Who wins the QB battle?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Good post Helcat. We've all heard the expression "I'd like to be a fly on the wall" what you wrote there is what the fly on the wall the last 8 months would have seen and written.

Coach Choate says that his job is to recruit players that are better than what he already has, and in the qb position he has done that.
Today we are better at qb top to bottom In talent than we have been for three years. Granted our level of experience is not that great.
Throw in the added experience and talent of coach Cole and I truly believe that we are in good if not great shape at QB.

I don't think that any of our QB prospects this year will match the running of Murry but they don't need to.
TA could come close, TJ could get half as many yards, The others are more likely to get about 1/4 the running yards, so what, that's what running backs are for and they would have TA behind them for many of those yards.

I have no doubt that anyone of these QB prospects would have a better passing game than we have had in the past couple of years.

In the log run we need to eventually transition to a more traditional passing QB. My hope is that todays scrimmage gives the coaches confidence that with one of the young guns behind our O line and with the support of RB stable (including TA) and WRs we're ready go in that direction now.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:44 pm

OK so if all this about our best option and lack of experience is true then why not try Natee??? He has played QB in college (no one else has) and at the FBS level. He can run also and he probably won't start at RB so the loss won't hurt us. Now maybe he can't throw at all but was he not a HS Qb also?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:56 pm

I have no idea why Natee wasn't added to the QB competition from the get go but now seems kind of late to add another name to an already muddy situation. The coaches have said they want to come out of todays scrimmage with a more clear view of the direction the program will take.

Interesting question though.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:10 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:44 pm
OK so if all this about our best option and lack of experience is true then why not try Natee??? He has played QB in college (no one else has) and at the FBS level. He can run also and he probably won't start at RB so the loss won't hurt us. Now maybe he can't throw at all but was he not a HS Qb also?
Natee did not play college QB. Kevin Kassis has completed more throws in college than Natee.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:20 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:10 pm
gtapp wrote:
Natee did not play college QB. Kevin Kassis has completed more throws in college than Natee.
Then what is the video that keeps showing up on BN of him playing an entire game at QB for Indiana? He ran the wildcat the whole game. No idea if he threw the ball but he played QB. He was first team all district in HS as a QB! Played for the same HS team as Denarius.

Update: He was 0-1 for 0 yards as a QB in 2016 for Indiana. Rushed for 239 yards for an avg. of 3.9 per carry in 2016. Did not play in 2017.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:46 pm

I figured out the perfect system for this year, and for the future.

11 game season (if we make the playoffs, we cross that bridge when we get to it.

New NCAA rule that says that a player can play 4 games and still red-shirt.

Bauman plays 4 games - and redshirts 2018.
Andersen plays 4 games - and redshirts 2018.
Rovig and Jonsen play 3 games - and backs up the other 2 in the other 8 games.

There ya have it. Win, Win, Win all the way around. :wink:
I'm off to drink a beer. My work here is done. \:D/

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:51 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:20 pm
wbtfg wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Then what is the video that keeps showing up on BN of him playing an entire game at QB for Indiana? He ran the wildcat the whole game. No idea if he threw the ball but he played QB. He was first team all district in HS as a QB! Played for the same HS team as Denarius.

Update: He was 0-1 for 0 yards as a QB in 2016 for Indiana. Rushed for 239 yards for an avg. of 3.9 per carry in 2016. Did not play in 2017.
Was Ronnie Jones a QB for the Dolphins when he lined up as a wildcat QB?

Natee was a RB who lined up behind the center. He absolutely did not play QB in college.

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Just food for thought and conversation!!Is it maybe Troy is better at offense than defense??

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:20 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:51 pm
gtapp wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Natee was a RB who lined up behind the center. He absolutely did not play QB in college.
Sounds like Murray!!! I kid, I kid!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Sounds like Travis and Troy are #1 and Rovig #2.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:19 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:51 pm
gtapp wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Ronnie Brown.
Hate to be that guy, but I'm a Dolphins fan.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Sounds like we are rolling with Troy and Travis.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:56 pm

I was hoping baumen could red shirt, which sounds like that will happen. So that’s good. That guy is going to be incredible down the road.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:59 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:46 pm
Texts are rolling in now. A lot of people felt Tucker Rovig had a good day. Was efficient with the 2s (most of the 2s will play a ton this year). Sounds like his spring nightmares are behind him as he looked comfortable in the pocket.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:30 pm

wbtfg wrote:
It will be tough to pull off, but I think it has the potential to be a nightmare for other teams.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:25 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Honestly, not a fan of this.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:25 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Honestly, not a fan of this.
But honestly who knows? It was a closed scrimmage and we are just going by what coaches want us to know. They could have come up with the interview script and the stats two weeks ago for all we know.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:40 pm

I'm telling you guys, my harvest fever dream is coming true. We're going platoon at qb, and/or playing 2 together most of the time. Will either be a nightmare for the big sky, or for us as fans!

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:48 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:40 pm
I'm telling you guys, my harvest fever dream is coming true. We're going platoon at qb, and/or playing 2 together most of the time. Will either be a nightmare for the big sky, or for us as fans!
Well the last time this happened, it was a nightmare so...

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 am

Maybe this QB by committee will work (having T and T on the field at the same time). And if it does I bet Alabama copies us and does the same thing. They have 2 of the best dual threat QB's in the country. Maybe they should BOTH be on the field at the same time.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN