Fun bit of perspective…

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Fun bit of perspective…

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:47 pm

Reading the W&M board tonight, it’s really a great bit of perspective to see them discussing how much better the Cats are than their team and how they aren’t prepared for a prime time program like MSU.

It wasn’t too long ago we were saying the exact same thing about playoff opponents laying the wood to us.

It’s been so amazing to be a fan during our program’s amazing growth the last 6-7 years. Can’t wait to see what the next 5 years bring!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Fun bit of perspective…

Post by onceacat » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:52 pm

Great post.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:02 am

Could not agree more. I was actually wondering a couple weeks ago what sets then FBS teams so far ahead of the FCS teams and I believe it’s the bowl games…….

Hear me out, bowl games allow an extra 2-4 weeks of practice each year, if you’re a senior that’s an extra year of practice.

NDSU has had that for almost a decade over every other FCS school their players have been allowed to practice way more than most schools. We got the same benefit last year, now we get an extra month compared to none playoff teams

Deep playoff runs mean more than games if builds depth in a different manner than we may have realized 10 years ago

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:35 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:02 am
Could not agree more. I was actually wondering a couple weeks ago what sets then FBS teams so far ahead of the FCS teams and I believe it’s the bowl games…….

Hear me out, bowl games allow an extra 2-4 weeks of practice each year, if you’re a senior that’s an extra year of practice.

NDSU has had that for almost a decade over every other FCS school their players have been allowed to practice way more than most schools. We got the same benefit last year, now we get an extra month compared to none playoff teams

Deep playoff runs mean more than games if builds depth in a different manner than we may have realized 10 years ago
NDSU also carries 120 players and not 105 like most.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:25 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:35 am
catgrad05 wrote:

Is there no limit? Other than at 120, players should quit signing up.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:34 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:47 pm
Reading the W&M board tonight, it’s really a great bit of perspective to see them discussing how much better the Cats are than their team and how they aren’t prepared for a prime time program like MSU.

It wasn’t too long ago we were saying the exact same thing about playoff opponents laying the wood to us.

It’s been so amazing to be a fan during our program’s amazing growth the last 6-7 years. Can’t wait to see what the next 5 years bring!
I’d be more impressed if they understood this before we played. We’re better than them at every position.

And we play clean. What a dirty bunch they were

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:19 am

catgrad05 wrote:

Dan Davies made a similar comment on the post game radio show last night. Saying that is one of the reasons the Griz were as good as they were, you know, like 15-20 years ago. 😉

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:48 am

Pecos24 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:19 am
catgrad05 wrote:

Dan Davies made a similar comment on the post game radio show last night. Saying that is one of the reasons the Griz were as good as they were, you know, like 15-20 years ago. 😉
Re: Bill and Mary @ Montana State 8:15pm Friday - ESPN2
Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:18 am

Since 2018 MSU has played 7 more games than W&M. In the past 2 years alone MSU has played 4 more games than W&M. If we look only at playoff games since 2018, MSU has played 10 games to W&M's 1 and 5:1 more in the last 2 years.

My point is that any extra games that either team has been able to play have been opportunities to help that team and its players develop and improve their skills. MSU has had many more of those opportunities, especially when it comes to playoff games where the competition should be the stiffest.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:51 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:25 am
Montanabob wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:

Limit of 105 on the roster until the first day of class. Limit of 125 after class starts. Limit of 56 on travel squad. Limit of number on scholarship.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BFcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BFcatfan » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:29 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:47 pm

Agreed, on a side note I stand down by the cannon every game, we love it there. I was watching the W&M crowd as the Spirit of the West took the field before the game, the introduction on the video board with Beth Dutton, the Horses running out on the field, the fireworks….the look on their faces were priceless… they were in awe…as I am every time. I love our Cats and we’re they have come from. But as a Cat fan I always go out of my way to show opposing teams and fans respect, I refuse to be the Griz fan who always had rude comments to me over the years. If they want to start trash talking to me first, I’m all in and usually win that battle…

With success comes attention, with attention comes cockiness, with cockiness comes arrogance, with arrogance comes rudeness...and they wonder why I hate the Griz ! FTG

js1010
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by js1010 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:20 pm

The W&M perspective of the game last night is probably similar to ours in 2018 after we went into the fargodome and got thumped 52-10. I think that day Bobcat Nation fully understood the level of physicality and line play needed to hang at the top of the FCS. MSU then committed to the proverbial arms race we needed to in order to compete for a nation championship. It'll be interesting to see if W&M learned a similar lesson or not.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:29 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:51 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:25 am
Montanabob wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:

Limit of 105 on the roster until the first day of class. Limit of 125 after class starts. Limit of 56 on travel squad. Limit of number on scholarship.
Thanks. I didn’t know the 125 number. Interesting.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:30 pm

js1010 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:20 pm
The W&M perspective of the game last night is probably similar to ours in 2018 after we went into the fargodome and got thumped 52-10. I think that day Bobcat Nation fully understood the level of physicality and line play needed to hang at the top of the FCS. MSU then committed to the proverbial arms race we needed to in order to compete for a nation championship. It'll be interesting to see if W&M learned a similar lesson or not.
OK, so obviously, JMU managed to do it...but with that said, I think its harder to do in VA than in MT or the Dakotas. What does Virginia have, something like 8 or 10 D1 schools? A few more if you add in the DC FCS schools. And even more close by in MD, WV, NC, etc. Plus, theres competition for eyeballs from other sports...basketball, soccer, NASCAR, etc.

One of the reasons that EWU has had such success over the years is that they were the only D1 team recruiting Washington state. (That changed under Choate, when we started poaching players like Ifanse out from under them)

Anyway, point being is that the MT & Dakotas have some really serious financial & recruiting advantages over the rest of the country.

So can teams like W&M or Richmond or HC or Fordham build the sort of depth in the trenches that we can here? Maybe, but its tough sledding.