New Video Board out to bid

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: New Video Board out to bid

Post by cats2506 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:26 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:12 am
MSU Toddler wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:54 am
St George wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:29 am
St George wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:55 pm

When did the location change?
I thought this location tied everything together. The new location to me is "just squeeze it in way back here and forget the other sports."

I'm not certain, but from the sounds of the MSU hotel proposal that hotel would be built somewhere near where the indoor practice facility was orginally planned. A lot is happening now.
From the newspaper article.

“The hotel will be along South Seventh Avenue, south of Norm Asbjornson Hall and near the university’s north and south dome gyms.”
Sounds like its in that parking lot, damn I'm gonna have to find a new place to park on gameday

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:28 am

Estimated cost of $214 a sq ft seems a little low with today's construction costs. Unless they aren't getting any monies subject to Davis-Bacon... :-k

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:37 am

Last edited by Hawks86 on Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:51 am

The Butcher wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:28 am
Estimated cost of $214 a sq ft seems a little low with today's construction costs. Unless they aren't getting any monies subject to Davis-Bacon... :-k
It's basically a warehouse with upgraded flooring. I know that's over-simplifying, but it's not like they're building a ton of interior walls or adding fancy fixtures.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:16 am

cats2506 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:26 am
AFCAT wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
St George wrote:
St George wrote:

I thought this location tied everything together. The new location to me is "just squeeze it in way back here and forget the other sports."

I'm not certain, but from the sounds of the MSU hotel proposal that hotel would be built somewhere near where the indoor practice facility was orginally planned. A lot is happening now.

“The hotel will be along South Seventh Avenue, south of Norm Asbjornson Hall and near the university’s north and south dome gyms.”
Sounds like its in that parking lot, damn I'm gonna have to find a new place to park on gameday
Just get a hotel room in the new hotel😄. If they are really a hospitality organization, they will charge $1000/night.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:17 am

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:16 am
cats2506 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
St George wrote:
St George wrote:

Just get a hotel room in the new hotel😄. If they are really a hospitality organization, they will charge $1000/night.
And oh yeah, 3 night minimum stay.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:24 am

Montanabob wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
St George wrote:
St George wrote:

A Hotel, This means they will have to hire a bunch of Grizzlies to clean the rooms.

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:27 am

The Butcher wrote:
While Davis-Bacon likely doesn’t apply, Montana’s prevailing wage rates (state equivalent to federal D-B wages) will almost certainly apply.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:49 pm

ECBobcat wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:27 am
The Butcher wrote:
While Davis-Bacon likely doesn’t apply, Montana’s prevailing wage rates (state equivalent to federal D-B wages) will almost certainly apply.
I was making the comment in jest. However, considering the current market costs, I have some doubts whether the project could be completed at $214 per square foot. In my estimation, a more realistic range would be around $275 to $300 per square foot.

After conducting brief internet research ( :wink: ) on obtaining a federal block grant for athletic facilities for a state university is possible if the application is a well-constructed proposal. With that, Davis-Bacon would apply, and interestingly some contractors get caught up under the apprentice wage schedule (in my understanding plumbers for some reason have this issue more than others?). However, it is important to note that state governments typically play a significant role in the administration and distribution of federal block grants. While there are instances where these grants can bypass state governments and be allocated directly to local governments or other entities, such cases are generally uncommon. Considering the historical context of Montana's state government and their level of financial support towards MSU, it is highly unlikely that such an allocation would occur.

Thank you for sending me down this rabbit hole. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:20 pm

St George wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:24 am
Montanabob wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
St George wrote:
St George wrote:

A Hotel, This means they will have to hire a bunch of Grizzlies to clean the rooms.
I don't know, might be hard to find enough an applicant pool if they only use um graduates. They can't afford to live in Bozeman earning minimum wage. And besides, McDonald's pays more for cook apprentices.

St George

Post by St George » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:43 pm

Back to the video board. Has anyone seen what they plan on the back side? Advertising?

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:52 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:43 pm
damnyoutuesday wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:27 pm
St George wrote:

When they realized they would rather not have our star athletes cross Kagy everyday to practice anymore
One can assume Kagy will soon be a memory and closed to all traffic. The sooner the better, in my opinion.
Kagy will be five lanes in the next three years. Bids Docs go out 2024/25. The city is building a new fire station behind the MSU police station. Martel just broke ground on it. Kagy will never close.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:55 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:52 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:43 pm
damnyoutuesday wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:27 pm
St George wrote:

When they realized they would rather not have our star athletes cross Kagy everyday to practice anymore
One can assume Kagy will soon be a memory and closed to all traffic. The sooner the better, in my opinion.
Kagy will be five lanes in the next three years. Bids Docs go out 2024/25. The city is building a new fire station behind the MSU police station. Martel just broke ground on it. Kagy will never close.
Yep, that was another off kilter post by a mostly off kilter poster. Closing Kagy would create a traffic nightmare in a town with existing poorly planned urban traffic management. Makes me appreciate living in Billings that much more. The major beltways currently under construction - Billings Bypass and the Skyway Drive/Zimmerman Trail connector - have been well planned and will allow for manageable traffic for years to come. Bozeman is going the way of Austin. Liberal college town in a conservative state that grew too fast without foresight, resulting in terrible traffic.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:35 pm

Anyone know if Learfield is kicking in any money for our scoreboard, like they did for UM?

Punters are people too!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:37 pm

Yeah, I can’t see Kagy ever closing. West Grant, near Romney Hall and the new health and fitness complex, has been closed for years now due to the construction of those facilities. I can see Grant closing down permanently but not Kagy.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

damnyoutuesday
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by damnyoutuesday » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:09 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:37 pm
Yeah, I can’t see Kagy ever closing. West Grant, near Romney Hall and the new health and fitness complex, has been closed for years now due to the construction of those facilities. I can see Grant closing down permanently but not Kagy.
Heard from some ASMSU people a couple years ago that they were planning on keeping Grant closed permanently after the Fitness Center opens. No idea if that is still the plan

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:48 pm

damnyoutuesday wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:09 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Heard from some ASMSU people a couple years ago that they were planning on keeping Grant closed permanently after the Fitness Center opens. No idea if that is still the plan
It's not MSU's call. It's the cities. MSU wanted to close it a few years ago. The city said no. I'm sick of MSU thinking they own the town. With the new hotel going in. I don't see the city letting MSU bottle neck traffic into it.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:43 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:35 pm
Anyone know if Learfield is kicking in any money for our scoreboard, like they did for UM?
I was told a few months back that Learfield wasn’t involved in the project, but at that time MSU was still short some cash for completion, so that may have changed things.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

cat-o-nine
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by cat-o-nine » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:20 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:48 pm
damnyoutuesday wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
It's not MSU's call. It's the cities. MSU wanted to close it a few years ago. The city said no. I'm sick of MSU thinking they own the town. With the new hotel going in. I don't see the city letting MSU bottle neck traffic into it.
I would think a good option would be to build a walking bridge over the top of Kagy leading to the stadium. One of my sons attended Arizona State and they have one over one of the major streets thru campus. It looks good and keeps everyone safe.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:25 am

cat-o-nine wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:20 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:48 pm
damnyoutuesday wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
I would think a good option would be to build a walking bridge over the top of Kagy leading to the stadium. One of my sons attended Arizona State and they have one over one of the major streets thru campus. It looks good and keeps everyone safe.
Great project. Get all the graduating engineers to submit a design that they win ten years of season tickets if the design wins. I know that's really cheap, but if they are just graduating they are broke.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic