Signing Day 4-14-04: Recruiting update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Signing Day 4-14-04: Recruiting update

Post by mslacat » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:21 pm

This post is only for the hard core recruiting nuts out there.
Tomorrow Wednesday April 14th is the start of the spring recruiting period for most
sports (except football), and from what I hear it looks like Durham and company will not
sign anyone in the first week. My opinion on that is that historically I have always felt
that Durham is a hit and miss recruiter. He will have an outstanding recruiting class one
year and a so, so class the next. One other thing I have noticed, is that when Durham
signs his class early he tends have his better class. The more the recruiting season drags
on with out signing the more likely he is looking for bodies to fill positions. Since maybe
September I have mentioned folks who it I said Durham was interested in I will try to
update you folks on As many as I can remember

Jordan Hasquet Missoula Signed with the Teddies, Durham never even offered him, but
has offered his younger brother I am told for next year. I am on the record as saying I
think that will be a mistake.

Colin Hallberg 6-9 highschool Ore. Was being recruited this fall. I do not believed he
took a trip to MSU but is being Looked at by Boise St. Portland, and a host of D-2
schools. Dispite his size only scored in single digits his Junior year, but a lot of people
like his Potential.

Drew Arnold 6-9 Highschool AZ. It is reported that Durham offered him about 4 weeks
ago on a recruiting trip. He had one more visit to make before making a discussion. Bob
Knight Has asked him to walk-on at Texas Tech.

Lawrence Wright 6-4 JC guard-small forward-big forward A very athletic player with
spring. Can shoot the 3 and blocked a heck of a lot of shots this year. Was a low d1
player at the beginning of the year, but averaged 23 pts 10 rbs this year and has become a
hot property. 9 D-1 schools are now after him with Tulsa listed as the likely choice.
MSU is still in the picture but in his second tier.

Sergio DeRandamie 6-6 JC F-C Durham recruited in the fall, but it looks like Louisiana
Tech, Arkansas-Little Rock, New Mexico State, Bowling Green and Central Florida are
his short list. Is a banger, will not shoot a three.

Zoran Jelenic 6-7 JC F-C Durham recruited in the fall, has fallen off the radar and is
being looked at by a few D-2 schools. Might be a fall back candidate.

Rashad Robinson 6-8 JC F-C Pretty highly ranked at the beginning of the year, but stats
fell this year. He was the one guy who’s name came up a lot when looking into Bobcat
recruiting. Every one had him listed on their site and everyone had Montana State listed
as a suitor. It has come out that he will need to take summer school to become eligible at
a D-1 school with in the last couple of weeks, and because of that I seriously doubt
Durham would get too involved.

Marvin Moss 6-6 (Maybe) JC power forward This spring he is the hottest candidate for
Durham to sign. Inside player who averaged 20 pts and 10 rbs a game. Visited in early
March (Sac St. Game) and like Montana State a lot. Quinnipiac, another D-1 school,
was said to be our chief rival for his services, but very recently Nevada (formerly Reno)
has jumped on him and he will visit Reno.

Vas'shun Newborne 6-7 JC PF-C was another hot prospect but decided that he did not
want to come this far West (his JC is in Florida)

Mslacat forgets his name 6-4 JC 2g-sf This gentle man is a true wing player who played
with Zoran Jelenic 6-7 in 2002-2003. A very good player who did not graduate last year
and who has finished up this year, and been a assistant at the JC this year. A gamble.

Well that all I remember, or found out about. I did warn you this was only for the hard
core.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:50 pm

here is a little bit about a player said to taking a visit to MSU
Taylor Pratt, a 6-7 run/jump athlete from Tulsa, Okla., is tentatively scheduled to visit Montana State from Apr. 23-25. Evansville and Bowling Green have also shown interest in Pratt this spring, Turk said.
Also Dillion Sneed a 6-7 forward who player off the bench with fall signie Braden Miller of colby college has just came back on the marcket after Nebraska convinced him not to come their (he signed a LOI last fall). Durham was recruiting him before he signed with Nebraska, so he also still might be on the radar.

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:34 pm

mslacat,

Keep these posts coming!! It's great to hear a little about basketball and who may be on Durham's radar. Would love to see a big inside banger come in and concentrate on rebounds and score a little.

GO CATS!!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:49 am

AMEN...canyoncat!

2024 Resume dominance

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:06 am

canyoncat wrote:Would love to see a big inside banger come in and concentrate on rebounds and score a little.
No offense to Durham or anything, but I am pretty sure that is against his religion. :wink:

As for the updates, I agree keep em coming mslacat. I always find it interesting to follow which recruits are being looked at throughout the process.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:08 am

You maybe right kmax...Maybe he thinks they eat too much!

2024 Resume dominance

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:12 pm

Don't encourage me:

Update:
Croatian big man Zoran Jelenic, a 6-7 power forward, is being eyeballed by a number of Division II and some low Division I programs this spring, Swanson said.
Sorry most people outside of Montana consider The Montana State and um as low D-1

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:45 pm

I don't know where you get all this info from... but as a fellow "basketball person", I would say please keep it coming!

GRIZG
New Recruit

Post by GRIZG » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:37 pm

YOU GUYS MAKE IT SOUND LIKE GETTING A BIG BANGER INSIDE IS LIKE GOING TO SAFEWAY AND PICKING ONE UP. EVERYONE IS LOOKING FOR A GUY LIKE THAT. IT AIN'T THAT EASY FOLKS!

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:47 pm

NO KIDDING :roll: TELL US SOMETHING WE DON'T ALREADY KNOW. WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE TALKING ABOUT IT AND HOPING THAT DURHAM FINDS ONE :?

GO CATS!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:25 pm

mslacat....did you get my PM?????

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:37 pm

wbtfg
No I did not. If I remember right they are web based, not email based. So i should have, although most of my email comes through my office and i have not had a chance to check it since lunch. Today was a very Monday Monday.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:34 am

Update on one of prime targets of Durham and Company:

Marvin Moss is one of those player who just gets things done. The 6-6, 235 pound forward from Wheaton, Md., racked up impressive numbers for Mark Arce's West Hills College program of Coalinga, Calif.

Moss averaged 20.5 points, 10.2 rebounds, 2.2 assists, two blocks and 1.8 steals per game in 2003-2004. He shot 58 percent from the field and 59 percent from the foul line.

West Hills finished 16-10 overall and 9-5 in the Central Valley Conference this season, thanks in large part to Moss' handiwork.

Moss was a first team all-conference selection, and probably would have won league MVP honors if not for the presence of Fresno City's Tyrone Jackson (an Arizona State signee).

Moss visited Montana State (Feb. 28-March 1), Quinnipiac (March 26-28) and Robert Morris (Apr. 8-10), and is poised to pick from among that trio.
Last edited by mslacat on Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:52 am

I'm pretty sure that we are going to sign Moss.....I would be very surprised if he went somewhere else.

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:10 am

Hope your right and we sign Moss. He could team up very nicely with Towsley and make the Bobcats extremely dominate in the paint. That is if Towsley is healthy. Anybody know how he is doing after back surgery?

GO CATS!!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:20 am

That would be great news wbtfg!

In looking at Marvin Moss on the web the first thing you notice is that his height is listed every where 6-4 to 6-7. Not that that bothers me that much having stood next to Kamar Davis of UM at McDonald's and if he is 6-7 in the real world I have finally been able to break the 6-0 level after 25 years at 5-11.

Does anyone know where I could get one of these Basketball measuring tapes. I currently am arguing with some zoning over the height of a house and I think it would make life a lot easier if I had one of those tapes.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:24 pm

Drew Arnold a 6-9 High School forward / center from Arizona has reportedly signed with Montana State Billing (formerly Eastern).

GavinDonos

Post by GavinDonos » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:16 pm

How does Drew Arnold choose MSU-B over a walk-on opportunity at TTU and an offer from MSU? Heck, I'm sure NAU had to be in the mix, too. I knew Coach Carse was a renown recuiter (Shaq to LSU, etc.), but this is rediculous!!! He used to only steal in-state recruits from us!

Since I live in Billings, I go to a lot of MSU-B games because they are always exiting to watch. So, while I'm exited that I'm going to be able to see this kid in action a lot over the next four years, I'm feeling gut punched over the fact that he saw more opportunity here than in Bozeman. WTF? Mslacat, any insight into the logic of this would be great.

On a related note, if anyone knows of the talent that Coach Carse lands for a Div. II team, you know he's a master recruiter. Plus he plays a fast-paced, crowd pleasing style. If they don't score over 100 points it's almost looked at as a sub-par night. If Durham would, some day, happen to not be the 'Cats coach, I would seriously nominate Carse for the job. Although I have heard that he has been known to burn some bridges, hence his journey across the Louisiana Purchase Territory from LSU to MSU-B.

Oh well, just my two bits to chew on.
Last edited by GavinDonos on Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:00 pm

GavinDonos
I wondered the same thing. This is what I know. The information that Drew was visiting and was offed by Montana State was gotten both from a Arizona based web site and from some Arizona people. I was talking with a "Montana State person about who he knew had visited and he responded that he was not aware of a highschool kid visiting , what was the previuos week end, but he does not catch every thing.
That really got me a think'in. As much as it may make me look like I have egg on my face, I bet you the Kid visited MSU-Billings and was offered there, and then told every body or it was assumed it was Montana State minus the Billings part. Right now I would guess he never visited Bozeman.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:19 pm

You don't think the kid expects to be playing D-1 basketball do you? Maybe no one told him that the school he was visiting plays in Division II!

2024 Resume dominance