Off Season random stuff 2024

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: Off Season random stuff 2024

Post by catsrback76 » Fri May 24, 2024 5:16 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 12:12 am
AFCAT wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 12:05 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 11:06 am
AFCAT wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 10:19 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 10:12 am
RockyBearCat wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:58 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 12:59 pm
interesting and I wonder how it filters to FCS. Thanks for the link Colter.
Maybe this is why there's not much talk about UM and MSU moving up. Maybe teams will be dropping down to FCS.
I'm curious about how many FBS teams/athletic programs are losing money every year. I know Reno football has lost millions every year for the past few years at least.
Before the giant tv contracts didn't essentially all teams lose money? It's only in the last decade that they started turning a profit, or at least one that they couldn't hide with accounting tricks.

Even in the article it mentioned that Georgia Tech barely made money last year in one of their best financial years. This latest round of legal losses will greatly accelerate the divide between the top 50 and everyone else.

As far as MSU and Missoula moving up, I don't think the latest events change anything. The quality of the teams has nothing to do with getting an invite and may actually be detrimental. Why would the G5 invite teams that bring next to nothing financially to the table but could beat the teams that do?
Here is an interesting recent article.

“The majority of universities in the nation's top athletic conferences lost money through their sports programs to the tune of approximately $16 million each.”

https://www.bestcolleges.com/news/analy ... ake-money/
A bit more discussion on how the multibillion settlement will be split between power conferences 40% and everyone else 60%. As well as some discussion on revenue caps, etc. Needless to say, buckle your seat belt because this show ain’t over….and the future vision is unclear to me. Still not clear to me how the lower revenue schools sports programs can survive and how women sports may be impacted.

https://apple.news/AknDP6ZyeRGGqSrrEYZdQ1g
Cue…
http://youtu.be/y5ecvBaqHBk?si=00sE9vR0XJd6tyyy

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri May 24, 2024 8:56 am

It's time for the G5 to make their own playoff and become the G6 with a new conference called the Mountain Plains Athletic Conference (MPAC) being formed. The new conference will include Montana State, Montana, Idaho, Weber State, Utah State, North Dakota State, North Dakota, South Dakota State, South Dakota, Northern Iowa, Wyoming and Colorado State. The 2 divisions will be the North (MSU, UM, UI, NDSU, UND, and SDSU) and South (WSU, USU, UW, CSU, USD, and UNI). One protected rivalry game cross-division each year. MSU-UW, UM-WSU, UI-USU, NDSU-UNI, SDSU-USD, and UND-CSU.

BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 110010110 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:30 pm

A question I have with colleges paying players is does that mean players are no longer required to maintain amateur status in order to play in the NCAA? Could a player declare for the NFL draft and then come back to their school if they dont get drafted? Could a kid play juniors in the CHL then come play NCAA hockey? Could a European basketball player play professionally in Europe at 18 then come play NCAA? Currently the only reasons you cant do those things is because doing so makes you no longer an amateur athlete, but neither are college athletes, apparently.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 24, 2024 1:37 pm

110010110 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:30 pm
A question I have with colleges paying players is does that mean players are no longer required to maintain amateur status in order to play in the NCAA? Could a player declare for the NFL draft and then come back to their school if they dont get drafted? Could a kid play juniors in the CHL then come play NCAA hockey? Could a European basketball player play professionally in Europe at 18 then come play NCAA? Currently the only reasons you cant do those things is because doing so makes you no longer an amateur athlete, but neither are college athletes, apparently.
I don't know about the sports you mentioned but I believe the basketball rule is that you can't return to school unless you remove your name from the draft board by a certain date, which is an NCAA rule. I've never heard anything about that being related to amateur status. Moreso that the NCAA doesn't want to give players a chance to go all the way through the process and just slink back to their teams at the end when the draft doesn't work out. If they don't get drafted, or get drafted much lower than expected, that wouldn't impact amateur status. I would think other sports would be the same.

At a higher level, I think the NCAA or member schools can just make a non-compete rule where you can't hold active contracts for more than one organization at a time and scrap the "amateur" term all together.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 110010110 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:46 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:37 pm
110010110 wrote:
I don't know about the sports you mentioned but I believe the basketball rule is that you can't return to school unless you remove your name from the draft board by a certain date, which is an NCAA rule. I've never heard anything about that being related to amateur status. Moreso that the NCAA doesn't want to give players a chance to go all the way through the process and just slink back to their teams at the end when the draft doesn't work out. If they don't get drafted, or get drafted much lower than expected, that wouldn't impact amateur status. I would think other sports would be the same.

At a higher level, I think the NCAA or member schools can just make a non-compete rule where you can't hold active contracts for more than one organization at a time and scrap the "amateur" term all together.
I have no idea how the NBA draft works but the way I understand it part of the process to be drafted in the NFL is that the NFL requires you to do things like be signed by a professional sports agency and sign some paperwork, which is enough for the NCAA to say you are no longer an amateur and not eligible foe NCAA competition. If I'm wrong on that I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

The idea of a "non-compete" clause and getting rid of the facade of amateurism all together is certainly an interesting one and probably the way it will go. Although I wonder how the courts would view the validity of such a clause. I know in other industries they dont hold up too well.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 24, 2024 2:21 pm

110010110 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:46 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:37 pm
110010110 wrote:

I have no idea how the NBA draft works but the way I understand it part of the process to be drafted in the NFL is that the NFL requires you to do things like be signed by a professional sports agency and sign some paperwork, which is enough for the NCAA to say you are no longer an amateur and not eligible foe NCAA competition. If I'm wrong on that I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

The idea of a "non-compete" clause and getting rid of the facade of amateurism all together is certainly an interesting one and probably the way it will go. Although I wonder how the courts would view the validity of such a clause. I know in other industries they dont hold up too well.
I'm just guessing here but I think the NFL requirement to sign with a professional agency might be part of the CBA with the NFLPA, essentially an attempt to protect the players from becoming involved with shady representation (and the NFL having to negotiate with a shady agent they aren't familiar with). On the NCAA side, once a player signs with an agent the agency usually provides pre-draft funds/training which is deducted from their commission once the NFL contract is signed. It's not that they signed with an agent, it's that the agent paid them (even if it's technically a loan).

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri May 24, 2024 9:57 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:56 am
It's time for the G5 to make their own playoff and become the G6 with a new conference called the Mountain Plains Athletic Conference (MPAC) being formed. The new conference will include Montana State, Montana, Idaho, Weber State, Utah State, North Dakota State, North Dakota, South Dakota State, South Dakota, Northern Iowa, Wyoming and Colorado State. The 2 divisions will be the North (MSU, UM, UI, NDSU, UND, and SDSU) and South (WSU, USU, UW, CSU, USD, and UNI). One protected rivalry game cross-division each year. MSU-UW, UM-WSU, UI-USU, NDSU-UNI, SDSU-USD, and UND-CSU.
I like your idea in general but why in the world would USU, CSU and UW leave the Mountain West Conference to join this new conference? Especially if Washington State and Oregon State become part of the MWC. I know that ISU is pathetic, but just bring them in with UI and we have 4 intrastate rivals and a nice 10 team conference without the MWC schools.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat May 25, 2024 11:03 am

Kind of amazing to see these schedules from the other Big Sky football teams.

Sac State, Cal Poly, Idaho, Weber, NAU, PSU, and UNC are only playing 5 home games this season in a 12 game schedule. They are all on the road for 7 games.

Sac was third in attendance in the Big Sky last season with 13,348 fans per game and Idaho was fourth with 11,737 per game. I haven’t checked to see how much they are getting paid for their money games this year.

I guess Sacs two money games won’t cost them much for transportation, food, or lodging since they are within a few hours driving distance of Sacramento.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat May 25, 2024 1:28 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:57 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
I like your idea in general but why in the world would USU, CSU and UW leave the Mountain West Conference to join this new conference? Especially if Washington State and Oregon State become part of the MWC. I know that ISU is pathetic, but just bring them in with UI and we have 4 intrastate rivals and a nice 10 team conference without the MWC schools.
Just spitballing, I doubt they would even consider it, but it would make sense geographically. The Pac 2 schools are not going to be in the MWC. They've been pretty adamant they're going to rebuild the Pac 10/12. USU and CSU won't be getting invites for that rebuild. Other MWC schools I don't think would receive interest are New Mexico, Wyoming, Hawaii and UNLV. Honestly MSU and the DSUs may have a chance to join the gutted MWC.

The ACC may cease to exist in the next 5 years, so Cal and Stanford could potentially come back to the Pac as well.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat May 25, 2024 1:28 pm

SFA back to the Southland. The WAC has failed yet again!

https://herosports.com/fcs-sfa-return-s ... ence-bzbz/

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Sat May 25, 2024 2:23 pm

My head is spinning…

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat May 25, 2024 3:38 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 1:28 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Just spitballing, I doubt they would even consider it, but it would make sense geographically. The Pac 2 schools are not going to be in the MWC. They've been pretty adamant they're going to rebuild the Pac 10/12. USU and CSU won't be getting invites for that rebuild. Other MWC schools I don't think would receive interest are New Mexico, Wyoming, Hawaii and UNLV. Honestly MSU and the DSUs may have a chance to join the gutted MWC.

The ACC may cease to exist in the next 5 years, so Cal and Stanford could potentially come back to the Pac as well.
Not sure where you are getting info on the PAC, but you have ruled out some of the largest TV markets from the MW. CSU and UNLV are in big TV markets and they are attractive as a result.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat May 25, 2024 8:38 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 3:38 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Not sure where you are getting info on the PAC, but you have ruled out some of the largest TV markets from the MW. CSU and UNLV are in big TV markets and they are attractive as a result.
The Denver market is large, Fort Collins is not, and CSU is far less poplar than CU. UNLV isn't good at anything, so athletically they aren't attractive for a Pac rebuild. Their TV market may get them a look, but they'd be a doormat in everything but basketball. There aren't a lot of options, but the Pac wants to be a power conference, and UNLV and CSU won't get them there.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun May 26, 2024 12:04 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:38 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 3:38 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

The Denver market is large, Fort Collins is not, and CSU is far less poplar than CU. UNLV isn't good at anything, so athletically they aren't attractive for a Pac rebuild. Their TV market may get them a look, but they'd be a doormat in everything but basketball. There aren't a lot of options, but the Pac wants to be a power conference, and UNLV and CSU won't get them there.
Is this just your opinion? CSU has a big following in Colorado with strong academics. They are not CU, but they have enrollment of 28,000 with a campus in Denver as well. They have a huge alumni base in Denver with a brand new modern stadium. They are perfect for the next phase of the Pac 10. Many will come just because they would be a larger conference.

UNLV is now playing games in Allegiant. It will be a huge marketing tool and recruits will follow with the right coach. Massive media market that will be attractive to a west coast conference.

But quite frankly, the Pac 10 will merge with the Mountain West. OSU and WSU fit well into the conference. And there are no other teams to pursue.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue May 28, 2024 2:37 pm

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue May 28, 2024 10:37 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 2:37 pm
Why in the world are the non-Big 10 and non-SEC schools (ACC, Big 12, PAC 12, G5, FCS, D2, D3) not taking legal action to protect their interests? Standing back and not protecting their interests will result in the smaller schools having nothing.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 29, 2024 9:27 am

I know MSU has one of the best video creative departments in the country, but sometimes I forget how outstanding they really are. This 2023 NAU run out video popped up in my YouTube feed today. The video isn't horrible but you can definitely see how the quality and ingenuity of MSUs creative team is miles ahead of some others in the Big Sky.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Wed May 29, 2024 9:49 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 9:27 am
I know MSU has one of the best video creative departments in the country, but sometimes I forget how outstanding they really are. This 2023 NAU run out video popped up in my YouTube feed today. The video isn't horrible but you can definitely see how the quality and ingenuity of MSUs creative team is miles ahead of some others in the Big Sky.

All true and completely agree about our video production team. Although I'll say NAU has come miles and miles from their older videos. Case in point:

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed May 29, 2024 10:13 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 9:27 am

Did NAU use a Nashville based AI system to create this video? It doesn't make any sense. WEATHER! FOOTBALL PRACTICE! COUNTRY MUSIC! FOOTBALL GAMES! SOMEONE OPENED THE ROOF DURING A RAIN STORM AND TURNED THE LIGHTS OFF! NOISE!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed May 29, 2024 10:29 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 10:37 pm
this crazy scenario where the richest are going to make the not as rich pay all their bills
A scenario colloquially known by the name "business as usual" :roll:

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers