Big Sky Players in the 2024 Draft

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Big Sky Players in the 2024 Draft

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 5:59 pm
The crying about gubner is classic.
I just can’t believe the next Aaron Donald didn’t get drafted.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 02, 2024 7:34 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 am
94VegasCat wrote:
In his defense, I think when you get down to the seventh round things are thinning out, however, not getting an UDFA deal is tough. Minnesota took a UT-Commerce DL in the 7th round. UTC just moved to FCS in 2022.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Thu May 02, 2024 8:02 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 am
94VegasCat wrote:
I heard on good sources from my wife’s uncles friends sister that no team could compete with Washington stadium of missoula because their goal posts are too short and their mascots aren’t cool enough so they are letting him go out having experienced gris football and nothing is comparable and don’t want to offend him.

Oh and the teams that considered brining him in didn’t have a river

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:46 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:41 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:59 pm
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:31 am
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:07 am
I’m surprised Gubner hasn’t gotten at least a mini-camp invite. I
know Snell has some injury issues, but I thought he might have gotten a look too based on his stellar career, Overall it just seemed to be a bad year for FCS players getting a shot, especially from the Big Sky.
The part that I don't see anyone talking about is that this is indicative of the regression in talent in the FCS. We've been saying it ever since the pandemic. Does no one else see it?

I know it's depressing to think about as we all share college football in Montana being a big part of our lives....
For sure there is less talent in the FCS with the portal. I also didn’t expect the Cats/Griz to get many looks. SDSU had a once in a generation team, so of course had a good year in terms of guys getting a shot in the NFL. However, NDSU still got theirs, and in the grand scheme of things I’d say the Cats/Griz/Bison were pretty equal in terms of talent.

It just surprises me that Gubner in particular has yet to receive an invite. Snell’s injury could have scared teams off as well. Braxton Hill was the only other player that comes to mind out of the Montana schools that might have gotten a look. Obviously there are guys who are more qualified than I am to judge talent for the NFL, but those three players really stood out this year over the past couple of years.
Yeah....no. We still can't hold NDSU's jockstraps, whomever thinks we're on the same level as the Dakotas should probably lay off the wacky.
Odd thing to say when we outplayed them here in Bozeman.
Funny, I remember us losing. Seems like we got out played... in our house... or maybe out coached

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 02, 2024 10:30 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:46 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
know Snell has some injury issues, but I thought he might have gotten a look too based on his stellar career, Overall it just seemed to be a bad year for FCS players getting a shot, especially from the Big Sky.
The part that I don't see anyone talking about is that this is indicative of the regression in talent in the FCS. We've been saying it ever since the pandemic. Does no one else see it?

I know it's depressing to think about as we all share college football in Montana being a big part of our lives....
For sure there is less talent in the FCS with the portal. I also didn’t expect the Cats/Griz to get many looks. SDSU had a once in a generation team, so of course had a good year in terms of guys getting a shot in the NFL. However, NDSU still got theirs, and in the grand scheme of things I’d say the Cats/Griz/Bison were pretty equal in terms of talent.

It just surprises me that Gubner in particular has yet to receive an invite. Snell’s injury could have scared teams off as well. Braxton Hill was the only other player that comes to mind out of the Montana schools that might have gotten a look. Obviously there are guys who are more qualified than I am to judge talent for the NFL, but those three players really stood out this year over the past couple of years.
Yeah....no. We still can't hold NDSU's jockstraps, whomever thinks we're on the same level as the Dakotas should probably lay off the wacky.
Funny, I remember us losing. Seems like we got out played... in our house... or maybe out coached
We played better overall and we lost. It does happen. But hey, we lost by 1 in OT. Seems to me like at minimum, that’s two pretty equal teams. At minimum. But we played better then they did, just couldn’t make a kick.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu May 02, 2024 10:35 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:39 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:59 pm
Clevan to Cleveland

Great to see. Really fun guy in the interview room. Made one of the greatest catches in MSU history.
I thought this was one of the greatest catches in MSU history.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu May 02, 2024 10:59 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

Seems to me I remember a game were Cats left 7 points off the board between missed but makable FG's and a blocked PAT. We lost by 1. Part of the game but all the offensive and defensive numbers favored the Cats.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu May 02, 2024 12:02 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:59 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

Seems to me I remember a game were Cats left 7 points off the board between missed but makable FG's and a blocked PAT. We lost by 1. Part of the game but all the offensive and defensive numbers favored the Cats.
Bottom line, and what matters and what everyone cares about is the W, no matter how it came. We didn't get the points we needed and we lost, and NDSU won again... how many times is that now? But sure we're on the same level of a team who had a crappy year and we still couldn't win. If we were the team we were supposed to be and the team everyone thought they were, we should have smoked NDSU. The fact it's been almost twenty years since we've won and we've been playing catchup ever since is mind boggling. You guys can keep gaslighting yourselves, but we're not there.

NDSU>UM, NDSU>MSU and quite frankly UM is closer to NDSUs level than we are now. It hurts to say but its the facts.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu May 02, 2024 12:22 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:02 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

Bottom line, and what matters and what everyone cares about is the W, no matter how it came. We didn't get the points we needed and we lost, and NDSU won again... how many times is that now? But sure we're on the same level of a team who had a crappy year and we still couldn't win. If we were the team we were supposed to be and the team everyone thought they were, we should have smoked NDSU. The fact it's been almost twenty years since we've won and we've been playing catchup ever since is mind boggling. You guys can keep gaslighting yourselves, but we're not there.

NDSU>UM, NDSU>MSU and quite frankly UM is closer to NDSUs level than we are now. It hurts to say but its the facts.
So if we lose to them by 1 point on a missed XP we can't hold their jockstraps but if UM beats them they also aren't as good as them? This isn't the winning argument you think it is. Whether we've closed the gap because we got better or they got worse or both, we still closed the gap. We should have won but just because they didn't bulldoze the entire FCS doesn't mean they're a crappy team.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 02, 2024 1:40 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

:lol: :lol: Speaking of laying off the wacky, what have you been gorging yourself on today? Weed brownies?

Seriously, first you said MSU isn't on the same level as the Dakotas (and anyone thinking so needs to lay off the wacky) despite losing at SDSU most likely on a bad call and then losing to NDSU on a missed XP. Then you said MSU got outplayed at home by NDSU. Then you basically conceded that they didn't get outplayed by saying all that matters is the W. Now you're saying UM is closer to the NDSUs than MSU. This is the kind of all-over-the-map conversation I'm all too familiar with when conversing with stoners, which I do regularly.

I guess I can see if you think MSU is ahead of UM and UM is ahead of NDSU, that would make UM closer to NDSU's level. I give UM a ton of credit for making a great run last year in the face of adversity. I thought they played well in the championship game despite the score, but I'm not sure what makes you think UM is better than MSU going into this season. Assuming that's what you're asserting. I'm interested to hear what areas UM is ahead of MSU.

Personally, I think MSU has a better OL, QB, and RBs, while UM is better at WR/TE. I think UM has by default a better fg/xp kicker, but MSU has a better punter. UM has a better PR/KR. I think MSU is better in the secondary, LB and DL based on UM losing a total of 8 starters from the title game on defense: two starting DL (Gubner and Edwards), three starting DBs (Walker, Cotton and Fouch), three starting LBs (Janacaro, Hill and Flink). MSU lost a total of 3 defensive starters (Valdez, Askelson and Seymour). I'm not ruling UM out, defensively, simply because they've been able to put together stud defenses over the past few years. However, even if I called all those defensive position groups a draw, MSU will still have the edge in the other categories by a 4-3 count.

Just to make it clear that I'm not homering this, I'm a Twins fans and when they won the '87 Series I didn't think they were better than Detroit, which they beat 4-1 in the ALCS or St. Louis, which they beat in the WS. I also didn't think MSU MBB was the best team in the BSC despite winning the BSC tourney. I also don't think that MSU's 55-21 win over UM in 2022 was indicative of the difference between the two teams.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri May 03, 2024 11:02 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 1:40 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

:lol: :lol: Speaking of laying off the wacky, what have you been gorging yourself on today? Weed brownies?

Seriously, first you said MSU isn't on the same level as the Dakotas (and anyone thinking so needs to lay off the wacky) despite losing at SDSU most likely on a bad call clearly out of bounds and then losing to NDSU on a missed XP. Then you said MSU got outplayed at home by NDSU uh we won? seems like if we didn't get out played we would have won . Then you basically conceded that they didn't get outplayed by saying all that matters is the W. please show me where I conceded, my whole ****** post is about being outplayed, outcoached and out prepared, but keep making ****** up Now you're saying UM is closer to the NDSUs than MSU uh yep, if I remember right UM went to the Natty, what's your guage? seems like if we haven't beaten the same team in 20 years and now suddenly we're on the same level...mmmkay.. This is the kind of all-over-the-map conversation I'm all too familiar with when conversing with stoners, which I do regularlycool.

I guess I can see if you think MSU is ahead of UM and UM is ahead of NDSU, that would make UM closer to NDSU's level. I give UM a ton of credit for making a great run last year in the face of adversity. I thought they played well in the championship game despite the score, but I'm not sure what makes you think UM is better than MSU going into this season. Assuming that's what you're asserting. I'm interested to hear what areas UM is ahead of MSU. why don't you go watch the last game

Personally, I think MSU has a better OL, QB, and RBs, while UM is better at WR/TE. I think UM has by default a better fg/xp kicker, but MSU has a better punter. UM has a better PR/KR. I think MSU is better in the secondary, LB and DL based on UM losing a total of 8 starters from the title game on defense: two starting DL (Gubner and Edwards), three starting DBs (Walker, Cotton and Fouch), three starting LBs (Janacaro, Hill and Flink). MSU lost a total of 3 defensive starters (Valdez, Askelson and Seymour). I'm not ruling UM out, defensively, simply because they've been able to put together stud defenses over the past few years. However, even if I called all those defensive position groups a draw, MSU will still have the edge in the other categories by a 4-3 count. so your opinion is fact and the only one that matters?

Just to make it clear that I'm not homering this, I'm a Twins fans and when they won the '87 Series I didn't think they were better than Detroit, which they beat 4-1 in the ALCS or St. Louis, which they beat in the WS. I also didn't think MSU MBB was the best team in the BSC despite winning the BSC tourney. I also don't think that MSU's 55-21 win over UM in 2022 was indicative of the difference between the two teams yet it happened. get over yourself you think you're more important than you are, If you want to attack my opinion I'll return the favor

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Fri May 03, 2024 11:28 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:02 am
TomCat88 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

Seriously, first you said MSU isn't on the same level as the Dakotas (and anyone thinking so needs to lay off the wacky) despite losing at SDSU most likely on a bad call clearly out of bounds and then losing to NDSU on a missed XP. Then you said MSU got outplayed at home by NDSU uh we won? seems like if we didn't get out played we would have won . Then you basically conceded that they didn't get outplayed by saying all that matters is the W. please show me where I conceded, my whole ****** post is about being outplayed, outcoached and out prepared, but keep making ****** up Now you're saying UM is closer to the NDSUs than MSU uh yep, if I remember right UM went to the Natty, what's your guage? seems like if we haven't beaten the same team in 20 years and now suddenly we're on the same level...mmmkay.. This is the kind of all-over-the-map conversation I'm all too familiar with when conversing with stoners, which I do regularlycool.

I guess I can see if you think MSU is ahead of UM and UM is ahead of NDSU, that would make UM closer to NDSU's level. I give UM a ton of credit for making a great run last year in the face of adversity. I thought they played well in the championship game despite the score, but I'm not sure what makes you think UM is better than MSU going into this season. Assuming that's what you're asserting. I'm interested to hear what areas UM is ahead of MSU. why don't you go watch the last game

Personally, I think MSU has a better OL, QB, and RBs, while UM is better at WR/TE. I think UM has by default a better fg/xp kicker, but MSU has a better punter. UM has a better PR/KR. I think MSU is better in the secondary, LB and DL based on UM losing a total of 8 starters from the title game on defense: two starting DL (Gubner and Edwards), three starting DBs (Walker, Cotton and Fouch), three starting LBs (Janacaro, Hill and Flink). MSU lost a total of 3 defensive starters (Valdez, Askelson and Seymour). I'm not ruling UM out, defensively, simply because they've been able to put together stud defenses over the past few years. However, even if I called all those defensive position groups a draw, MSU will still have the edge in the other categories by a 4-3 count. so your opinion is fact and the only one that matters?

Just to make it clear that I'm not homering this, I'm a Twins fans and when they won the '87 Series I didn't think they were better than Detroit, which they beat 4-1 in the ALCS or St. Louis, which they beat in the WS. I also didn't think MSU MBB was the best team in the BSC despite winning the BSC tourney. I also don't think that MSU's 55-21 win over UM in 2022 was indicative of the difference between the two teams yet it happened. get over yourself you think you're more important than you are, If you want to attack my opinion I'll return the favor
When you indicate we lost to NDSU last year and got beat badly by um, that is completely accurate. Although I would argue that's not you giving an opinion. When you say: "we can't hold NDSU's jockstrap" or indicate we aren't at the same level as NDSU, that is flat-out and indisputably wrong. Your opinion is wrong. I'm saying you are wrong with your opinion (i.e. your opinion is incorrect).

JoeCatsJoe
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JoeCatsJoe » Fri May 03, 2024 11:54 am

See @TomCat , I would have said we were better at all of those positions going into the brawl last year. And yet we got beat. Handily. Talent wise, I think we’re darn close to the Dakota schools, but culture and coaching are important too. And the fact we lost nearly ALL important games last season tells me we’re lacking in something, and it doesn’t look like talent to me. I don’t know what it is, but something was missing, at least last year.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 03, 2024 11:59 am

JoeCatsJoe wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:54 am
See @TomCat , I would have said we were better at all of those positions going into the brawl last year. And yet we got beat. Handily. Talent wise, I think we’re darn close to the Dakota schools, but culture and coaching are important too. And the fact we lost nearly ALL important games last season tells me we’re lacking in something, and it doesn’t look like talent to me. I don’t know what it is, but something was missing, at least last year.
Home field advantage (minus the NDSU game that we lost on a PAT)? It could be as simple as that. We lost 2 road games by one score and the other one in the rivalry which has seen dramatic home field advantage lately.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 03, 2024 12:35 pm

JoeCatsJoe wrote:
Well, like I said, the better teams don’t always win. I’m a Twins fan and can admit that they weren’t as good as Detroit, which they beat 4 games to 1 in the 1987 ALCS. Just because MSU lost those games doesn’t mean those teams were on a “different level”. A different level - to me at least - means that there’s a pronounced difference. Like, typically, one team is 7-1 in a conference in games against common opponents and another is 5-3.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 03, 2024 1:15 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:02 am
TomCat88 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

You literally just told people who had a differing opinion than yours that they need to get off the wacky. I laughed about it and explained my stance and it triggers you? Your self-awareness is now in question here.

toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri May 03, 2024 5:18 pm

lol... there are some silly takes in this thread, IMO. To say there's some huge gap between MSU and the DSU's... laughable. Our team last year was right there, just couldn't catch a break. As for the comment about how the Cats lost all the "big" games, they're all big... and the Cats have been winning a LOT of them the past few years. Last year, yep the Cats didn't quite achieve the ultimate goal but we all knew the end of that season was going to be brutal. Idaho and UM games were let downs for sure. The Cats lost to the three best teams in the FCS and two of them could have gone either way. Last, as for UM being way ahead of the Cats..... it sure didn't look that way when Gameday came to town!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

JoeCatsJoe
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JoeCatsJoe » Fri May 03, 2024 8:29 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 12:35 pm
JoeCatsJoe wrote:
Well, like I said, the better teams don’t always win. I’m a Twins fan and can admit that they weren’t as good as Detroit, which they beat 4 games to 1 in the 1987 ALCS. Just because MSU lost those games doesn’t mean those teams were on a “different level”. A different level - to me at least - means that there’s a pronounced difference. Like, typically, one team is 7-1 in a conference in games against common opponents and another is 5-3.
I can agree with that. However, we lost ALL those games last year. Is it fair to say we weren’t on the same level (in some area) this past year?

JoeCatsJoe
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JoeCatsJoe » Fri May 03, 2024 9:20 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:59 am
JoeCatsJoe wrote:
Home field advantage (minus the NDSU game that we lost on a PAT)? It could be as simple as that. We lost 2 road games by one score and the other one in the rivalry which has seen dramatic home field advantage lately.
I think we win the Idaho game and probably the SDSU game at home. But part of being a championship team is winning tough games on the road, and winning tightly contested games. We really failed to do so. I have a hard time putting it solely on that. Especially with the NDSU game on our resume.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat May 04, 2024 6:43 am

JoeCatsJoe wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:20 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 11:59 am
JoeCatsJoe wrote:
I think we win the Idaho game and probably the SDSU game at home. But part of being a championship team is winning tough games on the road, and winning tightly contested games. We really failed to do so. I have a hard time putting it solely on that. Especially with the NDSU game on our resume.
This entire “jockstrap” debate was weird from the first post, but factually, obviously there is only one championship team each season, last year SDSU was far ahead of every other team, and Montana State gave them their most difficult test all season.

These are all simply based on actual reality of what happened in 2023, oddball post from @luckyirishguy25 aside. Him dying on that hill has been solid entertainment in a good way.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride