Bobcats vs. the Tribe quarter finals

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Bobcats vs. the Tribe quarter finals

Post by DMMDCats » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:51 pm

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:24 pm

DMMDCats wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:51 pm
Haley’s take:

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/12/fcs-q ... ana-state/
Still feel great about this game but this is as close to a kiss of death as there is. Dude is almost never right.

If we score 32 or fewer I’ll eat my hat. Again…. :oops:

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:30 am

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:36 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:55 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:52 am
COTribe90 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:43 am
PortlandCat90 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:57 am
More trivia for our W&M friends:

What one university in Montana invented Football, has the player with the most tackles on one play (9), has won the most National Championships since 2000 (27), and has been forced to expand their Champions Center trophy shelf due to lack of space?
Obviously, that’s the Griz and you forgot about this year, so the correct number of national championships now stands at 28 :wink:
I think you’ll get along just fine in Bozeman! 😂
Robbie just got 12 more solos, 3 assists, and they reduced his missed tackles count by 23.
I saw Bobby tweet out a new safety recruit… Hobby Rauck? Sounds familiar.
Has he been awarded any tackles yet?

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:34 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:24 pm
DMMDCats wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:51 pm
Haley’s take:

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/12/fcs-q ... ana-state/
Still feel great about this game but this is as close to a kiss of death as there is. Dude is almost never right.

If we score 32 or fewer I’ll eat my hat. Again…. :oops:
He did pick us over Weber, and the score was close to actual - 35-24.

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:54 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:30 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:36 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:55 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:52 am
COTribe90 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:43 am
PortlandCat90 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:57 am
More trivia for our W&M friends:

What one university in Montana invented Football, has the player with the most tackles on one play (9), has won the most National Championships since 2000 (27), and has been forced to expand their Champions Center trophy shelf due to lack of space?
Obviously, that’s the Griz and you forgot about this year, so the correct number of national championships now stands at 28 :wink:
I think you’ll get along just fine in Bozeman! 😂
Robbie just got 12 more solos, 3 assists, and they reduced his missed tackles count by 23.
I saw Bobby tweet out a new safety recruit… Hobby Rauck? Sounds familiar.
Has he been awarded any tackles yet?
Well now that you mention it…

COTribe90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by COTribe90 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:58 am

https://tribeathletics.com/news/2022/12 ... cd168b5baf

Good article discussing Tribe’s offensive line, which turned from preseason question mark into a real strength. Of course, not nearly as good as all the OL’s the Bobcats have faced in the BSC, so nothing to worry about. :wink:

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:10 am

COTribe90 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:58 am
https://tribeathletics.com/news/2022/12 ... cd168b5baf

Good article discussing Tribe’s offensive line, which turned from preseason question mark into a real strength. Of course, not nearly as good as all the OL’s the Bobcats have faced in the BSC, so nothing to worry about. :wink:
This is something we can all bond over. Preseason expectations were very low for our offensive line as well. They turned out to be an extremely reliable asset this season!

COTribe90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by COTribe90 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:59 am

Okay Bobcats, something has just come to my attention. We need to talk. Nearly without exception, Bobcat fans have been discounting WM’s statistical advantages or competitiveness in some areas and justifying it by claiming the CAA is an inferior conference offering inferior competition. I’ve let that slide for the most part because there’s so little basis for actual comparison (common opponents) and because the center of gravity (at least at an elite level of play) has undoubtedly shifted west of the Mississippi in recent years.

However, I just took a gander at your schedule. Ya’ll played the bottom 5 in the BSC, with a combined 8 conference wins between them. MSU avoided playing Idaho and Sac State. Seems you want to live off the BSC conference rep without putting in the work! Don’t believe me, lets’s dive in to the numbers.

Here’s what Massey shows. The averaged Massey ranking of WMs CAA conference opponents is 43.7. The average Massey ranking of MSU’s conference opponents is 56.0. WM played 6 teams in the top 50. MSU played 3 teams in the top 50. Personally, I have no doubt MSU will be able to hang with WM despite playing the easier conference schedule :wink:

Now I don’t know what will happen tomorrow night beyond the fact that two very good teams that have equally earned the right to be here will face off and settle it on the field.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:11 am

COTribe90 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:59 am
Okay Bobcats, something has just come to my attention. We need to talk. Nearly without exception, Bobcat fans have been discounting WM’s statistical advantages or competitiveness in some areas and justifying it by claiming the CAA is an inferior conference offering inferior competition. I’ve let that slide for the most part because there’s so little basis for actual comparison (common opponents) and because the center of gravity (at least at an elite level of play) has undoubtedly shifted west of the Mississippi in recent years.

However, I just took a gander at your schedule. Ya’ll played the bottom 5 in the BSC, with a combined 8 conference wins between them. MSU avoided playing Idaho and Sac State. Seems you want to live off the BSC conference rep without putting in the work! Don’t believe me, lets’s dive in to the numbers.

Here’s what Massey shows. The averaged Massey ranking of WMs CAA conference opponents is 43.7. The average Massey ranking of MSU’s conference opponents is 56.0. WM played 6 teams in the top 50. MSU played 3 teams in the top 50. Personally, I have no doubt MSU will be able to hang with WM despite playing the easier conference schedule :wink:

Now I don’t know what will happen tomorrow night beyond the fact that two very good teams that have equally earned the right to be here will face off and settle it on the field.
We don't cherry-pick; unfortunately the Big Sky commissioner's office lines up the conference schedule for each team every season. With an unbalanced conference, we don't get to play every team in the conference every year. Believe me, it's a point of contention to many of our fans and other BSC fans every season. Take a peek at our 2023 schedule, and you will see a very different schedule.

That said, you play the teams that are put in front of you. The Cats did that, beating everyone including two playoff teams (EweM and Weber), and a team that was on the playoff bubble (UC Davis).

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:19 am

COTribe90 wrote:

I think we're so confident in our offense based on what they did to two of the best defenses in the country (before playing us) in the griz and Weber State. We're also confident because our RB room has been decimated by injuries this season and hasn't skipped a beat (with a lot of help from the QBs). There has been some direct discounting of W&M and the CAA but I think that has mostly been by default due to how much confidence we have in our team. We just can't imagine anyone outside of the DSUs holding us to under 300 yards on the ground after what we've done against the formerly elite defenses we've faced, which were statistically much better than W&M. Oh, and we also just got possibly the best RB in the nation back last week from a season-long injury.

Many of us are concerned about how our defense holds up against your very productive offense but we'd be shocked if we didn't score at least 35 points based on the above. We aren't discounting W&M so much as we're just supremely confident in our own team right now. I think this will be our most competitive game to date this season.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

COTribe90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by COTribe90 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:21 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:11 am
COTribe90 wrote:

We don't cherry-pick; unfortunately the Big Sky commissioner's office lines up the conference schedule for each team every season. With an unbalanced conference, we don't get to play every team in the conference every year. Believe me, it's a point of contention to many of our fans and other BSC fans every season. Take a peek at our 2023 schedule, and you will see a very different schedule.

That said, you play the teams that are put in front of you. The Cats did that, beating everyone including two playoff teams (EweM and Weber), and a team that was on the playoff bubble (UC Davis).
No doubt, I wasn’t implying in away way that MSU was ducking the top teams. I know you only control what you can control. The point was there has been a lot of hubris from a number of Cat fans, justifying gaudy score predictions and downplaying the Tribe’s team and chances. Much of that hubris is grounded in the perception that MSU, by virtue of playing in the BSC, is more battle tested than WM. As I lay out above, that is not the case. Though marginal, WM actually played the tougher schedule.

Now, I can hear it already, “but you lost to ELON and the Bobcat’s went undefeated”. This is true and I blame Elon’s long snapper for this. He could have sailed at least two snaps.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:23 am

COTribe90 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:21 am
Camo_Cat wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:

No doubt, I wasn’t implying in away way that MSU was ducking the top teams. I know you only control what you can control. The point was there has been a lot of hubris from a number of Cat fans, justifying gaudy score predictions and downplaying the Tribe’s team and chances. Much of that hubris is grounded in the perception that MSU, by virtue of playing in the BSC, is more battle tested than WM. As I lay out above, that is not the case. Though marginal, WM actually played the tougher schedule.

Now, I can hear it already, “but you lost to ELON and the Bobcat’s went undefeated”. This is true and I blame Elon’s long snapper for this. He could have sailed at least two snaps.
:lol: =D^

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:24 am

COTribe90 wrote:

Idaho barely beat gris and lost to UC Davis. Sac barely beat Weber, gris, and UCD. MSU beat Weber twice and trounced gris

Sports is not bigger than life

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:27 am

COTribe90 wrote:

Here's something to talk about with your Tribe friends, I realize you guys think your going to show up and completely stop our run game in our house, but here's a take from a Weber State fan:

What MSU’s rush offense did to Weber was pretty shocking. Not even P5 teams have done that to Weber in the Jay Hill era. For me, the main issue is that Weber wasn’t able to make many plays in the backfield. You have to get MSU behind the sticks to get off the field.

It should be noted Weber's Defense absolutely shut down G5 Utah State this year on their way to blowing them out 35-7. USU was held to 126 rushing yards and 158 passing yard and their only score came on a kick return.

This is why as fans we are confident in our team.

COTribe90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by COTribe90 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:30 am

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:19 am
COTribe90 wrote:

I think we're so confident in our offense based on what they did to two of the best defenses in the country (before playing us) in the griz and Weber State. We're also confident because our RB room has been decimated by injuries this season and hasn't skipped a beat (with a lot of help from the QBs). There has been some direct discounting of W&M and the CAA but I think that has mostly been by default due to how much confidence we have in our team. We just can't imagine anyone outside of the DSUs holding us to under 300 yards on the ground after what we've done against the formerly elite defenses we've faced, which were statistically much better than W&M. Oh, and we also just got possibly the best RB in the nation back last week from a season-long injury.

Many of us are concerned about how our defense holds up against your very productive offense but we'd be shocked if we didn't score at least 35 points based on the above. We aren't discounting W&M so much as we're just supremely confident in our own team right now. I think this will be our most competitive game to date this season.
I would take exception to the bolded. I don’t believe that’s accurate. I also don’t think WM has to hold MSU to under 300 yards rushing to win the game. I think both teams move the ball between the 20’s. Comes down to offensive and defensive redzone efficiency and turnovers at that point.

WM is deep at RB as well, problem remains there is only one ball to go around.

I’d expect Bobcat fans to be extremely confident, especially at home, and rightfully so. It’s the discounting of WM based on “gut feeling” and air of BSC superiority that I find a bit disrespectful.
Last edited by COTribe90 on Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:31 am

COTribe90 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:

Every time someone references the Weber long snapper I think "tell me you didn't watch the game without telling me you didn't watch the game".

But yes, unfortunately you faced early season Captain McKay, not November McKay.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:32 am

COTribe90 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
COTribe90 wrote:

We’ve probably had a worse schedule, but also played better teams.

COTribe90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by COTribe90 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:32 am

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:24 am
COTribe90 wrote:

Idaho barely beat gris and lost to UC Davis. Sac barely beat Weber, gris, and UCD. MSU beat Weber twice and trounced gris
That’s quite the pretzel you’re making.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:33 am

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:24 am
COTribe90 wrote:

In that same aspect, we barely beat NAU and EWU. Each game is its own. Transitive property doesn’t work for football. Matchups matter.

COTribe90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by COTribe90 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:35 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:27 am
COTribe90 wrote:

Here's something to talk about with your Tribe friends, I realize you guys think your going to show up and completely stop our run game in our house, but here's a take from a Weber State fan:

What MSU’s rush offense did to Weber was pretty shocking. Not even P5 teams have done that to Weber in the Jay Hill era. For me, the main issue is that Weber wasn’t able to make many plays in the backfield. You have to get MSU behind the sticks to get off the field.

It should be noted Weber's Defense absolutely shut down G5 Utah State this year on their way to blowing them out 35-7. USU was held to 126 rushing yards and 158 passing yard and their only score came on a kick return.

This is why as fans we are confident in our team.
Actually, not a single Tribe fan that I’m aware of has made this claim (see bolded). At least not on our message board or on here.