Breaking news! Women's b-ball

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:11 pm

raincat
What do you think of some of us men who hyphenated their names with their wife's
maiden name. In my case I think it is a nice way for the two of us to celebrate both or
our history. As far as I can tell it has never hurt me in my job performance, although I
wonder sometimes whether it may help me or hurt me in getting jobs. For the record my
wife has not been hurt in her job performance as a matter of fact she often travels the state
teaching and/or helping other organizations to set up programs.
My Kids by the way have my Family name.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:23 pm

Did you really do that, mslacat? I was wondering about that sort of thing when I was reading raincat's post, but I had never talked to anyone who had ever done it.

You are quite the trailblazer. You marry a UM grad, you hyphenate your own name... it doesn't get much more open-minded than that.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:39 pm

It is pretty funny how it works. Lets say my real name is Robert. Any time I introduce myself as the common nickname of Bob I always put only my given last name after it ie Bob Mslacat, but if I introduce myself using the proper first name (Robert in this case ) it is Robert Mslacat-Mslagriz. It just does not seem to sound right the other way.
This though is most likely to much information

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:48 pm

Actually, that's really interesting to me -- just the right amount of information.

Don't Spaniards take their mother's maiden name as one of their last names? It seems like it works something like that, so your approach isn't completely out of the ordinary on a world scale, but it is quite unique for this country.

My last girlfriend's last name was Dang. That one was just destined to not work out if I ever were to adopt your naming method.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:49 pm

As an afterthought, it could have been worse. One of our mutual friend's last name was Phuc.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:08 pm

A friend of my wife last name was Gross. Went to a resturant and they paged us "Gross party of four. Gross party of four."

Another mutual friends Maiden name was Hurlbutt. Her slogan when she ran for student senate was " With a name like Hurlbut she has to be good"

Needless to say niether women had a single problem with giving up their maiden names.

Then you have my son and daghter who started off life with the family names Goa, and Lin, we just figured they had enough complications in their names we did not need to add a hyphen.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:17 pm

I for one don't care if the next women's head BB coach is a man, woman, or Zr&@gkx ##qzmmr% from West Andromeda A&M, let's just find someone who will stay for more than 3 years and not have to "resign" due to some sort of controversy like the last 3 coaches have.

I do think that if there will still be 3 assistants along with the head coach, at least 2 of the 4 should be women.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:39 pm

I pretty much agree with MSU01. As far as your question about a woman on staff. My
feeling are that if you are going to have a team that is predominately made up of one race,
culture or sex you need to ensure that you have representation of that quality one the team
coaching staff, and not just a token either. So if you are looking at a team that
historically (at least in the sort term) has had a 90% make up of native American athletes
I feel you need to make sure the coaching staff has 1-2 native American coaches. Now I
am not going to say that a coach need to be Native American for this mythical team, but if
I had two identical candidates and I was looking for something to distinguish the two, I
would probably give an edge to the Native American candidate give the above mentioned
history.
On a womans team you are pretty much guaranteed that 100% of all team members are
women. For a multitude of reasons, I feel that the university need to have a woman on
the coaching staff.

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:36 pm

Like MSU01, I actually couldn't care less what her/his name is. Just trying to drum up a little conversation. Besides, I'd never share my previous opinion at home with Mrs. raincat-Ballbuster.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:48 pm

Does anyone have any information as to why Kudrna was named the interam head coach over Kellog? I think that's a HUGE slap in the face to a quality up and coming coach, and from my experiences a heck of a nice guy. Nothing against Kudrna, but in my opinion Kellog is MUCH more deserving of the job!