scrimmage

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

suckitgriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

scrimmage

Post by suckitgriz » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:46 pm

The scrimmage looks to be getting underway. If you are in the area, head on over! GO CATS!

Catdad39
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catdad39 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:45 am

I would love to hear from anybody who saw the scrimmage. How did the cats look on Friday at the stadium?

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:44 am

I would also love to hear some first hand impressions. I got the impresssion from the newspaper that Gatewood may have been wide open on his two long catches and Kramer was not happy with the coverage?? I am very curious how the O-line is looking also as that will be a big key next year. If we can control the line of scrimmage and CONSISTENTLY move the ball, that will also benefit our defense alot as they grow into their positions and learn. Did Morris Milton play at all? Did not see him in any stats.

bobcatpride
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcatpride » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:23 am

Went to yesterdays scrimmage here's what I saw:

The O-line played great overall decent protection and kept our D-line at bay most of the day. (Two or Three possible sacs cant tell with early whistles)

The secondary was not covering very well which might have been a result of the good )-line play. Gatewood was open on one 65 yarder and the nearest DB was 10 yards off running to catch up. Gatewood's second big catch a sweet throw by Trav that had the right touch on it. Gatewood showed his speed by beating the db to the zone.

Wolf awesome hands but after the catch has a hard time keeping his feet. (the guy is huge).

Dan M. Made some moves on our secondary that I haven't seen a Cat back make in a while. The guy is small but his footwork is great and he knows where the seams are. He did fumble on the first carry. Sullivan recovered.

Coppack is the real deal has a great arm (better ball then Trav in skelley) he was flushed and showed some really good speed on the run. Dont worry about our backup situation at qb.

Milton was on the sidelines not suited up. Joey was there watching from the sidelines.

Michael Williams made some great catches. He will be a playmaker.

Offense looked great Defense made me think.....

Fat Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Fat Cat » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:35 pm

Haven't heard much on a few guys yet on the scrimmages that I kind of have high hopes for:

How has Dem Williams been looking? I thought he showed all the tools in the second half of the season last year. Pretty good size and showed some power after the catch. Also wondering about Ryan Force. Not sure on his coverage skills, but I saw him lower the boom on more than one receiver last year. Looks to be a good tackler.

Glad to hear Wolf is getting some catches. He is a hell of a load! It would really be fun to see him get the ball in the flats this year where he has time to get a head of steam on a DB and just lay em out. A few of those a game, I would think the DBs would be heading for the sideline. Seemec like when Travis went his way last year, he was always hurried and Wolf often had to leave his feet to go after the ball.

Or what about Goodman or Samuelson on the other side? Any word?

Is Mike Williams going to be our deep threat?

bobcatpride
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcatpride » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:59 pm

Williams had a few thrown his way I think he had two catches. I agree though he seemed like our goto guy ending last season.

Ryan Force was the free when Gatewood was 10 yards deeper than any of our defenders. Although Im not sure what coverage they were in so im not sure it was his assignment. If your going to look for the big hit then FS is not the place to be playing IMHO. I did think he stepped in nicely last year.

Im not sure where williams will fit in. Chaz Guinn will most likely be our guy to string out the opp D. I would like to see williams on returns.

Goodman is out of spring ball with the ACL work not yet healed. Samuleson im told is on board but I didn't see him on Fri.

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:12 pm

Wow! Slow day today.

Didn't make the scrimage, but it looks like the offense is developing very well. I like the fact that we will be throwing to the TE's more this coming year. This will only open things up for the WR's down the field. The o-line seems that it may be a strength of ours this year. Good starting five with capable backups who are pushing the first string. Can't wait for the new kids to arrive and start working with the team. The O-line looks like it could be very solid for lot of years!! It will be fun when Justin Dominek arrives and Morris Milton is fully healed to start going full tilt. I have a feeling our running game is going to be very effective this year. Especially with the emergence of Dan McInerney. Looks like we have also found a capable back up in Coppack. I'll admit I was looking forward to seeing Carpenter and never really gave Coppack a thought. Anyone know when we could expect Carpenter back and will he be able to push Coppack this fall?

Not too sure about the Defense. We know the linebackers will be very good, and so should the DT's. Haven't heard much about Clive Lowe this spring. Is he having a hard time this year? From what I have read it sounds like Gluhm and Cogley could be the starters this year. Secondary is really hard to read. Especially with Eddie Smith and Corky Lindsey coming in this fall. My hope is that the front 7 will be able to put a ton of pressure on the QB until the secondary is used to playing with each other. Of course the line needs to keep putting pressure on the QB.

All in all it sounds like this spring has been successful. Some have emerged (Birkeland, McInerney, Coppack, Gatewood and MWilliams) like we hoped would. Won't be able to make it to the scrimage this Saturday (work & wedding to go to), but am sure there will be lots of good reporters here to relay what happend.

GO CATS!!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:47 pm

Why in God's green earth would someone be stupid enough to schedule a wedding on the same day as the Spring Scrimmage?! I mean, come on, you gotta have some consideration for everyone else instead of being so selfish!!! :wink:

GO CATS GO!!!

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:29 am

Griz fan :roll: