Fields interview

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Fields interview

Post by velochat » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:36 am

velochat

Post by velochat » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:48 am

I can't disagree with a word of Fields' philosophy and plans. I hope he stays here a long time. His daughter's a heck of a basketball player, as well.

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:49 am

Nice, frank, honest interview. I like what Fields is doing and has done in Bozeman. I liked his comments at the end where he envisioned improvements for all athletics, not just football. Sometimes we forget there are other sports than football.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:50 am

Cat Pride wrote:Nice, frank, honest interview. I like what Fields is doing and has done in Bozeman. I liked his comments at the end where he envisioned improvements for all athletics, not just football. Sometimes we forget there are other sports than football.
Yeah, Peter is a very classy and good AD. With this Capital Stadium drive coming up they need to make sure when they want people to donate that is POSTIVELY ear marked for the stadium debt etc. and I think a LOT of extra people would donate to it. They need to think up some other money type making things as well on game day they could also do.

1) Selling Beer in the stadium (people will get it not matter what before or halftime) ... then they wouldn't have to pay those irritating rent a cops to keep walking back and forth nonstop in the bleachers trying to bust drinkers. So you get the beer income and you have to pay less rent a cops.

2) They need to have an MSU apparell shop (specifically slated for stadium debt) at the game. Every major school you go to has 'GEAR" shops at the stadium. I know the bookstore is close, but I'm sure not everyone goes over there a lot. This could be another way to gain some income for the stadium.

3) Have a carnival out in kids area that has 3-4 type games where you buy tickets and you can win MSU type gear etc. All these tickets/money would go to the stadium debt. At Wyoming they have a hay bale football throw type game and some others etc. This could be another type thing that would increase the game day atmosphere and also bring in some money for the stadium.

I agree that footall isn't the only sport, but it is a major one at most universities and we really need to find ways to reduce the debt as the money we are paying in interest on that can be directed to the other sports etc.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:02 am

I am a huge fan of #1. It runs counter to the national trend (as more schools are eliminating it as opposed to being more liberal with their rules, but I think it makes sense to just let it happen. I was told that this idea is already being considered, and was working its way through the system. I assume that liability concerns play a big factor, but hopefully that can be overcome and a sensible "beer in the stands" solution can result. After all, isn't it about time that even those of us too old to sneak booze into the stadium (and haven't lined up Stadium Club access for that game) should be able to drink at the games?

As for #2, I know there used to be an MSU gear stand set up in the concourse on the booster side of the stadium a couple years ago, but I can't remember if it was still there when I walked through this year.

theblackgecko

Post by theblackgecko » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:18 am

BAC, gear stand is still there.
I like the article. MSU would do well to focus on what it has here in Bozeman, rather than constantly talking about the program in Montana.
That being said, I really like the idea of adding men's wrestling here at MSU. Montana desperately needs a D-I wrestling program, considering how big it is here in Montana at the high school level.

Cat Pride

Post by Cat Pride » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:31 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:With this Capital Stadium drive coming up they need to make sure when they want people to donate that is POSTIVELY ear marked for the stadium debt etc. and I think a LOT of extra people would donate to it.
If they did something like this, they would generate huge amounts of cash instantly. If Josh Wanago called all the boosters asking for $100, $50, $200 additional gift that went specifically to stadium renovations, I write him a check today - and I suspect many would write much larger checks. Then again, asking Wanago to do anything innovative for the boosters is asking a lot :roll: ....a topic for another day maybe.

How about paving that blasted gopher hole infested, broken ankle lawsuit waiting to happen, empty field they call a parking lot on the west side. Yes, it would be asking for another "little" donation, but if they instead charged $5 a car load for boosters to park on that side for one season, specifically earmarking that money for paving and landscaping improvements to the stadium....I think you'd raise quite a bit of money for what seems little, but would have a huge, lasting impression on the stadium. Imagine, actual designated parking stalls and grass and trees and no more landmine gopher holes.

Maybe hold some kind of art competition involving MSU and football, history, tradition, etc. where the winner gets to display their work permanently at the stadium entrance?

I went to my first Seattle Seahawks game in Sept against the 49ers this year. Prior to the game, they have a flag raising ceremony where they hoist the "12th Fan" flag. They get a distinguished Seahawk alum to raise it, fireworks go off, music roars, the crowd goes nuts, blah blah blah.

velochat

Post by velochat » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:41 am

I have mixed feelings about the beer. I guess if it was only sold to folks who are not drunk, it might be OK. Would need city approval and would be very controversial on and off campus.

Yes, there is an official bobcat gear shop in the stadium during games. The stuff at the bookstore is not official. Would be nice if it were at the basketball and volleyball games also, but that would require more staff.

There is a pretty good program with the inflatables for kids at football and basketball games. In the long run, "indoctrinating"kids is good.

I have no interest in wrestling, but if it results in MSU having a women's soccer team, I'm for it. I don't think there are many D1 wrestling programs in the region, so travel might be a problem. A woman's sport would have to be added as well.

I don't know much about capital fund raising, but Dr. Gamble is very good at it, as the Athletic Department has not been. In the past, they have ignored the small donors, while out searching for the six and seven figure donors. You need to do both, to build support as much as for the bucks.

Thanks to the Chronicle for this interview; it would be nice to see that several times a year.

Bleedinbluengold
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:43 am

You could also charge the griz fans an extra $5 or $10 for parking, and another $5 or $10 for seating at Car-griz. Because they all complain about parking and seating at Reno H.

Beer sales would be a bad idea outside of designated beer garden. That's just asking for trouble, trouble, and more trouble.

Pride, what do you mean " :roll: " with respect to J.W.?
Last edited by Bleedinbluengold on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cat Pride

Post by Cat Pride » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:13 pm

Bleedin...This may sound like disrespect, but honestly, I dont intend it to be. Josh, sorry in advance if I misunderstand your efforts with the boosters.

I just dont think Wanago does a good job with the boosters, and it seems like he could give a rip for his work with the boosters. Really, other than a golf scramble in the spring/summer that the local area boosters put on, no get-togethers at games unless organized by local groups, no originality, nothing, what does Josh really do that the local area boosters dont already organize? I dont know if I even saw him at a football game this season, and other than a Cat-Griz affair, I dont recall seeing him at any other sporting events. Maybe he's up hob-knobing with the high dollar boosters, I dont know, I just know that he is not very visable like Dave Gannt or Peter Fields.

I really dont even know Josh personally, and other than playing in the local golf scramble, I do nothing with the boosters, yet I still send money their way every spring. Maybe he is doing a bang up job, but to me, the boosters are more of a social status board in the gameday programs than it is an actual functioning and supporting entity of MSU athletics. No leadership or enthusiasm is offered up from the head of the booster club. At least in my not so humble opinion.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:29 pm

Josh has taken on more of a supervisory posture the last few years. most of the Booster relations are done by Carrie Krepps. YOu can see her around many of the tailgates at the games. She visits a lot of the out of town bossters with Kramer too.

2024 Resume dominance

Cat Pride

Post by Cat Pride » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:32 pm

Thanks for the info Helcat. Carrie is quite visable at games, etc. She does a great job with the boosters. Still doesnt eliminate the fact that I dont think too highly of the job that Wanago does.

Bleedinbluengold
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:50 pm

I respect your opinion, but, in my humble opinion, you might consider the following:

Before Krames, there really was no booster club outside of Bozeman. Krames wanted booster organizations in as many towns as possible outside of Bozeman. Without Josh, those chapters wouldn't have been established, and wouldn't have been as successful as they are now at raising the Quan

There is no question that MSU kicks UM's ass in the area of outreach. I'm talking about coaches and administration going across the State to get people fired up about MSU athletics. Josh is a huge part of that outreach.

When Patty left, he took on her job, plus his. It wasn't until Carrie came on board that he had much help.

I could go on, but I'd probably bore everyone to death - if I haven't already.

If the ASA isn't innovative enough for you, I have NO DOUBT that they would WELCOME fresh ideas and energy. The ASA is only as good as the people in it. And the success of the ASA doesn't rest with Josh, it really rests with the people who get and stay involved.

Believe me, outside of Peter and Krames, I don't know of anyone who understands the importance of the ASA more than Josh.

Cat Pride

Post by Cat Pride » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:30 am

Thanks for your reply bleedin. I really do appreciate it.