Players Eligibility

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Players Eligibility

Post by grizhatr » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:12 pm

There hasn't been a whole lot of discussion about this topic, but I sit here and wonder if there will be any "suprises" and we lose some of our depth due to grades? The semester is almost over, and curious if we have some looming out there as of late?

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:59 pm

We always lose a few each semester. The incoming freshman the coaches were very high on last fall Troy Watson lasted one semester and flunked out.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:20 pm

gtapp wrote:We always lose a few each semester. The incoming freshman the coaches were very high on last fall Troy Watson lasted one semester and flunked out.
I was wondering what happened to him. CRAP! :x

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:22 pm

Who's that? I better go check last years media guide. I will be back.

BobcatLionFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatLionFan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:23 pm

gtapp wrote:We always lose a few each semester. The incoming freshman the coaches were very high on last fall Troy Watson lasted one semester and flunked out.
It's to bad about Troy, good kid and good player.

You don't tend to find out about kids being out until the Fall. What happens is classes that they have trouble with are dropped right after Spring practice is over (since they need them to practice). Then they retake the trouble classes in the summer and try to come back into standing. Thus you'll see some players delaying the start of their Fall 2 a days because of waiting for Summer School courses/grades being registered to make them eligible.

You only hear about the players that are totally lost during this time of year.

BobcatLionFan

Post by BobcatLionFan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:50 pm

grizhatr wrote:Who's that? I better go check last years media guide. I will be back.
Troy was given a scholarship just before FALL practice started (was not originally a recurit). He is out of Idaho. He was on the traveling squad as the Hot seat Freshman which is someone they want to keep with their red shirt, but if injuries happen in a game, they may go in. He traveled to Colorado State game (and may have gotten in). The year before Jensen was the hot seat Freshman lineman (as an example). Troy played OL Guard and was good.
Last edited by BobcatLionFan on Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:05 pm

Well thank you. That is why he isn't in the media guide. It was already printed when he got here.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:28 am

Not to beat this dead horse, but those of you you went to the scrimmage and then read the Chronicle on Saturday, did you not find it a little discouraging to hear one of the team captains has academic issues and sat out on Friday? I am so sorry, but this isn't what we need on the defensive side of the ball now!

BleedsBlue&Gold
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BleedsBlue&Gold » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:42 am

WHo?

2Cats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 2Cats » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:49 am

BleedsBlue&Gold wrote:WHo?
I beleive it was Mighty Mac. An interesting side note, K Hunter was going to leave practice early to drop a class (that would have made him ineligable for the final scrimmage). The last play before he was to leave he was hurt.

BobcatLionFan

Post by BobcatLionFan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:55 am

grizhatr wrote:Not to beat this dead horse, but those of you you went to the scrimmage and then read the Chronicle on Saturday, did you not find it a little discouraging to hear one of the team captains has academic issues and sat out on Friday? I am so sorry, but this isn't what we need on the defensive side of the ball now!
That is what Summer school/classes are for.
I don't think it will be a problem come Fall. He just drops the class(es) this Spring. Retake one or more during the summer (first or 2nd term) and is free to play without a worry.

I think this is a non-issue.

grizhatr
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by grizhatr » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:32 am

Hopefully your right.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:36 pm

Maybe we can send them to the UM intersession!

2024 Resume dominance