Name the student section

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Name the student section

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:50 pm

JDoub wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:33 pm
I like Gold Mine!

Ideas from our fight song:
Vim Zone
The SUAC (Stand Up And Cheer)
Gold Wave

The Den
Vim Block

I didn't realize this is for basketball, but could work for football too I guess
I did like the MUSS when we lived in SLC - Mighty Utah Student Section - good for all sports & seems unique
I think Vim Zone is now my favorite.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:01 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:26 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:54 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:20 pm
PapaG wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:17 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:48 am
I like the Gold Pit or Gold Mine. Nothing too crazy here folks.
I liked Gold Mine as well.

People tend to get too cute with nicknames. Take the Seattle NHL team. The Seattle Kraken? Sounds like some independent league team when the following options were available.

Seattle Steelheads
Seattle Salmon

or, if you want a mythical name … Seattle Sasquatch.

Kraken is just dumb and has nothing to do with the PNW.

Gold Mine. Wrap it up because the contest is over.
Disagree....I think Kraken is one of the best names in all of professional sports.
Yea Kraken is awesome. There is a huge maritime community out here so it fits, even if the Kraken itself isn't local (or even American). It was the fan favorite name too so it's cool they relied so much on the fans when choosing the name.

Their color scheme is hideous though. I like hockey and I'd love to switch my affiliation from the Blues to the Kraken but I just hate the colors too damn much. Need to get to a game though.
Some of my favorite memories as a young lad growing up in Seattle are of when Lenny Wilkens would release The Kraken and it would emerge from the depths of Puget Sound. Awe inspiring.

To each their own but I still see it as a gimmicky name and somewhat of an embarrassment.
I guess if you think about it, all team names are gimmicks to promote the teams and are really kind of strange. We really aren’t Bobcats.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:04 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:01 pm
PapaG wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

People tend to get too cute with nicknames. Take the Seattle NHL team. The Seattle Kraken? Sounds like some independent league team when the following options were available.

Seattle Steelheads
Seattle Salmon

Disagree....I think Kraken is one of the best names in all of professional sports.
Yea Kraken is awesome. There is a huge maritime community out here so it fits, even if the Kraken itself isn't local (or even American). It was the fan favorite name too so it's cool they relied so much on the fans when choosing the name.

Their color scheme is hideous though. I like hockey and I'd love to switch my affiliation from the Blues to the Kraken but I just hate the colors too damn much. Need to get to a game though.
Some of my favorite memories as a young lad growing up in Seattle are of when Lenny Wilkens would release The Kraken and it would emerge from the depths of Puget Sound. Awe inspiring.

To each their own but I still see it as a gimmicky name and somewhat of an embarrassment.
I guess if you think about it, all team names are gimmicks to promote the teams and are really kind of strange. We really aren’t Bobcats.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:00 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:04 pm
AFCAT wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Seattle Steelheads
Seattle Salmon

Wait a minute, some of us really are Bobcats. So speak for yourself there AFCat. :lol:

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cat Fish
New Recruit

Post by Cat Fish » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:07 pm

Cat’s Crib or Cat’s Cradle

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:39 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:00 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:04 pm
AFCAT wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Seattle Steelheads
Seattle Salmon

Wait a minute, some of us really are Bobcats. So speak for yourself there AFCat. :lol:
Yeah man what's up. I totally saw this guy at the last basketball game.

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by RICO CAT » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:01 pm

Spy Balloon Zone

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:39 pm

PapaG wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Seattle Steelheads
Seattle Salmon

The Gold Mine. I like it. It would work for basketball and football alike. And Volleyball. And Track. Anywhere that a physical area can be devoted to the pep band, the cheer squads, and the students. It could even be portable, traveling to Boise and to Frisco every year. Need a few timbers for visual identity or a gateway. Lots of gold clothing (indoors and warm weather). I can see this in my mind’s eye …

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:56 am

Champs Camp.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:58 am

Bobcat Student Section. Naming that area something else is about as cheesy as changing Cat-Griz to "Brawl of the Wild."

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:45 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:58 am
Bobcat Student Section. Naming that area something else is about as cheesy as changing Cat-Griz to "Brawl of the Wild."
I kind of agree. I do think if they force it, it could be pretty dumb. If somebody comes up with something great, I'm all for it. If it's an eye roller, "Bobcat Student Section" is a better name.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:09 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:45 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
I kind of agree. I do think if they force it, it could be pretty dumb. If somebody comes up with something great, I'm all for it. If it's an eye roller, "Bobcat Student Section" is a better name.
Antidisestablishment just isn't practiced anymore. Can't stand doing something new just because it's the latest, lame fad. Who cares if everybody else does it?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:49 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Doesn't matter if it's cheesy if it works. Other than the Cat/Griz game the basketball student section already has a name and it's Empty Seats.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:37 pm

Precface: I'm shizbammed.

Idea: student section has subsections/tiers.

Green circles: those who are there to socialize and look at their phones

Blue squares: come to some games, show interest in the game but not overly vocal.

Black Diamond: come to most games. Pretty vocal

Double black Diamond. Super fan who comes to all games and lives and dies with a bobcat win or loss.

Student section called "The slope" "the avalanche" "the mountain" "the ridge" or something like that with tiered seating sections. Double black Diamonds are front and center...

Hiccup.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:21 am

wbtfg wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:37 pm
Precface: I'm shizbammed.

Idea: student section has subsections/tiers.

Green circles: those who are there to socialize and look at their phones

Blue squares: come to some games, show interest in the game but not overly vocal.

Black Diamond: come to most games. Pretty vocal

Double black Diamond. Super fan who comes to all games and lives and dies with a bobcat win or loss.

Student section called "The slope" "the avalanche" "the mountain" "the ridge" or something like that with tiered seating sections. Double black Diamonds are front and center...

Hiccup.
Did you compost this at the cats paw?🤣

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:40 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:49 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Doesn't matter if it's cheesy if it works. Other than the Cat/Griz game the basketball student section already has a name and it's Empty Seats.
Hey! You've got it! Cheesy Empty Seats Section with Cute Nickname!

Too bad MSU isn't in a town that lends itself to something like the zoo...

Wonder if you could get some connection to the Chinese Weather Balloon and all the ICBMs from the last couple of days? (I know, MSU doesn't offer aeronautical engineering but still...) Somehow tie that into all the Huawei Cell Towers various and assorted cell providers are using right next to all of the silos? Maybe have a big drum in the middle of the section and call it the Boom Room?

FA_Q_M
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FA_Q_M » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:53 pm

When the south EZ first opened, I proposed Area 52...in honor of Coach Holland.

Also, "brawl of the wild" is super lame. Should be called "the great divide"

Just my 2 cents....

the ghost of cat_stache_fever

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:08 am

The Bobcat Den…OR simply, The Den…or The Lair!

The Den or Lair is their “home”, and it smells of all things Bobcat. It’s their ultimate safe place and the place they would fight to the death to defend.

So, that’s my 2 cents! :coffee:

cats_thirdeye
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cats_thirdeye » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:56 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:39 pm
PapaG wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Seattle Steelheads
Seattle Salmon

The Gold Mine. I like it. It would work for basketball and football alike. And Volleyball. And Track. Anywhere that a physical area can be devoted to the pep band, the cheer squads, and the students. It could even be portable, traveling to Boise and to Frisco every year. Need a few timbers for visual identity or a gateway. Lots of gold clothing (indoors and warm weather). I can see this in my mind’s eye …
Then the bookstore needs to get their s#!t together and actually start selling gold gear. I hate that are team colors are blue and gold and all they sell is yellow clothing. They had one Vegas gold Tshirt during their Christmas sales that I bought and love. We need more options though. More Vegas gold please!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:18 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:08 am
The Bobcat Den…OR simply, The Den…or The Lair!

The Den or Lair is their “home”, and it smells of all things Bobcat. It’s their ultimate safe place and the place they would fight to the death to defend.

So, that’s my 2 cents! :coffee:
Safe Place? Ultimate Safe Place is a bit much...