ESPN NFL Mock Draft

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

ESPN NFL Mock Draft

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:19 pm

Just saw today that Mel Kiper has Joey Thomas going to Carolina in the 30th pick of the 2nd round of his mock NFL Draft. I won't post the link since you have to have the ESPN Insider to view it.

Side question: Does anyone know the last time a Big Sky player was drafted that early? I've been thinking and can't remember anyone offhand.

Also, here's a different scouting report on him (I think) than what has previously been posted:

>DC | (6'0", 195, 4.44) | MONTANA STATE | COLLEGE STATS
Data from Scouts, Inc.

Grade: 74
Comments: Thomas has upside because of outstanding size, speed. Is tall, well-built, excellent speed, acceleration. Smooth athlete, fluid hips. Can turn, run with most speed receivers. Long arms, good ball skills. Can find ball in air after he has turned back to line of scrimmage. Plus leaping ability, times jumps well, will challenge for balls at highest point. Durability an issue after 2001 knee injury. Must make transition from Division I-AA ball to NFL. Gotten away with sloppy technique in past. Must improve footwork, consistency. Poor recognition. Must improve technique in press coverage, do play with same focus on every play.: Thomas was an enigma heading into his senior season. He had transferred from Washington to Division I-AA Montana State in 2000 and missed six games because of a a torn lateral meniscus in his right knee in 2002. However, Thomas stayed relatively healthy as a senior and dominated the competition. Thomas played in 12 and finished with 30 tackles, four interceptions and 11 passes defended. Thomas looked raw at Senior Bowl and has more work to do than most Day 1 prospects. However, with his height and speed, Thomas could develop into a solid cover corner. His durability, sloppy fundamentals and inexperience vs. top competition are concerns, but Thomas is worth grabbing late on Day 1 because he has the size, speed and athleticism to make an impact as No. 2 or No. 3 cornerback.
Last edited by MSU01 on Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:27 pm

Scott Gragg went really high -- I think it was the second round -- to the Giants. He's the highest one I can remember.

I saw him interviewed on a 49ers show down here, and it sounds like he pretty much plans to be the Governor of Montana after he retires. He would sure be an imposing presence in a debate, and he is a pretty bright guy.

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:27 pm

Bill Kollar was a first round (Cincinnati) in '73. Stenerud and Bortchardt went in the 3rd. These are the highest rounds Bobcats have been taken in. Obviously, Kollar went sooner than Joey's projection. I can't recall any other #1 BSC's, but there well may have been.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

7 round mock draft

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:45 pm

This is from ESPN's 7 round Mock Draft... of course a Mock Draft past the first round or two is probably about as reliable as a Tony Moss pick of a MSU game, but it's fun to look at nonetheless.

Joey Thomas, MSU, #59 overall (Rd. 2) IND "After the Colts address their need for a linebacker in the first round, they likely will be looking to add a cornerback in the second. Thomas is a little rough around the edges, but he would add some much-needed speed and athleticism to the Colts secondary."