MAP Brewing Co./Bobcat Collective Beer Design

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: MAP Brewing Co./Bobcat Collective Beer Design

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Fri May 17, 2024 11:05 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 5:24 pm
Just to make it appealing and drinkable to the broadest selection of Bobcat fans possible, I'd caution going with anything too dark/heavy and/or too hoppy. From a marketability perspective, strongly suggest NOT doing any sort of IPA. Those seem to be the most Problematic. Probably needs to be a medium bodied amber or a lager. That's all I'll say.
This is spot on. The cold hard fact is anything else will eventually die a slow out of date death on the beer store shelf. The top selling beer in Montana is light Pilsner style Lager, IE Miller lite, Modelo, Coors Light and some sort of Anheuser/InBev foreign owned beer that shall not be named. The reason ColdSmoke is the top selling Montana produced craft beer is because the Average Montana beer drinker will on occasion drink it, albeit only one or two as it is twice as strong as a Light Lager. The Elephant in the room has not yet been considered, but it would sell well. Montana is in the top tier for per capita consumption of Seltzers, as the ladies do drink more of it than the guys, but not by much, ( I just puked a little bit in my mouth for posting that). Low calorie, low ABV alcohol is the trend and it wont change anytime soon. Sorry Hazy Hop tea, sour beer, fruit/flavor infused and strong Ale beer fans, but this is fact.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri May 17, 2024 1:57 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 11:05 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Just to make it appealing and drinkable to the broadest selection of Bobcat fans possible, I'd caution going with anything too dark/heavy and/or too hoppy. From a marketability perspective, strongly suggest NOT doing any sort of IPA. Those seem to be the most Problematic. Probably needs to be a medium bodied amber or a lager. That's all I'll say.
This is spot on. The cold hard fact is anything else will eventually die a slow out of date death on the beer store shelf. The top selling beer in Montana is light Pilsner style Lager, IE Miller lite, Modelo, Coors Light and some sort of Anheuser/InBev foreign owned beer that shall not be named. The reason ColdSmoke is the top selling Montana produced craft beer is because the Average Montana beer drinker will on occasion drink it, albeit only one or two as it is twice as strong as a Light Lager. The Elephant in the room has not yet been considered, but it would sell well. Montana is in the top tier for per capita consumption of Seltzers, as the ladies do drink more of it than the guys, but not by much, ( I just puked a little bit in my mouth for posting that). Low calorie, low ABV alcohol is the trend and it wont change anytime soon. Sorry Hazy Hop tea, sour beer, fruit/flavor infused and strong Ale beer fans, but this is fact.
Maybe the main reason I drink IPAs is that when someone goes to my fridge, my 8.0-10.0+ abv selection is a bit to strong.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat May 18, 2024 6:00 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
You're actually really wrong on this. As someone that has their toes in the beer business waters

Seltzers are on a down turn. FMB(flavored malt beverages) are where the growth is. Arizona tea. Twisted tea is a Monster and continues to grow. Simply. Though we don't have it in MT yet, hard Mtn Dew. If you aren't White Claw or Truly, you have no business being in the seltzer business. To your thoughts about Bud Light, Coors/Lt, Models, Corona, that's alot of brands that have brand loya consumersl. You aren't getting coors light drinkers of any significance to move to some micro brew even if it is a Bobcat branded beer. They only drink that beer. Craft beer drinkers with move around and drink other beers and styles that aren't their go to. I think the point is, this isn't going to be a beer that gets every Bobcat fan to drink it. This should be a Bobcat beer that speaks to the most craft drinkers out there, that can pull some non craft drinkers to drink it. I could go with a Mexican Lager. But MAP already has a good one and it's called Party.

And you're wrong about cold smoke. There's no occasionally about it. It's solid beer and it's got a rep for a reason. Maybe in the circles you run in it's an occasional.

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by D-Wreck » Sat May 18, 2024 9:29 am

lutecat wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:00 am
Though we don't have it in MT yet, hard Mtn Dew.
I could swear I saw some of these in the new mega-Town Pump beer cave on Shiloh & King here in Billings.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon May 20, 2024 10:16 am

lutecat wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:00 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
You're actually really wrong on this. As someone that has their toes in the beer business waters

Seltzers are on a down turn. FMB(flavored malt beverages) are where the growth is. Arizona tea. Twisted tea is a Monster and continues to grow. Simply. Though we don't have it in MT yet, hard Mtn Dew. If you aren't White Claw or Truly, you have no business being in the seltzer business. To your thoughts about Bud Light, Coors/Lt, Models, Corona, that's alot of brands that have brand loya consumersl. You aren't getting coors light drinkers of any significance to move to some micro brew even if it is a Bobcat branded beer. They only drink that beer. Craft beer drinkers with move around and drink other beers and styles that aren't their go to. I think the point is, this isn't going to be a beer that gets every Bobcat fan to drink it. This should be a Bobcat beer that speaks to the most craft drinkers out there, that can pull some non craft drinkers to drink it. I could go with a Mexican Lager. But MAP already has a good one and it's called Party.

And you're wrong about cold smoke. There's no occasionally about it. It's solid beer and it's got a rep for a reason. Maybe in the circles you run in it's an occasional.
This. I was going to weigh in but you said it better. And I don't just have my toes dipped, I'm fully submerged. People who drink MCB (Miller, Coors, Bud. etc.) are super loyal and rarely go away from their brand. People into craft are into flavor and are much more adventurous when it comes to what they buy. Cold Smoke is probably the best selling Micro in Montana and its a big Scottish. The other big seller here in Helena is Single Malt from Blackfoot and its an IPA.
If you go after the MCB drinkers it will mostly likely be a huge shelf turd. They'll try it once but then go back their brand. Map is a craft brewery and so make a good beer, no matter what it is and those drinkers will embrace it.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon May 20, 2024 11:10 am

If you try to make this a beer that everyone will like, you'll end up with a beer that nobody will buy. You need to appeal to the craft beer drinkers but in a way that isn't too niche (i.e. an Amber or Session IPA instead of a Double IPA or sour beer).

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon May 20, 2024 2:49 pm

bvancleeve wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:45 pm
Hey, Bobcat Nation! 🐾

Exciting news! The Bobcat Collective is partnering with MAP Brewing Co. to create the ultimate tailgating beer for the upcoming Bobcat Football season. But here's the best part – we want Bobcat Nation to create it!

We're calling on all of you to be part of the collaboration:
  • Can Design: Let your creativity shine and design a can that embodies Bobcat spirit. No graphic design experience? No problem! Share your sketches, images, or ideas, and we'll refine them. (Note: Montana State logos/imagery can't be used, so be imaginative!)
  • Name the Beer: Help us come up with a bold, spirited name that represents Bobcat Nation. (Note: Use of Montana State related names will be restricted)
  • Create the Flavor: What flavors scream "game day" to you? Hoppy? Light? Amber? Let us know!
Awards: We'll have prizes for the best ideas in each category!

Must be 21 or older to participate.

Share your suggestions on this thread, our social posts, or however you'd like, and let's make this a brew to remember. Competition runs through June so we can have "cans in hands" by Gold Rush!

Let's make some noise and some fantastic beer! 🍻
The winning idea just came to me.

Viva Los Gatos Mexican Lager.

Can design would be Champ wearing a Lucha Libre mask wrestling a grizzly bear.

VAMOS GATOS!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon May 20, 2024 3:44 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 2:49 pm
bvancleeve wrote:
Hey, Bobcat Nation! 🐾

Exciting news! The Bobcat Collective is partnering with MAP Brewing Co. to create the ultimate tailgating beer for the upcoming Bobcat Football season. But here's the best part – we want Bobcat Nation to create it!

• Can Design: Let your creativity shine and design a can that embodies Bobcat spirit. No graphic design experience? No problem! Share your sketches, images, or ideas, and we'll refine them. (Note: Montana State logos/imagery can't be used, so be imaginative!)
  • Name the Beer: Help us come up with a bold, spirited name that represents Bobcat Nation. (Note: Use of Montana State related names will be restricted)
  • Create the Flavor: What flavors scream "game day" to you? Hoppy? Light? Amber? Let us know!

Share your suggestions on this thread, our social posts, or however you'd like, and let's make this a brew to remember. Competition runs through June so we can have "cans in hands" by Gold Rush!

VAMOS GATOS!
Take my money!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon May 20, 2024 9:02 pm

wbtfg wrote:
bvancleeve wrote:
Hey, Bobcat Nation! 🐾

VAMOS GATOS!
This is actually a fantastic idea. I love it.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Tue May 21, 2024 9:24 am

wbtfg wrote:
bvancleeve wrote:
Hey, Bobcat Nation! 🐾

VAMOS GATOS!
I mean cool name and idea and all. But what does Bozeman MT have to do with Mexico and Mexican wrestlers?

MAP would have to rebrand their already decently popular Mexican Lager called Party.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue May 21, 2024 10:22 am

lutecat wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:24 am
wbtfg wrote:
bvancleeve wrote:
Hey, Bobcat Nation! 🐾

VAMOS GATOS!
I mean cool name and idea and all. But what does Bozeman MT have to do with Mexico and Mexican wrestlers?

MAP would have to rebrand their already decently popular Mexican Lager called Party.
Nothing....and honestly that's kind of the point.

I feel like Bozeman/MSU has pretty much recycled similar mountain/cowboy/skiing themes to the point of exhaustion.

Also, I was just joking when I said I have the winning idea. You don't have to like it....I'm sure it's not going to be chosen.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue May 21, 2024 12:56 pm

lutecat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bvancleeve wrote:
Hey, Bobcat Nation! 🐾

VAMOS GATOS!

MAP could just use their existing "Party" and rebrand the cans with Bobcat theme and images to promote more at tailgates

Sports is not bigger than life

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue May 21, 2024 12:57 pm

lutecat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bvancleeve wrote:
Hey, Bobcat Nation! 🐾

VAMOS GATOS!

Sports is not bigger than life

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue May 21, 2024 2:42 pm

lutecat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bvancleeve wrote:
Hey, Bobcat Nation! 🐾

VAMOS GATOS!

You haven’t been to Walmart post 5 pm recently, have you?

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Tue May 21, 2024 3:56 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 2:42 pm
lutecat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bvancleeve wrote:
Hey, Bobcat Nation! 🐾

VAMOS GATOS!

You haven’t been to Walmart post 5 pm recently, have you?
There are plenty of Mexican restaurants around, maybe it could find a niche on some of those menus ?

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu May 23, 2024 8:30 am

I offer up the idea of naming this beer RUSH GOLD

The words RUSH GOLD should be printed over a background of the stadium with a sunset scene like during the Gold Rush game.

The beer itself should be something similar to MAP PARTY though needs to be distinctly different.
In keeping with the word rush there should be a taste that gives a little kick.
Another angle would be to have a little caffeine or other stimulant to give the drinker a little rush.
Not wanting it to be a gimmicky beer but we can trust MAP to do this thing right.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Thu May 23, 2024 8:38 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:30 am

The words RUSH GOLD should be printed over a background of the stadium with a sunset scene like during the Gold Rush game.

The beer itself should be something similar to MAP PARTY though needs to be distinctly different.
Another angle would be to have a little caffeine or other stimulant to give the drinker a little rush.
Not wanting it to be a gimmicky beer but we can trust MAP to do this thing right.
I think that is a great idea on the name. Not big on caffeinated alcohol personally. But it’s typically hot during Gold Rush, and so a lighter “Rush Golden Lager” (or maybe Rush Golden Ale) would be awesome.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:46 am

tdub wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:38 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:

I think that is a great idea on the name. Not big on caffeinated alcohol personally. But it’s typically hot during Gold Rush, and so a lighter “Rush Golden Lager” (or maybe Rush Golden Ale) would be awesome.
I like this idea. Good Work!
Too bad Rush Reimer isn't still here.......perfect NIL opportunity.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu May 23, 2024 8:51 am

tdub wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:

I understand you on the caffeine thing and like I said not looking for something too gimmicky but thinking of the younger and larger population of tailgater.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu May 23, 2024 9:15 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:51 am
tdub wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:

I understand you on the caffeine thing and like I said not looking for something too gimmicky but thinking of the younger and larger population of tailgater.
406 LOKO

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!