, to make a move like this. Homesickness just doesn't make sense to me. Nor does TCU.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

topshelfthepuck
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by topshelfthepuck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:21 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:I hope it's just someone messing with the Gazette board.

McGhee has said that he wants to win championships, and that's why he chose MSU over Air Force - Air Force is in the same conf as TCU, and while TCU has a chance of breaking into the BCS Championship game, it's still unlikely.

But as mentioned, I'm sure there would be other factors involved.

I'm with HelenaCat on the point that it is someone messing around. After all, if the poster is such a TCU fan wouldn't you think he would know his teams QB's name? The Horned Frogs QB name is Andy Dalton, not Daulton. The kid has been their star player for the past two years and I would hope all Cats fans would know our star players name.

GFCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GFCatFan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:39 pm

I hope this isn't true but it's been my biggest fear since I watched his first game - he can play at the next level. And if we're talking TCU - not to shabby of a program w/ semi-national prominence close to home. Please stay Denarius.
Last edited by GFCatFan on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:Cheese and rice! That would break my heart. But anything is possible since we as fans know little to nothing of what is actually occurring - if anything.

Certainly an argument can be made for playing closer to home in a chance to paly in front of more family and friends. But looking at who TCU has used for QBs that last several years, McGhee does not fit that profile. Dalton is what? 6'2"? McGhee is 5'11"? Never mind the fact that he was overlooked by several major schools due to his stature and being part of a run-heavy offense in high school.

The cynic in me says that while McGhee says he likes it here, it very much could be good PR on his part.

The last thing I think of is how many notable transfers have gone to the FBS from the FCS and had success as theorized by a move to TCU?
Here, let me help everyone out since they can't seem to read all the posts. Key points in BOLD.
:D
Last edited by Bobcat Sig on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:42 pm

canyoncat wrote:
Viva Los Gatos wrote:

You are correct, I was mixing up Laumatia and Koffe. The O-Lineman I think was in Cliffs last class and transfered after playing a year under Kramer. I just can't remember his name, but do remember it started with the letter A because it was a mouth full to say it. I am also thinking of another DT that played under Kramer during his first or second year. Played as a true frosh, but left and I do believe transfered up some where. Great big kid!
Jamie Amicarillo or something very similar. He started at CSU for 2 or 3 years.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Whisky_Ditch

Post by Whisky_Ditch » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:48 pm

I'm pretty sure they were exempt, because they left when the new coach came in.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

cat_stache_fever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by cat_stache_fever » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:13 pm

Cats15 wrote:I was reading an article on McGee in the Billings Gazzette and read through some of the discussions and this is what one TCU fan wrote
Not to burst the cats fans bubble, but I have heard from several good sources, that McGhee is seriously considering transfering up to TCU next year. His uncle, clay jennings, is an assistant there and we don't have much for quarterbacks after Daulton graduates. Fort worth is a half hour from his hometown and I think we might get him back to the area, that's the word out here anyway. Your loss would be our gain. It's possible to have "too good" of a freshman year, for the fans anyway.
What is the chances of the actually happening!? I hope .0000001%

here is the article http://billingsgazette.com/sports/colle ... 03286.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
complete and total BS. do you REALLY believe TCU, the #4 team in the nation, is SO thin at the QB postition they are looking for a 1-AA to transfer up?
c'mon fellas...

well.......we gonna pitch it!
"we gonna put something/somebody(?) on they ass...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXf-VrzznY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:49 pm

This just doesn't make sense. Why now, why not when he was coming out of high school?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Potomac Griz

Post by Potomac Griz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:54 pm

CPACAT wrote:When was the last time you saw a player move up rather than down?
I can think of three Griz players just off the top of my head that moved up (two took the JC route for a year to move up). I"m sure there are others too that I just can't remember right now.
Lyle Brown, Jeff Shoate, and Jamaine Olson.

Not saying McGhee is going to move up, but it's definitely not unheard of. I hope he stays put. That'd obviously be a pretty big blow to the Cats if he were to transfer.

D-Wreck

Post by D-Wreck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:12 pm

TCU currently has 6 quarterbacks listed on their roster:
Rick Settle 5-11 205 QB RS FR
Casey Pachall 6-4 208 QB FR (Rivals 4-star recruit)
Sam Carter 6-0 205 QB FR (Rivals No. 23 dual threat QB)
Matt Brown 6-1 185 QB FR (Ranked by Rivals.com as the No. 11 dual-threat quarterback in the country as well as the nation's fourth-best scrambling quarterback)
Yogi Gallegos 6-1 208 QB SO
Andy Dalton 6-3 220 QB SR

That's a lot of young talent D-Mac would be competing with for playing time. I'm not saying he's not capable, but I don't see how going to TCU would improve his football situation at all.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:15 pm

In addition to not knowing how to spell "his" quarterback's name, the poster also addresses the Bobcat fans as "cat" fans (which is quite familiar ... a TCU fan from Texas wouldn't likely use that nomenclature) and writes it in a way that seems to be trying to stick it to Cat fans more than a bona fide TCU fan would ... not to mention that a bona fide TCU fan wouldn't be excited about the idea of poaching a I-AA QB ... much less one who has to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility.

I think I'm going to call BS on this one ... sounds more like a rather clever Griz fan looking to see how scared they could make us.

glorified j
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by glorified j » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:I think I'm going to call BS on this one ... sounds more like a rather clever Griz fan looking to see how scared they could make us.
A clever Griz fan?!?! To quote the original poster - "SAY IT AINT SO!!!" :lol:

norcal cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by norcal cat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Sorry to say but to begin with, what TCU fan would even know that there was a blog on the Billings Gazette website. Totally BS

Potomac Griz

Post by Potomac Griz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:30 pm

glorified j wrote:A clever Griz fan?!?! To quote the original poster - "SAY IT AINT SO!!!" :lol:
If it is a Griz fan, he's at least a little more clever than the Cat fan over on Egriz named "HIPPIESRULE" who is trying to pretend he's a Griz fan :lol:

Another mistake this guy made is talking about the junior QB that TCU has for next year. They don't have a JR QB on their roster. Just a bunch of freshman, a sophomore, and a senior (as D-Wreck pointed out). Bay Area Cat is right also about the "cats fans" part of his post. Why would a fan of TCU who isn't familiar with the Griz or Cats refer to Bobcat fans as cat fans? Hell...why would a TCU fan be commenting on a story from the Billings Gazette anyway?

Unless.....the TCUFan is actually a current Cat fan who is now a TCU fan because Mcghee is going to TCU...and is in some way related to Mcghee or a friend of Mcghee... :wink:

Or it could be a Griz fan trolling :P

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:45 pm

Dexter X wrote:
CPACAT wrote:When was the last time you saw a player move up rather than down?
I can think of three Griz players just off the top of my head that moved up (two took the JC route for a year to move up). I"m sure there are others too that I just can't remember right now.
Lyle Brown, Jeff Shoate, and Jamaine Olson.

Not saying McGhee is going to move up, but it's definitely not unheard of. I hope he stays put. That'd obviously be a pretty big blow to the Cats if he were to transfer.
Just going on your Links there
Lyle Brown, never made it to Mt, went the JC route, possible eligibility issues?
Jeff Shoate, before the NCAA changed the rules and required a sit out season
Jamaine Olson, played for MT 1 year, also went JC, another probable eligibility issue

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Dexter X wrote:
glorified j wrote:A clever Griz fan?!?! To quote the original poster - "SAY IT AINT SO!!!" :lol:
If it is a Griz fan, he's at least a little more clever than the Cat fan over on Egriz named "HIPPIESRULE" who is trying to pretend he's a Griz fan :lol:

Another mistake this guy made is talking about the junior QB that TCU has for next year. They don't have a JR QB on their roster. Just a bunch of freshman, a sophomore, and a senior (as D-Wreck pointed out). Bay Area Cat is right also about the "cats fans" part of his post. Why would a fan of TCU who isn't familiar with the Griz or Cats refer to Bobcat fans as cat fans? Hell...why would a TCU fan be commenting on a story from the Billings Gazette anyway?

Unless.....the TCUFan is actually a current Cat fan who is now a TCU fan because Mcghee is going to TCU...and is in some way related to Mcghee or a friend of Mcghee... :wink:

Or it could be a Griz fan trolling :P
My money is on Bearaxed :lol: :lol:
I know that he checke the CGI pretty often

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Potomac Griz

Post by Potomac Griz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:52 pm

cats2506 wrote:Just going on your Links there
Lyle Brown, never made it to Mt, went the JC route, possible eligibility issues?
Jeff Shoate, before the NCAA changed the rules and required a sit out season
Jamaine Olson, played for MT 1 year, also went JC, another probable eligibility issue
Both Brown and Olson weren't too fond of the state of Montana from what was said over on eGriz. They also both thought they could play at the FBS level and thought going the JC route for a year then getting picked up by a FBS program was their best route I guess. Olson was a tremendous DB for the Griz his freshman year. It was quite the nasty blow to the Griz losing him. Brown redshirted I think, but sounded like he was going to be a very speedy WR or DB for us. He didn't actually play in any games for the Griz (I don't think he did anyway).

As for Shoate, he moved to be closer to his wife and kid if I remember right. He didn't transfer to move up, but transferred to be closer to them which is completely understandable.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:12 pm

Obviously it's not unheard of and I was told today by someone at MSU that Travis Lulay was rumored to be interested in transferring to Oregon State. He's doing well so logically people from that area hear about it and wonder about him playing at a school close to home. If his uncle is a coach there, then it only makes sense that they are putting two-n-two together. TCU has to ask MSU for permission to talk to McGhee about transferring or it would be in violation of an NCAA rule and face possible sanctions.

D-Mac just seems like such a high character, intelligent guy from everything I've seen that it would be hard to imagine that he would just jilt MSU. He choices, realistically, are to start four years at MSU and showcase all his skills or go to TCU in hopes of beating out all the other QBs, including the one that starts after Dalton is gone. Beating out a senior, who started the previous year, would be difficult to do. That guy could light it up as a junior and then that leaves his senior year as his most realistic chance at starting, but still no guarantee.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber