Cats vs. William & Mary Quarterfinals Predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cats vs. William & Mary Quarterfinals Predictions

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:03 pm

COTribe90 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:59 pm
onceacat wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:47 pm
COTribe90 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:01 pm
tdub wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:44 pm
COTribe90 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:29 pm
2) Turnovers are a given in a game like this. Can’t afford to lose the turnover battle. WM offense has been pretty good in this department all year, but weather will be a factor. Wilson makes good decisions with the ball. We’ve had one TO in the last four games and are +6 in that same span.
This would be the only point I’d disagree a bit. I don’t think turnovers are a given. MSU has been very, very good not turning it over. And it appears W&M is as well. I think the cold December night and W&M throwing a little more could result in a turnover. But both teams are good taking care of the rock.
Sorry, poor wording. I’m trying to say its “a given” that turnovers are critical in a game like this, not that turnovers are guaranteed to happen.
It always drives me a bit crazy when someone says that turnovers are going to be an issue...thats a Maddenesque tautology along the lines of "Well, Jim, I think whichever team scores more points is gonna come out of here with a win."
Being cliche doesn't make it any less true. I also want a little deeper than simply "turnovers bad". Don't be such a Gris. :wink:
Huge fan of you. =D^

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:35 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:03 pm
COTribe90 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:
tdub wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:
2) Turnovers are a given in a game like this. Can’t afford to lose the turnover battle. WM offense has been pretty good in this department all year, but weather will be a factor. Wilson makes good decisions with the ball. We’ve had one TO in the last four games and are +6 in that same span.
This would be the only point I’d disagree a bit. I don’t think turnovers are a given. MSU has been very, very good not turning it over. And it appears W&M is as well. I think the cold December night and W&M throwing a little more could result in a turnover. But both teams are good taking care of the rock.
Sorry, poor wording. I’m trying to say its “a given” that turnovers are critical in a game like this, not that turnovers are guaranteed to happen.
It always drives me a bit crazy when someone says that turnovers are going to be an issue...thats a Maddenesque tautology along the lines of "Well, Jim, I think whichever team scores more points is gonna come out of here with a win."
Being cliche doesn't make it any less true. I also want a little deeper than simply "turnovers bad". Don't be such a Gris. :wink:
Huge fan of you. =D^
Haven't read the entire thread. Who clued our friend from VA in on the correct spelling of the "gris"?

He's endearing himself to Cat fans with this kind of stuff.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:40 pm

Little write-up from our opponents. I enjoyed it.

https://wmsportsblog.com/2022/12/07/5-w ... t-matters/

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:51 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:40 pm

What's the over under on w&m getting an offensive holding?🤔

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:57 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:51 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

Funny you should ask. On their board they’re worried about the crew coming from the MVC and fixing the game for a BSC/MVC showdown. On the flip side, our fans hate ALL refs and think they’re out to screw us. We never get holding calls and we’re playing a team who’s already determined the fix is in.

That said….I’d put the O/U at 3. And take the under. :sick:

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:14 pm

rivercat wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:35 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:
tdub wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:
Huge fan of you. =D^
Haven't read the entire thread. Who clued our friend from VA in on the correct spelling of the "gris"?

I’m terrible at finding stuff but I was looking for the photo that provided the impetus to their self-imposed spelling name change.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:24 pm

I’m at Bobcats win 33-30. Just giving Cats the home field advantage spread.

I think the Cats get their yards and points. I think we suffer against the run/pass mix of WM. In fact if I was WM, my first six plays might all be deep and intermediate passes to see how well we can defend and if we can really get any pressure on QB. The WM offense runs through Wilson and if we can’t disrupt or pressure his passing it will be a close contest. If we can stop their run and pressure QB the margin could be more…but our pass D weakness is apparent to any OC watching film and subject to exploitation.

I’m hoping for a wider margin so I can get rid of my defibrillator early in Q4….but until then. Let’s get it going.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:34 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:14 pm
rivercat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:
tdub wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:
Huge fan of you. =D^

I’m terrible at finding stuff but I was looking for the photo that provided the impetus to their self-imposed spelling name change.
https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizWTEN/sta ... qdZrg&s=19

It's still on the gris womens tennis twitter.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:43 pm

rivercat wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:34 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:14 pm
rivercat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:
tdub wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:
Huge fan of you. =D^

https://twitter.com/MontanaGrizWTEN/sta ... qdZrg&s=19

It's still on the gris womens tennis twitter.
Ha! Thanks! Hope nobody tells them.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:44 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:24 pm

I think the Cats get their yards and points. I think we suffer against the run/pass mix of WM. In fact if I was WM, my first six plays might all be deep and intermediate passes to see how well we can defend and if we can really get any pressure on QB. The WM offense runs through Wilson and if we can’t disrupt or pressure his passing it will be a close contest. If we can stop their run and pressure QB the margin could be more…but our pass D weakness is apparent to any OC watching film and subject to exploitation.

I’m hoping for a wider margin so I can get rid of my defibrillator early in Q4….but until then. Let’s get it going.
I know this is all for fun. But just out of curiosity, what makes you think we’ll score the lowest we have the entire season and at the same time give up as many points as we’ve only given up 3 times?

My take on your prediction is if W&M holds us to our lowest score all year; they deserve to win.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:03 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:44 pm
BobcatDel wrote:

I know this is all for fun. But just out of curiosity, what makes you think we’ll score the lowest we have the entire season and at the same time give up as many points as we’ve only given up 3 times?

My take on your prediction is if W&M holds us to our lowest score all year; they deserve to win.
Ok…if I discount the OSU game which was lower. Didn’t we just beat Weber scoring only 33 points? And yeah you can argue strength of schedule but WM ranks with just a slightly better rushing D than Weber.

And yes the Cats have the 2nd highest rushing offense in nation but WM has 4th best. If WM is effective at rushing (with an arguably better rush/pass) mix then doesn’t that mean fewer possessions for Cats? And two effective rushing teams often shorten the game clock.

And I don’t know field/playing conditions yet but that could be a factor for both teams.

I don’t know….I didn’t see your prediction…do you think we put up 50?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:16 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:03 am
ilovethecats wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:

Ok…if I discount the OSU game which was lower. Didn’t we just beat Weber scoring only 33 points? And yeah you can argue strength of schedule but WM ranks with just a slightly better rushing D than Weber.

And yes the Cats have the 2nd highest rushing offense in nation but WM has 4th best. If WM is effective at rushing (with an arguably better rush/pass) mix then doesn’t that mean fewer possessions for Cats? And two effective rushing teams often shorten the game clock.

And I don’t know field/playing conditions yet but that could be a factor for both teams.

I appreciate the explanation!

We DID just score 33 on Weber. Our lowest output of the season sans OSU. I’m of the belief WSU is the best D we’ve played this year in the FCS.

I wasn’t calling out your prediction. They’re all guesses. I was more just curious if you saw something in their defense that made you think we’d be held (in a tie!) for our lowest output this year.

I don’t think I gave a prediction aside from suggesting we’ll win by 14+. I was labeled arrogant and cocky. But I will. I’ll say….

Cats 48
Tribe 27

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:26 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:16 am
BobcatDel wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:

We DID just score 33 on Weber. Our lowest output of the season sans OSU. I’m of the belief WSU is the best D we’ve played this year in the FCS.

I wasn’t calling out your prediction. They’re all guesses. I was more just curious if you saw something in their defense that made you think we’d be held (in a tie!) for our lowest output this year.

I don’t think I gave a prediction aside from suggesting we’ll win by 14+. I was labeled arrogant and cocky. But I will. I’ll say….

Cats 48
Tribe 27
I hope you are more right than me! Guess I am just conservative at this point of season with eight teams that have earned their way to this point….so I am not discounting WM as much as others? 🤷‍♂️. And I will be bundled up in the stands cheering Cats on!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:32 am

After watching some B&M footage, I’m going…

Them 24
Bobcats 41

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:26 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:16 am
BobcatDel wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:

Cats 48
Tribe 27
I hope you are more right than me! Guess I am just conservative at this point of season with eight teams that have earned their way to this point….so I am not discounting WM as much as others? 🤷‍♂️. And I will be bundled up in the stands cheering Cats on!
Del: I don’t think W&M is as good against the run as Weber. Weber is at 3.9 ypc W&M is 4.3. Weber had to play MSU twice while W&M didn’t play any teams with the ability MSU has. If you take out MSU from Weber’s stats they’re probably down around 3.0 per game. London is a good coach but it’s going to be tough to find a solution to MSU’s run game on a short week.

MSU 45, W&M 42

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:24 am

I think our Offense rolls up 45 and our Defense stiffens and holds 35. A ten point win at home tomorrow night!

bcatfan1

Post by bcatfan1 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:37 am

Cats win 42-27.

And we throw less than 10 passes all game.

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:02 am

Montanabob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Ha… 0.5.

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:04 am

ilovethecats wrote:

Very cool write up. I wish more Tribe fans made the trip considering how supportive and large of a fan base they seem to have. Playing another team with a passionate fan base is so much better than digging through archives to see 3-post threads like we’ve seen with some teams this season.

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:11 am

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:02 am
Montanabob wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Ha… 0.5.
And I still take the under.

-Elias P. Harmon-