Bill and Mary @ Montana State 8:15pm Friday - ESPN2

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bill and Mary @ Montana State 8:15pm Friday - ESPN2

Post by coloradocat » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:06 pm

utucats wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:28 pm
This is part of us being a dominant program in FCS. Bill and Mary will show up (like their fans have here) full of hope and our vastly superior team is going to smash the hope right out of them.

The fact is, we are just tougher than them. Our players are tougher, our State is better, our fans drink more, our weather is colder, our work ethic is superior, our women are uglier. Everything about Friday night smells like a bloodbath. MSU 65 W&M 14
Having lived in both states, nothing you said is incorrect.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

COTribe90
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by COTribe90 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:03 am

utucats wrote:
This is part of us being a dominant program in FCS. Bill and Mary will show up (like their fans have here) full of hope and our vastly superior team is going to smash the hope right out of them.

The fact is, we are just tougher than them. Our players are tougher, our State is better, our fans drink more, our weather is colder, our work ethic is superior, our women are uglier. Everything about Friday night smells like a bloodbath. MSU 65 W&M 14
Well shoot, I read this and went ahead and canceled my flight.

I can’t abide ugly women.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:18 am

Since 2018 MSU has played 7 more games than W&M. In the past 2 years alone MSU has played 4 more games than W&M. If we look only at playoff games since 2018, MSU has played 10 games to W&M's 1 and 5:1 more in the last 2 years.

My point is that any extra games that either team has been able to play have been opportunities to help that team and its players develop and improve their skills. MSU has had many more of those opportunities, especially when it comes to playoff games where the competition should be the stiffest.

In MSU’s 7 playoff wins since 2018 the closest margin of victory has been 14 points, with the most recent being against SDSU last year 31-17. Wins like that tell us that MSU has measured up quite well to the best of the FCS and there is no reason to think we won’t measure up well this year. There’s not much historic data to tell us how W&M stacks up against the best of FCS teams but with a record of 11-1 and their win last week they’ve earned the chance to play MSU Friday night and find out how well they stack up. May the best team win.

As an aside coach Vigen coached in the championship last year and as an assistant with NDSU multiple times. W&M’s coach London won the championship in 2008 as the head coach of Richmond when they beat UM 24-7.

Past performance and results do not limit nor guarantee future performance and results. All the same I like the direction history points towards here and the way the Bobcats have been playing better and better as the season has gone on.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:21 am

So when we suggest we could win this game by double digits we’re arrogant and cocky. But you go to their board and no doubt if the game was played there they’d win by double digits, a neutral field they win by a touchdown, and here in Bozeman it’s a “toss up”.

Seems to me both fanbases are pretty similar.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:38 am

Sam Becton at NCAA rated the top 50 QBs in the FCS. I have no idea who he is or if he knows what he's talking about.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... ne-article
He has Tommy Mellott and Sean Chambers from MSU rated together at #6 while he put Darius Wilson from W&M at 22.
Wilson looks dangerous enough to me that his #22 rating gives me little to no comfort.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

MinnesotaJack
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MinnesotaJack » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:32 am

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:02 pm
MinnesotaJack wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:31 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:27 pm
mrjoolius wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:27 pm
Look, I get it. Running the ball is your MO, and y'all do it well. You guys averaged 330ypg, which is impressive. I already conceded that I didn't think we'd shut down your run game. But there is a difference between giving up 250, your 330 average, and 450+ like some posters claimed. I'd say success is holding you guys below your average combined with limiting TDs. Is it possible you gash us for 360 plus? Absolutely. I don't think it happens, but you never know.
When the Cats went into the um game, (last game of the regular season) um was ranked 6th for rushing defense, they were giving up somewhere around 65 yards per game, MSU rushed for 439 against them, after that game they were ranked #36 for rushing offense. over a third of the rushing yards they had given up at the end of the regular season were from that one game alone.

SEMO rushed for 87 against them the following week. last week NDSU used some of the same principals and rushed for 453 against them. so their defense held everyone except MSU and NDSU to under 100 yards, while MSU and NDSU rushed for over 400.

I don't see it as crazy to think that we might rush for 400+ against a team that gives up 144 y/g (almost double of what the gris gave up against other teams)
Your point how you and NDSU wrecked Montana's defensive rushing stats is valid but the numbers are off. They were allowing 97.3 ypg (#8) before the Brawl. SEMO then ran for 142 against them followed by NDSU running all over them as well. I think you might've meant that everyone not named Montana State & North Dakota State AVERAGED below 100 yards per game, it is pretty close but it is just over at 101 ypg. SEMO, Sac State & Weber all ran for well over 100 yards against them.

Montana did give up more yards rushing in their final 3 games (1,034) than they did in the first 10 combined (973).
I'll accept yur corrections, my point still stands. I wrote this mostly from memory.

BTW we all HC fans this week :lol:
As well you should be! :wink:

Good luck to both teams in Bozeman Friday, I'm really looking forward to this one.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:46 am

COTribe90 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:03 am
utucats wrote:

They are hard workers though!

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:56 am

MinnesotaJack wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:32 am
cats2506 wrote:
MinnesotaJack wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
mrjoolius wrote:
Look, I get it. Running the ball is your MO, and y'all do it well. You guys averaged 330ypg, which is impressive. I already conceded that I didn't think we'd shut down your run game. But there is a difference between giving up 250, your 330 average, and 450+ like some posters claimed. I'd say success is holding you guys below your average combined with limiting TDs. Is it possible you gash us for 360 plus? Absolutely. I don't think it happens, but you never know.
When the Cats went into the um game, (last game of the regular season) um was ranked 6th for rushing defense, they were giving up somewhere around 65 yards per game, MSU rushed for 439 against them, after that game they were ranked #36 for rushing offense. over a third of the rushing yards they had given up at the end of the regular season were from that one game alone.

SEMO rushed for 87 against them the following week. last week NDSU used some of the same principals and rushed for 453 against them. so their defense held everyone except MSU and NDSU to under 100 yards, while MSU and NDSU rushed for over 400.

I don't see it as crazy to think that we might rush for 400+ against a team that gives up 144 y/g (almost double of what the gris gave up against other teams)
Your point how you and NDSU wrecked Montana's defensive rushing stats is valid but the numbers are off. They were allowing 97.3 ypg (#8) before the Brawl. SEMO then ran for 142 against them followed by NDSU running all over them as well. I think you might've meant that everyone not named Montana State & North Dakota State AVERAGED below 100 yards per game, it is pretty close but it is just over at 101 ypg. SEMO, Sac State & Weber all ran for well over 100 yards against them.

Montana did give up more yards rushing in their final 3 games (1,034) than they did in the first 10 combined (973).
I'll accept yur corrections, my point still stands. I wrote this mostly from memory.

Good luck to both teams in Bozeman Friday, I'm really looking forward to this one.
Yeah, watched HC @ UNH last night, don't think I gonna be on the winning end of that one. Good luck to the Jacks.

EDIT: Just saw this, that game was at HC
Last edited by cats2506 on Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:04 am

COTribe90 wrote:
utucats wrote:

They all have man hands. :lol:

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:38 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:43 pm
We get in our own way as much as the opposition does and we still score 35+/game.
Following the NAU game, there has been a significant change in running all those cute plays. There has been a lot more sticking to our bread and butter, and that sure the hell has shown in the stats sheet!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:40 am

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:56 am
MinnesotaJack wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
MinnesotaJack wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
mrjoolius wrote:

Yeah, watched HC @ UNH last night, don't think I gonna be on the winning end of that one. Good luck to the Jacks.

Just one question about the pink team. How many teams did they beat that had a winning record?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:52 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:40 am
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:56 am
MinnesotaJack wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
MinnesotaJack wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
mrjoolius wrote:

Just one question about the pink team. How many teams did they beat that had a winning record?
Don't know, but they play in the patriot league so the competition isn't that great. oh yeah, they played Yale [-X

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:35 am

Looks like W&M team is scheduled to arrive at 3:38 this afternoon. They might get a good view flying in with any luck.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:47 am

There are a lot of open seats still. I think the 8:15 on a Friday night is going to keep a lot of people from showing up. We absolutely need at least 13k+.

Punters are people too!!

Catbacker_1
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catbacker_1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:48 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:06 pm
utucats wrote:

Having lived in both states, nothing you said is incorrect.
I spent a short time in Va. Beach. Gotta say the only other place I enjoyed living outside of Montana.

Image.
It’s spelled offense and defense

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:56 am

Tribefan wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:30 pm
I'm also getting the impression that some statistics are valid and other statistics are not. I think it has to be one or the other.
Exactly 43.67315159% of statistics are useless. I learned that from a statistician. 😂

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:23 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:47 am
There are a lot of open seats still. I think the 8:15 on a Friday night is going to keep a lot of people from showing up. We absolutely need at least 13k+.
I feel good about having more than that. But no doubt the 8:15pm on a Friday night is hurting us.

Which is odd because none of our fans really travel to watch our games.... :-k

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:37 am

COTribe90 wrote:
utucats wrote:

C’mon man! Virginia is for lovers!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:39 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:23 am
GoCats18 wrote:
I feel good about having more than that. But no doubt the 8:15pm on a Friday night is hurting us.

I wonder how many MSU fans are missing this game that wouldn't have missed a quarterfinal game a couple years ago. I'm thinking some people are getting used to success and a QF game isn't quite the thrill it once was. I doubt there's much of that yet--it's probably more the Friday night deal. You see it with NDSU though seems like...they're not getting the crowds they once did. Hopefully it never stops being exciting and our fans keep showing up.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:41 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:39 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:23 am
GoCats18 wrote:

I wonder how many MSU fans are missing this game that wouldn't have missed a quarterfinal game a couple years ago. I'm thinking some people are getting used to success and a QF game isn't quite the thrill it once was. I doubt there's much of that yet--it's probably more the Friday night deal. You see it with NDSU though seems like...they're not getting the crowds they once did. Hopefully it never stops being exciting and our fans keep showing up.
I think it's definitely the Friday night deal. Cat fans come from all over the state and surrounding states for the games. Having the game on a Friday night in December makes traveling pretty difficult for a lot of people.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter