MSU Fundraising - Facilities vs NIL Collective

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

MSU Fundraising - Facilities vs NIL Collective

Post by PapaG » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:56 pm

Would it be somewhat forward-thinking to slow down the facilities ‘arms race’ and instead put that money toward NIL $$ for student-athletes? It seems like facilities are a never-ending game of One-upmanship while money may be better served in going to recruiting players. By the time a facility project is complete, somebody else is improving on it elsewhere.

MSU does need some sort of inside practice facility IMO, which doesn’t need to cost a fortune, but why a costly stadium expansion in this new era of paying players?

It is just a thought on where college football is heading. I’m not advocating for it but rather am wondering how others think MSU should navigate the NIL era.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU Fundraising - Facilities vs NIL Collective

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:17 pm

NIL Collectives can't be associated with the college. They have to be separate entities from outside the school.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:46 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:17 pm
NIL Collectives can't be associated with the college. They have to be separate entities from outside the school.
I assume there's a significant overlap between people funding the Collective and people donating to the program directly or via QBC.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:54 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:56 pm
Would it be somewhat forward-thinking to slow down the facilities ‘arms race’ and instead put that money toward NIL $$ for student-athletes? It seems like facilities are a never-ending game of One-upmanship while money may be better served in going to recruiting players. By the time a facility project is complete, somebody else is improving on it elsewhere.

MSU does need some sort of inside practice facility IMO, which doesn’t need to cost a fortune, but why a costly stadium expansion in this new era of paying players?

It is just a thought on where college football is heading. I’m not advocating for it but rather am wondering how others think MSU should navigate the NIL era.
I'm not sure we are losing, or will lose, many recruits due to NIL competition. These guys still want fancy locker rooms and training facilities and don't want to practice outside in the winter/spring. Once we can give them that and take away some of the reasons not to come here we might need more NIL opportunities to pull ahead but I don't think that's the top priority at this point.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:09 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:54 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:56 pm

I'm not sure we are losing, or will lose, many recruits due to NIL competition. These guys still want fancy locker rooms and training facilities and don't want to practice outside in the winter/spring. Once we can give them that and take away some of the reasons not to come here we might need more NIL opportunities to pull ahead but I don't think that's the top priority at this point.
I think you're right. We tend to think MSU is losing recruits because Texas is offering $1M NIL deals. MSU was never competing for those same players, so that's irrelevant. MSU--and we as donors--has to figure out who they're competing with for recruits, and then what disadvantages they have when compared to THOSE schools, and not Texas and Michigan and Georgia. If we're talking about coming up with $5k a year per player, is that really enough to move the needle? Maybe not. Maybe a great stadium and practice facilities make a bigger difference, I don't know.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:31 pm

In order to compete with the four Dakota schools (and Incarnate Word but their donor is somewhat unique to FCS schools) MSU needs to improve their facilities and step up the NIL offerings as long as the BOR will not fund FCOA and provide for stipends to the kids.

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:45 pm

Facilities (indoor practice space) should be the top priority. As mentioned before, I’m not so sure we are losing out on recruits due to lack of NIL.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:14 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:31 pm
In order to compete with the four Dakota schools (and Incarnate Word but their donor is somewhat unique to FCS schools) MSU needs to improve their facilities and step up the NIL offerings as long as the BOR will not fund FCOA and provide for stipends to the kids.
I always thought full cost of attendance would have to be funded by the school through donations or other means and not with taxpayers money. The BOR would have to approve FCOA but they don’t have anything to do with funding.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:43 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:14 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
I always thought full cost of attendance would have to be funded by the school through donations or other means and not with taxpayers money. The BOR would have to approve FCOA but they don’t have anything to do with funding.
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2015/1/18/aut ... ships.aspx

With my son, he had five years provided whether he got hurt or cut even though he graduated within three years because of dual enrollment coursework in high school. His stipend was pretty decent too.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:53 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:43 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

With my son, he had five years provided whether he got hurt or cut even though he graduated within three years because of dual enrollment coursework in high school. His stipend was pretty decent too.
How is FCOA funded?

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:58 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:53 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

How is FCOA funded?
Depends on the school and state and how that school receives the athletic program's funding. MSU's prior football coach got pretty upset over the lack of funding for it.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:29 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:58 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:53 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

How is FCOA funded?
Depends on the school and state and how that school receives the athletic program's funding. MSU's prior football coach got pretty upset over the lack of funding for it.
I remember him getting upset that the BOR wouldn’t approve FCOA unless both schools did the same thing. Finding the cash is also a huge issue.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:40 pm

Team success first

Individual profit second.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:28 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:17 pm
The same big donors support both factions. I’m wondering where the $$ is best spent. NILs from donors that help cover tuition/board costs for players basically circumvent the scholarship restrictions and increase the depth of talent. Even $5k/semester goes a long way in swaying decisions and would help attract in-state players who rarely get full-ride scholarships.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:33 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:40 pm
Team success first

Individual profit second.
Those aren’t mutually exclusive. I see them as totally connected in a chicken-egg way.

What a ride

PortlandCat90

Post by PortlandCat90 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:06 pm

Kinda sorta related but my daughter participated in an Indoor High School Track Meet in Norman over the weekend and the athletes warmed up in the IPF for OU. We need one. I was jealous. I can't help but think that the (true) additional practices that would be held in an IPF would greatly benefit us mixed with the one or two "make us men" practices in the snow.

Great topic, by the way. I think if we want to remain competitive the way we are now serious money needs to keep flowing, regardless of the source. Seems as if there is a golfer nearby riding the University's coat tails for some additional press that could grab a few buddies and chip in (pun intended). Would really boost recruiting in my mind. Plus that would be a long-term investment to the program.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:06 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:06 pm
Kinda sorta related but my daughter participated in an Indoor High School Track Meet in Norman over the weekend and the athletes warmed up in the IPF for OU. We need one. I was jealous. I can't help but think that the (true) additional practices that would be held in an IPF would greatly benefit us mixed with the one or two "make us men" practices in the snow.

Great topic, by the way. I think if we want to remain competitive the way we are now serious money needs to keep flowing, regardless of the source. Seems as if there is a golfer nearby riding the University's coat tails for some additional press that could grab a few buddies and chip in (pun intended). Would really boost recruiting in my mind. Plus that would be a long-term investment to the program.
They send me fundraising emails fairly often, do you think they haven't approached him. Maybe you would pay a bunch of money to golf with him.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:38 pm

allcat wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:06 pm
PortlandCat90 wrote:

They send me fundraising emails fairly often, do you think they haven't approached him. Maybe you would pay a bunch of money to golf with him.
To be fair, he already helped raise a bunch of scholly money in the Blue and Gold gala last Fall.

PortlandCat90

Post by PortlandCat90 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:33 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:38 pm
allcat wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:

To be fair, he already helped raise a bunch of scholly money in the Blue and Gold gala last Fall.
Awesome - thanks for the info.

We were fortunate enough to be involved in a charitable fundraiser (non-MSU) at the Wilderness Club many moons ago. With the draw of Bozeman I would bet heavily that a strong partnership with Faldo would only pay dividends with his network. "The Sir Faldo & Friends Indoor Practice Facility and Golf Range" would fit perfectly across the main entance.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:26 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:33 am
AFCAT wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:38 pm
allcat wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:

Awesome - thanks for the info.

We were fortunate enough to be involved in a charitable fundraiser (non-MSU) at the Wilderness Club many moons ago. With the draw of Bozeman I would bet heavily that a strong partnership with Faldo would only pay dividends with his network. "The Sir Faldo & Friends Indoor Practice Facility and Golf Range" would fit perfectly across the main entance.
And Golf Range.... lol, I like it. Put up ball nets and the ladies golf team could use it too.